Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

REVIEW: Whitedot Freeride Preacher (And whitedot themselves)

Poster: A snowHead
midgetbiker wrote:
Zero-G, I'm in Chamonix week on week off through March then most of April so we'll def get you on the skis. Which size of Pilgrim do you ski, as the new smaller size of Director is still in pre pre production but we may well have a pair in Cham before you leave.

I'm skiing the shortest Pilgrims (152?), they're almost snowblades, they're so short. So I'll be trying the Preacher in 169. Big jump, I know but with effective edge factored in it won't be too much of a change. I think.

What size will the new, smaller Director be?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
livetoski wrote:
midgetbiker, Purple ones, they look good, I will do a write up on all of them when I get back, I was going to get my son on them all as well but he has just broken his leg, so its a season ender for him. Sad

Yes please do that write up as I'm sure it will be glowing. To the best of my knowledge nobody has yet skied the finished Director and said anything negative. Though this is the real world and it has to come eventually.

I popped a mate on a pair of 'stealth' prototypes for 4 days last week (to test them under the feet of the burly rugger man) and he was a total convert and got his pre order in! It just shows how wide the appeal of those skis is going to be, imo.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zero-G,
Quote:

What size will the new, smaller Director be?

From the info I have that will be 178 with effect edge of 90cm
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zero-G, honestly, i don't think you'll have a problem with the 169, they initiate the turn so easily. Like you say the effective edge is bigger but not that much, and the strong sidecut tip to underfoot makes turning sooo easy. You'll just have to adapt to a bit more weight in the skis, but the payback will be worth it.

168 and i hope I'm not getting myself in trouble saying that in public Shocked
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
livetoski, bug, I probably am getting myself in trouble. I'm talking about the new new even shorter Director that's 'probably' coming out.

But, I didn't say so. OK
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
midgetbiker, wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
midgetbiker wrote:
...You'll just have to adapt to a bit more weight in the skis, but the payback will be worth it.

I could do with more weight, will stop me getting blown off the mountain in moderate wind! Am getting quite excited now*

midgetbiker wrote:
...I'm talking about the new new even shorter Director that's 'probably' coming out. But, I didn't say so. OK

Heh, let's not have a repeat of the "old new, new new" discussion we had some time ago with the_doc [about graphics] Laughing

* skis, snow, mountains, that's all a woman could want.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tried a pair of 190 Redeemers in Italy the other week and they were fantastic in the only 4 turns of soft snow we found: perfectly balanced and very nimble in the trees. A great progressive flex too. Not great conditions for them at all over the rest of the hill but they coped with boilerplate admirably well considering their geometry - even carving, to a point. Much more fun to swarve down at warp speed though snowHead Great skis and can't wait to try the Directors
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

* skis, snow, mountains, that's all a woman could want.

it's the snow bit that is causing some problems this year. Still apparently Chamonix got a dump the day I left (weekend just gone) so evidently my skis have seen alot more pow now than i have this year (note to self: must start locking them in the cellar). Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sharkymark, where in Italy?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
midgetbiker wrote:
stuarth, we have been talking to Canada re distribution and have just sent over a number of sample skis for a soft launch based in the Quebec region. If you send me a PM I am sure we can put you in touch with a chap who will be more than happy to sell you some skis in Canada.

Quebec?? Shocked Big mountain freeride skis??? Shocked I think you need to stay on the plane a bit longer and get yourself over to the West Coast snowHead snowHead

Seriously still considering the Preachers, your guys in the US can get me some, though your chap who covers this area has gone awol somewhere in washington state so can't try some out. The length vs stiffness thing (!) is still something I need to work out so though I can get them mailed from the US and though kindly the Canadian government don't charge import duty on skis for some reason, I'd still like to take a look at them first ideally.
Also you've thrown in a curve ball with the Director Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
midgetbiker, I think I got the last of the good snow around 26 Dec and had a thigh-deep powder day. When I went back at the beginning of Feb, it hadn't snowed in the interim but the conditions were still quite good.

Boilerplate is the new snow, don't you know wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
26th of Dec I was in Chamonix. In bed with the swine flu (a present from the family Dot.).

So don't rub it in Mad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Quebec?? Big mountain freeride skis???

I don't think he's focussing on the Redeemer or Ragnarok Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stuarth, PM Dot. and tap into his encyclopedic knowledge of every ski on the market and it's comparative features raltive to the Whitedot range. Seriously the man knows............well everything.
ski holidays
He clearly doesn't know how to stop the spread of a virus!
latest report
midgetbiker,
Just to check who I've already spoken to (trying to match names to snowheads Happy), is Mark on here?

Seriously though, you seem to have a range of pretty much ideal West Coast skis, so it would be great if you had more of a presence here. Pretty much everyone I ski with is now on what a while back would have been classed as big mountain skis of some variety.
I felt positively inadequate so to speak a few weeks back in a powder day line-up with a mere 96mm of girth!! (Fortunately the lifestyle here has resulted in reduced girth for me too Happy)
ski holidays
stuarth, Nope, you won't find Mark on here but there are three of Whitedot's owners who are regular posters, the doc, myself & Dot. (who founded Whitedot). Both the doc and Dot. have tech knowledge beyond mine (though each day i grow wiser).
snow report
stuarth, I've got both Redeemers and Preachers and think the Director looks like the spec I'd identified as the ultimate one ski quiver.

Preacher is a beefy trad ski with a touch of euro carver, Redeemer is a fresh snow pivot machine which would be great in CBC trees, Khybers etc. I'd guess the Director will fit into the slot with all the rocker benefits but a bit less tiring on rainpack etc.
snow conditions
fatbob,
So you're suggesting I need to get Redeemers, Preachers, and Directors?... snowHead
latest report
Nope but I'm sure you could use them all at WB quite happily without many regrets. For pure pow - Redeemer, for everyday west coast use depends on how much you buy into the rocker revolution and how you feel about shorter effective edge on hardpack.
latest report
fatbob wrote:
I've got both Redeemers and Preachers and think the Director looks like the spec I'd identified as the ultimate one ski quiver.

Hmmm, food for thought. While I understand the mechanics behind turning a rockered skin (i.e. the shape means it's already part of the way in the shape of a standard carver under downward pressure in a turn), I still thought it was, primarily, an off piste ski. Have I got that wrong?
ski holidays
midgetbiker wrote:

The Dolomites - near Corvara.
latest report
TallTone wrote:
midgetbiker wrote:

The Dolomites - near Corvara.

Were these demo skis, or just sourced off a mate? If demo skis then how in the Dolomites? It's all good, I'm just curious.
snow conditions
midgetbiker, I think they belonged to stoatsbrother. I know they were fatter than Sharkymark - there's a pic somewhere Smile
ski holidays
Zero-G, my OH skis the 179 Preacher, up from a 168 Volkl Mantra if that's any use to you in comparison. (see my post earlier in this thread) She took to them very easily having worried that she should've been on 169s. I'm not sure the Mantras have seen daylight since.

I too will be in Cham for 6 weeks from 4/3 . . .

midgetbiker, do you ever look at your phone?!
ski holidays
TallTone, Here you go...

latest report
stuarth, Are you on skype. My skype is whitedotfreeride. Give me a call. I have some options for you.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
midgetbiker, as TT said snowHead

I think we're taking some out to Serre Che for the Off-Piste Bash too so another go on 'em in a week and a half snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
Sharkymark, hopefully you'll get some more suitable conditions for 'em!
snow report
Dot. wrote:
stuarth, Are you on skype. My skype is whitedotfreeride. Give me a call. I have some options for you.

Will do.
snow report
Yep - them's my planks. just be grateful you can't see what sharky is doing to the bases... Wink

Surprisingly agile on piste.

However their main use appears to be to prevent decent snow falling...

January trip to Engelberg - lousy snow conditions previous 4 weeks - leave them behind - big dump and tons of powder for 8 days...

so I took them to the Dolomites on the S7BB... and beautiful pisted snow everywhere with only a little soft stuff in the trees...

So I didn't take them to Wengen last week where the snow had been rubbish for a month... so it dumped really nicely... Grrrr Twisted Evil

Never mind - probably I'll take them to Alta in December. Had 200cm in 6 days last time we went.
ski holidays
BREAKING NEWS - Late start to 2011/12 season. No significant snowfall expected in the Alta region until January 2012.

Twisted Evil
snow report
TallTone, Laughing Laughing
latest report
Zero-G wrote:
fatbob wrote:
I've got both Redeemers and Preachers and think the Director looks like the spec I'd identified as the ultimate one ski quiver.

Hmmm, food for thought. While I understand the mechanics behind turning a rockered skin (i.e. the shape means it's already part of the way in the shape of a standard carver under downward pressure in a turn), I still thought it was, primarily, an off piste ski. Have I got that wrong?

I don't think you're wrong. There's a bunch or ski companies shilling "marketing rocker" on everything like its the holy grail (step forward K2, Salomon etc) and of course us geeks like it as its something to argue about or claim it has transformed our skiing far more than boring drills (cos they're for squares).

I can see a small benefit in groomers for lets say intermediates who have a problem with tip hooking or turn initiation (and who are never going to satisfy the squares by carving a perfect arc to arc). However there is an obvious trade off in running length which is a factor in stability and the rattle factor as all that mass at the tip is juddered around (the only time a Hellbent gets tips on hard snow is when someone's buttering or nose planting).

But factor in what you want to do , if groomers are something that you view as ok if there is no other option or as a warm up then a 1 ski quiver might be very different to someone who "wants to take piste performance to the backcountry" or other such gibberish. I'm not a rocker veteran but I like my Redeemers and they are a lot more versatile than I thought they'd be. I'm not a purist ('cos that's for squares) and like the pivoty fun you can have. I'm not sure I've got the balls to try them with seriously exposed icy traverses but that's more a reflection on me than their capabilities. So I totally get a scaled down Redeemer which the Director looks like and in fact suggested it in my original Redeemer review somewhere here and think it would compare strongly against say a Gotama which used to be a benchmark ski in that sort of class.

(apologies to any squares out there wink )
snow report
TallTone, You lesser spotted bustard... Evil or Very Mad Laughing
snow report
stoatsbrother, just going on the available facts Little Angel
snow report
stoatsbrother, for the love of god, keep your Reedeemers away from Chamonix until mid-May!

fatbob, thanks for the info, much to think about. I'm a 'get the technique right, then play with the tools' kinda woman, but that doesn't mean I'm averse to trying innovative tools just because they're new and people don't think they're pure for the sport. I think I'll have a play with at least 3 of the WDF models over the coming months. Ultimately, I'm not limiting myself to a one ski quiver (with the caveat that I never have, nor probably never will, own pure piste skis).
ski holidays
Zero-G wrote:
(with the caveat that I never have, nor probably never will, own pure piste skis).

I like my fat skis but you are definitely missing out!!
snow report
Quote:

midgetbiker, do you ever look at your phone?!

Not when ther is an 'r' in the month.

so sorry - no, I'm back in UK and next out on the 11th for a week (ie the lads weekend).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy