Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Define “Smart/ Casual” in a Ski Hotel

Poster: A snowHead
Off to Morzine, Hotel Viking, in a few weeks time. Slightly concerned to read “The dress code for evening meals is smart/casual”. Anyone got any advice? Surely we are not expected to pack lots of daft clothes for the week?
My definition of smart-casual would be clean / newish jeans, T-shirt or blouse and a fleece without pet hairs. Please someone tell me it doesn’t mean a dress and the OH needs to pack a sports jacket Puzzled for a Crystal 3* Ski hotel??
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@JanA, I'd say do what pleases you, ignore it. You paid for a room and board not for the fashion police to scrutinise you.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That just means they'd prefer you to change out of ski gear before dinner.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Slap some boardshorts over your budgiesmugglers and a hoodie over your wifebeater.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No work clothes
For the Viking leave axes, horned helmets and bearskins in your room.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
At a 3* hotel?
Base layers or a onesie?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@JanA, I would imagine you are pretty safe with what you suggest, although I think you would technically be driving a coach and horses through the term 'smart/casual' with either a fleece (with or without pet hairs) or a T-Shirt. If it was me, in any sort of ski hotel, then I'd personally go for clean jeans with shirt and decent jumper.

In some countries I think you have to bear in mind what others will be wearing. The Brits tend to be the shabbiest by far, and if the hotel has a broad mix of nationalities then I think you might want to dress up quite a bit more so you don't feel seriously out of place.

I definitely don't think you need a dress or sports jacket, but maybe just one step down from it.

@Pruman, it's not a question of fashion police. If 95% of your guests take the trouble to dress smartly then, for the comfort of all, you don't really want the other 5% dressing like tramps. Or vice versa.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Given the cost of high end ski gear (and its ultimate use for some folks) I'd be more worried but not surprised to read, “The dress code for evening meals is Peak Perf., Norrona or Arc'teryx”
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Anything which is one step up from shaggy slippers setting off the base layers you've been wearing all day.

If it's as stupidly overheated as most ski hotels you won't want to be wearing a fleece in the dining room. Decent jeans and a reasonable top/shirt should do it.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
They are basically saying have a shower/bath and change for dinner.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had a similar instruction for a hotel in Austria with inghams. They confirmed it just meant no ski wear. I wore jeans and a tshirt for and had no problems about dress and plenty of others were wearing the same. I shouldn't bother about a sports jacket unless it's your normal attire and you want to wear it
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have been to Hotel Viking in Morzine, smart casual without the smart should do it. Jeans and a tee shirt.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Beachwear. Works everywhere.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
foxtrotzulu wrote:

@Pruman, it's not a question of fashion police. If 95% of your guests take the trouble to dress smartly then, for the comfort of all, you don't really want the other 5% dressing like tramps. Or vice versa.

The other guests won't though. Why would anyone allow a UK tour operator with their unique idea of a 3 star (think 2 stars) dictate the dress code? As long as I'm comfortable I really don't care what others around me chose to wear (weddings, funerals, black tie aside)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@T Bar, Laughing
ski holidays
@Pruman,
Quote:

The other guests won't though. Why would anyone allow a UK tour operator with their unique idea of a 3 star (think 2 stars) dictate the dress code?
It's not necessarily a question of Crystal 'dictating' dress code. It's more likely to be the hotel owners. Are you assuming that all the guests will be going through Crystal? Certainly wasn't the case when we stayed with Crystal in Obergurgl. That was a 4* and 'smart casual' would have been a pretty accurate description of how people are dressed - most of whom were neither British nor travelling with Crystal. Like you, many people won't care if they are over/under dressed, but quite a few will do.
ski holidays
Pruman wrote:
foxtrotzulu wrote:

The other guests won't though. Why would anyone allow a UK tour operator with their unique idea of a 3 star (think 2 stars) dictate the dress code? As long as I'm comfortable I really don't care what others around me chose to wear (weddings, funerals, black tie aside)

The Tour Operator aren't defining anything.

They are just passing on hotel requirements, unless it is a "club hotel", in which case it is run by them, and they can require whatever they want (subject to legela restrictions of course).
latest report
Quote:

“The dress code for evening meals is smart/casual”

Intersting concept. I would take as meaning no swim wear and no nightwear (though someitmes the difference between nightdresses and evening dresses is a bit difficult to spot). When used at my work it is used to mean no suits, dinner jackets, or evening dresses (and pearls), just ordinary clothes
ski holidays
Our work dress code is described as 'smart casual' which means that we all wear jeans, hoodies, trainers, clean and in good condition.
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
Our work dress code is described as 'smart casual' which means that we all wear jeans, hoodies, trainers, clean and in good condition.

I'm not saying you are inappropriately dressed for whatever work you do, open air pharmaceutical sales perhaps, but you'd be pushed to describe that as 'smart casual.' 😀
snow conditions
@JanA, they're saying don't pitch up at 8pm straight from apres in full kit, and don't sit down wearing a towelling robe over undercrackers and flipflops. Somewhere in between will be fine.
ski holidays
Can't believe this thread exists. It really is so simple.....

http://youtube.com/v/PDj3t5l5DZk
snow conditions
cameronphillips2000 wrote:

Classic Laughing
snow report
@foxtrotzulu, graphic design. Smart casual = art student chic.
snow conditions
cameronphillips2000 wrote:

http://youtube.com/v/PDj3t5l5DZk

Hahaha brilliant!
snow report
The Viking is at the top of a gondola in Morzine so you are stuck up there at night. If you don't know what "smart casual" is you probably don't possess the correct clothes for most of the civilised world
snow conditions
Perhaps its Morzine, I wasn't allowed into a bar after 7 in ski gear following a longer than expected first après stop, and it wasn't just me in case you think there may have been an ulterior reason.
snow report
That's weird (see another thread re French extra bits)) but I didn't put an accent on après!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
'Smart casual' is a stupid term. It has no agreed definition and I suspect any establishment stating it as a requirement really means 'we reserve the right to tell you to sod off if we don't like the look of you'.
snow report
Dr John wrote:
and don't sit down wearing a towelling robe over undercrackers and flipflops. Somewhere in between will be fine.

It has happened on a bash. I won"t name names because I want to go on more bashes. wink
ski holidays
@geepee, not to mention still being in ski attire... wink
snow report
Smart/Casual is a non sequitur. A complete fiction and judgemental. Wear what you like, you've paid to be there.
latest report
geepee wrote:
Dr John wrote:
and don't sit down wearing a towelling robe over undercrackers and flipflops. Somewhere in between will be fine.

It has happened on a bash. I won"t name names because I want to go on more bashes. wink

Some may not have been wearing the undercrackers
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
geepee wrote:
Dr John wrote:

Some may not have been wearing the undercrackers

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
We stayed in Le Viking twice and the dress code for me was whatever I felt like (except stinky ski gear). I'm not that keen on being told what to do, especially on holiday, but cannot remember ever wearing more than shorts/jeans and t-shirt or possibly a polo at a push at any stage during the week.

Breakfast for me at any chalet or hotel is always the same. Merino base layer with either unzipped hard shell if i'm in a hurry or running shorts ready for a quick change.

Back on Le Viking the hotel has a great location but it isn't all that smart, the bar downstairs was pretty ratty and smelled of stale beer.

Whatever you do, take bum sledges if you have kids in your party because it is great for the kids to mess around on the hill after dinner (flood lit) while you sit in the bar!! Have a great trip.
snow report
Ah, breakfast wear. I must confess to having found compression tights on a very large person a bit of a challenging sight first thing in the morning in Arabba. Skullie
snow conditions
Why is it that some people think the skins they run in are suitable breakfast wear without some sort of
Modesty cover? I do not need to know what surgery you've endured gents!!!
snow report
Quote:

see another thread re French extra bits

We don't want any French (or any other nationality) bits at breakfast, either.
snow report
skribble wrote:
Why is it that some people think the skins they run in are suitable breakfast wear without some sort of
Modesty cover? I do not need to know what surgery you've endured gents!!!
Quite!
snow report
@pam w, @Hurtle, exactly! Just get up 5 minutes earlier so you don't have to have breakfast in your thermals.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy