Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Race training for adults in UK

Poster: A snowHead
beanie1, Cheers, I feel better now. Looking back at my last session at least I have found out my shortcomings and can focus on doing something about it.
I guess once I get the knack of giving those gates a good thrashing I'll maybe have a smile on my face while doing the gates Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rockyrobin, Once you get protection you'll find a lot more confidence. I echo what Beanie1 said - look at the positives, congratulate yourself for those, and don't dwell on negatives. (Thus spake one of the worst in the world for doing just the opposite!) Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
beanie1, rockyrobin, marc gledhill, Did any of you see that rogue pole that jumped right out & ripped my right ski off Shocked
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon, that'll teach you for choosing slalom over giant slalom wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon, that would be the same one that snuck up and took my left ski off on my first run of the evening, I'd bet. Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rockyrobin wrote:
Nice to slide with you again last night. You guys look like your getting the hang of this gate whacking Smile
Sorry I could not spend more time in the gates with you last night but I felt I was skiing them so badly, not ontop of my skis, back seat, scared of the poles, getting confused of which hand to block with, oh my!
Will try harder next week if I can pluck up the courage.

You will find the gates a lot less intimidating if you get some shin guards and something for your hands. Armour
also helps confidence as you soon realize that it hurts less if you fall.

I watched you a fair bit last night, but couldn't really work out what you were doing. I think that was because you
were making relatively long radius turns on 11m skis, so you only needed to make quite subtle movements.

Next week try to make some slightly shorter radius turns outside the gates.

You can't really be very critical of yourself the first time out on a pair of skis though.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski, Thanks for the encouragement. Its right what Beanie1 and yourself say. Skiing can really get you going sometimes. I will try to focus on the positive as i'm in no rush and do want to enjoy myself Smile

spyderjon, You do realise that your meant to go round the poles not through them! Laughing
Seriously though, you looked good on those B5's going round the gates. I admire your persistence with the mid fats. Shame we cannot get you onto some narrower skis mate. I reckon you would have a ball if you can muscle your B5's round the gates.
I hope you did not damage your ski mate? Errrrr, perhaps a daft question - B5 or pole in collision. I wouldn't fancy the poles chances Laughing

rjs, Your right. I'm probably trying to run before I can walk. I'll spend next week trying to tidy up my turns and get to grips with doing really short turns with those new skis before doing the gates again.
I think my main problem is edge pressure control. In the past when i've tried to do short radius turns i've had a nasty habit of trying to rush the turns and ended up skarving them, but in a very jumpy manner and ended up getting defensive in the back seat.
If you wonder what i'm up to please let me know as I probably don't know either, and am just merrily sliding along in my comfort zone Embarassed

Cheers guys Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Who's going tonight?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I will be, Rockyrobin said he would probably be, Spyderjon said he wouldn't be because he was real busy at work, but as he's in Leeds today I think he'll weaken and turn up Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can't make it tonight. Too much work & can't get a pass out.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spyderjon, no snow, no gates, no banter. Ah well. Twisted Evil
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Better change that probably to a definate for me snowHead

Look forward to seeing you guys tonight.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Does anyone know if there's a session on Monday, with it being a bank holiday?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marc gledhill wrote:

There were on the two bank holidays in May.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Down here in the south we start again after our summer break tonight..........
snow conditions
rjs, Good stuff, I'll be turning up then. Cool

ski, SUMMER! We don' get no steenkeen summer up 'ere. It's stair rods at the moment Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
marc gledhill, It was quite nice there for the race last weekend - cloudy when we went in, warm and sunny afterward. Nice slope (shame about my skiing )... Sad
snow report
marc gledhill wrote:

I'll be there. Deb's also coming to christen her new skis.
latest report
spyderjon,
Quote:

Deb's also coming to christen her new skis

Take it that you managed to find some K2's ?
snow report
I'll be there. And my boyfriend's probably coming along to watch.
snow report
beanie1, wow, he's keen wink .

Doesn't he fancy having a go?
snow conditions
He's only done about 2 weeks skiing and last time he dislocated his shoulder. Think he should have a few lessons to get his confidence back before he does any free skiing.
ski holidays
srobbo wrote:
Take it that you managed to find some K2's ?

Yes, Burnin' Luvs in 160cm Sad .

Deb is now banned from all future ski tests wink
snow conditions
I'll be coming along too snowHead

beanie1, Can you not persuade your boyfriend to pop his boots in the car on the off chance he can get some coaching off one of the Lions instructors?
I won't be doing the gates as I have technique issues to work on, so he won't be on his own if you guys are doing the gates.
Seems a shame for a fellow slider to have to watch when he could be having some fun too.

spyderjon, You do realise that if your lady has bought new skis after a ski test its like giving you the green light to do the same Toofy Grin A pair of slalom skis would be a nice addition to your quiver snowHead
snow report
rockyrobin wrote:
spyderjon, You do realise that if your lady has bought new skis after a ski test its like giving you the green light to do the same Toofy Grin A pair of slalom skis would be a nice addition to your quiver snowHead

Are you suggesting that my mega heavy 76mm underfoot b5's can't cut it through the gates? Heresy Shocked

Anyway, change of plan for Mon. Are you & Craig having your normal slide between 4-6pm on Monday? Deb & I need to get home early evening & EB's close at 5pm so we have to collect Deb's skis by then. Rather than then waiting around for the Lions session at 7.30 we're gonna get there earlier, get Deb's skis & then go sliding from 4-6.
snow report
beanie1 wrote:
He's only done about 2 weeks skiing and last time he dislocated his shoulder. Think he should have a few lessons to get his confidence back before he does any free skiing.

Well you're the BASI 3 so isn't that your job Puzzled Laughing
snow conditions
spyderjon,

I can't teach him at Castleford! Anyway, teaching your other half to ski is not always a good move...

To be honest I want a really top instructor so I'm going to try and get a recommendation from a friend. Think it will also be better for him if I'm not there watching!
snow conditions
beanie1, teaching your other half anything is not a good move.

What's wrong with learning at Castleford?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon, I suspect that Castleford will only allow their own instructors to teach on their slope like most artificial slopes in the UK
latest report
It's a bit harsh if you can't teach your own boyfriend though, even the ESF don't mind that.
snow report
D G Orf wrote:
I suspect that Castleford will only allow their own instructors to teach on their slope like most artificial slopes in the UK

beanie1, If that's the case you could teach him at the Lions sessions.
snow report
D G Orf is right - Castleford won't allow other instructors to teach on the slope.

Anyway, last time I taught him it didn't work - he said he found me patronising! So think I'll leave it to someone else. But only someone who gets my full approval!

He's not skied since he dislocated his shoulder in Courmayeur last season. We're off skiing with friends at New Year so I want him to have a few lessons at Xscape before we go and get his confidence back. He may not have lost it but who knows, would rather find out before we go so he can work on it.
ski holidays
beanie1, I think the rules about teaching are different during Lions club sessions.

You could ask if Ben Arkley is still teaching at Castleford. I haven't seen him for a couple of weeks, so he may have gone to NZ.

The last time I saw him he was watching the top of the poma, but he is a BASI I and ran Interski in Courmayeur last season.
ski holidays
rjs,

Thanks for the reccomendation - I will find out if he's there at the moment.
snow report
Those of you guys that bump into members of the GB or home nations teams or development squads occasionally, would be grateful if you would pass on the details of this offer...

It applies throughout October and November - and possibly the first part of December (tbc)...
snow report
rjs, are there any members with the Lions?
snow report
marc gledhill, I don't think there are any team menbers who are with Lions.

The offer described in the link doesn't say it is limited to team members.
snow conditions
rjs, no but team/development squad/fringes of D.S. (either home nations or GB) have to take priority really.
snow conditions
PG, Sure. There are several better racers who ski mostly at Sheffield, I will pass on the offer the next time they come up for the regional squad night.

I prefer being based in Tignes itself in the autumn, but we stayed in BSM the week before the Scottish champs and drove up each morning. It wasn't obvious from any of the tourist info whether there was a public gym in Bourg, having a better selection of shops was good though.
snow report
rjs, there is a private gym near the centre of Bourg called the Indiana, or something like that.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy