Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saas Fee or Obergurgl for first ever ski holiday end of March?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
SunnyLiving wrote:
@Langerzug, thanks for your reply! How much more dressed up are we talking? What would you suggest? Thanks again

The E&G is not a stuffy stuck-up kind of place despite it being a very smart hotel, everyone is quite relaxed there (at least last time I was there). I would say wear what you are comfortable in, nobody is going to complain.

There was always lots of children there when we were there (at half term usually) and they often wore ski gear to breakfast. It is quite a warm hotel and dining room though so I usually just wore jeans and t-shirt for breakfast and would have done the same for dinner too if it were not for the complaints from my wife about me being scruffy (she likes to get dressed up).

I still wore jeans to dinner but something a bit smarter than an old t-shirt on top, either a casual shirt or rugby polo shirt but nobody will care if you want to wear jeans, trainers and t-shirt, it will be fine. it's your holiday, you are paying the bill so do what makes you feel comfortable not what other people expect (unless like in my case it's my wife who expects it where it's easier to comply with the rules Happy)

It used to be a very popular hotel at Feb half-term to the extent that you could not book at half term unless you managed to get an advance booking form by staying in the hotel the previous year at some time. Once you got a half-term slot you were guaranteed to get a space every year afterwards though as long as you filled out the form in time before they accepted general bookings. Even if you tried to book one year in advance they would not accept a half-term booking until all the regulars had had a chance to get a room first.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Also definitely plan an apres-ski visit to the Nederhutte. The owners family play in their own live band and they are very good. They even have a 'snowmobile train' to take people home who have had too much beer/schnapps to be able to ski. When my son was small he used to like to see how much quicker we could ski back down to town than the 'train'.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stayed at the E&G and the Gotthard-Zeit which are probably the prociest hotels in the village. In both I've been in a base layer top and salopettes for breakfast and as long as they're not filthy nobody said anything. For dinner a polo and smart jeans / chinos will be fine, trainers at dinner are probably the only no-no
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks so much for all replies, I think we should be safe in jeans & polo shirt/jumper for the evenings from reading them all. To be honest we will likely be in joggers and t-shirt for breakfast as even when staying in some top luxury hotels we have never gotten really dressed up for breakfast. Joggers and t-shirts are of course clean and smart - not old washed up items and we've never had a problem before. If trainers a no-no in evening, what shoes would you suggest - I'm trying my best to plan my packing list so we don't have 3 bulging overweight cases. We've already got slippers, flip flops (for spa area) and snow boots on the list and then the shoes we travel in - either vans or converse. I don't want to be bringing leather boots or something equally as bulky in our cases, especially when going around town or out in the evenings we will be wearing snow boots (they are pajar/sorel boots so quite fashionable while also being waterproof / good grip for any ice or slush we encounter). The "smartest" shoes our 12 yo has are air force 1s Laughing and I don't want to be buying him smart leather shoes that he's only going to wear once for this trip.

Thanks again, this site is so so helpful!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was curious about hotel dress codes in Obergurgl, so I did a search, and there are some that explicitly state no sportswear or trainers. Would never occur to me to take formal shoes on holiday.

And of course there was already a thread on here about the subject.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=124151
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ste_B thank you, I read that before asking and came out just as confused as I went in Laughing I find dress codes are difficult because of the times we live in. Years ago I think it was a lot easier to work out what was expected, these days I struggle! I'd never dream of going to dinner in running shoes which I would class a sportswear but to me a nice pair of Veja leather trainers are absolutely smart casual. Similar for my husband, if he's in smart (not ripped / baggy) jeans and a pair of similar leather trainers then I would class as smart casual, even with a t-shirt but clearly that's not the consensus here. I don't see a polo shirt as any smarter than a well fitted clean t-shirt and tbh I don't care what other people are wearing as long as they aren't smelly. I only notice people being overly loud and obnoxious, and whatever they're wearing isn't saving them Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Courchevel 1850.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just email the hotel. They’ll happily advise. Thats what I’ve done and reassures my wife it’s all fine.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Also an article on it in the independent this week - basically they loved it and try snow biking. Here are the other salient points.

Obertauern’s ski area has a typically Austrian quotient of challenging, upper intermediate red runs. Those wanting an easier ride can opt for a delightful anticlockwise round tour on mostly blue pistes. This is a clever way of ensuring you explore the full extent of the Obertauern’s 100km of pistes served by 26 lifts. And – joy! – the piste map actually includes arrows to show the direction of pistes. A rarity.

Getting there
British Airways, easyJet, Ryanair, Jet2, Tui and Wizz Air fly direct to Salzburg, which is less than 90 minutes’ drive from Obertauern, from 11 UK airports.
Reaching Obertauern by train takes just over 17 hours from London, taking the Eurostar to Brussels, boarding the Nightjet to Salzburg, then a local train to Radstadt, which is 20 minutes by bus from Obertauern. In addition to sleeper compartments, the Nightjet is currently trialling single person sleeping pods.
Colin travelled as a guest of Obertauern, Salzburgerland, Austria and Valamar’s Places hotel, which offers rooms half board from €250 (£213) a night. The resort is open from late November until early May, and an adult day pass costs €59 (£50), with week-long passes costing €286 (£244). Passes for more than one day are also valid on the 50km of pistes in the Grosseck-Speiereck region located 15 minutes away.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy