Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easyjet - baggage scam

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

only free if your skis are less than 140cm

When I double checked the Swiss web site yesterday that 140cm figure is mentioned, but if you read further it does say that skis can be any length.

The rules have recently changed, and the web site does say that you luggage total weight must not exceed your checked in allowance (including skis & boots). rob@rar perhaps you booked before the rule change?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
elliot wrote:
Do gloves, ski jacket, ski trousers and helmet class as clothes or sports equipment? I would say the latter. Hope so other wise its going to be a very warm flight indeed! Shock

Would you take those items if you weren't taking part in a sport? Thought not. So they must be sports equipment.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
musher, definitely still free
http://www.swiss.com/web/EN/services/baggage/Pages/sporting_equipment.aspx

"Your checked sports equipment is free of charge if within your free baggage allowance" refers to sporting equipment but scroll down the page to Wintner Sports Equipment (as I posted last night) and it opens up to say skis are free.

what the hell, here's the whole page... my bold and colour

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sports baggage

For tickets issued on/after 01 June 2012, the concept of transporting sports equipment has been simplified.

Your checked sports equipment is free of charge if within your free baggage allowance. If your free baggage allowance is exceeded by either the weight per piece or amount of pieces, following special sports charges apply:

Charges for category “Normal”
Within Europe Intercontinental
CHF 60
EUR 50
USD/CAD 70 CHF 120
EUR 100
USD/CAD 150

Charges for category "Big"
Within Europe Intercontinental
CHF 120
EUR 100
CAD/USD 150 CHF 240
EUR 200
USD/CAD 300

For the frequently transported sports items listed below we offer the special sports item charges. For all sports items not on the list, the normal excess baggage rates apply.

Sports items category "Normal"
Sports equipment Definition
Golf Equipment* 1 golf bag containing 1 set of golf clubs, golf balls and tees, 1 pair of golf shoes
Ski Equipment ** 1 pair of ski, 1 pair of poles, 1 pair of boots (even if in separate bag), 1 helmet
Snowboard Equipment 1 snowboard, 1 pair of boots (even if in separate bag, 1 helmet
Waterski Equipment 1 pair of water ski or 1 slalom water ski
Bicycle 1 regular bike (no motor / no e-bike) or 1 special children’s trolley to use with a bike or 1 one-wheel bike
Scuba Equipment 1 diving mask, snorkel, fins, wetsuit, BCD-jacket, regulator, 1 empty tankbottle, 1 lamp (switched off, energy source separately packed, removed battery protected against short circuit)
Surfboard 1 board (up to 2m)
Boogieboard / Bodyboard / Wakeboard 1 board
Kite Surfboard 1 kite, 1 board
Waveboard 1 board, 1 set of body protection (knee, arms, etc.), 1 helmet
Archery Equipment 1 set of bow and arrow packed in 1 durable protective container
Bowling Equipment 1 bowling bag, 1 bowling ball, 1 pair of shoes
Fishing Equipment 1 tackle box or 1 haversack or 1 angler’s basket, 1 rod, 1 bag or 1 box
Sporting/Hunting Weapons plus Ammunition Sporting/Hunting guns, pistols, rifles plus ammunition (ammunition must be packed separately)
Parachute Equipment 1 set of Parachute Equipment packed in 1 container
Skateboard 1 board, 1 set of body protection (knee, arms, etc.) 1 helmet
Tennis- / Squash-/Badmington Equipment 1 set of rackets and balls packed in 1 bag
Alpinist / Hiking / Walking Equipment 1 backpack, 1 ice pick, 1 pair of climbing iron, 1 pair of poles
Hockey Equipment 1 hockey bag, hockey sticks, 1 pair of ice skates, 1 set of body protection (knee,arms, etc.), 1 helmet
Inline skates 1 pair of inline skates, 1 set of body protection (knee,arms,etc.), 1 helmet
Javelin 1 set of javelin packed in one container
*Swiss Golf Traveller can check-in 1 set of golfing equipment free of charge. SWISS HON Circle and Senator members can check-in 1 set of golfing equipment free of charge on worldwide routes except for flights to/from/via USA/CAN.
**On flights operated by SWISS, the 1st pair of ski/winter sport equipment is always free of charge

Sports items category "Big"
Tandem Bike 1 tandem bike with max. 2 seats (no motor/no e-bike)
Windsurf Equipment 1 board, 1 sail, 1 boom, 1 mast, 1 gear bag
Hang Gliding Equipment 1 set of hang gliding equipment packed in 1 container
Longboard 1 board (exceeding 2m)
Horse Riding Equipment 1 saddle, 1 set of horse harness, 1 horse whip, 1 pair of riding boots, 1 bareback pad, 1 set of polo sticks
Canoe/Kayak 1 canoe or 1 kayak (no motor attached), 1 set of paddles
Rubber Dinghy 1 rubber dinghy (no motor attached), 1 set of paddles
Pole Vault Equipment 1 set of vaulting poles packed in 1 container

Winter sports equipment
Free transport on SWISS operated flights. Sports equipment Definition
Ski equipment 1 pair of ski, 1 pair of poles, 1 pair of boots (even if in separate bag), 1 helmet
Snowboard equipment 1 snowboard, 1 pair of boots (even if in separate bag, 1 helm
et

Terms and conditions
SWISS does not accept sports equipment of more than 32kgs
References for payable amount are as following:
Switzerland: amount listed in CHF as reference
Europe (excluding Switzerland) amount listed in EUR as reference
Outside Europe: amount listed in USD as reference
Canada: amount listed in CAD as reference
If the sports equipment contains more items than defined in the above list, the normal excess baggage rates apply for the entire sports equipment
The assignment to the 2 categories is final and doesn’t change depending on the weight/size of the sports item.
Example: a windsurf equipment is always charged according to the category “big”, irrespective of its size/weight
Weapons and bicycles must be reserved in advance
If you travel as a group and/or bring large or a rather excessive amount of sport equipment, contact a SWISS service center for pre-advice.
Charges for sports equipment apply for a single route. The charge will be paid twice for a return flight.
Swiss advises careful and appropriate packing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar wrote:
mcspreader wrote:
Just checked on a comparison sight for sporting goods and swissair is only free if your skis are less than 140cm long. Hmm......
No idea if the comparison are rubbish or not.
Yes, that comparison was rubbish.

I'd like to politely point out that both you and the check in person at the airport were talking rubbish too. Very Happy

2 sets of skis and you're paying 120 CHF return - looks like the big boys would be staying at home.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
[quote="Fifespud"]
pam w wrote:

People were getting onto that plane with absurd amounts of hand baggage and despite the announcement that it would be strictly one bag each, this wasn't being enforced. ...

Fifespud,I've never seen anyone get on an EJ flight with 2 items of hand baggage - ever.

!

I am intrigued that the contents of a handbag filling coat pockets is acceptable, whereas a small handbag is not....
It is the same weight but carried in a different container....
I tend to look like a Michelin woman when boarding EJ...but that doesn't bother me.. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
musher wrote:
When I double checked the Swiss web site yesterday that 140cm figure is mentioned, but if you read further it does say that skis can be any length.

Linky? I'm not seeing those figures anywhere associated with skis. A bit of investigation turned up a 140cm limit associated with golf equipment.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
[quote="Julieanne"]
Fifespud wrote:
pam w wrote:

People were getting onto that plane with absurd amounts of hand baggage and despite the announcement that it would be strictly one bag each, this wasn't being enforced. ...

Fifespud,I've never seen anyone get on an EJ flight with 2 items of hand baggage - ever.

!

I am intrigued that the contents of a handbag filling coat pockets is acceptable, whereas a small handbag is not....
It is the same weight but carried in a different container....
I tend to look like a Michelin woman when boarding EJ...but that doesn't bother me.. Madeye-Smiley

I remember seeing a consumer programme about this once. A guy had a big jacket with about 30 pockets, including a big pocket you could put a lap top in down your back - it was brilliant.

They also pointed out people were taking stuff that was cheaper to buy in the resort per kg than it was to pay excess baggage per kg on.

Maybe you could have a big pocket down your trouser leg you could get your skis in?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fifespud wrote:
Maybe you could have a big pocket down your trouser leg you could get your skis in?

Suddenly, I spy a use for those weird skis with hinged tails that popped up on the forum a few weeks back. (can't find the thread now, of course)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Serriadh,

That may have been it under the general sports equipment section, but as I said it does state that skis can be any length.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Swiss

Just to be clear or not.

Skis & Snowboards come under the Sports items category "Normal"

http://www.swiss.com/web/EN/services/baggage/Pages/sporting_equipment.aspx

Note the ** after Ski Equipment

There is no astrisks after Snowboard Equipment.

at the bottom of page it says

**On flights operated by SWISS, the 1st pair of ski/winter sport equipment is always free of charge
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stanton wrote:
There is no astrisks after Snowboard Equipment.

at the bottom of page it says

Under the "Winter Sports Equipment" tab, you get:

Quote:
Winter sports equipment
Free transport on SWISS operated flights.

Ski equipment 1 pair of ski, 1 pair of poles, 1 pair of boots (even if in separate bag), 1 helmet
Snowboard equipment 1 snowboard, 1 pair of boots (even if in separate bag, 1 helmet

As highlighted above by holidayloverxx with the page in full.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Serriadh, thank you! someone is reading it!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Serriadh,

I know I read it but why only have Ski equipement highlighted with ** and a not of guidance?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Serriadh wrote:
musher wrote:

Linky? I'm not seeing those figures anywhere associated with skis. A bit of investigation turned up a 140cm limit associated with golf equipment.

I found it - it was in the old rules pre 01/06/12 under the definition of categories; small..."up to 1.40m and 15kg"...snow equipment ... can actually have 23kg not 15 and elsewhere states that the skis can be any length.

http://www.swiss.com/web/EN/services/baggage/Pages/former_sporting_equipment.aspx
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stanton wrote:
I know I read it but why only have Ski equipement highlighted with ** and a not of guidance?

Poor editting or writing, at a guess. Possibly they've not spotted the issue, and no-one has mentioned it to them? I've no idea how big corporate websites are managed, other than 'inconsistently' wink

musher wrote:
I found it - it was in the old rules pre 01/06/12 under the definition of categories; small..."up to 1.40m and 15kg"...snow equipment ... can actually have 23kg not 15 and elsewhere states that the skis can be any length.

Yeah, that would explain it. Evidently the rules page lists the new streamlined and clarified version to avoid confusion snowHead
snow report
Serriadh,

The old rules still operate on bookings made before 01/06/12 - perhaps that's how rob@rar got away with it.
snow report
Here it is - the Rufus Roo - I'm tempted - just to give MOL the middle finger!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/B0050JBVJU/ref=dp_otherviews_z_3?ie=UTF8&img=3&s=sports&tag=amz07b-21[/url]
snow report
musher wrote:
The old rules still operate on bookings made before 01/06/12 - perhaps that's how rob@rar got away with it.
What are the new rules? The info that holidayloverxx, quoted seems clear enough and I guess they are current? I took skis on a Swiss flight last week and in June, and didn't have to pay ski carriage on either flight. Last week's flight was booked after 1/6/12 IIRC.
snow conditions
holidayloverxx wrote:
musher, definitely still free

...as I keep saying Puzzled
snow report
musher, you said at 12:33 "The rules have recently changed, and the web site does say that you luggage total weight must not exceed your checked in allowance (including skis & boots) " which is not the same as saying skis are free as we would generally understand it, i.e. in addition to checked in allowance
ski holidays
rob@rar,

As both holidayloverxx and I have said, the Swiss web site states that skis, boots and poles in either one or two bags (possibly 3 with a helmet as well) are still free as long as you total luggage weight is under your "free" allowance. Your allowance depends on your ticket class and destination.
snow report
holidayloverxx,

Refer back to your post:

Quote:

Your checked sports equipment is free of charge if within your free baggage allowance. If your free baggage allowance is exceeded by either the weight per piece or amount of pieces, following special sports charges apply:
ski holidays
musher wrote:
rob@rar,

As both holidayloverxx and I have said, the Swiss web site states that skis, boots and poles in either one or two bags (possibly 3 with a helmet as well) are still free as long as you total luggage weight is under your "free" allowance. Your allowance depends on your ticket class and destination.

Well that certainly wasn't the understanding of the check-in agents in LHR or GVA in June and again last week. My hold luggage and ski were comfortably in excess of 23kg.
latest report
I read that as you can have for your checked in luggage:
    one hold bag
    1 ski bag
    1 boot bag
    (and possibly a helmet bag as well)

as long as they all come in under your 32kgs or whatever it is.
latest report
musher wrote:
    one hold bag
    1 ski bag
    1 boot bag

Your free allowance is 23kg.
snow report
musher, yebbut that means sports equipment in general, but if it's on the "normal" or "big" list it will be chargeable, but they go on to say:
Winter sports equipment
Free transport on SWISS operated flights. Sports equipment Definition
Snowboard equipment 1 snowboard, 1 pair of boots (even if in separate bag, 1 helmet
snow report
musher wrote:
    one hold bag
    1 ski bag
    1 boot bag

what more evidence do you want? you are reading it wrong.....
ski holidays
rob@rar,

If you did book your flight after 01/06/21 ithen the new rules should have applied, and you have either been lucky or the Swiss baggage allowance rules are about as clear as EasyJet's.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This seems to be the relevant page from the Swiss website. Right hand column, underneath the picture of a skier it says this
Quote:
Free transport of ski and snowboard equipment
On flights operated by SWISS, the 1st pair of ski/winter sport equipment is always free of charge.
And then goes on to list definitions of various types of sports equipment.
snow conditions
musher, he's not lucky (well he is, but not in this case) and most of us find the Swiss allowance rules clear enough wink
snow conditions
rob@rar, that's the right hand side of the page I posted above (I posted the main text) and in an earlier link. I'm losing the will to live here....
ski holidays
musher, I agree the page is confusing - in fact I started a thread on this topic earlier in the year. But I don't think I was lucky with my flights, I just think those are the regulations. Twice (flying out of LHR in JUne, and flying back from GVA last week) the check-in agent has to search through their system to find out what was the regulation for skis. On both occasions I flew without any extra charges. I'm pretty sure they weren't looking at Swiss' website and then making their own determination of the policy.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, Laughing
latest report
holidayloverxx,

Perhaps you're right - I'm going to give up reading web sites and email the help desks instead.
snow report
I think I'll put my ski boots into the boot bag for when I check-in for my easyjet flights, I'll easily go over 20kg with them in my suitcase, I've paid for ski carriage so its good to know that I can do this.

I don't think the terms say anything about sports clothing just equipment, I don't think they're going to ask whether or not you've got sports clothing in your case!
latest report
RichardB, i might have missed it but i thought ski boots in a boot bag are not included in easyjet ski carriage
snow report
holidayloverxx, I'm fairly certain that they are....

Here: http://easyjet.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4039/kw/ski%20equipment
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
RichardB, i might have missed it but i thought ski boots in a boot bag are not included in easyjet ski carriage

I agree it's not strictly clear but I noticed it happening last year and have since done it myself maybe 3 times - EDI-GVA and back again - no issues.
The EJ/Ground staff certainly seem to think sports equipment constitutes a ski bag + a boot bag.
snow report
Quote:

Twice ... the check-in agent has to search through their system to find out what was the regulation for skis.

Think it partly depends when you fly too. Last time I took skis (Lufthansa) the lad at baggage drop had to consult a ring binder with big diagrams and a price list, and when I told him it was free (the website said so, and the phone hotline concurred), he had to call the manager over... who confirmed it was free (Skis, Boots, Helmet - can all be in separate bags == 1 ski equipment). This was for the PSB last yr, and probably the first ever skis the lad had ever had to check in, but even for those more experienced check in staff, they'd probably have been the 1st skis they'd checked in for the season, and the 1st since the annual June change in policy. At GVA, it was just "Oh - skis - take them to the ski drop over there".

Might be time to set the plain English campaign on to the Airline websites / T+C. Some people keep saying it's clear what baggage you can/can't take and have to pay for, but judging by the numbers of threads on here and elsewhere, they obviously aren't.
snow conditions
andy, I thinks its a bit unfair to compare the 2, Geneva has ski flights coming in almost daily throughout the season and the airport is near the Alps so I think mostly everyone who works there knows the score, over here its a very different story as the knowledge for the majority just isn't there. I'm not surprised that they closely check things.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy