Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easyjet - baggage scam

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone, just thought I would make this topic to warn others. (if you are planning on booking with Easyjet - don't and here's why)

My situation is I have booked a ski holiday next year to France flying from Gatwick to Geneva and back.

In the past I have had very pleasant trips with Easyjet but this time its a whole new ball game!

So first off the reason I chose Easyjet is I have flown with them and been happy before so as they were coming in at the lowest price along side Swiss air I thought I will stick with them.

So I went to the online booking added me and my partner to the flight times we wanted and carried on through to the add baggage section.

My partner is traveling with one hold bag which I paid for costing £19 for her 20kg bag, and I am traveling with just my snowboard bag which cost £54! as I put my skis and clothes in there together as this saves money on two bags and saves lugging too hold bags around the airport/transport all day (which would be next to impossible) The baggage allowance on the board bag is up to 32kg which would comfortably cater for what I am going to put in there. Great - went through and booked the flights.

So what is the problem you are probably thinking?

Well I thought I'm just going to double check everything with Easyjet to confirm it so no problems at the counter and after 2 emails after they stopped 'copy and pasting' their terms and conditions at me I finally got a human response 'I think' rolling eyes

To which they were saying I was only entitled to 12kg for my ski bag as I had also bought a 20kg hold bag, I thought eh? So I eventually discussed that if that is the case they are offering more to customers who book separately and not together.. so they backed down and said I will get the 32kg for my ski bag and 20kg for her hold bag so I thought finally okay. And as I read on it got even more knit picky. They then said to me you can carry up to 32kg in your ski bag but you are not allowed any clothing in the bag what so ever only skis.

Uhhh hold on..

So basically I am not allowed to use the weight allowance I have paid for and am now meant to buy an extra hold bag (another £19) and have the burden of lugging that around everywhere!
As far as I can see there is no danger - its not like it's a health hazard, packing clothes and skis together if anything pads my equipment out and protects it from the trigger happy bag handlers, I have had no problems in the past with airlines letting me do this and have traveled with it about 5 times now, so why do I have to pay for another bag now?

Answer - So that Easyjet can milk more money out of the customer.

I am so disappointed with their lack of clarity, hidden charges and poor communication. Even though my holiday is months away I am already stressed about traveling and wish I booked with Swissair!

And as an additional plus I'm now facing I thought right I'm going with Swiss air same price - no hassle, ski bag free and hold bags included...
Can I cancel my booking Easyjet? Yes but you wont get your £54 back for your skis as its non refundable!
But I haven't even traveled yet! How is that not refundable?

So anyway I'm not normally this down hearted about things and I cannot wait to get skiing again I absolutely love it but if you are flying and want it to feel like a holiday avoid this company.

Happy hols ppl, hope we get some good snow this year!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oops I posted this in wrong section sorry admin, be greatful if you could move it, can't retype that again lol Wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How much is it costing in total, flight, fees and baggage charges, both as you would see it paid, and what they expect you to pay?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
seems 100% clear to me on their website. How can it be a scam when they are doing what they say they will do and charge? No lack of clarity, no hidden charges????

http://easyjet.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4050/kw/

and

http://easyjet.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4039/kw/sports%20equipment

Quote:
Please note that you are not allowed to pack sports equipment and clothes together.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 17-10-12 13:59; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Centennially would not avoid using Easy Jet if they are flying where I want to go at a price I am happy to pay
Every one should have worked out by now that airlines are in business to make money and will charge as much as they can for extras.
Most airlines charge extra for sports equipment and state that's all that should be in the bag. some don't seem to be that fussed about checking at the airport whats in the bag but they may do
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This is in flat contradiction to last season. I assume they realised from all the fuss on here that lots of people would use the loophole.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've always filled my ski bag with clothes or more skis - the record being 4 sets of skis - none of the check in staff have ever batted an eye. They also carry your boot bag for nothing when you book your skis on.

Easyjet flying out of Scotland have been a revelation for us Jockos.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've just had a look, out of interest, at BA and EasyJet.

Flying from London (Heathrow for BA and Stanstead for EJ) to Geneva, the first week in March, Leave in the morning, fly back mid afternoon...

Checking in 1 bags at up to 23kg and ski equipment

EJ : £224
BA: £170

And that doesn't take into account free meals on the BA flight.

Why does anyone still fly EJ?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
feef wrote:

Why does anyone still fly EJ?

Because often EJ are often cheaper than BA and people might prefer the airport options offered by EJ to BA or vice versa. There is no general rule about which airline will be cheaper - you need to check each time.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
feef, because they are the only airline to fly from a local airport to places I want to go?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Or sometimes, for me, it is the late flight back which allows me to ski all day.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Local airports? I found it cheaper to drive to Manchester from Cambridge than fly from a London airport last year. Smile

And when I lived in Scotland, we flew from Birmingham, Luton and Manchester as it was cheaper than the TO's surcharges for Scottish airports

Maybe it's just me Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The bottom line is all Airlines (except Swiss) have got it in for Skiers (Swiss has it in for snowboarders).

A Pair of ski's,binding & poles (mine are Fisher Progressor) weighs around 3.5kg & they want to charge obscene rates even though your main hold bag may only weigh 15kg.

For the US.
United Airlines policy has changed this season (If I read it right) If you take Skis as a second bag the fee is $100.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
They made me pay the same as my daughter who is 70 kilos lighter!!! what a rip off.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
feef, It all depends on when you want to fly and when you book....I fly often from Geneva to London, returns with EJ have been around £100, Swiss more than double that, sometimes £300-£400, even booking several months in advance.
ski holidays
£19 hold bag plus £54 ski bag ... they'd have to give you the flight for £30 or less to beat BA (letting you take it all in one free bag, booked well in advance) on price.
snow report
Brilliant, the monthly "I hate easyjet" thread. If you dot like, go elsewhere. It's not difficult.
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
Brilliant, the monthly "I hate easyjet" thread. If you dot like, go elsewhere. It's not difficult.

I don't dislike easyjet, and I have flown with them when there's no other option, but it does seem a little steep to have such piecemeal pricing structure.
snow report
Whitters, Have noticed that Geneva-London-Geneva comes up more expensive than the other way around on Swiss sometimes. Weird.

Ricklovesthepowder, Brilliant, the monthly I hate "I hate EasyJet Thread" post. If you don't like it, go elsewhere! Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

Hi Im not trying to upset anyone just sharing a bad experience to help others.

This is the first time I have complained on easyjet as never had it in the past it is just a shame they have adopted the monkey see monkey do attitude toward the sly charges that are becoming ever so common.

The total price for this is going to cost me £339.96 with hold and ski bag charged, obviously plus extra baggage they want me to pay it comes to £357.96

Yes you might say its only £18 but the point is it is an unecessary greed charge, if you think about it I would actually be saving them a hold space.

It is the whole catch you out thing I can't stand and once you have parted with your money its as difficult as hell to get it back if you have a problem.

For the reply about how easy it is to understand, I disagree.

Adding to that point I don't believe everyone should have to read a long small print column on everything they buy, it should be made clear from the word go.

Swiss air is £342 and thats 23kg hold each and 1 free ski/board bag included. Which is advertised clearly and for the only reason of past experience I went for easyJ. Embarassed

Obviously now im caught in the web im just going to have to bite my tongue and cough up this extra £18 as it would be silly to waste more money at this point changing company, I will have to just fly with someone else in the future - lesson learnt.
snow report
It's not a ski or board bag, it's sports equipment. I don't know about you, but I consider salopettes, socks, underwear, thermals, jumpers, jeans, tshirts, poles, boots, etc all essential equipment for skiing...

Plus they never check what's in there, oversize baggage goes through the airport's handlers as far as I can see, Easyjet staff don't have a chance to see what's in it...

Personally I reckon Easyjet are the best of the budgets. KLM are also great, give them 24 hours notice and as long as it's within weight limits you can use your ski bag as you sole luggage item for no extra charge. I have a massive double ski bag - holds two sets of skis, my boots, poles and 90% of my clothes (the rest goes in hand baggage).

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 17-10-12 18:31; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
powderskiier, Im with you. Its all too stressful these days - hence so many posts about luggage/ski bags/clothing in ski bags etc

These SH can be an unsympathetic lot though when it comes down to the T&C - regardless of whether its flights or ski passes etc

I dont mind foregoing a meal or in-flight entertainment or not getting free seat allocation on checking in for a cheaper flight - but I do mind the stress about the pedantry in T&C enforcement such as that which sees queues of people at check out juggling luggage at check in. Last time we flew, Ryan Air, I had to shift 1kg of weight from one case to another at the check in desk. I was still under my allowance for both cases in total but each had to be 15kg or under. In reality it made no difference which case that 1kg was in - but the check in girls insisted it be moved rolling eyes
ski holidays
If I were you Id put half your clothes and half hers in the hold bag and the rest in the ski bag. If they check then tell them its old clothing that youve used as protective padding for your skis.
latest report
Quote:

Last time we flew, Ryan Air, I had to shift 1kg of weight from one case to another at the check in desk. I was still under my allowance for both cases in total but each had to be 15kg or under. In reality it made no difference which case that 1kg was in - but the check in girls insisted it be moved rolling eyes

I have often wondered if they were paid a share for each extra charge they collected.
snow conditions
Shimmy and clarky thanks for the replies it is great to hear someone on the same wave length, I have got to say after reading that Im tempted just to pack it how I normally would and if anything happens i think both your explanations sound valid to me Smile

Cheers
snow report
I flew easyjet Geneva - Gatwick this afternoon. The plane full, as was the Manchester flight which departed about the same time. for both flights they were announcing that as the plane was full, they expected to be short of space for hand baggage, and would a dozen volunteers mind having their bags checked into the hold "free".

People were getting onto that plane with absurd amounts of hand baggage and despite the announcement that it would be strictly one bag each, this wasn't being enforced. The girl getting on just in front of me had a sizeable "Gladstone bag" thing plus a very chunky leather handbag with lots of pockets, straps and buckles. I don't know whether anyone volunteered to have their baggage put in the hold (where my backpack already was) but thanks to the queues for immigration, there was no delay waiting for baggage anyway. Twisted Evil

The last week or so has seen a number of reports of airlines charging for hand baggage - and given the amount some people carry, that's sure to become more widespread in the future. Seems fair to me; extra kilos cost extra fuel, whether they are in the hold or in the cabin. Cabins are becoming choked with hand baggage, and it takes far longer to load the planes. I got on the plane at pretty much the last minute, and only had a very small bag, and no coat - I'm sure it would have been a struggle to shove a coat into an overhead locker, had I needed to do so.

Then when you get off the plane, people with vast rolling bags are weaving their way past you, bashing into ankles.

The charges need to be more straightforward and transparent. £X per kilo, with maybe an overall dimension limit for any one bag, and combinable for people booking and travelling together. I can see no reason why the rules/charges for "sports equipment" should be different from the rules for anything else.

It shouldn't take a forensic analysis of pages of small print to work out what you are, and are not, allowed to take and how much it will cost you.
snow report
I looked at Easyjet and Swiss this w/e for a Manchester-Geneva flight in December and Easyjet won out by a few quid. Swiss now charge for ski carriage, which they didn't do last season - shame.
Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
neil_b wrote:
I looked at Easyjet and Swiss this w/e for a Manchester-Geneva flight in December and Easyjet won out by a few quid. Swiss now charge for ski carriage, which they didn't do last season - shame.
Crying or Very sad

I don't think they do.....

Winter sports equipment
Free transport on SWISS operated flights.
Sports equipment Definition
Ski equipment 1 pair of ski, 1 pair of poles, 1 pair of boots (even if in separate bag), 1 helmet
Snowboard equipment 1 snowboard, 1 pair of boots (even if in separate bag, 1 helmet
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999 wrote:
It's not a ski or board bag, it's sports equipment. I don't know about you, but I consider salopettes, socks, underwear, thermals, jumpers, jeans, tshirts, poles, boots, etc all essential equipment for skiing...

Plus they never check what's in there, oversize baggage goes through the airport's handlers as far as I can see, Easyjet staff don't have a chance to see what's in it...

Personally I reckon Easyjet are the best of the budgets. KLM are also great, give them 24 hours notice and as long as it's within weight limits you can use your ski bag as you sole luggage item for no extra charge. I have a massive double ski bag - holds two sets of skis, my boots, poles and 90% of my clothes (the rest goes in hand baggage).

Absolutely.

If I could be ars*d I do a forensic sweep of Swissair's T and C's - I'll bet there are a few surprises in there too.
snow conditions
pam w, I agree totally with your views on the vast amount of luggage carted onto flight. IMHO you should be charged for carry on baggage, but hold luggage should be free to a reasonable amount.
latest report
pam w wrote:
I flew easyjet Geneva - Gatwick this afternoon. The plane full, as was the Manchester flight which departed about the same time. for both flights they were announcing that as the plane was full, they expected to be short of space for hand baggage, and would a dozen volunteers mind having their bags checked into the hold "free".

People were getting onto that plane with absurd amounts of hand baggage and despite the announcement that it would be strictly one bag each, this wasn't being enforced. The girl getting on just in front of me had a sizeable "Gladstone bag" thing plus a very chunky leather handbag with lots of pockets, straps and buckles. I don't know whether anyone volunteered to have their baggage put in the hold (where my backpack already was) but thanks to the queues for immigration, there was no delay waiting for baggage anyway. Twisted Evil

The last week or so has seen a number of reports of airlines charging for hand baggage - and given the amount some people carry, that's sure to become more widespread in the future. Seems fair to me; extra kilos cost extra fuel, whether they are in the hold or in the cabin. Cabins are becoming choked with hand baggage, and it takes far longer to load the planes. I got on the plane at pretty much the last minute, and only had a very small bag, and no coat - I'm sure it would have been a struggle to shove a coat into an overhead locker, had I needed to do so.

Then when you get off the plane, people with vast rolling bags are weaving their way past you, bashing into ankles.

The charges need to be more straightforward and transparent. £X per kilo, with maybe an overall dimension limit for any one bag, and combinable for people booking and travelling together. I can see no reason why the rules/charges for "sports equipment" should be different from the rules for anything else.

It shouldn't take a forensic analysis of pages of small print to work out what you are, and are not, allowed to take and how much it will cost you.

Extra kilos cost extra fuel - true - but if you load the plane yourself they are saving a) time and b) money as they don't have to pay baggage handlers.
No weight limit on hand baggage with EJ unlike MOL's lot.

How did they bags bash your ankles? Were you standing half in/half out of the aisle? If you are in the aisle they cant get past you, if you're in the seat area your ankles are safe.

The baggage weight can be aggregated on EJ not on MOL's mob.

Skis have to go down a different conveyor - the weight allowance is greater - the ground handlers charge more - hence they charge us more.

I've never seen anyone get on an EJ flight with 2 items of hand baggage - ever.

The charges are totally transparent to me.

Not having a go at anyone personally but for JC's sake. These flights are often cheaper than the train, you always get a seat, try taking skis/boots/big holdall/hand baggage on a train = total nightmare!
latest report
neil_b,

Swiss will still carry a hold bag, ski bag and boot bag at no extra cost if they are all within your checked in baggage allowance.
snow report
Quote:

How did they bags bash your ankles?

I was walking, at a reasonably brisk pace, without shoving past the people in front, down the several miles of corridors between the plane and immigration. People were dashing along to get there quicker, weaving in and out, dragging their darned great things on wheels roughly behind them. One chap, young and fit, was running flat out, possibly (I thought, charitably) very late for a flight connection.

I agree flights are often very cheap, in the overall scheme of things, and am an easyJet fan. I just don't for the life of me see why people can't pay for exactly what they take on the flight, wherever it is stowed. When I checked my backpack in at Gatwick on my outward flight (pre-paid when I booked) I had to carry it over to "outsize baggage". Didn't cost me any extra, though.

I also agree that taking a lot of baggage on a train can be grim. I haven't travelled by train for years, but despite travelling light enough to have crossed both London and Paris by public transport, without fuss, I had to sleep with my skis on the sleeper, using backpack as a pillow. Laughing

It's amazing how much fuss people going on a £1000 holiday can make about a small extra charge.
snow conditions
clarky999 wrote:

clarky999 skis in jeans!
latest report
Just checked on a comparison sight for sporting goods and swissair is only free if your skis are less than 140cm long. Hmm......
No idea if the comparison are rubbish or not.
snow report
mcspreader wrote:
Just checked on a comparison sight for sporting goods and swissair is only free if your skis are less than 140cm long. Hmm......

Let us know the site, so we can avoid it in future wink The Swiss site itself makes no mention of ski lengths: http://www.swiss.com/web/EN/services/baggage/Pages/sporting_equipment.aspx

stanton wrote:
The bottom line is all Airlines (except Swiss) have got it in for Skiers (Swiss has it in for snowboarders).

Regs say "1 snowboard, 1 pair of boots (even if in separate bag, 1 helmet" may be carried as the free winter sports kit allowance. Did I miss something important?
ski holidays
neil_b wrote:
Swiss now charge for ski carriage, which they didn't do last season - shame.
Crying or Very sad
Swiss still offer free ski carriage, at least they do on the LHR-GVA route. I flew with Swiss to GVA from LHR last week. Luggage allowance for an economy seat was 1 x hold luggage up to 23kg PLUS ski equipment (can be carried in separate ski bag and boot bag). Hand luggage was regulation size and up to 8kg.

The check-in agent at GVA wasn't familiar with the rules so I had to politely remind him that it was 23kg plus skis, which he confirmed after searching through system a bit more thoroughly.
latest report
mcspreader wrote:
No idea if the comparison are rubbish or not.
Yes, that comparison was rubbish.
snow report
Fifespud wrote:
I've always filled my ski bag with clothes or more skis - the record being 4 sets of skis - none of the check in staff have ever batted an eye. They also carry your boot bag for nothing when you book your skis on.

Easyjet flying out of Scotland have been a revelation for us Jockos.

There were around 30 12-17 year olds flying Easyjet to Geneva from Edinburgh for a two week training camp last weekend , they were weighing every bag and if you were over 32kg were wanting to charge for excess. Think they might be tightening up , they can now take payment at the check in desk.
latest report
Had a look on the Easy jet web site. it doesnt explane what classes as sports equipment. Do gloves, ski jacket, ski trousers and helmet class as clothes or sports equipment? I would say the latter. Hope so other wise its going to be a very warm flight indeed! Shock
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy