Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

REVIEW: Whitedot Freeride Preacher (And whitedot themselves)

Poster: A snowHead
OK, so i've never actually written a ski review before but have recently bought these and feel compelled to tell anyone who'll listen all about them so bear with me.

I bought the 189cm Whitedot preacher as i was looking for a powder ski after spending last season pushing further and further from teh beaten track. i've previously owned a pair of Salomon Aero GT+'s and still own 179cm K2 Public enemy's.

Initially i was torn as to whether to go as long as the 189cm as i was worried they'd be too much to me but after a bit of advice on here and on Whitedot's facebook page i manned up and went for it.

I ordered pre-season and as the season neared i received news that Whitedot had had a small manufacturing delay. This delay lead into Late november and as i had plans for an early december trip i started to sweat a bit. i e-mailed Whitedot and explined what my deadline was and that i was getting a bit worried about whether i'd have time to mount them up before my trip. I received an e-mail back offering to mount them for me (As i was buying the bindings from them as well) which i thought was excellent so i readily agreed and just 2 days before i left i received a very big box from whitedot. On taking the ski's out i had already noticed a bit of damage to the box and on pulling the ski's out my excitement was well and truly crushed when i noticed damage to one of the side-walls of the ski. Evidently UPS had been throwing them about a bit. It was probably just cosmetic but i was worried that it was the kinda thing that over the years would let water in and destroy the ski.
I called Whitedot and spoke directly to one of the company owners, and the man who'd drilled and packed my ski's, he was as disappointed as i was and we discussed a few options. It was clear that they weren't going to be able to get me a new pair before i went away and i immediately thought my first week on teh preachers was blown. After 10 minutes to think about it Carl at Whitedot phoned me back and made an offer that i have no doubt a larger ski manufacturer would choke on their jagermeister at. Carl explained that "If it was ok with me" i could take the damaged ski's away and ski them for teh week and on my return they would ship me a brand new pair. I was astounded. I was basically being given a free rental for the week and on my return a brand new pair.

So to the ski. On arrival in Saas Fee the off-piste was well off limits with windblown breaking crust everywhere so i had to run them in on the groomers. My first few runs seemed to kick me slightly onto the tails and it took me that first couple to realise that to get the best out of them an aggressive forward stance was much more remarding. Although teh Preacher is 112 under foot it does have a standard camber and as a result carving is technically possible i thought. Well in reality it is not only possible, but intuitive and very very rewarding. It does take a little more technique than a dedicated piste ski howver when you lay the preacher on edge and engage that big tip then the speed at which it engages and turns in is truly outstanding.
At first the ski demands a lot from you, it demands you keep forward, it demands you keep your technique pretty spot on but when you do it rewards you in spades. The ski accelerates out of the carve and yet when you want to throw in a few short turns the speed and ease at which the ski will pivot is amazing. A number of times friends of mine in the resort would make jokes about how they thought i'd never be able to turn a ski that size however when they saw me on the piste almost all of them remarked on how impressed they were with how quick the ski was from edge to edge for the size of it. On piste, a hit, a real hit, i never put my K2's on all week.

Day 5 we finally got some fresh and i was able to take the preachers into the pow where i really wanted to play with them. Ok it was a white-out with all skiing done more from feel and memory of the terrain so speed's were kept low but they felt good. Not as much float as i'd expected but this was because of the enforced lower speeds. Stable in what was still mixed conditions and seemed to smash through the remaining crud with ease.

Day 6 and it cleared to a lovely pow day. First run through the tree's on the wide (skiers) left of Platjen for those of you who know saas fee. This is a steep demanding tree run in which you need to be able to turn quickly and precisely lest you'll find yourself with a face full of wood. OUTSTANDING. The preacher despatched it with ease. The big tip gave tons of float and the camber gives a real rebound out of the turn. Further adventures in Platjens tree's had me grinning like an idiot and every now and again one of those embarrasing little woop's seemed to slip out. Further up the mountain i found some wider more open powder and the preacher just went from strength to strength. VERY VERY VERY good day.

I've since done another week and a half on the new preachers which have since arrrived to replace the damaged ones. Again yteh lack of pow was frustrating but i still felt no need to return to my other ski's and am happily ripping up the piste on the preacher. I've even taken them into park and pipe and been happy with what they give.

Only area's where they struggle. Ice, the ski is just a bit to big for this and you can feel a slight torsional reverberation similiar to what you get on a snowboard in the same conditions although as they ship with a 3 degree edge you can still get enough purchase to keep it in control. Bumps, actually, to be fair, i'm just terrible in bumps so this might not actually be true, i found them a bit big for moguls.

Overall, a truly outstanding versatile and rewarding ski whch has me grinning from ear to ear in all conditions. From a company who give that personal touch and really look after their customers. I'm not entirely sure what my next ski's will be but i know one thing, they'll be whitedots.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fastandicy wrote:
Although teh Preacher is 112 under foot it does have a standard camber and as a result carving is technically possible i thought. Well in reality it is not only possible, but intuitive and very very rewarding.

Welcome to the party!

Nice write up, thanks for taking the time to post it. Any pictures of them in action?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fastandicy, thanks for the compliments, i'll let you know how the origonal pair hold up after i give them a bit of hammer over the next two weeks in Chamonix snowHead

Can't wait until a few snowHeads have had the chance to try our next season addition, the Director, as I'm sure you are all going to be really impessed with our new baby.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Can't wait until a few snowHeads have had the chance to try our next season addition, the Director, as I'm sure you are all going to be really impessed with our new baby

Really REALLY want to give them a go.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clarky999, the pre production samples are a bit thin on the ground (2 pairs leaving today for a demo in Utah this weekend if that helps) but I think the aim is to get pairs into the current demo fleets in Scotland, Austria & France once ISPO is over.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fastandicy, I'm halfway through writing a review of my new 189 Preachers (it's harder than you'd think isn't it?!), but having read yours I'm not sure there's anything else I can add - It's pretty much everything I wanted to say and my experiences on the Preachers from day 1 onwards were very very similar to yours. Very Happy

I didn't have your damage related issues, but have no doubt from the service I received and the Whitedot personnel I've met that this is a company that will bend over backwards to help their customers.

I'll have a bit of a think and see if there's anything I can add to your comprehensive thoughts. The only real difference is the relatively (NB. still VERY good fun though) hard packed OP here in Chamonix - on which the Preachers have been nothing but a pleasure.

Truly great skis from a very friendly company. I'm another extremely satisfied customer.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ww166no, Don't let my mindless ramblings put you off mate. Get your write-up on here.

midgetbiker, Can't thank you enough for the level of service mate. I hope i didn't smash up the damaged one's too badly and the araldite holds up. I'm pretty sure it will as the damage didn't seem to deteriorate despite the run-in i gave them. Just checked out the director's, interesting looking, might be too close to the preachers for me though. I'm eying up the one's as a replacement for my destroyed K2's for next season but the Redeemers are also very tempting.

parlor, I'm not really one for the camera til there's a powder day and having had only one on the preachers so far i was far too busy shredding to take pics Happy heading back out again on thursday and we're forecast a little snow early this wek so fingers crossed for some pow time and a few photo's to follow.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ww166no, They are asparagus Green though.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just listed my 189cms Preachers on ebay .....................
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
midgetbiker wrote:
clarky999, the pre production samples are a bit thin on the ground (2 pairs leaving today for a demo in Utah this weekend if that helps) but I think the aim is to get pairs into the current demo fleets in Scotland, Austria & France once ISPO is over.

So might there be a pair somewhere near Innsbruck (Mayrhofen maybe?) in March?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fastandicy wrote:
Just checked out the director's, interesting looking...

Where/how?

SMALLZOOKEEPER don't knock the green, those are some sexy skis!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Zero-G, http://issuu.com/whitedotfreeride/docs/wdf_lookbook_2011-12
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ahhh, I saw purple skis in a pic on the WDF fb page and wondered what they were. Thanks scotia.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I bought and skied the Redeemers for a couple of weeks in Japan in January and I cant put in to words how good they were all over the mountain. Couldnt be happier.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:

Just as good for you AND they don't turn your wee green either . . . . I think! Very Happy
snow report
okay so I 'm going to be needing some new skis soon, and I've just about convinced myself that I _need_ some Preachers so...

- Are they stiff enough. I've been skiing on a succession of Volkls/Atomics that are definitely at the stiffer end of the scale, and demoed some Gotamas a while back that were rather nice and hence high on my list, though I'm not totally convinced by the whole rocker thing and they are a bit softer than my Mantras (and a lot softer than Karmas, though this isn't necessarily a bad thing). I like crud blasters, and really hate flappy skis (Seth Pistols spring to mind)
- Are they tough enough? Volkls seem to incorporate various Tiger Tank left overs (I think the great hunk of metal on top also contributes to the stiffness) and despite my best efforts have so far proved fairly bombproof
- Can I get them in Canada somehow? parlor, are you the Whitedot rep here wink
- What's with the 3 degree default edge? Surely that's one to save for race day?
- Can I get a different colour topsheet if I ask really nicely? wink
snow conditions
Just spent 2 weeks in the alpes with 189 Preachers. No new snow but they went everywhere, even scraped ice and did ok.
There is a learining curve to adjust to but I found they made you pretty cocky and taking on crap snow that you really wouldn't or shouldn't, normally. I tweaked my knee in stuff I would not have dared bother with; this was old mank that had frozen and refrozen time and again but I felt I could make a turn with them. It was a slow forward fall which certain Markers don't cope with very well and that curtailed me for a few days.
On hardpark they have very good manners and you really don't notice the size so no problem using them there if you want to, to get to the better snow. Or you can smear them on very icy pistes and just ride the fast side-slip so they pivot quickly and easily. This was massive fun and was a very quick and easy way to cope with glazed ice at the end of the day pistes.
In deeper snow, the tips are always looking to rise so your only problem is going to be how quickly you want to link the turns.

I think they are a very good all mountain ski, but of course, smaller skis can cope better on hardpark but quite a few will not do as well as this ski. I wouldn't say they couldn't cope at all but the bias is soft snow which they will hover up. I have no doubt I can make this my one-quiver ski and therefore I have already put my others up for sale.

The basses are solid as well so popping a rock isn't the panic it might be, and the ski has a quality feel about it.
I put my Preachers up against my mates new Atomics and the difference was massive in those terms in my opinion and concensus of our group.

Top effort, top ski and no need for rocker.
latest report
stuarth, I was on Volkl's GS racetiger at the end of last season so i also like a ski to have some muscle about it, or more accurately that needs some muscle put into it. The Preacher's have that in spades. They're really nice and stiff underfoot with a nice progressive flex across the length without ever getting near soft at either end. I've got a very good friend in resort who makes a point of criticising every single ski he flexes for being too soft as he ski's on head FIS GS ski's so got a nice warm feeling inside when he grabbed my preachers with his usual sneer before flexing them and just........... going a bit quiet.

My own damage issues are detailed above but to be fair the boz also looked like it had gone a few rounds with the vicious beast of your choice so i'm pretty sure this can be put down to the UBS man doing some work on his career as an amateur Javelin thrower whilst loading the van rather than any build quality issues. The pair that replaced them came via the swiss postal system and, as well as noting the immaculate box this time, they have been through a few rounds with me and still look damn good. Gotta love that green no matter what others say. The ladies love it, and this being valentines day that is VERY important Laughing

The 3 degree edge never feels over-intrusive and just seems to work. I had a 2 degree on my other ski's so it's not that much of a jump. They have a 1 degree base edge so don't feel catchy

As for the canada question. Dunno, sorry.

But why would you want a different coloured topsheet? See my above valentines lesson Laughing
latest report
clarky999 wrote:
midgetbiker wrote:

So might there be a pair somewhere near Innsbruck (Mayrhofen maybe?) in March?

There is the full range based in Mayerhofen, they are being used for press tests 3rd-9th & 10th-13th but you will be able to grab them outside these dates by using the contact from the website for Austria (Paul). PM me if you want his Austrian mobile number.
snow conditions
Zero-G wrote:
fastandicy wrote:
Just checked out the director's, interesting looking...

Where/how?

SMALLZOOKEEPER don't knock the green, those are some sexy skis!

SZK loves them really.

Zero-G the only mounted Directors in Chamonix at the mo are working prototypes mounted with telemark or touring bindings, but I dropped off quite a few pre production pairs last week and so hopefully there will be a pair with alpine demo bindings in Sole Boot Lab before too long.
ski holidays
ww166no wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:

Just as good for you AND they don't turn your wee green either . . . . I think! Very Happy

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
stuarth, we have been talking to Canada re distribution and have just sent over a number of sample skis for a soft launch based in the Quebec region. If you send me a PM I am sure we can put you in touch with a chap who will be more than happy to sell you some skis in Canada.
latest report
midgetbiker wrote:
Zero-G the only mounted Directors in Chamonix at the mo are working prototypes mounted with telemark or touring bindings, but I dropped off quite a few pre production pairs last week and so hopefully there will be a pair with alpine demo bindings in Sole Boot Lab before too long.

I'll be back in Cham in a couple of weeks for a 6-week stint, so plenty of time try out both the Preachers and the Directors Cool This is my third season on Pilgrims and it's time to up my game - the Pilgrims are great but I want something a tad beefier for off piste.
ski holidays
Zero-G, I'm in Chamonix week on week off through March then most of April so we'll def get you on the skis. Which size of Pilgrim do you ski, as the new smaller size of Director is still in pre pre production but we may well have a pair in Cham before you leave.

On another subject i have a cellar full of Icelantics that it's now politically incorrect for me to ski, so do you know any potential takers for some well priced, hardly used (in some cases) Shamans or Pilgrims in bigger sizes?

You're spot on with your interest re the Whitedot models though, my other half moved from Pilgrims, flirted with the Ones, but has plumped for Preachers as her daily ride. But now the Director is on the scene she may be tempted rolling eyes
latest report
midgetbiker, I could be interested if the price is right! Either or both as I could be tempted for the young'un too.
What have you got?
ski holidays
midgetbiker, I'd be interested in some Pilgrims. PM would be gratefully received.
snow report
That Carl sounds a bit dodgey to me Confused

wink
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, yeah i would't trust him wink Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
midgetbiker, could you sort me out with some 190 Redeemers and about 12" of fresh to try them in? May be interested in some longer Shamans too if you have any. Prob be in Cham week of the 26th March Smile
latest report
I've just taken delivery of a pair of 180 Ones. Those of you moaning about the lime green of the Preachers should take a look at the flourescent orange wink

Ah well, at least they match my boots rolling eyes

So, I was on 179 Pilgrims (now sadly wall decorations). Good move, bad move?
latest report
TallTone,

Aren't 180 cm skis for you just snowblades? (based on comments from others that indicated you were about 3m tall)
ski holidays
DB, yeah, but they don't make 'em any longer Sad
snow report
TallTone, they ski pretty short. One of my favourite all round do everything skis.
snow report
I would be interested in some Icelantics - love the Nomad. Send me the details Midgetbiker.
snow report
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
midgetbiker, could you sort me out with some 190 Redeemers and about 12" of fresh to try them in? May be interested in some longer Shamans too if you have any. Prob be in Cham week of the 26th March Smile

Come to Cham on the 26th and we can certainly sort you out with some demo 190's (the 12" of pow may be a problem, but hope springs eternal), my Shamans may be on their way to another, but if you are seriously interested then my mate has a pair that he may part with as he is coveting my Preachers in a big way.
latest report
just picked up a pair of Preachers, Redeemers and the new Directors to try next week in Les Very Happy Very Happy should be fun, I wonder what I will try first?
ski holidays
livetoski, enjoy.
latest report
Are the Directors purple or 'stealth'?
latest report
midgetbiker, Purple ones, they look good, I will do a write up on all of them when I get back, I was going to get my son on them all as well but he has just broken his leg, so its a season ender for him. Sad
latest report
Quote:

when he grabbed my preachers with his usual sneer before flexing them and just........... going a bit quiet.

I love to watch the faces of the youngsters (lads) when they have a test flex of the Ragnaroks Twisted Evil
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy