Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saas Fee or Obergurgl for first ever ski holiday end of March?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, looking at booking first ski hol for end of March (23rd). Husband & son (12) have done a few dry ski slope snowboarding lessons here in the UK but none of us have tried skiing. We’re planning to have a few lessons before we go away at Easter but haven’t done any yet!

I’m looking for a resort with the following -

Snow in resort not just on the slopes
Great for beginners
Non-skiing snow activities as know we won’t spend the whole week skiing as beginners
Other activities (ice skating/bowling etc)
Ideally a pretty resort

I’ve been researching for days and still can’t make a decision Eh oh!Eh oh! ️ I think Saas Fee & Obergurgl fit my requirements but don’t know which to go for. I’m worried about making an expensive mistake.

Which one would be better suited for total beginners? We will want a good ski school and accommodation close to this. Looking at hotels as want the pool/spa for the afternoons when I think we’ll be tired and sore from ski lessons.

Also open to any other suggestions that fit my criteria!

Thanks so much for any advice / suggestions.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@SunnyLiving, Only been to Saas Fee in summer so cant really comment on winter holidays, perfectly nice place though not sure it is ideal for skiing. Obergurgl would tick a number of your boxes but there is not much else to do there but ski. A couple of other places that come to mind Serfaus /Fiss, not well known in UK but a large resort with excellent facilities for kids, not great for apres (but assume with a 12 year old availability of Jägermeister & beer not an issue!), Zauchensee, not far from Salzburg situated in a small bowl but fairly high for eastern Austria so should still be snow at the bottom in late March. Late March is definitely spring so resort level snow is not going to be common. Presume you have ruled out the large French resorts popular with Brits? They are often good late season.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Either would be good.

Saas Fee is definitely the prettier of thew two with spectacular views and a lovely (and quite sizeable) car-free village. It has some of the best nursery slopes in the alps, separated from all the other runs. My kids all learnt to ski there. But the progression to the main mountain is not ideal for beginners, with limited easy slopes at altitude.

Obergurgl has great slopes and is high and snow-sure. Good slopes to progress to if you make it out of the nursery slopes. Really nice hotels. But it is a small place and very quiet. Most people don't really do much outside of the hotel they are staying in. I have quite a few friends whose kids learnt to ski there. And I have dropped in for a few days at a time, and enjoyed it.

Hope that helps! It really depends what is more important to you.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome to Snowheads, @SunnyLiving, snowHead . You are going to have to make some compromises. I'd suggest that you compromise on the idea of a pretty, chocolate box Alpine village and prioritise ease of access to really good beginner slopes with the right kind of progression.

You might very well be wrong about not wanting to ski all week. Presumably you will all take lessons and I believe that in Austria they are often all-day, which will be terrific for learning progression but might leave you with little energy for anything else. Many of us, when we learnt to ski, just want to do it every minute - it's quite addictive and in a good ski school group your progress each day will be encouraging. The 12 year old will probably outpace you quite fast!

I don't know Saas Fee or Obergurgl. In terms of French resorts the places still snow-sure at Easter are not notably pretty! But they DO generally have lots going on. And ski school will generally be half a day (neither half of the day is ideal at Easter as the mornings can be a bit hard and icy and the afternoons a bit slushy). One option would be private lessons for the three of you. French private lessons are often over lunch time during holiday periods and in some ways that's ideal. The snow is at its best then, and because lots of people will be lunching, the slopes are often a bit quieter. You know your family - if the 12 year old will not be too embarrassed to be seen with his parents, that could work well.

If you have a few dry slope lessons you will either be able to be very fast learners in the beginner group or moved up a group - depends how the ski school organises things. But don't worry if that doesn't happen - learning in a group of beginners all at the same level is a lot of fun.

Wherever you decide to go you must book up ski school right away - because that will make or break your holiday.

You haven't said what other sports you do. Skiing uses muscles you might not know you had. If time is limited, I would prioritise some ski-specific exercises and a bit of cardio-vascular work (just walking briskly uphill would be fine). If you are already fit and sporty, sorry I mentioned it...... wink

Austria has a lot more hotels than France, generally speaking. You could look at the Club Med places in France - though I believe they are pretty expensive!

Finally, I think that (at the other end of the budget range) the UCPA centre in Serre Chevalier has a family week at Easter. If there are still any spaces left, that would be good.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for replies! Very good info in regards to Saas Fee as everything I’ve read says it’s perfect place for beginners - which I guess it is with the nursery slopes but not great after that. Husband and son both sporty - husband enjoys mountain biking and the gym. I on the other hand will definitely need to be doing some ski-specific exercises to get ready for the trip Embarassed I’m also a HUGE wimp. Husband and son both very adventurous and brave and will happily throw themselves down mountain on bikes - not for me!

Yes the plan is for all of us to have lessons, I’ve looked at family lessons as son will happily join in with that. My only worry is that he & my husband will be miles ahead of me within one day and I’ll be holding them back.

I did look at club med but I’m not really a fan of big hotel all inclusive holidays, though we’ve only done them in the sun before so maybe I’m wrong? We like to try different restaurants and get out of the hotel a little.

Yes I did rule out France as have been told by friends and read online that the French ski schools can be brutal and the French are not the most welcoming. If I’m wrong though and there as some resorts perfect for beginners I would love to hear suggestions.

I do think we’ll be skiing everyday but I’m looking for things to do later in the afternoon, I can’t imagine us being out skiing 9-5 since I assume being beginners we will be tired and sore and looking for a rest - but again I could well be wrong. Simple things like ice skating or sledging/tubing that we can do as a family really. I have read that there is a lot to do in Saas Fee in that regard and that’s why it’s really appealed to me.

Definitely agree that most important thing is ease of learning/access to easy slopes so everything else comes after that.

Thanks again for all replies, really appreciated.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@SunnyLiving, welcome to sH snowHead

Obertauern might be worth a look. It’s reasonably high 1700m+ with a good beginner area. There are c100km of pistes, 60% or so classified blue.

A reasonable Apres ski vibe. Plenty of accessible mountain Hutte for refreshment and lunch stops.

I’d probably suggest looking at wellness/spa hotels. Some may have pools but a nice sauna post skiing and a bit Apres is hard to beat, in my book.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Yes I did rule out France as have been told by friends and read online that the French ski schools can be brutal and the French are not the most welcoming

Not really true - and French resorts welcome people who come to spend money, just like Austrian ones do! The big French resorts have excellent ski schools - some of them British-run with native speaking instructors. I don't think the Austrians allow that. wink

I mentioned Club Med as you asked about hotels. Personally I'd not enjoy it - the whole idea of all-inclusive puts me off - and I dislike hotels generally. I would much prefer to rent a nice apartment and sample local restaurants and cook simply things at home sometimes. Most resorts have pools you can visit, if that appeals. But self-catering is more to think about on your first ski holiday unless you are used to camping/boats etc.

Your concern about son and hubby leaving you behind is understandable. You wouldn't be left behind, but they might get frustrated! But do those exercises - lots of good advice on the internet.

You might be better off in group lessons - boy with other teenagers. If you and OH start together, he can get moved up a group if necessary. One possible French destination is Courchevel 1650. We had great ski lessons there many years ago - people here could give you good advice on current offerings. Val Thorens is a popular high-altitude destination. Plenty going on in both. Tignes and Val d'Isere also- and again, with good ski schools available. Really the quality of your instruction is going to be one of the most important things about the holiday.

If you fancy Austria, the all-day ski school might be a positive. Obertauern is purpose built, more like the French resorts, but seems to have a lot of what you need. Are you planning a package holiday or DIY?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can't comment on Saas Fe but have been to Obergurgl quite a few times, and like it.

The hotels I've stayed in are ski in & out with a very small bit of pushing. Maybe a bit more pushing for beginners if you don't want to speed up on the way home, but not a problem. This is only the hotels I've stayed in which are in the higher end of village. The others you would ski to the bottom and walk.
The village is small so almost anywhere else would be a very short walk to slopes.

Enough but not a lot of cafes / restaurants in the village.
It's high so should be good late season.
The hotels are generally all of a good standard, as are mountain restaurants.
Not much else to do except swim in hotel, shop or apres ski in the Nedderhut which is awesome (if you like a bit of music) Fine for food & kids too.
Quite pretty, not amazing but much better than lots of resorts.
Austrians are pretty good.

I don't think it would be a bad choice.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
An alternative to to the Alps if looking for a snowy resort is to consider Norway. Vestlia Resort in Geilo is fantastic for beginners and early intermediates and is very convenient for slopes, ski school, hire, etc. Ski school is 2 hours so leaves plenty of time for other winter activities such as dog sledding. Beautiful train journey to get there as well. Geilo is nice little town but is 5 mins bus journey away from the resort, buses run frequently though. Radisson Blu resort in Trysil would offer something similar. The Ski Safari website is great for info and while they are excellent overall it's easy to book it all independently. Skistar good site for Trysil and other resorts in Norway and Sweden.

Geilo was our sons first ski holiday (he was just turning 10 at the time) and he absolutely loved it. Progression from magic carpet, to poma lift, to chairlift and then speed and slalom courses all done in the first few days, skiing all over the mountain by the end of the week.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Origen wrote:
Quote:

Yes I did rule out France as have been told by friends and read online that the French ski schools can be brutal and the French are not the most welcoming

Not really true - and French resorts welcome people who come to spend money, just like Austrian ones do! The big French resorts have excellent ski schools - some of them British-run with native speaking instructors. I don't think the Austrians allow that. wink

Incorrect. In fact, I would go as far to say that there a probably better options for native or, as near as dammit, perfect English speakers instructing in Austria. In my experience, there are often huge numbers of non-German speaking skiers holidaying in Austria who have English as their second language.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Been to both with near beginners in tow - I would choose Obergurgl especially if u commit to some pre-learning in Uk.
Both are really good, Saas Fee has better views and a lovely village to explore and great toboganning, but once off the (excellent) nursery drags you are a bit stock… less so in Obergurgl. Have a good look at the piste maps and see where you can go only skiing blues
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Cacciatore, sorry, I didn't mean there weren't great Austrian instructors who speak English - the last week I spent in Austrian ski school the instructor had worked for 5 years in Loughborough! But that there weren't any British-owned schools. But maybe that's wrong.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was responding to the suggestion that French ski schools are brutal. wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You might also want to look at Lech.
Lech has much more charm than Obergurgl, and a wider range of accommodations. And will definitely have snow in the village.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@SunnyLiving, Obergurgl has everything you want - apart from much to do like bowling etc. Many hotels have pools, but hotels are expensive (though I see Lech mentioned in this thread which will be just as expensive)

Can't see why you won't spend most of your time skiing though - especially if the weather is good and if you get the bug - as beginners you may be too exhausted to do too much other than have a relaxing swim

Skiing in Obergurgl is generally easy and snow conditions generally good even at Easter. You may want to bus to Hochgurgl where there's a bit more skiing, almost all blue. The run down to the TopExpress is in Obergurgl is a steepish red. There are also quick buses to Solden with more skiing, much of that reasonably easy. Solden village has zero charm, so not a place that would fit your bill

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 1-02-24 14:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Cacciatore, Agree. Just about everyone in service industry in Austria speaks good English
latest report
@Origen, running your own ski school in Austria requires more qualifications than in France, so although possible to have a British ski school, it doesn't seem to be the case so much due to the additional requirements. (also, just worked out the username change!)

Anyway, back to the question in hand, I wouldn't rule out France, and would add places such as Avoriaz, Tignes and Val Thorens to the list of potential places, albeit they'll fail on the chocolate box pretty aspect.

Worth the OP considering that Saas Fee will cost substantially more when in resort than Austria or France, unless you're planning to self cater all meals as I found supermarkets in Switzerland not too much more than France/Austria. Eating out though was pricey.

Also, if you do pick Saas Fee as a resort, I have the number of a very good instructor that's native English speaking (if you can count Scottish) that would potentially be available for lessons.
snow conditions
@swskier, I don't at all feel Switzerland is more expensive for eating out that French ski areas, indeed it is often better value. Comparing prices in major ski resorts, France is often the most expensive. It is possible to find cheaper areas in France though, whereas in Switzerland the prices and quality are more uniform. But it is a misconception that a ski holiday is always more expensive in Switzerland. Parts of Austria can also very expensive.
latest report
zikomo wrote:
@swskier, I don't at all feel Switzerland is more expensive for eating out that French ski areas, indeed it is often better value. Comparing prices in major ski resorts, France is often the most expensive. It is possible to find cheaper areas in France though, whereas in Switzerland the prices and quality are more uniform. But it is a misconception that a ski holiday is always more expensive in Switzerland. Parts of Austria can also very expensive.

Prices in Austria even up the mountain are no more than I'd expect to pay in the UK, and probably cheaper than London. (London is London though - we even found Oslo better value last June)

Just been to Ellmau, and my Amex Platinum card comes with £150 overseas dining credit though only at select restaurants. One is just outside Kitz - Pipinos. Had a very nice 3 course meal for 2 there just about on that budget; I'd be paying the same or more at the fairly ordinary Ivy chain restaurant in the UK.

I guess the "parts of Austria that can be very expensive" are towards the Arlberg end; St Anton, Lech etc.
snow report
zikomo wrote:

That wasn't my experience at all after spending 5 weeks in Switzerland (including Saas Fee) , 1 week in France and 2 weeks in Austria last season.

A pizza at Brasero in Tignes at Christmas was anywhere between €14-18 euros, whereas pizzas in La Trattoria in Nendaz were more in the 22-25 CHF range which is €23-27, so noticeably more, which soon adds up. Especially when there's a whole family to pay for.
snow report
@swskier, 5 years ago - a burger up the mountain in Wengen £25, fries extra

Mountain spring water free… with a 5 SF service charge (coke was cheaper…)
ski holidays
@buchanan101, we ate dinner here one night in Saas Fee:

https://www.pizzeria-boccalino.ch/?action=get_file&id=1&resource_link_id=c

Nothing fancy at all, just a standard Italian restaurant. Noticeably more than what you'd be paying outside of Switzerland though.

My experience of Switzerland was, if you were paying for a service, ie a restaurant or bar, it wasn't cheap, but supermarkets weren't hugely more than the UK, more like Waitrose prices.
snow conditions
Thanks so much to everyone for your replies!

We've decided to go with Obergurgl, seems to tick almost all the boxes and also short transer from Innsbruck so decided to go with that. We're going to stay in a hotel - I think the Edelweiss & Gurgl as literally 2 mins (if that) from ski school/nursery slopes and right by lift. Another lovely hotel there is working out quite a bit cheaper (over £1000 so a decent chunk of money!) but it's a 10 minute walk from the ski school/nursery slopes. Is it going to make that much of a difference for us if we're further away? I'm worrying about walking in ski boots as beginners and carrying skis, both hotels are ski in/ski out but obviously as we've never done it before that's not much use to us really Laughing My husband suggested wearing different shoes for the walk then changing into ski boots but then we're going to have to take a backpack to store shoes in while we're skiing, which seems a bit of a faff really. Any thoughts? Thanks again
snow report
The Edelweiss and Gurgl is effectively the centre of the village. It has two Gondola lifts right at its back door. One takes you directly to the main nursery area. One of the ski schools meets there I think

I’ve done the shoes/boots/change on gondola/backpack when needing to walk. You can’t get closer to lifts than the E&G anywhere. Lifts with zero queues as well (as all over Obergurgl). Good choice.
ski holidays
@SunnyLiving, what’s the other hotel called?
ski holidays
Don’t even consider it. E&G is the only way to go. Trust me the money is worth the lack of hassle and convenience with kids.
snow conditions
Other one is Hotel Alpina Deluxe. Can also stay at the Hochfirst for similar price to the E&G. Husband prefers look of Alpina & Hochfirst, I prefer convenience of E&G!
latest report
Alpina is a very nice hotel but to the top side of the resort so on the way home you need to gather a bit of speed to ski in.

Even if you failed it would probably be a 50 yard push at worst along the flat, or walk.

No qualms recommending the Alpina, it would rate slightly ahead of Alpenland and Austria for me, with the caveat that a fair bit would depend on what room exactly you end up in, not all are equal. This applies to any hotel.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hochfirst IS the only 5 star hotel in Obergurgl. I’ve stayed there (but got a good deal). There is a ski school right out at the back of it. But it’s not easy to ski back to after you start going up the mountain (you have to be going really fast across the back of the hotels - a speed you won’t be doing in your first week!) or it’s a bit of a trudge.

E&G is very convenient. Haven’t stayed there but have been inside. Looks good. Have stayed in Gurglhof which is smart and very near (50m walk). It has pool and sauna. Have stayed In Alpenaussicht which is probably cheaper and just across from Hochfirst with reasonable access but again not as good as E&G.
snow report
zikomo wrote:
Don’t even consider it. E&G is the only way to go. Trust me the money is worth the lack of hassle and convenience with kids.

The only problem choosing E&G is that hardly anything will ever be as well located in future. Where else has two gondolas 20m from the back of the hotel?

(Though quite why the replaced the 4man chair with a gondola - that’s a real pain having to take skis off if joining at the mid station - I liked the loops at the top picking up the chair half way up)
snow conditions
Have a great holiday @SunnyLiving. Write a report about how it all goes.
snow report
buchanan101 wrote:

(Though quite why the replaced the 4man chair with a gondola - that’s a real pain having to take skis off if joining at the mid station - I liked the loops at the top picking up the chair half way up)

Totally agree. Bizarre decision.
latest report
buchanan101 wrote:

@buchanan101, @Onmebum,
1.Wind (bubbles are more prone to closures than gondola's; and Obergurgl, being at the Alpine divide, is often stormy.)
2.Safety for kids
ski holidays
SunnyLiving wrote:
Other one is Hotel Alpina Deluxe. Can also stay at the Hochfirst for similar price to the E&G. Husband prefers look of Alpina & Hochfirst, I prefer convenience of E&G!

I've stayed at the Alpina and the E&G quite a few times, never the Hochfirst though. Both the Alpina and E&G are great hotels you won't be disappointed in either. I would say the Alpina is a nicer hotel, has much more parking (in it's underground car park), and slightly better food. The E&G has the best location though, you really can't beat it for that. It also has a heated indoor/outdoor pool, you start off indoors and go though a small cover to get outside which is fun because it's really warm in there even though you are out in the snow.

The Alpina and E&G are better located for skiing back from the Nederhutte if you like a bit of apres-ski. The Alpina has an uphill section so you need some speed to reach it without pole pushing on the homeward direction, but when you leave the hotel you can go out of the side entrance straight on to the slope and ski down to the lift so it's almost ski-in/ski-out except for beginners.

Given the choice I would go for the E&G if the price is the same (which it often is at School holidays) but the Alpina if it's a fair bit cheaper (the prices at the Alpina were more variable depending on dates than the E&G).

Either way you will have a great time, the hotels are not cheap but they are cheaper than if they were located in the Arlberg ! The prices are not bad considering the quality of the hotels.
ski holidays
Langerzug wrote:
buchanan101 wrote:

@buchanan101, @Onmebum,
1.Wind (bubbles are more prone to closures than gondola's; and Obergurgl, being at the Alpine divide, is often stormy.)
2.Safety for kids

Also better in summer...

Noticed gondolas being used where kids are likely to be taught - there's a really short one in Soll that I can only think is because of ski schools

And also gondolas are probably cheaper than high capacity chairs
ski holidays
Another question since a few of you know E&G/Obergurgl. What do people typically wear for breakfast/dinner in the hotel? It says "smart/casual" which I always find annoyingly vague as depends on so many factors. Will we be ok in jogging bottoms/leggings for breakfast? We wont go down in our ski gear as I'm assuming the hotel will be really warm (I've read that most of them are) so will do a quick post breakfast change. For the evenings are jeans & t-shirt too casual or will we be ok ? Or will we need to go extra-posh and push husband to wear a polo shirt Laughing
snow conditions
@SunnyLiving, you need to dress a bit more up than that, for breakfast and definitely for dinner.
snow report
@Langerzug, thanks for your reply! How much more dressed up are we talking? What would you suggest? Thanks again
latest report
@SunnyLiving, My wife and kids always wear base layers and me joggers for breakfast at every ski hotel I've stayed in. For evening meal I've never got dressed up more than jeans and a sweater.
latest report
Origen wrote:
Quote:

If you fancy Austria, the all-day ski school might be a positive.

One thing to bear in mind (and double check) is that usually , French ski schools start at 09:00 , Austrian and Italians more like 10:00.

Unless you are early to bed and early to rise , that 9 am deadline will weigh you down during the week especially for beginner skiers.

10 am is a much more civilised start . Allows time to get up and have a decent breakfast plus a few laps of an easy run to warm up without feeling under pressure.

We are also considering obergurgl (and the E&G) for our Easter trip 2025 . I am on a mission to get my wife’s ski mojo back (not the knee brace) so a selection of ski in ski out places with plenty of wide gentle blues and reds .
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy