Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski carriage Crystal/Thomsonfly

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
sarah, I think the Crystal policy is because people often take their own boots and not skis. With Crystal these people don't have to pay a ski carriage charge at all. The boots form part of their normal weight allowance which seems pretty fair.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
queen bodecia, would you mind sharing the details on your holdall, what make/model is it? That is remarkably light for a wheeled bag. Mine weighs approx 3.7kg.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sarah, I bought it in Decathlon. Looking at their website I think it's this one:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/duffle-bag-90l-tr-essentiel-w-57517115/#AVANTAGES
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
queen bodecia wrote:
sarah, I think the Crystal policy is because people often take their own boots and not skis. With Crystal these people don't have to pay a ski carriage charge at all. The boots form part of their normal weight allowance which seems pretty fair.

But that would always be the case anyway, you can take what the hell you like for no extra charge provided it fits in your bag and weighs less than 20kg.

Your holdall looks good if it is really only 1kg in weight. I will investigate next time I am in Decathlon.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sarah, it probably wasn't the most scientific method of weighing it since it doesn't register any weight at all on my bathroom scales by itself, but the difference between me weighing myself and then weighing myself holding the bag was 850g.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
achilles, queen bodecia, I am pleased to update you that you were both correct and in fact on packing the holdalls came to around 14kg each. I could fit helmets in, one in each bag and one pair of boots in one bag (junior boots). However the bags were full, no chance of fitting the adult boots in. So we also now have 2 boot bags. I have played by the rules and have skis and poles only in the coffin ski bag, 3 holdalls and 2 boot bags. I could have fitted the boots into the coffin bag and reduced 6 pieces of luggage to 4 but this is not what Crystal/Thomson want so there we are, extra bags for us and the handlers to shift and lose rolling eyes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sarah, glad about the weight thing! I certainly wouldn't be able to get my boots in my ski bag but they did fit OK in my holdall when my boot bag died. I think one way of avoiding the sad demise of my boot bag is to take the shoulder strap off and zip it inside. It looked like the strap on mine got caught in the luggage conveyor which then mangled the bag as other cases squished past. Luckily the boots inside weren't damaged but I had wrapped them in bubble wrap. What was funny is that as we boarded the plan we saw this sad ripped up boot bag on the air bridge with a 'TO BE IDENTIFIED' sticker on it and lamented the state of it to each other. When the ground crew brought it round the aircraft for identification I was mortified to realise it was mine! It had been a brand new bag!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Why not simply have an allowance per passenger including the passenger Very Happy

That way fat people pay more or take less baggage, slim people pay nothing extra & take their extra baggage/ski/boards.

It'd be good for their health anyway Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Anyone know what the situation is with Iglu ?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cptsideways, I think Iglu are an agent rather than a TO. I may be wrong though.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cptsideways,

I watched a documentary the other day about the history of British Aviation and that's what they used to do.

Each passenger was weighed and excess luggage was sent seperately.

Perhaps it will make a comeback Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What I struggle to understand is why boots aren't covered in the ski carriage charge? Aren't you paying the extra £30pp to transport your ski equipment. Who takes skis but no boots? It doesn't seem fair, especially as baggage allowance seems to get less and less every year. What's next, a ski-pole supplement?

Also, whilst it's great to see industry people on the forum helping to clarify things, how hard would it be for companies to state clearly at the time of booking your ski carriage what the charge covers? Surely that would help ease check-in stress for both passengers and staff?

I booked with TUI recently via First Choice and despite looking I couldn't find any clear info on the site and felt a bit put out when the check-in staff tutted and quoted this season's policy to me as if I should know. (From Manchester on Thomson apparently it's 12kg for skis, 17kg for a snowboard and boots should come within the 20kg luggage allowance, but can be in a separate bag)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well, I was so impressed with Simon Cross' responses on this forum that I checked out the Crystal site - and booked myself a holiday to Wengen. I was a bit puzzled how a £50 surcharge appeared apparently from nowhere in my bill - even so I think I have got very good value. As for clarity: The ski & snowboard bag must contain the pair of skis or snowboard only seems to me to rule out boots in the ski bag. I'm going to chance my arm with the poles, though. wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Got two pairs of (heavy) skis, two pairs of poles, back protector, salopettes, probe, shovel and one boot in my Dakine double wheeler bag on my recent trip with Crystal. Didn't see the scales at Mcr but the ski bag weighed about 23kgs on my return at Grenoble, which along with a 22kg main bag (the bag itself is v heavy plus I ended up taking stuff like a hairdryer for my incredibly vain travel partner Wink ) made me think I'd have to pony up for excess baggage but fortunately not an issue either direction. Maybe I was just lucky with the check-in desk, or maybe they're not told to be very strict on the limits?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy