Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ah, the luggage thing is fun, isn't it. (Not fun.)

Poster: A snowHead
adamantis wrote:
I've managed a NF Base Camp roller (a coffin big enough for 2 to share!) on Swiss with nary a batted eyelid. Weighed in at around 28kg, and they just passed it on through Wink

More importantly, who are you actually flying with for your next trip?

Monarch Chartered by Ighams. Sad

The one after that is Swiss Air, though.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I swear rolling eyes she and jb1970, separated at birth . . .
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lizzard wrote:
I have one of these: http://eu.dakine.com/p/bags/snowboard-bags/mens/tour?clr=NWT

It takes everything I could possibly need for a week's holiday, with space to spare, comes in at about 20kg max, goes with BA as a normal bag, easyJet as sports equipment. WTF are you all taking with you, the cast of Ben Hur? Laughing

Ha. I think you've misunderstood. I can pack all my stuff in the coffin ski bag thing I have. The problem is, that's against the rules. All the above airlines say that in the ski bag you are ONLY allowed skis and poles. No clothes. So they are forcing (if they make people keep to the rules) you to have a suitcase AND a ski bag. When I just want a ski bag with everything in. Doesn't matter if I only have 3kg of other stuff - obeying the rules, you have to have two bags.

On weight - my suitcase (without skis, with boots) is normally around the 18kg mark. So I'm guessing I'll be around 23kg if I put it all in a ski bag. Could probably cut it down to around 20kg. But IF airlines make you keep skis separate from everything else - that's irrelevant. It's not the weight that's the issue.

So ... I don't like the stress of not knowing whether I'll be called up or not. It's not as if they're losing money - swiss air it's free, Monarch chartered I've paid £35 to take my skis, and luggage was included in the ticket. It's just whether they're ARSEY. And thus whether I should put stuff in two bags just to stick to the letter of the rule.

Not about how much I take. Though I'd quite like a pet cast of Ben Hur.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
it'll be fine (TM)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Masque wrote:
I swear rolling eyes she and jb1970, separated at birth . . .

I take it you don't like him? Sad

A quick search of his name tells me he used to post lots, and then disappeared for a while. He's prone to mentioning personal dramas here without specifying what they are, and he doesn't like his boss. But I didn't stalk very hard.

I like my boss, though I'm mostly freelance. I stole his gift at the Xmas party, and then there are photos of me spamming his forehead. My boss is cool. Um ... I don't have personal dramas. I stress too much about details to worry about the big things. Er ... I'll never disappear, because I wouldn't want to break your heart (that might be a lie).

So ... guess I've looked at the wrong posts. Sad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
andy wrote:
it'll be fine (TM)

I hope. Will have to become female at airport if not, and they wont like it when they make me do that.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OliviaDB, He's a lovely guy, just can occasionally be a bit 'indecisive' and liking a bit of peer support . . . recognise anyone perchance rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BA did weight my ski bag at Heathrow last week, but it was under the 23kg (or whatever their current limit is), so no worries. There were 4 of us travelling, so we had 3 hold bags and the ski roller bag/coffin between us. no extra allowance purchased.

The ski bag had 2 sets of skis, boots, poles, salopettes and jackets and was just about on the limit - 1 set of skis/boots were XC. The hold luggage combined with a decent cabin bag each was more than enough for the 4 of us including a few Christmas presents etc etc etc (even with all Mrs M's additional bits & pieces).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Masque wrote:
OliviaDB, He's a lovely guy, just can occasionally be a bit 'indecisive' and liking a bit of peer support . . . recognise anyone perchance rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes

Did you not read my links on why choice is horrible? It's the only sane reaction to choice - PANIC!

Razz

'Sides - I like to make men (and more wonderful women than I) feel useful. It's the only area of life where they have an advantage over me. Decisiveness.*

*sexist comment bla bla Razz

On a separate note: The lady on the phone from Monarch told me that the ski weight limit is 13kg. That's my skis and boots together. Surely some of you more manly men would easily go over that with the two?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
andy,
Quote:

From that SWISS thread, I wonder if the same person wrote the Swiss and Lufthansa rules. They seem remarkably identical, with the same level of confusion at the other end of the phone line.

I think that - since 2005 or so? - Swiss is a subsidiary of Lufthansa.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PS - BA didn't check the size/weight of the cabin baggage. The allowance there is I think another 23kg, so if you check one hold bag/coffin in for your skis and a bit of extra gear I can't see any problem taking everything you need if you can have another 23kg in the cabin baggage. I had originally bought an extra bag but I cancelled it and bought the roller coffin instead. This is what BA said when asked how I could pack the skis & boots:

Quote:
Skis must be packed in a recognised ski bag in one of the following ways:

- Pack your skis and ski boots separately.
- Pack your ski boots within your ski bag.
- Pack your ski boots within your checked baggage.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
OliviaDB, I have taken a ski bag that weighed 38Kg . . . Two pairs of skis, two boards, all bindings, two pairs of boots and sundry accessories like poles armour etc Embarassed

As far as I've heard, men have two uses for women . . . one is NSFW (and only if they're good at it), the other is supplied by them working.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Masque wrote:
OliviaDB, I have taken a ski bag that weighed 38Kg . . .

Was that when you had to pay shedloads of excess baggage money? Little Angel

(Can't remember where we were, but I was there. Wengen? Les Deux Alpes?)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque wrote:
OliviaDB, I have taken a ski bag that weighed 38Kg . . . Two pairs of skis, two boards, all bindings, two pairs of boots and sundry accessories like poles armour etc Embarassed

As far as I've heard, men have two uses for women . . . one is NSFW (and only if they're good at it), the other is supplied by them working.

*ponders* shagging/sexual favours (if that way inclined), cake and er ... to make feel manly when we pretend not to be able to open jars.

That's three?

http://youtube.com/v/4bEGLbCNRqw
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
OliviaDB, Tim Minchin = Elton John in drag.

If cake isn't part of shagging/sexual favours . . . it's obviously not being done right rolling eyes . . . that's still two.
ski holidays
Pedantica, i think you're right actually. I knew they were both Star Alliance members, but seems it is a full subsidiary now. Still some rather competitive fares though on LH/LX monopoly routes. Cheaper than me going to the "other" Frankfurt-am-Main and flying with that well known budget Irish airline Wink

Masque, OliviaDB, the reasoning for that "indecision and peer support" is a bit different though.Confused

Quote:

Decisiveness

well my decisiveness is usually - "oh sod it, it'll be alright".

and as I said, I'm sure "it'll be fine". probably find some others in your group have the same bag.

and yes my skis probably go way over such a weight limit (K2 and Volkl surely contain depleted Uranium cores), although Swiss/LH don't care.

If I understand it right, if you're flying charter, then it's probably Inghams who sell you ski carriage, and they buy in bulk from Monarch and elsewhere. So their T+C probably differ from what Monarch sell direct. If the group leader has the e-ticket thing showing all the extras, then you're sorted.

PS glad I'm going by car again on my next trip, though Wink

oh and grrr at mentioning cake. hungry now.
latest report
Masque wrote:
OliviaDB, Tim Minchin = Elton John in drag.

... prefer Minchin's music. And lyrics. Pah.
latest report
Tim Minchin is my hero. Multi-talented hero. Very Happy
snow report
maggi, That was a different time . . . I've done it more than once . . . and I was off for a month . . . I'm working on getting my kit down to less hernia inducing quantity.
snow report
andy wrote:
oh and grrr at mentioning cake. hungry now.

Carrot cake. Banana bread. Fruit cake.

There is always a healthy cake version. Dark chocolate is a source of iron.

GO FORTH AND CAKE, MY SON!
snow conditions
Not religious, but I did find (cake) heaven. Stayed in a cake and icecream hotel. On the terrace outside the kitchen when they bake chocolate cake makes you so hungry you won't waste any time over the cake menu. Conveniently, this is just along the street from a ski lift too.

Masque, fortunately every time I've flown for a month, the company shipped most as freight. The Air France 100% loss ratio I mentioned on the 1st page (or somewhere), has *always* been one of those trips. So half my stuff awaiting cargo shipment, and half that never made it beyond Paris. Every time we arrive in or return from Cayenne, it's a sweepstake as to who in the team will be getting the freebie t-shirt and 1 size fits all heel-less socks.
ski holidays
Thinking to m'sen . . . I've some unsalted butter, flour, eggs and sundries. Pumpkin, raw cane syrup, nutmeg and carrots . . . I feel a cake coming on . . . is there's an ingredient missing Confused

OliviaDB, there's a Belgian chocolatier with his workshop about 100 yards from where I live . . . you have NO idea of just how good that smell can be as it perfumes the night's stories for the people it meets . . .
latest report
Quote:

All the above airlines say that in the ski bag you are ONLY allowed skis and poles

Fly with someone else. Air Canada accepted it as an ordinary bag as well - excuse to go somewhere exciting. Blush
snow report
Pedantica wrote:
Tim Minchin is my hero. Multi-talented hero. Very Happy

You are clearly a wise, WISE human being. I approve of you.
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

All the above airlines say that in the ski bag you are ONLY allowed skis and poles

Fly with someone else. Air Canada accepted it as an ordinary bag as well - excuse to go somewhere exciting. Blush

Alas, I have a choice. Many budget trips, or one expensive trip. I prefer the former. Which means: no long haul (as going that far means you have to go for more than a week), and all adds up.
Seems all the European airlines are arsey.
snow report
OliviaDB, oh, thank you! Very Happy
ski holidays
Just been trawling the easyjet site and no mention of dimensions for your hold baggage, so my suitcase is just a long one that can fit skis?
I'm all packed up to fly with easyjet tomorrow, 2weeks in Les Coches, anyone else there?
Skis only, in bag = 7kg
suitcase with boots in = 18kg
small handbaggage = ~2kg (untill I pick up a bottle of Jaegermeister)
In another post I questioned the ability to fit size11 boots into the handbaggage specs but having dug them out of the loft, they would easily fit Pd style into the handbaggage and at just 5kg / pair weight would be ok.
So next time it is boots in handbaggage, and everything else in skibag

skis + bag + clothes = ~18kg (suitcase = ~2kg)
handbaggage < 10kg
snow report
OliviaDB, US airlines do arsey too. Tried to charge me $100 to take a poster tube* that was too large to safely fit in my checked baggage. Bit of persuasion with the duty check in manager, and stick it thru the TSA scanner and explain the contents, and both US Airways check-in and the TSA were happy for us to take it as extra handbaggage. No issues at the stop over either.

LH/LX are probably the least arsey of the lot. They just need a slap from the plain English campaign, and for someone to make their website crystal clear (preferably by a skier/boarder who knows about those big coffin bags).

(*) yes this was the famous rocket engine that we brought back as hand luggage.
PS - Don't ask Wink (well you can if you want)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andy, I want. Do tell!
ski holidays
Pedantica, OK then. It was one of these. The purple bit is about 1m long. And before anyone asks, yes, it's all legal Smile

http://youtube.com/v/umirKjoOO_w
The last one like that I fired went on a ballistic trajectory and buried itself in Scotland Evil or Very Mad
(Now you know why my sig is what it is. The Spaceship thing is work, except when we fly the big rockets Smile )
OliviaDB, apologies for inevitable thread drift
snow report
andy, looks dangerous, whether it's work or play! Shocked
latest report
tangowaggon wrote:
Just been trawling the easyjet site and no mention of dimensions for your hold baggage, so my suitcase is just a long one that can fit skis?

http://easyjet.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4050

3rd para - not specific dimensions but length + width + height can't be greater than 275cm.
snow report
Pedantica, not really. We have rules, and insurance too (which depends on those rules not being broken).
ski holidays
tangowaggon, oh - and EJ specifically say no boots in handbaggage:

If ski boots are being carried without skis they can be accepted either within your normal standard hold baggage allowance or as a sporting equipment item whichever is the more convenient option. Please note that ski boots cannot be carried as hand baggage.
ski holidays
The maximum volume for hold baggage is 275cm (length + width + height), except for sporting and medical equipment.

Clearly, no mathematicians work for easyjet as 275 cm is a linear measurement, but I guess that it simplifies the calculation for the Benidorm flights Toofy Grin Twisted Evil
Quote:

If ski boots are being carried without skis they can be accepted either within your normal standard hold baggage allowance or as a sporting equipment item whichever is the more convenient option. Please note that ski boots cannot be carried as hand baggage.

Couldn't find this in the conditions though, the only spec for handbaggage was 56x45x25cm with no specific weight restrictions, if the boots are in a generic non boot bag, and security don't work for easyjet?
latest report
What is a soft ski bag with a detachable base.
ski holidays
Sperks wrote:
What is a soft ski bag with a detachable base.

OliviaDB
latest report
tangowaggon wrote:
Clearly, no mathematicians work for easyjet as 275 cm is a linear measurement, but I guess that it simplifies the calculation for the Benidorm flights Toofy Grin Twisted Evil

To be fair, length + width + height is a linear measurement as well.

Quote:

Couldn't find this in the conditions though, the only spec for handbaggage was 56x45x25cm with no specific weight restrictions, if the boots are in a generic non boot bag, and security don't work for easyjet?[/quote]

It's in the sporting items conditions. It is, of course, entirely up to you, but as this is (I think) a new one from EJ then i suspect check-in staff will have been briefed - you're right about security staff of course - but as the luggage dimension rule means you have to take skis as a "sporting item" then you might as well take your boots as part of that (as they can be in a separate bag from your skis).
snow conditions
Booked with Monarch before 31st Dec on scheduled to MUC so got free ski carriage. Are boots included so long as total is under 13kg?
Also one of us has claimed free ski carriage but is only taking boots, anyone know if that's ok or is it skis only? TIA Puzzled
snow report
Pedantica wrote:
andy, looks dangerous, whether it's work or play! Shocked

Andy just showed you his rocket!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy