Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is anyone else getting as frustrated as me with the Snowheads ads!!!!!!

Poster: A snowHead
I dont know whether it is just me or not, but I have become incensed with the problems caused by the ads showing on the right had side of the forum.

1. There isn't a get rid of button

2. It blocks the dates and user name of the person who last quoted

3. You cant make an easy reply because of the ad blocking the reply with quote area.

Come on guys this is a great site but please sort out your formatting!!!!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Agreed
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ski Guide wrote:
I dont know whether it is just me or not, but I have become incensed with the problems caused by the ads showing on the right had side of the forum.

3. You cant make an easy reply because of the ad blocking the reply with quote area.

if you click on the little 'minus' sign at the top left of the add they disappear...

If you're getting 'formatting' issues then you must be on a small screen - certainly on a netbook they're a lot more tedious than on a 19" monitor; but if you become a super mega snowHead you can opt to have them turned off

Oh and server space/bandwidth isn't free so it's not surprising Admin needs to recoup the cost somewhere...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Install Adblock in Firefox, Chrome or Safari and you don't need to look at them at all.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ski Guide, If you become a snowhead you get a button to remove it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There is a get rid button. Top left corner, with the little dash.

I agree it's Be Nice please! annoying that they intrude onto the posts though, no need for that at all.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bertie bassett wrote:
Ski Guide wrote:

if you click on the little 'minus' sign at the top left of the add they disappear...

If you're getting 'formatting' issues then you must be on a small screen - certainly on a netbook they're a lot more tedious than on a 19" monitor; but if you become a super mega snowHead you can opt to have them turned off

Oh and server space/bandwidth isn't free so it's not surprising Admin needs to recoup the cost somewhere...

If there was a close symbol it would be oh so simple - and even on your reply a banner is there, but there isnt a clear "close me" symbol or option. My monitor is 19". But thank you anyway.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ski Guide wrote:
bertie bassett wrote:
Ski Guide wrote:

If there was a close symbol it would be oh so simple - and even on your reply a banner is there, but there isnt a clear "close me" symbol or option. My monitor is 19". But thank you anyway.

THERE IS.

Top left corner of the ad!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ski Guide, I used to get frustrated by this too. But there a lots of ad-blocking options out there: you just need to say what browser you are using and it's likely that someone has a solution.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think it's pretty simple; if you don't like the adds, stump up the money for a subscription. There is an option to close them, as has been stated; top left corner of the ad.

I try to click on each ad semi-regularly anyway, because I want the site to continue but I'm too tight to stump up the cash to get rid of the ads.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ski Guide, As already pointed out,there is a close...l/h edge of ad,brings up a hide this ad banner.
However,if the ad is over the quote reply area,you have other issues? It happens to me,but only when I view on my phone.
If it helps,I'm on Firefox,no issues at all...and a 19" monitor.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ski Guide, for someone who is using the forum without subscription,pimping away through your signature, and ignoring the correct advice of fellow snowheads, methinks you do protest too much.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ski Guide wrote:

1. For SnowHeads to remain wholly free-of-charge, you and everyone should encourage, not discourage, the adverts. Adverts are an advantage.

2. SnowHeads urgently needs to upgrade the formatting and positioning of its adverts. The adverts look good and informative, and the advertisers are of high quality, but the actual adverts are currently poorly positioned and viewer-unfriendly, in my opinion. If SnowHeads wants to attract more users and more advertisers, it will need to improve the advertising experience, in my view. The sooner they action this and get it sorted, the better for everyone.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles, +1
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Whitegold, I've no problem on my desktop or notebooks but they are downright annoying on my iPhone
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
Ski Guide, for someone who is using the forum without subscription,pimping away through your signature, and ignoring the correct advice of fellow snowheads, methinks you do protest to much.

+1
Ski Guide pay up for your advertising, nothing in life is for free. Do you think snowheads just appears with no costs involved?
If I were Admin the sites owner, I would be sending you an invoice for the advertising you have been doing on his site for Peak Times!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 31-01-12 23:29; edited 2 times in total
latest report
bertie bassett, Thanks for that, I've been trying to get that sorted for a while Very Happy
latest report
achilles wrote:
Ski Guide, for someone who is using the forum without subscription, .

dude

i thought there was no subscription on snowheads ?

ok bye
ski holidays
Voice of Treason, If you pay the subscription there are no ads and you get a nice superior feeling Twisted Evil
snow report
Voice of Treason wrote:
i thought there was no subscription on snowheads ?

Dude

Free subscription...or
Free of ads
= Freedom of choice

But a free lunch?
snow report
Id never noticed the little - icon Very Happy
snow report
snowskisnow, You are a noble Snowhead. Some of the less enlightened Snowheads make an active choice not to support the wider aspects of Snowheads, but that is their choice. As Boredsurfing, alluded, you are able to sleep content that you've help make it possible for Ski Guide, and others to enjoy the camaraderie of Snowheads without ever having to think about paying or making a contribution. Maybe as Ski Guide has now seen the light and reaped the benefits of his free advertising he will do the same Embarassed
snow report
Jivebaby wrote:
Whitegold, I've no problem on my desktop or notebooks but they are downright annoying on my iPhone

Jivebaby, Generally, it seems, in my experience, the smaller the screen, the worse the problem.
ski holidays
I thought it annoying too until I found the close button. Didn't mind the advertising simply that it was blocking post info. Close found and all is good with the world and Snowheads snowHead

On Android phone the close is easy to use even on the comparatively small screen so no complaints, if it keeps the site free all to the good! Must just be there to curse iPhone sorts Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Just stump up some cash Smile
snow report
I....I....never....thought...I'd....say...this,...but...

Whitegold +1

Shocked

That's it, I'm going for a lie down...

(Frankly, the ads suck on an iPhone - sufficiently that I've had to stop using my iPhone to access the forum. You close the ad and it randomly reappears. And it reappears if you press start entering a reply to a post or hit "quote".)
snow report
Happy to have adds but the viewing experience is awful on an iPhone. Add appears and blocks the entire screen. Zoom zoom zoom, scroll scroll scrool, click, pops didn't quite get the super tiny remove button so new window is opening and taking me to the advertised website. Close that. Back to snowheads. Zoom in some more. Click on the close button successfully. Zoom back out. Scroll scroll scroll. Continues reading.

There is no need to totally destroy the viewing experience for those on mobiles!
latest report
Boredsurfing wrote:
Voice of Treason, If you pay the subscription there are no ads and you get a nice superior feeling Twisted Evil
et al

dudes

i thought snowheads was the land of the free
originating from the ashes of 'pay to view' SCGB forum
but donatiations were encouraged
because the site costs doshdoolies to run

so

has donatiations now formally changed to subscriptiations ?
or was 'subscription' a slip of the tongue

ok bye
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kat.ryb, Agreed 100%

I class the advertisers as irritants and will now go out of my way to avoid ever purchasing their products and services. As far as I am concerned, their advertising has had the opposite effect.
latest report
What ads? Little Angel Little Angel

Seriously though Ski Guide, you have a bold signature in red and underlined advertising your business that I can't turn off and you pay nothing towards keeping snowHeads running. And then you complain and say you're incensed about the adverts! Madeye-Smiley

Pay a donation and then you can have them all turned off. How hard is that? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
The adverts look good and informative, and the advertisers are of high quality

dudes

so who uses them
are they useful
or are some duffer fillers
fair play to ad(kershing)min
all are spot on topic
and all snow related

ok bye

sweetspot ski trainer
dogtag
eyewear outlet
action outdoors
the big (snow?) festival (can not read pink text)
ski shuttle
ski sainte foy
neilson
edge & wax / whitedot
inghams
ski weekends
andora resorts
apex
latest report
Surely there is a win win situation here?

My lap top is a PITA in that I involuntary somehow keep changing the screen size (dont know how to describe that) so that the ads covered the right hand side of posts so i couldnt even make sense of the posts. Thankfully I can see how to close it now. But surely the advertising doesnt need to be that crude?
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, the problem is that the snowheads site is held together with duct tape, which admin slaps on from time to time when he has a moment to spare. The forum s based on an obsolete version of phpBB, but it has lots of nice bells and whistles both front of house and behind the scenes. It would be an enormous job to translate these to the new version, so for the foreseeable future an 'upgrade' won't happen. By and large, it works fairly well, but dropping the adverts in has caused problems for small screens. Maybe that will be resolved one day - meantime clicking the '-' symbol seems to work for most. All slightly non-mainstream, and so somehow in keeping with the ethos of sH, IMV.
ski holidays
I'm a subscriber and I still keep the adverts switched on. I cannot understand what all the fuss is about. Although I can appreciate that it is annoying on a device with a smaller resolution. On my laptop or desktop the adverts are unobtrusive.

Some of the companies advertising are offering a discount to snowheads. This is great for everyone involved and, given that there is plenty of competition for my money out there as it is, I will check out someones website if they offer a snowheads discount.

In any case I see an advert for insurance and I get timely reminder about booking mine. I then use the link as a starting point.
snow conditions
achilles, Lenghty explaination that, when surely the answer is, if you dont like the advertising simply contribute to the sites costs!
ski holidays
Here's an even lengthier explanation that boils down to pretty much the same Wink

Thanks for your attempt at an explanation achilles but the positioning and function of the ads is deliberate and has nothing to do with what version of phpBB we run. Further, the decision not to go to phpBB3 was centred around the fact that people like the way snowHeads functions as it is and that this particular 'upgrade' is not actually an upgrade but a complete replacement of all the code. Hence, it would take months of work, simply to make the site function as it does now, then leaving me with a system, the detail of which I was unfamiliar with, the mods were unfamiliar with and the users were unfamiliar with and would grump about - so what's the point?

snowHeads is being upgraded, all the time. No, we don't 'Launch the new snowHeads site' every Winter but why would we when it already works? Slowly, new functions and features appear, integrated with what snowHeads already know.
Often new functionality subtly improves the user-experience in ways that are not immediately obvious.
As a simple example: anyone who has been here regularly over a period of more than 12 months will, at some point, have seen a 'significant rise in spammers'. They make a nuisance of themselves for a while and then, hey whatdya know, they're gone again. Did they just get bored? Did they take up mountain bike-spamming instead? No, they're still there, battering at our front door - it's just that after various customisations to the login process, very few are getting through at the moment. They'll upgrade their methods at some point and I'll upgrade our defences again too. Everything from under-the-hood performance improvements to 'obvious' new features like the ignore function: changes are happening all the time Madeye-Smiley eg. Last night the Username, at the top of the box where user-ignore is, became a link to the user's profile. Hardly a big deal in itself: just another small step in a forward direction.

Ski Guide, the ad sits to the right of the forum content until that content is too wide to allow it, then the ad overlaps it. The width of the content block, and whether the ad needs to overlap it, is determined by the content posted versus the size of your browser window. In the case of this topic, the delimiter is the length of the topic title U have chosen. Shorter title = narrower block + less overlaps on smaller screens. So, your fault after all! Wink
Often, when a topic is wider than normal, the width is dictated by a picture being posted or a long URL.

As has been pointed out numerous times, THERE IS A BUTTON TO SHRINK THE AD - so U have the choice if U can be bothered to a) read the advice people are giving you and b) follow it.
Further, since the ad is only 120 pixels wide, very soon after it overlaps content, a scroll bar would appear anyway because the content would be too wide for the page. I suppose that's frustrating too eh? Next topic: "Is anyone else getting as frustrated as me with having to scroll Snowheads pages when I post an image that's too big for my own screen!!!!!!"

If U subscribe, as little as £5/month or £25/year allows you to switch off the ads entirely and get loads of other benefits too. Your choice!

And, if you're really determined to get it all for free, as Lizzard and RobW have pointed out, there are all sorts of easy ways to 'cheat' the system and neither subscribe nor display adverts so U really can bask in the smug glow of knowing that you're advertising your company completely for free on the back of other people's support for the site. What mugs they all are eh? rolling eyes

PBJ, as a super/mega-snowHead you have the option to turn off ads altogether if they're bothering U.
Top left: User facilities => personal profile (near the bottom of the page)

Whitegold all that considered, I honestly can't see how the ads could be less intrusive without displaying them off-screen altogether. Yes, I know snowHeads is not great on many small mobile devices but aside from that, if you have any constructive views on the subject I'd welcome a PM.

With specific regard to iSsues:
After becoming aware of problems that some of our fatter-fingered friends were having shrinking the ads on their iThings, I increased the size of the shrink button. I don't belong to the iCult myself so have no iThingy to test it on but I did check it out on a couple of Android devices where it seemed fine and also received one or two messages along the lines of "Thanks! sent from my iSomething" so think it fair to assume the change was effective.

I do however, often get empty emails from iUsers to our 'Help me' address, some of whom were aware they'd sent them but many weren't. I guess it's some iNterface problem or maybe it's a PICNIC error specific to that class of user Confused
Anyway, isn't it the Apple policy to discourage the use of their iDevices to view websites, in favour of their licensed bespoke apps? Toofy Grin
And no, we don't have a snowHeads app - just a website rolling eyes

Yes, I would like snowHeads to work better on mobile devices generally but it's a lot of work to adapt it fully and there's a lot of other stuff to do too - all the time! Meanwhile there is a version that works better on mobiles although, I know, it's hardly perfect.
Had every registered user put a fiver in the pot each year since we began, we'd be larfin': I'd have people permanently 'on staff' to do work like that but as it is, a devoted core provide some support while the vast majority [hopefully] click on ads now and then and a few just bitch about how the free service they get isn't good enough for them rolling eyes
Ironically, it's the funds coming in from ads that look most likely to be able support the development of such new user functionality.
latest report
My biggest problem is how the forum doesn't automatically resize photos to the width of your screen so you can end up with the screen stretching off miles to the right after someone has decided to embed an enormous image...

But it's fairly small really given it's a free site and all that.
ski holidays
Like skiing, snowHeads is A Very Good Thing in a World of Pain, Hurt and General Shoite.

Nurture it, feed it ( if you can afford to ski/ride, you can afford a fiver), appreciate it.

I feel a snowHeads Desiderata coming on...

"Go quietly amid the boarders and Russians.
ski holidays
I'm on a 19" widescreen monitor and don't have any problems. Completely fair to have adverts if they keep the site running.
snow report
admin, I have another small bitch (not a pet) with my iPhone use of Snowheads inasmuch as I've not managed to stay logged on permanently for any length of time - is there a workaround or user set of keystrokes that even a bad skier like me can use please? snowHead

AND this usually manifests itself when I click on an email altert for a topic that I'm following. Will the sh/mobile page launch or will it/should it just swerve back to the sh.com standard edition?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy