Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Choosing A Powder Ski - Chose WhiteDot Directors then impulse bought Coreupt Bangers as well!

Poster: A snowHead
Progressor 900's can be bought for not a lot on ebay.de I was going to buy some but got a great deal on some Blizzards in the UK.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cheers Colin B, those prices are pretty sweet. I didn't think I'd buy my piste skis til I'm out there, but less than £300 including delivery with bindings is almost too good to ignore. If I were to make another impulse buy (and dig into my savings account) would 165cm or 170cm be preferable? I was on some 163cm K2 Apache Recons about a month ago, which were really nice and versatile and so easy to initiate turns with, but they felt slow and I couldn't help thinking that they were just a fair bit too short.

Edit: Apache Recons supposedly don't come in 163cm, they must've been mislabeled 160s. No wonder they felt short.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DannyB01, Dunno, I would have gone for 165 for me, depends on your size, etc.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Colin B - just short of 75kg, 5'10" and an average level of aggressiveness. I think 165cm would probably be my best bet, I was on some 167cm Rossignol somethings (wish I could remember what they were) before Christmas which didn't feel short, and I loved how easy it was to just bounce around doing short turns on the 160cm K2 Apache Recons, just wanted them to feel faster.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DannyB01, at 5'10" you can't ski a 160. I like short skis, but that is extreme. I have some 167 Recons that are about as short as I would consider, and I am 5'11". You will grow out of anything less than 167 in a very short time period.

That said, the Recon really isn't a powder ski. It is the narrowest ski I've got, and I'd say it is a 90/10 ski at most, and if you go short then even less than that.

I'm sure you've worked it out, but a ski like the Directors is a very different animal to the Recons.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Monium, this is piste skis he's talking about for length now isn't it? If I read it correctly.

165cm for a piste ski will be OK. 160 too short.

He should be getting Directors much longer than 165 anyway!! 180 or something, not sure what sizes they come in though.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I did CSIA1/2 and CSCF on a pair of 162 and they were ideal. Reckon a lot of it is personal preference.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DannyB01, I am also 5ft 10" I have a 170cm piste ski. I have a 165cm ski that I used for my BASI L1 and for shadowing indoors.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you're not sure on length, I'd wait until you get out there. You're going to be skiing on these all season so need to get it right! Definitely don't want a full blown race ski for learning/teaching on soft pistes. You'll see a lot of instructors on Head Titans out there, so must be a good benchmark to start testing from.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Rossi Series 7, by far the most skiable skis in all conditions at all levels. Pick 7, Super 7 or Squad and be blown away.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Monium, yeah I ended up going a bit off-topic because of what Colin said about the deals on progressor 900s on ebay.de. The directors I should be getting (been a bit of a mix up I hope it gets sorted) will be 188cm so nice and big.

I'll almost certainly wait till I'm out there to choose my other set of skis, but there's a listing on ebay I'm watching which I might bid on if it stays at such a silly price. I think 165cm would be a good choice, the slightly short length would be really easy to teach on and do exams with I think.

CH2O, the squad 7 sounds amazing, I was never too interested in the super 7 as doesn't sound right for me and the s7 just looks extremely dull even if it does ski well. Too late now though, I've gone with the whitedot directors. Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DannyB01, seems prerequisite for this forum
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DannyB01, 70 underfoot is narrow for out here, groomer only type ski, I ski on Mantras daily and occasionally pull out some 84 underfoot for the frozen groomer only skiing both 184 cm. Just a little FYI.
Let's hope its a good winter we've been spoiled the last few.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pinhead, What skis have been mentioned that are only 70 underfoot? Otherwise I would tend to agree. I wouldn't want to be using Mantras as an instructor ski though, it would be too much of a compromise. I think the sweetspot for a hard/soft piste groomer only ski is around 75-80 mm waist. Skis wider than this tend to start giving away some hardpack performance for greater off-piste capability. Which is fine for a 1 ski quiver setup, but not so great if you can choose 2 skis. Then I'd question why you would want or need something a bit compromised in the middle ground.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DannyB01, for a teaching \ training ski I can recommend something like these:

http://www.rossignol.com/GB/GB/radical-8gs-cascade_RA1BF01_product_ski-men-skis-race.html

The version I have (orange\black colour) is slightly wider underfoot (80mm) and they make an excellent all round "do it all" ski.
snow report
FWIW after an impulse buy I'll now have 3 pairs of skis, I bought the CoreUPT Bangers from Sport Conrad for practising rails/spins and a mid-fat ski (90 underfoot) - and for not worrying about rocks. Cool

pinhead - yeah I do think 70 would be too small, I'm looking at 75 minimum. I'd definitely go for a more piste specific ski than the Mantras, potentially the Kendo if anything but still not really. As uktrailmonster said, much higher I think I'd be sacrificing a bit of the piste ability which I really don't want to do at all. For my holidays I've skiied in europe exclusively so far so something that's high performance on groomers is essential.

AndAnotherThing.., that's a great recommendation, thanks! It seems to be the ski my friend got for his season in Canada and used for his L1/L2 exams, so probably suited perfectly. Tentative about the 72mm underfoot, sounds a bit narrow for Fernie... This seems better suited, but I think you might have meant it in the first place:
http://global.skipass.com/gearguide/ski/2011/rossignol/radical-8gs-wc-oversize_tests.html

Thanks for all your help everyone, if I make another impulse buy on my piste skis I'll probably be broke but it might happen. I'll probably just stick to choosing while I'm out there, would be nice to demo them first even if it is more expensive. Can't wait to try out the Directors though, wouldn't have even heard of them if it weren't for you guys. Smile
snow report
DannyB01, AndAnotherThing.., Makes a good recommendation but I would go for the 9x which is a bit beefier.

The link you point to is to last year's "Oversize" interestingly they've slimmed down the current model. I would argue this is a good thing.
ski holidays
under a new name - I'm still watching an ebay listing for the Progressor 900s which I'll go for if it stays anything like what it is (less than £150 including bindings), otherwise I think I'll be hard pressed to choose between the different Rossignol models without actually trying them out first. I'll definitely consider them all though, beefier sounds good but I'd be tempted to put up with something not too beefy (mid 70s ideally) so I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything when I ski in europe.
latest report
DannyB01, Yep, that's the one I have.

There is also a 9GS which is stiffer again. I went for the 8 'cause it was cheap & available having originally decided on the 9, but they have been fine.

under a new name, I noticed the new one is slimmer, I guess they are going back to 'race' mode ?
snow report
Just to clarify plenty of skiing out here is blue ungroomed and narrower skis can be more work, I know instructors and patrolers on mid 90's skis. Since it sounds like he's quivered up its moot. May even swing by Fernie on the way to Castle next winter its fun with colder temps and terrible with the warm fronts due to the low elevation.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy