Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hokkaido, Japan 2011/2012

Poster: A snowHead
Neilski wrote:
kitenski, probably twice what i would budget in austria , so in round terms of lunch and dinner out and about plus beer tokens about 15000 yen/£125 pppd inc incidentals ???

on the guiding front , i am definatly going to do a couple of guided backcountry days to get away from the madding crowds, suppose it depends on when you are there , if at peak time think things would get tracked out quickly, but if quiet then i reckon if the snow is falling then fresh tracks will be avialable striaght off the lifts all day without to much hassle.although i allways think local knowledge can save a lot of wasted time if youve never been before.

when you going out ???

I'm out the end of Jan...counting the days and waxing the fat skis Wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A very good day in Niseko today. Started off with a run out of gate 4 which was knee deep and creamy then spent most out of the day in the Miharashi trees. Some pics:

Joe at the bottom of the run out of Gate 4

The snowy St. Bernard at the bottom of Hanozono

Lunch at Boyo So

Me in the Miharashi trees
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski, Fatter the better,!!!! are you there for chinese new year , if so could be busy so maybe worth look at some guiding options just in case snowHead shall look forward to a great trip report Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great pics thebongolian

Today should be rather good Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mike Pow, indeed though I'll be digging snow pits and doing beacon searches somewhere near Moiwa Sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Neilski wrote:
kitenski, Fatter the better,!!!! are you there for chinese new year , if so could be busy so maybe worth look at some guiding options just in case snowHead shall look forward to a great trip report Very Happy

First day skiing is 31st so hopefully died down after cny!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thebongolian wrote:
Mike Pow, indeed though I'll be digging snow pits and doing beacon searches somewhere near Moiwa Sad

With Black Diamond Lodge?

How was it?

Conditions were fantastic in Grand Hirafu.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mike Pow, Chuck from Hokkaido Powder Guides not Black Diamond. Found it really useful.

Conditions at Moiwa were fantastic too: waist deep just outside gate 6 - really nice and not many tracks - just our snow pits. The few turns I did get were over-the-head.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Back at work now, watching snow pounding down outside. The nighta yesterday in Hirafu was awesome, lap after lap of blower pow.

Back to Niseko Thursday evening, hopefully early enough to catch the nighta, and Friday. Then Asahikawa area again this coming weekend. Forecast is for snow every day through this week!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Second day of the avalanche course today was a tour up Nitonupuri. Beautiful birch clad hills and deep snow. Windy and bloody cold though. A few photos from today and yesterday:

Buried deep in the Moiwa car park

Lunch

Ready to climb Nitonupuri

Did anyone mention that there's lots of snow in Niseko?

Skinning up
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thebongolian, pics appear broken to me????
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
aaaaarrrrrgghhh i'm sooooo excited!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski, you probably don't want to see them anyway...will only make you jealous wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great pics, great area
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just leaving work now to head down to Niseko. Anyone gonna be nightskiing tonight? Will be at Hirafu, yellow pants, red jacket, white helmet, Black Diamond skis, English accent (!) Say hi if you see me! (My name's Andy)
ski holidays
MagSeven, legs buggered from this morning's skiing so won't be out tonight. What are your plans for tomorrow.
snow conditions
Another 20cm or so this morning. Upper lifts were shut so headed for Hanozono, the waterfall gate then Miharashi before boosting my nutrition at the Niseko Village Hilton buffet.

Mike Pow, I need to get some skis waxed - do you have any reccomendations on who does a good service?
snow conditions
Hi everybody. I'm heading to annapuri in a week or so with my girlfriend, and I'm struggling to arrange everything for our trip. Does anyone have any tips info on good ski hire / lift pass promos? Thanks.
latest report
Wow, good nighta!! Ran into Eric Pollard, Chris Bentchetler, Andy Mahre and Pep Fujas! Just another day in Niseko!

I'm riding all day tomorrow at Niseko, gonna get an all day all area pass and see whats good. Fancy taking a few runs? Drop me a pm!
snow conditions
Should be a cracker tomorrow.

Absolutely nuking down as I type.

thebongolian try Joel at NBS in Alpen Ridge
snow conditions
Mike Pow, enjoy it!
latest report
Sweet day in Niseko. Snowing heavily at times - almost enough to fill in tracks between each lap. Hit the peak for faceshots all the way down to cat track. Some good runs off Hanozono 3. Then headed over to get my ticket for Mizuno to Sawa which was amazing despite having to go at the patroller's pace.
ski holidays
I thought it was snowing heavily in Niseko, till I got home this evening! So much snow here, up to second floor windows. Railways stopped running (very rare for Japan!), expressway closed. I swear if we had a decent sized mountain here, we'd blow Niseko out the water!

Have really enjoyed riding Niseko this week. My buddy ended up riding with a random group of American telemarkers, who subsequently turned out to be the Sweetgrass crew, who made the excellent Signatures film in Hokkaido a couple of years ago. So it's been quite a pro-ho couple of days. I'm very proud to say I GNAR called out Eric Pollard etc last night with "I can't believe you're pros, I'm so much better than you"

So back to Asahikawa tomorrow for Kamui, then Asahidake for a couple of days. Should be really really good, although cold, but hopefully not too windy. Will try and get some photos.
snow report
MagSeven wrote:
I'm very proud to say I GNAR called out Eric Pollard etc last night with "I can't believe you're pros, I'm so much better than you"

Laughing Good work
ski holidays
182cm of snow in 2 days in my town. It made the national news. I never ever thought I'd say this, but I want it to stop snowing! My car's in a random school carpark as I can't get in to my apartment's carpark. Snowbanks at the side of the roads are 3 metres plus!

Riding at Kamui and Asahidake this weekend was really really good, especially Kamui. Will add some pictures to this post tomorrow.
ski holidays
In case anyone's been wondering it's been steadily snowing for the last 4 days days in Niseko. No huge dumps but steady accumulations of 15-20cm everyday. Strong winds at times and the upper lifts haven't always opened - that does mean the snow has drifted more deeply in places. Basically it's been rather pleasant but not epic.

Routine has been getting first lift the hitting Miharashi, Strawberry Fields or Gate 5 for a few laps, find a hit or two to take photos on then heading over to Mizuno no Sawa for a lovely run through the avalanche control zone under the watchful eye of the patrollers. Broke the routine yesterday by taking a tour with Black Diamond up Shiribetsu-dake. Hard work going up - Whitedot Redeemers and Marker Barons aren't really touring skis... - but amazing turns in deep, cold, untracked powder on the way down. We didn't stop for photos.

Me dropping in Strawberry Fields

James sending it near Miharashi

Joey in Mizuno no Sawa

Skinning up Shiribetsu-dake
ski holidays
thebongolian, nice pics! How much was the guiding if you don't mind me asking?

Leaving the UK in t minus 13 days!!
snow conditions
Looks good thebongolian. I will be there from 28th January with my WD Redeemers too. Hopefully I will get to put them to good use. Very Happy

kitenski, I believe we may be skiing together? You going with rob@rar?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Touchguru wrote:

yup! I have skins and Dukes, but don't think Rob does (unless we get him down to the shops!) ..... hence wondering about packing my skins or not!!!
ski holidays
kitenski, it was just over ¥10,000 for the day.

Touchguru, you're coming to the right place for the Redeemers. So far they've proved to be a practical day-to-day ski for conditions here. Which says it all really in terms of the snow hereabouts...
snow conditions
thebongolian, cheers, is that per person per day??
snow conditions
kitenski, yep that was per person per day. Depending on your skills you can do a lot round here without a guide I reckon, particularly if you have wheels.
ski holidays
thebongolian, cheers, that is the dilemma, to guide or not....we won't have wheels though....
snow report
kitenski, what do you want to do while you're over here? Any particular objectives?
snow conditions
thebongolian, ski lots of powder without breaking the bank basically
latest report
kitenski wrote:
Touchguru wrote:

yup! I have skins and Dukes, but don't think Rob does (unless we get him down to the shops!) ..... hence wondering about packing my skins or not!!!

I don't have skins for my Redeemers either. Have them setup for my Mantras but I won't be bringing those with me! Very Happy
ski holidays
thebongolian wrote:
Touchguru, you're coming to the right place for the Redeemers. So far they've proved to be a practical day-to-day ski for conditions here. Which says it all really in terms of the snow hereabouts...

Great to know!! Smile
latest report
Touchguru, You need to split your skins! Thats what I did, simply cutting a line down the middle, now they fit my 90mm and 112mm wide skis Smile
latest report
Few photos from this weekend. Kamui Ski Links, really great snow Saturday and Sunday, probablt the best weekend of the season so far. These three from the backside close to chair 5.

My mate from the UK making the most of his last few days in Hokkaido
IMG_0528

My head and arm
IMG_0543

Hucking myself into the pow!
flat3

Then, Asahidake today, didn't take many pics. Snow was good, but maybe not as deep as at Kamui.

Shot from the ropeway, Loaded trees
IMG_1422

Not many people there!
IMG_0556

Then back home this evening. Walking to my apartment after having to park the car elsewhere. Huge walls either side of the pavement
IMG_0560

And the snow surrounding our doorway
IMG_1430
snow conditions
kitenski, if it's been snowing you won't need a guide. If there's been a few days off it could be helpful to get to some more out of the way places or quieter resorts.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy