Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hokkaido, Japan 2011/2012

Poster: A snowHead
Let's get this fired up for the 2011/2012 season in Hokkaido. The first snow fell up on Asahidake last night!

dake

It'll be a while before we have regular snow updates, but it's nice to see winter is on its way!

Looks like quite a few Snowheads are heading out here this year, lets hope for another amazing winter!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very Happy and not even going there this year, save some of it till 2013
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Excellent.

Keep 'em coming please.

Hitting the island just after Boxing Day this year
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nice Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

be there feb 2012 snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No snow yet on Yotei. We went down there this weekend and hiked it in beautiful weather.

IMG_1029

Also went up to Hirafu, which was quite the ghost town at this time of year! This picture will look rather different in a few months!

IMG_0022
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
MagSeven, nice off-season photos.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snow up on Yotei last night.

Feeling very autumnal everywhere now.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yotei this morning
yotei
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As you're having an unseasonably warm spell in the UK, we're having an unseasonably cold spell here in Hokkaido. Last night there was snow all over Daisetsuzan, and on many of the mountains around Sapporo. This photo is from a traffic cam on Nakayama Touge, a pass between Sapporo and Rusutsu. (It has a small ski area at the top which is usually the first hill to open each winter)

nakayama

Then early this morning, snow was falling down to almost sea level in many places. This is from a friend close to Asahikawa

taki

Forecast is for it to remain cold for a couple of days before we get back to normal temperatures. Most of this snow won't stick around for long, but hopefully at the tops of the mountains it'll be a start for the winter.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Great view from the balcony this morning of the hills behind Sapporo
IMG_2579
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snow across the ranges all over Hokkaido nowadays - even some down in Nagano when I was there a week ago... Time to dust off the gear and start getting fit!

This season in Japan will rock! Many of the non-skiing Hong Kong types will stay away so nowhere's going to be crowded at all... plus there's deals going with everyone at the moment so you can get some great accomm specials anywhere you want to go.

Mountains of pow? Fewer people? Better rates? What's not to love ?!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not really much cover other than on the big boys up in Taisetsuzan and a few patches elsewhere. There have been occasional flurries around the place, but any snow usually melts within a few hours once the sun hits it. Most of the mountains are a gorgeous red/orange as the leaves are all changing colour. A beautiful season!

'Yuki mushi' (snow bugs, tiny white flies that look like snowflakes) are all over the place, they're said to signal that the snow is just around the corner!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not alot to report from the past week or so other than the lovely weather. The odd flurry here and there, but nothing significant. The temps are still too high for anything to stick around.

Kurodake is scheduled to open next weekend, but that isn't going to happen - look at the picture below!

Nothing to get too concerned about, it seems ski areas are overly optimistic with their advertised opening dates here. (although last year a rogue snowstorm allowed Nakayama Touge to open for Halloween weekend)

Sunny weather forecast for this week, but temperatures are dropping daily. Will update more as soon as there's any decent snowfall.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How is snow in Japan around New Year usually?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MagSeven, quick question, do you know if the Mammut Pro Shop n Hokkaido is selling the Mammut Snowpulse airbags???
snow conditions
Timmaah wrote:
How is snow in Japan around New Year usually?

On Hokkaido it's normally rock 'n roll.
snow conditions
Snowing now in Sapporo, forecast is for 20cm on the mountains with a few cm on the Pacific coast plains, yeah! snowHead
snow conditions
... sounds like it should be just about ready when I arrive on the 1st Dec Very Happy
snow conditions
I'm in a good mood this morning! Pulled back my curtains to see this:

IMG_1138

It was around 10cm on the car. Will no doubt be more in the mountains. More forecast through the week, with a warm burst Saturday, but back in business Sunday onwards:

forecast

Down in Niseko, this is the Hirafu cam:

niseko

And this is Nakayama Touge, where I'm hoping to get the first turns of the winter in this weekend:

naka

livetoski, Don't know off hand, but will certainly be in Sapporo over the next couple of weeks, so can check for you.
Timmaah, as Mike said, you'll likely have pow, although there may still be sasa leaves poking through, depends on how much falls through December
ski holidays
Looking promising can't wait to get out there in Jan.
latest report
great news, reckon this will hang around for a start of a decent base??
snow report
Continued to snow on and off yesterday. Has been heavy through the early morning, the pic below shows over 15cm on the car that fell between about 1am and 6am.

IMG_1139

We're at about 50m above sea level here, so the mountains should be doing very well. For the 24 hours, the forecast looks nice:

forecast

Up high, this'll be the start of the base. Down here, it may stick around, but who knows how December will pan out.

I'm going to finish work at lunch tomorrow to go for a little adventure up one of the local hills! Very Happy
snow report
from Clayton at BDL in Niseko this morning.

Going green already...
ski holidays
Some locals got first tracks in Niseko this morning!
snow report
Pics here http://360niseko.com/blog/niseko-first-tracks-2011/
ski holidays
Happy
snow report
way to get after it Glen & co Smile
snow report
febuary is going to take a long time coming Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Even more snow came down last night. Was a mission to get the car out, as our appartment's drive only gets plowed Dec-March! Probably around 25-30cm. I hiked one of the local ski hills a few times, and although the snow was a little heavy, it was still knee deep and very enjoyable skiing.

Looking very wintery
IMG_1142

The hike to the top, quite hard work in deep snow.
IMG_1152

Not bad for November 17th
IMG_1155

Ready to go!
IMG_1156

Unfortunately, the temperature has risen this afternoon, and I think we're in for a couple of days of rain. Should be ok higher up, but it'll be miserable down here. Hopefully a return to snow and cold temps by Monday.
snow report
Looks fabulous. Where please?
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
Pics here http://360niseko.com/blog/niseko-first-tracks-2011/

Beautiful! I am unbelievably envious right now.
ski holidays
Some more amazing photos to wake up to! Can't wait to get back to Niseko in january Happy
ski holidays
Mike Pow, at Mikasa, in the hills between Hokkaido Expressway and Lake Katsurazawa.
snow report
MagSeven, great pics Smile Assuming it's melting in the village but sticking around higher up, good base building stuff.....

Wonder when I work out how many days till I'm there Smile
latest report
kitenski, 73 days.
snow report
snowHead Laughing Toofy Grin
ski holidays
kitenski, not that I'm counting or anything. Have a month of skiing between now and then.

But I am getting excited...
ski holidays
Will need to ramp up my shadowing to get my ski legs sorted in Jan I reckon!
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
kitenski, 73 days.

49 Cool
snow conditions
14 Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy