Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mens Downhill -LATEST

Poster: A snowHead
B0ll0cks!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympic_games/vancouver_2010/8513805.stm

Thats my plans for the day scuppered!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh dear, the Games really have got off to a disastrous start.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The downhill finishes at village height doesn't it? If so I don't know why the BBC thinks the weather will be better on monday as snow-forecast certainly doesn't think so

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Whistler-Blackcomb/6day/bot
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Man that forecast sucks! Not even cold enough to get the cannons going...

That piste is gonna be a right state!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I guess they either need a schedule with a delay of several days, or else they need a backup course higher up? Not off to a good start. Shame.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Remember we have inside information fro mVancouver, the Insider mentioned last night that it was looking shaky

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=61650&highlight=

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=60909
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As a bit of an aside, the BBC previews are rubbish. Instead of action footage its some black and white hunter/explorer. My kids haven't mentioned the olympics yet. Still, hoping to see some ice hockey in some bars next week.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've never been to whistler but various people I've met, who have, have always commented on how wet it is in the village. There are plenty of higher pistes, it seems - so why do they have these race courses so low? Are all the events held at the kind of altitude which is going to get rained upon?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Finish altitude is 825 metres so not exactly low for a finish line. Trouble is being close to the nice warm wet Pacific. "Never go skiing where you can (almost) see fishing boats" someone once said to me and my two experiences of Whistler have both involved heaps of rain at village level.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
When we were in Whistler it was not possible to ski down to Creekside, and only just possible back to Whistler village.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whistler is in the biggest rainforest in the Northern Hemisphere. It's that word 'rain' that always makes me wonder if it might rain in a rainforest.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whoaoaoaa everyone, it's really not that bad here, just not SAFE enough to race DH. A GS or SL could have run today no problem. There's tons of snow and the snowline is just a couple of hunred vertical metres above the village this morning.
The course isn't wrecked at all and they way they're managing traffic on it meas that it'll stay ok for days. It WILL however make for some very fast racing once the temperature drops....
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If the temperature drops. I'm seriously grumpy now Evil or Very Mad and the missus is grumpy at me for being grumpy Twisted Evil
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Watching the rugby. A short while ago John Inverdale announced cancellation of the men's downhill due to "no snow"... how many BBC folks swilling around Whistler? And they get it sooo wrong.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
i guess if it could be moved they would surely have done so...still a bit wierd there doesnt seem to be any plan B apart from wait and see... Puzzled

And i dont have a plan B for tonight! Might have to treat myself tomorrow to a visit to the epic Hohe Wand Wiese:

http://www.bergfex.at/hohewandwiese/

Little Angel
snow report
Vancouver Insider, so when is it reschuduled for do ya think?
snow conditions
Vancouver Insider, glad to hear it.
ski holidays
What's the score with the courses over in Vancouver?
snow report
fallliner wrote:
Whistler is in the biggest rainforest in the Northern Hemisphere. It's that word 'rain' that always makes me wonder if it might rain in a rainforest.

There was definitely a lot of rain when we were there, but there was fresh, but sticky, snow higher up. Visibility was often very poor, I don't think we saw the sun all week, and I found myself longing for the sunny slopes of Serre Chevalier.
snow report
You can tell Whistler seasonnaires because they look like submariners; honestly, all the writers we send out there like the quantity of snow high up but get inevitably rained on and rarely see the sun. Fall-Line's been saying this for years, much to the detriment of our ad budget.
snow conditions
The morning of our flight back, we left early to go to Stanley Park, I have some fantastic pictures of us there in the pouring rain rolling eyes , although we had a nice but expensive lunch. If we'd waited till later, we would have missed our flight, as the Sea to Sky was closed for several hours due to a fatal accident. We only just made it past the smash, as police and helicopters were arriving.
latest report
bh wrote:
I guess they either need a schedule with a delay of several days, or else they need a backup course higher up?

I would be very surprised if the course doesn't start at the very top of the mountain, downhill courses are supposed to be about 2 miles long and there is a minimum length and vertical height. I remember one Olympics where they had to build the start on a restaurant roof to get enough height for the course.
snow conditions
snowball, There's lodas of mountain above the start, but don't think any of it would be suitable . Map here http://media.intrawest.com/whistler/events/2010_public_downhill_viewing_areas.pdf
latest report
its just been advertised on the rugby as being 'live' at 7 30. Maybe the BBC need to talk amongst themselves as to whats happening!!
snow conditions
ernie wrote:
its just been advertised on the rugby as being 'live' at 7 30. Maybe the BBC need to talk amongst themselves as to whats happening!!

I was just going to say that! Perhaps they need to read this thread Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, yes, you are right.

I just looked at the Rules: Downhill courses must have 800 -1100m vertical.
latest report
snowball,

To get the vertical fall, racers went up in the hotel lift and the start 'hut' gate was a window that had been removed from the top floor of the hotel. It was at the top of Flims-Lax if I remember rightly...

The mid point of Whistler mountain is fairly flat and not suitable for a downhill, so if starting higher up there would be too long a gliding mid section I suspect. During the peak to valley race which goes top to bottom, slower folk are usually polling along through that bit!

Having snapped my Achilles on Jan 1st I'm out for the season, and not skiing which is a shame, everyone tells me that the snow high up is great, and the lifts are empty...
snow conditions
Canadian skiing - minging rain or -40c. Anyone who goes there pretends it's great rather than admit they wasted so much time and money when they would have been better off in Glenshee
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27, Toofy Grin Laughing Laughing

but oh so wrong.
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, you've been then? wink
ski holidays
Mr Bell seems to think that the reason its been cancelled isn't becasue of the rain....its because the course is too soft higher up where snow had fallen...apperantly it makes the course too easy to rut up during the race which makes it unfair and dangerous. He also commented that the lower part of the course where they had some rain was in better (race) condition than the upper slopes. From the coverage I've seen its looks pretty good out there.
latest report
Enough with the drama, it's been POSTPONED!!! not cancelled.
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
Canadian skiing - minging rain or -40c. Anyone who goes there pretends it's great rather than admit they wasted so much time and money when they would have been better off in Glenshee

Not quite true. Maybe true(ish) in Whistler, but Whistler isn't the whole of Canadian skiing Smile
ski holidays
I have only been to Whistler once, on the 15th and 16th May a couple of years ago. It was brilliant.

I have only been to Glenshee once, in February sometime. It was the best weekend of the whole season apparently. It was poor.

I rest my case.
snow report
This was on the cards for a few days now, Whistler isn't the most reliable place for ski racing.
snow conditions
colinmcc wrote:
To get the vertical fall, racers went up in the hotel lift and the start 'hut' gate was a window that had been removed from the top floor of the hotel. It was at the top of Flims-Lax if I remember rightly...
Sarajevo 1984
ski holidays
Quote:

Living in Scotland I have skied Glenshee and, on holiday, I have skied in Canada, at Whistler and Banff/Lake Louise. At no time in Canada have I ever wished I was at Glenshee............sadly the converse is not true. Each to his own though.
latest report
Bode Swiller wrote:
Sarajevo 1984

Try Men's downhill, Laax, 1978... Perhaps Sarajevo had the same problem...
snow report
It was always likely that the weather in Whistler/Vancouver had the potential to be less than stellar. I've always thought that the Olympics could backfire badly on Whistler by showing the world quite how much it can rain. Of course the alpine will be epic. wink
latest report
fatbob, compounded of course by an El Nino year... thems the breaks I suppose!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy