Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ah, the luggage thing is fun, isn't it. (Not fun.)

Poster: A snowHead
Given all the luggage posts here, kinda shows how (deliberately) obscure the various rules are.

On an unrelated note - if you tweet Monarch, they'll call you back which is a little nicer for those of us who don't own landlines. Ended up having a nice chat which discussed whether I should misdirect people visiting me to the local brothel two doors down.

ANYway.

From all the confusion - the general approach seems to be - stick everything in one ski bag and chance it? (Monarch did not advise this. I'm meaning from what others appear to do from looking around at airports.)

Monarch (non-charter): Skis and boots must be less than 13kg, and not contain other stuff because they treat skis as 'fragile items' and so put them in a different section of the plane. (I giggled at that. Treat them as fragile, my back bottom.) So - skis, luggage, hand luggage. Going to be fun to get on the tube. (Not fun.)

Inghams (Monarch charter): Didn't understand my question about weight limit, just repeated several times that I'd paid the required £35, they'd forwarded the eticket with my proof I'd paid for skis to the party leader (who I've asked so many questions of she probably isn't talking to me any more, and I need that to prove that I've paid for the skis.). No, they can't forward it to me. Even though I paid. Oh, and only skis in bag.

Swiss: Free skis, but only skis in that bag, separate luggage for everything else. Says you need to call and tell them you're bringing skis. I called and was on hold for 8 minutes to be told 'I've spoken to my manager and you don't need to tell us you're bringing skis'.

I'm guessing the rest is similar fun? My current plan is to put everything in a roller ski bag, take a shite fold-upable one, and if they're arsey, repack at 4am and use luggage straps to fold ski bag in two to 'normal' luggage size.

Is this a STUPID plan? Should I never use the roller ski bag and just use a tiny single ski bag thing and take a suitcase too? (In which case, should I return the roller ski bag?) Or use the train from now on?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
OliviaDB, just take the train, so much more enjoyable. Jaunty stroll to St pan, or a quick hop in a cab (the double roller bags do fit in black cab) vs Piccadily line from your ends ? 'sa no brainer for me
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lufthansa: luggage included up to 23kg which can be more than one bag, i.e. boot bag and suitcase (although it makes far more sense to me to put ski boots inside the suitcase so there's one less bag to carry), ski carriage is free but has to be pre-booked. Hand luggage up to 8kg and boots are not permitted.

Personally I find it much easier to have a roller suitcase/holdall and skis in a ski bag, with a small hand luggage backpack. I wear the backpack, sling the ski bag over my shoulder and roll the case along behind me. If I had everything in one bag I'd struggle to get it in and out of the car/house/hotel, up any steps, etc.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 4-01-13 15:10; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is it me or has jb1970 had the snip and moved to London Confused
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Zombie Si wrote:
OliviaDB, just take the train, so much more enjoyable. Jaunty stroll to St pan, or a quick hop in a cab (the double roller bags do fit in black cab) vs Piccadily line from your ends ? 'sa no brainer for me

That's the plan for future trips. Problem is most of the groups I go with do the Inghams/Mark Warner type trips, and it's hard to separate my transport from the rest.

*sigh*
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque wrote:
Is it me or has jb1970 had the snip and moved to London Confused

I like the sound of this person. Razz
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Masque, haha. Always wanted to meet jb1970 (but not like that). Pretty sure OliviaDB isn't (wasn't) jb1970.

OliviaDB, lol @ the side effects of living in that vicinity Wink (PS forgot my mother used to work there too - and now I'm actually slightly concerned)

From that SWISS thread, I wonder if the same person wrote the Swiss and Lufthansa rules. They seem remarkably identical, with the same level of confusion at the other end of the phone line.

Roller coffin bags are the ones that will get lost. Sod's Law. I don't like everything in 1 bag, and even if they do say skis/boots only in their respective bags, I'm putting at least 1 base layer/gloves and socks etc. in each, and 1 almost full set of such garments in hand baggage too.
Oh and Flybe only take a few skis/boards, so I wouldn't want a roller-coffin bag on there at all.

That rucksack boot+helmet bag of mine is very handy. Makes tube/tram/bus/train travel with skis much easier.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Train +1 = zero such hassles./

You dont say if you are taking boots. If so, that makes a big diff. in anumber of ways
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andy wrote:
Masque, haha. Always wanted to meet jb1970 (but not like that). Pretty sure OliviaDB isn't (wasn't) jb1970.

OliviaDB, lol @ the side effects of living in that vicinity Wink (PS forgot my mother used to work there too - and now I'm actually slightly concerned)

From that SWISS thread, I wonder if the same person wrote the Swiss and Lufthansa rules. They seem remarkably identical, with the same level of confusion at the other end of the phone line.

Roller coffin bags are the ones that will get lost. Sod's Law. I don't like everything in 1 bag, and even if they do say skis/boots only in their respective bags, I'm putting at least 1 base layer/gloves and socks etc. in each, and 1 almost full set of such garments in hand baggage too.
Oh and Flybe only take a few skis/boards, so I wouldn't want a roller-coffin bag on there at all.

That rucksack boot+helmet bag of mine is very handy. Makes tube/tram/bus/train travel with skis much easier.

It's not a coffin - it's just a ski bag with wheels. :-S Like this one: http://www.snowandrock.com/burton-wheelie-gig-bag-166cm/board-bags/ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/31887 Or is that what you mean by a coffin bag? ... *googles* Oh. Yes it is.

But am thinking only way to be certain not to be screwed is just take it back and get a smaller one which ONLY fits skis?

*sigh*

RattytheSnowRat - yes, I take boots.

I am starting to see why my sibling said the faff made having your own skis not worth it. Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
OliviaDB, yep that's what I meant by coffin bag. Swiss and Lufthansa prolly wouldn't even care at check-in (but their website needs a proofreader imho Wink ). Flybe run tiny planes, so might keep it and forward it mid week, and you'll have to scrounge pink pants from friends like one PSBer had to do. Monarch? No idea.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
andy wrote:
OliviaDB, yep that's what I meant by coffin bag. Swiss and Lufthansa prolly wouldn't even care at check-in (but their website needs a proofreader imho Wink ). Flybe run tiny planes, so might keep it and forward it mid week, and you'll have to scrounge pink pants from friends like one PSBer had to do. Monarch? No idea.

Sigh.

Returning the bag it is then. *cry*
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
KLM anyone wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Monarch run mainly Airbus I think so should be ok.

This has reminded me that I need to buy lighter bags, so I can deal with my paranoid obsession of worrying about being over our luggage allowance.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
British Airways:

Don't seem to weigh ski bag or bother with the weight in your other bag. Upgrade to Club one way and you get extra luggage allowance both ways, and it's sometimes cheaper than paying for a ski bag.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

KLM anyone

Air France now aren't they? 100% loss of my bags on 1 leg of a return journey. And the free t-shirt they give you that advertises "AIR FRANCE didn't deliver my bags" will shred in the washing machine and clog it up.

Probably similar rules to Swiss/LH though. Or BA maybe.
snow conditions
Alans deep bath wrote:
British Airways:

Don't seem to weigh ski bag or bother with the weight in your other bag. Upgrade to Club one way and you get extra luggage allowance both ways, and it's sometimes cheaper than paying for a ski bag.

Thinking about this whilst our bags were weighed no notice was taken (flew with Monarch, no idea who ground handling were). We were 5kg over on the way out at 7 on the way back (not sure how!). My own luggage came to 18kg which included ski boots, when I unpacked Jnr's bag (clothes packed by the OH) I counted 9 t-shirts and 3 shirts for evening wear, he seemed to get 3 t-shirts as Xmas presents too. Not sure why the OH thought he needed so many.
latest report
Flying BA, they didn't care what the bags were, nor what was in them, as long as they conformed to the weight and size allowances. Indeed, I ended up putting a washbag and some clothes into the ski bag at checkin as my main bag was a little heavy. Ski bag still went to the oversize/sports drop off, but apart from that it seems a bag is a bag as far as they are concerned.
ski holidays
Well I was 4.5kg over my weight limit with Neilson/Thomas Cook recently. No sweat, either way....though it might have helped that both clerks were new and experiencing some technical difficulties, so may have just waived it all through Laughing
ski holidays
This may not provide the basis for all future packing, of course...
latest report
So you'll be taking a boot bag? The reason I asked is that you seem to now be juggling four bags.

The way I pack is to put everything into two bags, a soft ski bag with a detachable roller base and a boot bag that doubles up as a travel bag. Clothes pack the skis to stop them crashing about and the boot bag comes on as hand luggage with gloves/goggles/MP3/etc. stuffed into the boots. All you have to do is minimise the amount of clothes that you put in the ski bag and no one seems to mind too much (weight limits apart) - it's the twits who stuff the ski bag with in an inch of it's zip's life who seem to attract the attention. For what it's worth, Swiss have never rasied an issue with me on this set up but I am a 'MilesAnd More' memeber, If you fly with them join up first and be able to quote your membership number whilst booking - I think it helps.

Quote:

the free t-shirt they give you that advertises "AIR FRANCE didn't deliver my bags" will shred in the washing machine and clog it up.
ROTFLMAO - that is SOOOOO French!
snow conditions
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
So you'll be taking a boot bag? The reason I asked is that you seem to now be juggling four bags.

The way I pack is to put everything into two bags, a soft ski bag with a detachable roller base and a boot bag that doubles up as a travel bag. Clothes pack the skis to stop them crashing about and the boot bag comes on as hand luggage with gloves/goggles/MP3/etc. stuffed into the boots. All you have to do is minimise the amount of clothes that you put in the ski bag and no one seems to mind too much (weight limits apart) - it's the twits who stuff the ski bag with in an inch of it's zip's life who seem to attract the attention. For what it's worth, Swiss have never rasied an issue with me on this set up but I am a 'MilesAnd More' memeber, If you fly with them join up first and be able to quote your membership number whilst booking - I think it helps.

Quote:

the free t-shirt they give you that advertises "AIR FRANCE didn't deliver my bags" will shred in the washing machine and clog it up.
ROTFLMAO - that is SOOOOO French!

No boot bag. I always stuck them in suitcase before. They fit in the new ski bag. I reckon size and weight wise I could get away with ski bag and hand luggage and nothing else - but that's the route that goes against the airline rules.

Might do it anyway, and see how long the check in person can handle me sitting in their lap crying. (Which will happen if they make me sad at 4am.)
latest report
Hi All, the other half and I will both be taking our skis with easy jet next month and have only booked one sports luggage. I planned to put both sets into one bag (yet to be purchased) I was thinking a big roller type as mentioned above. Should I reconsider? Has anyone else done this?
We did however book 3 hold bags so that boots could be put together in another holdall/case.
Thanks
latest report
sparkyxsparks, Ski carriage usually covers boots too even if in their own bag, don't think you're gaining much with that scenario?
ski holidays
is this right about monarch ? and do i need to have ski equipment twice if my ski boots and skis are not in one bag ?
ski holidays
This thread is making my small brain hurt.
latest report
Thanks Masque, I thought that because we have only paid for one "sports equipment" that if we kept our skis in their separate bags they would count as 2 and leave us liable for extra charge. But if put in the same bag then we would be OK. The EasyJet website is a little unclear.
ski holidays
sparkyxsparks, sorry, my head's hurting too. It's been too long since I flew sleazyair.
latest report
When we flew with Monarch (charter); I took boots separately and did not pay, there is a weight limit which can be split among multiple bags.
The OH took skis and boots in separate bags but only paid for one Ski carriage. Hope that helps
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OliviaDB wrote:

Swiss: Free skis, but only skis in that bag, separate luggage for everything else. Says you need to call and tell them you're bringing skis. I called and was on hold for 8 minutes to be told 'I've spoken to my manager and you don't need to tell us you're bringing skis'.

The manager is right, you don't need to call them. Doesn't say that anywhere, either.
http://www.swiss.com/web/EN/services/baggage/Pages/sporting_equipment.aspx#ski

andy wrote:

Entirely possible it was the same person. The only difference is that on Lufthansa you have to pay €100 per leg (so €200 return) for transatlantic flights.

RattytheSnowRat wrote:

For what it's worth, Swiss have never rasied an issue with me on this set up but I am a 'MilesAnd More' memeber, If you fly with them join up first and be able to quote your membership number whilst booking - I think it helps.

Makes no difference. The person checking you in/accepting your luggage has no idea how you booked your flight.
snow report
I've managed a NF Base Camp roller (a coffin big enough for 2 to share!) on Swiss with nary a batted eyelid. Weighed in at around 28kg, and they just passed it on through Wink

More importantly, who are you actually flying with for your next trip?
ski holidays
I have one of these: http://eu.dakine.com/p/bags/snowboard-bags/mens/tour?clr=NWT

It takes everything I could possibly need for a week's holiday, with space to spare, comes in at about 20kg max, goes with BA as a normal bag, easyJet as sports equipment. WTF are you all taking with you, the cast of Ben Hur? Laughing
snow report
ami in berlin wrote:

RattytheSnowRat wrote:

For what it's worth, Swiss have never rasied an issue with me on this set up but I am a 'MilesAnd More' memeber, If you fly with them join up first and be able to quote your membership number whilst booking - I think it helps.

Makes no difference. The person checking you in/accepting your luggage has no idea how you booked your flight.

You're missing the point. The check-in person might not know HOW you booked your flight but they DO KNOW if you're a frequent flyer because your membership number comes up on their screen. I believe it also tells them what level of member you are. Therefore there is at least a possibility of getting a degree of latitude for being a regular customer.
snow conditions
We flew from Aberdeen to Ostersund (via Frankfurt and Stockholm) last year to ski in Are, flights were booked via Lufthansa on expedia. The flights Frankfurt - Stockholm - Ostersund were operated by SAS. I phoned Lufthansa and they advised ski carriage and boot carriage was free (on top of normal baggage allowance) provided we booked in advance. I did this and got email confirmation within 10 mins - superb service. End result was we each checked in a large bag (up to 23KG), a ski bag each (each with 2 sets of ski's as we took our XC ski's as well), boots in a separate bag each and a normal size carry on bag. No-one batted an eyelid. In Ostersund you print your own baggage tags and put your bags on the belt , no-one wighed them. I seem to recall it confirmed ski's and boots go free on their website but it wasn't particularly clear hence me phoning and I wasn't sure if it would be the same on the SAS flights. It was a bit of a risk taking the extra ski's but departing from Aberdeen I was pretty sure they wouldn't weigh the ski bags (they didn't). We are off to Breckenridge in a couple of weeks (can't wait!) flying with BA and I've just paid for an extra bag between us. We have a double ski bag and it's under 23kg so that'll be fine. Will pack boots in hold baggage and helmets in carry on I think. Not lugging boots round LHR.
snow conditions
Just realised that's the first time I've ever posted on here. I am such a lurker! Hello everyone!
ski holidays
suzysparkle, welcome! snowHead
latest report
How nice - thanks!!
latest report
suzysparkle, welcome to sH snowHead that's quite a round trip. Handy to know how other Star Alliance partners handle skis etc. on LH code share connecting flights.

adamantis, I assumed the Monarch charter, if check-in is 4am (I could never do that early!)

Raceplate, maybe for gold/platinum members. doubt I'd get anything preferential with my blue card.
ski holidays
Lizzard, Even the cast of Ben Hur wouldn't cover my industrial strength beautification needs.. wink I've got one too.... skis, boots, poles, mojo and I'm over 15kg before I even start on any clothes.

suzysparkle, Welcome to snowHeads Beware... this posting lark is addictive stuff... wink Laughing
snow conditions
Raceplate wrote:
ami in berlin wrote:

RattytheSnowRat wrote:

You're missing the point. The check-in person might not know HOW you booked your flight but they DO KNOW if you're a frequent flyer because your membership number comes up on their screen. I believe it also tells them what level of member you are. Therefore there is at least a possibility of getting a degree of latitude for being a regular customer.

I think you're missing the point here. As andy wrote, members with a higher status level receive a more favorable baggage allowance (more bags). But simply mentioning that you are a Miles and More member will do nothing to change the already quite generous baggage allowance with regards to ski carriage.

I've flown Lufthansa and Swiss countless times with skis. Skis and boots in a seperate bag fly free. That's the policy and whether or not you are a frequent flyer has no baring. Never been weighed, never had them open the bag, never called ahead. Simple.

On one occasion the person at check-in looked at my ski bag and asked if it was "excess baggage". I told her no, it was skis, which fly free with Swiss. End of discussion. Worth pointing out that here in Berlin, the check-in staff is outsourced and not employed by the airlines. She neither knew nor cared about my frequent flyer membership. She also didn't know the ski carriage policy, which I had no problem explaining to her.
ski holidays
ami in berlin wrote:
OliviaDB wrote:

The manager is right, you don't need to call them. Doesn't say that anywhere, either.
http://www.swiss.com/web/EN/services/baggage/Pages/sporting_equipment.aspx#ski

I SWEAR I saw it. Hence my ringing them. I didn't do it for fun. God knows WHERE I saw it though. :-s
... I'm not going mad. Der than normal. :-S
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy