Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing is for toffs

Poster: A snowHead
paulio wrote:
I forgot to update this thread with my latest observation, from Courchevel (1850 of course, dahling) in January.

A man skiing in a Cashmere wool coat, and a bowler hat.

Drat, caught red handed!! Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Boredsurfing wrote:
Axsman, Nanny's should be involved, but thats a whole new thread and sock puppet perhaps wink Laughing

Is that the difference?

Toffs have nann[y][ie]s (Pedantica help me our here – correct term/spelling for the collective noun please). The pretentious lot in the middle have "Au Pairs", the rest of us babysitters.

Then I suppose the Pikeys just leave their kids behind with a McCauley Culkin film?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Axsman wrote:
Two years on, and still no definition - Just what makes a 'Toff' a 'Toff'?

A minimum-7-figure cash bank-balance passed down atleast 2 generations.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Axsman wrote:
Two years on, and still no definition - Just what makes a 'Toff' a 'Toff'?

Fishknives. If the family silver has fishknives then they're merely neuveau riche.

Fishknives were only invented in the victorian era, so real old money whos silver is proper old, then there won't be fishknives.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A toff is a person who did not buy his/her furniture
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
musher, nannies

This thread is so full of crap it's untrue.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It was designed to be full of light hearted comedic observations.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
paulio wrote:
It was designed to be full of light hearted comedic observations.

I think that was clear enough right from the start, judging from the tone and subject of the thread. I particularly enjoyed:

Richard_Sideways wrote:
I remember the first time I was called a Toff, damn near dropped my monocle...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That might have been the intention, but there are plenty of non-comedic posts on here.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
All the non-comedic posts were written by toffs.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
But...but... a recent advert led me to believe even Geordies can afford to ski now?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
narc wrote:
But...but... a recent advert led me to believe even Geordies can afford to ski now?

Really? Surely you jest, old boy?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
paulio, mmm, that is indeed possible.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dr John wrote:
Toffs, generally, couldn't care less about where a person comes from, was educated, what "class" they belong to, as long as you're polite and good company they don't give a monkeys. The british obsession with class tends to be bottom up, rather than top down.

The middle class with aspirations, however, are the devils own work and to be avoided at all costs.
Very rarely post just to say I agree with something, but this I had to publicly agree with. Especially the part about 'middle-England', which I hold firmly responsible for the country's standards going down the drain... Shocked

PS. Just what is wrong with red trousers? I've got a lovely pair, which my family refuse to be seen with me wearing. Laughing There's another ex-RN type in the hotel I'm currently staying at, he too has some unusual trousers... I reckon there's a strong correlation between the colourfulness of trousers and the likelihood that the person wearing them has served. My observation, no idea if it's true or not though.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
yes I can confirm Geordies can afford to ski now (the more intelligent and cunning amongst us have done so for several years entirely undetected by the rest of the mountain loving population); however before one can board an aircraft destined for a snowy paradise one must first pass through the screening section at newcastle airport to ensure one has sufficient elocution and diction that one can disguise ones accent - one wouldn't want to embarrass oneself would one? Laughing

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 22-02-12 19:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
migletski wrote:
The screening section at newcastle airport to ensure one has sufficient elocution and dictation that one can disguise ones accent - one wouldn't want to embarrass oneself would one? Laughing

You mean diction don't you. Doh. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
ha ha yes typing too fast without brain engaged ...now corrected Embarassed
latest report
skisimon wrote:
... I reckon there's a strong correlation between the colourfulness of trousers and the likelihood that the person wearing them has served. .

I think you'll find there's a stronger one relating to lack of any discernable fashion sense and/or colour blindness Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Axsman, Pah! I look terribly dashing in red. Cool I'd have thought my mother would have taken greater issue with the lime green and pink striped jacket that I bought to go with the aforementioned trousers... Shocked
snow conditions
skisimon wrote:
Dr John wrote:
Toffs, generally, couldn't care less about where a person comes from, was educated, what "class" they belong to, as long as you're polite and good company they don't give a monkeys. The british obsession with class tends to be bottom up, rather than top down.

The middle class with aspirations, however, are the devils own work and to be avoided at all costs.
Very rarely post just to say I agree with something, but this I had to publicly agree with. Especially the part about 'middle-England', which I hold firmly responsible for the country's standards going down the drain... Shocked

PS. Just what is wrong with red trousers? I've got a lovely pair, which my family refuse to be seen with me wearing. Laughing There's another ex-RN type in the hotel I'm currently staying at, he too has some unusual trousers... I reckon there's a strong correlation between the colourfulness of trousers and the likelihood that the person wearing them has served. My observation, no idea if it's true or not though.

Dr John is obviously a man of some wisdom. Having spent most of my life in northerly north London I would have to strongly agree with the bit about the devil's own work.

Are the trousers you refer to anything like these fine specimens: www.cordings.co.uk/menswear/trousers
latest report
skisimon wrote:
Axsman, Pah! I look terribly dashing in red. Cool I'd have thought my mother would have taken greater issue with the lime green and pink striped jacket that I bought to go with the aforementioned trousers... Shocked

On the first point I'll (fortunately) have to take your word for it, on the second clearly she is a lady of taste. Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

There's another ex-RN type in the hotel I'm currently staying at, he too has some unusual trousers... I reckon there's a strong correlation between the colourfulness of trousers and the likelihood that the person wearing them has served. My observation, no idea if it's true or not though.

In the Army or the Royal Navy you are probably right - but there is one service where such garb is ridiculed!!
Per Ardua Ad Astra wink
snow report
chocksaway, the Royal Navy and the British Army have traditions. The, erm, other lot have habits... wink Little Angel

Walter-Spitty, somewhat spookily, they are a little number from that particular outfitter...

I would try and hunt down a picture in the offending pair, but I'm a decent sort of chap and wouldn't want to have to put Axsman through the traumatic experience... Laughing
latest report
I get my butler to clear eavesdroppers away from my vicinity in public places such as airports and mountain restaurants.
snow report
skisimon, spooky indeed! We're not allowed to wear trousers like that in north London - apparently it's against the rules for suburban types.
latest report
What are youse oiks doing on my mountain?
Be orf with you before i loose mi pack of slobbering St Bernards'
Todays damned peasentry don't know their place, What!

Madeye-Smiley
snow report
A real toff always treats his servants and those of more humble station in life generously!

Noblesse oblige, and all that, don't you know. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
skisimon, I didn't realise the crabfats had habits - I thought that was monks! wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair Pink, Laughing

Strangely, and without thinking of this thread, we had a discussion over dinner this evening about the lesser-spotted tweed wearing skier. We concluded that it was incredibly sensible to ski in tweed - what with it being weather-proof, designed for the outdoors, and incredibly breathable. I think I must pull some out for the next fancy dress skiing day. Unfortunately, we did touch upon the smell of damp wool - which most of us, however, agreed was a bit of a guilty pleasure...
snow conditions
Dr John wrote:
bobmcstuff, he also wouldn't be in the long stay car park, he'd have got the valet parking service or drive the range rover to resort.
not always.. a proper toff will be asset rich and cash poor unlike the new moneyed mob.. getting from long stay is no biggy for the toff as he wont work so is never in a rush.. if fact th eonly reason a toff can afford to park at the airport at all is because his family has an 'account' with NCP
ski holidays
Fattes13 wrote:
PJSki, Its like the Billy Connoly joke of the toboganist

From 3 min 33 sec

http://youtube.com/v/9Y1YRC92rqk&t=3m33s
latest report
Quote:

PS. Just what is wrong with red trousers? I've got a lovely pair, which my family refuse to be seen with me wearing. There's another ex-RN type in the hotel I'm currently staying at, he too has some unusual trousers... I reckon there's a strong correlation between the colourfulness of trousers and the likelihood that the person wearing them has served. My observation, no idea if it's true or not though.

Well this makes me chuckle: http://(Oh dear, I'm rather losing my cool - I think I might have wee-weed myself a little bit :oops:).blogspot.com/
ski holidays
We refer to the Shaftesbury set as the "rasberry cord brigade". Obviously they are a bit behind the times.
snow report
I thought it was just me that thought that people wearing red trousers were twonks.
RandomSkier, thanks for the link Laughing
ski holidays
RandomSkier, great stuff!

An old friend who is far wiser than I am once advised me "Never trust a man wearing red trousers." snowHead
snow report
Santa wears Red trousers and a nicer man you've never met.
latest report
cc_7up, Santa is a middle class Toff with aspirations for summer.
snow report
I'd just like to point out that those of us who wear "red" trousers usually refer to them as pink trousers.....it's just another one of those subtle things that allows us to discern who is, and isn't, one of us.

A bit like knowing what a transciever is if you are a skier.
ski holidays
rungsp,
Quote:

A bit like knowing what a transciever is if you are a skier.
Would a toff know how to spell the word? wink
snow report
What's a transceiver?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy