Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif: Flaine, Les Carroz, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt. Snow reports 2009/2010

Poster: A snowHead
Got back last night from a long weekend in Flaine. Snow was great and plentiful around the Flaine region, and very few people about so the pistes were great!
No sun to speak of and bitterly cold, and on Saturday, from about 2000m and lower it was complete white out. Kept snowing lightly throughout the days and eves.

When we left yesterday Sunday morning though, beautiful blue skies even at Les Carroz level. Although a heavy dump on Saturday had closed Geneva airport and the airport was in utter chaos. For 3 hours we thought our flight was cancelled and was going to spend 2 days at the airport, only to be lucky for flight to be suddenly reinstated and we got home only 3 hour late!

Anyone going out there this week is in for a treat - enjoy!! Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There the same time as Claire - enjoying the same low vis but excellent snow fri/sat. Sunday got fabulously sunny as was Monday, a bit icy on the last 200m of most runs other than that fabulous. Some great slopeside powder (some interesting cover and holes further afield, I'd suggest a guide) and all round excellent conditions especially up high. Could not have asked for more!

Pacoty short but holding its snow very well - worth a visit imo. Tip of the week - don't go down bezlebuth in the fog with vis down to 20ft or so - it's all seriously variable rolling hump and lumps, fab if you can see (rollercoaster) - In the fog I kept finding 'down' changing dramatically when I was already struggling to work out which way was up Wink

Had an excellent time and the base seems well set now, except maybe combe back into carroz which is still rocky and some of the lower village runs which are still closed.

Enjoy everyone!

aj xx
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anybody out there at the moment? We are coming out on Thursday for a couple of days - most forecasts look like snow Weds night, a bit of sun thurs Friday and dull Saturday but plenty cold enough...? Interested in state of Combe back to Les Carroz and the links over to Flaine and back...(oh, and Marvel for nostalgic reasons!) snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kewhoward, probably get out tomorrow for a ski (if I can find the time) will make a special trip to cover the runs for you!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
marcellus, What a service! If you could fluff up the pillows and warm the slippers too....! Have a good day! snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kewhoward, sorry... no extras offerred!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kewhoward, right especially for you I went up today for a couple of hours and can report;
> Bottom of Combe is good
> all runs from Samoens to Flaine are good
> all runs are generally good although I didn't go down to Vercland again.

Snow started at 14:30 so went home then, since have had about 2" at 700m, god knows what up top!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
marcellus, You are indeed a star - even arranged the refresh overnight! Hope to get a couple of hours in tom and then dawn til dusk over the weekend. Weather looks great for Fri and Sat - you've raised my anticipation levels to 11! thanks again - will report back on conditions early next week snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
marcellus, Thanks for the updates... keep them coming. Me and pals arrive Sunday for a few days. Sounds like almost everything open. Can't wait. How is the new lift in Samoens? - Does it go right up to top in 1 go?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks marcellus. We're out Friday night for 3 days - sounds like it's a bit better than it was over Christmas!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stevo_the_saddler, yes it's great (snow and the Chariande Express)..... took me half an hour from leaving home (Morillon), drving to the Grand Express, parking, getting boots on, taking Grand Expresss, skiing to Chariande Express and ending at Le Croc at the Tete de Saix to meet Vermont Powder.... Good job too as I was late!!

mfj197, looking good for next week too!!!

Does anyone fancy a beer next week in the Yeti Bar?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
marcellus, groovy.. no more leg bashing from Croix! I assume that has gone?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm out in Les Carroz saturday too! Where is Yeti Bar?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ben E C, Morillon!! opposite the telecabine!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
marcellus, I will PM my mobile number. Happy to shout you a beer one day in thanks for the updates Happy
snow report
vermont Powder has now arrived for the rest of the season and starting to feel at home;

latest report
Ben E C,

3 of us arrive Les Carroz on Sunday(providing EJ don't cancel the flight again like last Sunday), we'll be in Le Pointe Noire & Marlow most evening quaffing jugs of Erdinger, pop in & say "Hello!"
snow report
Well finally back here again, including 1 knee brace

reasonably busy today, snow high up in flaine was really really good, combe etc into les carroz was very stoney at the end of the day. Felire black was in really good nick.

Off piste looked fun (not allowed at the moment!) did not look very deep however.

Icing knee so more tomorrow........ Puzzled
ski holidays
Carroz, so sorry bout knee, hope your op sorts it out, really appreciated your updates before we came out, unfortunately all over for us for this year, however my bro and wife and friends in flaine this week some of group only blue skiers know its a bit off topic but would they be able for almandine red in flaine or is it too tricky??? Would really appreciate some feedback we usually together and they missin a bit of direction.
ski holidays
snowmam, I'm not a great skier but am competent enough on most reds in good conditions. Almandine is one of those reds that I'd only do in good conditions, on the whole it's a lovely run, it's just the last couple of hundred metres that are narrower, steeper and often icy. Mephisto, on the other hand, is a red I'd recommend for skiers who like stick to the blues Very Happy
ski holidays
snowmam, Thanks, pleased my scribbles helped! Out today in the fog, and knee is feeling miles better (according to scan 2 weeks ago, acl is intact!, just damaged mcl and bruised bone)

as skimum, said Almandine is ok apart from last bit, and if you have your own skis the last bit often has rocks etc and it gets very polished, with stuggling people making it a moving slalom! Lower Faust is better.

anyway on to today. Foggy with a bit of new snow ((about 3 cms) I really enjoyed today. Grippy snow, morillon seemed to have the best visibilty, and it was really quiet. A few bare patches in places,(bergin had a few) but not much.

Compared to yesterday the place is empty

Timalets down to les carroz had brilliant snow, huge fun

Combe has the rocks sign up at the gron lift, it was not good yesterday

On to tomorrow....

Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Anyone else for a Beer tomorrow (Tuesday) night 16:00 at Coveys?
latest report
Back from Les carroz over weekend - wall to wall sun from Thurs to Sat - we covered all corners of GM and as much as we could in between...

Observations were:

Still a great place to go - we had 5 skiers and one v competent boarder who never complained (honestly!)

Snow was very very nice above 1600 - ie up from all the mid stations and almost right down into Flaine...

Below that it was freeze thaw, sometimes unpleasant icy patches and pretty thin in places - no real base.

Very quiet Thurs Friday, pretty busy Sat with some nutty carvers particularly in Morillon it seemed.

In particular first time down Cascades - really liked it - our boarder was very tolerant on the flat bits - most at top but also a bit in the middle. Boiler plate ice for last 2km down road but still well worth it for the previous 12km! Great scenery and surprised how much fun in the rollercoaster bits. It really felt different from the norm and bus at bottom was very easy back into Samoen main express.

I imagine new snow is getting a bit urgent for < 1500m

But above that I think good to go for a while

Enjoy and thanks for the advice before snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Small amount of snow today, lots of fog again

overall similar to yesterday, but snow seems in slightly better nick overall in particular tete des saix

Timalets on way back was in even better condition.

Not happy today as some ***** nicked my hestra gloves Evil or Very Mad my own fault should be more careful......live and learn
snow conditions
carroz, any idea what the off piste conditions are like? or could you not see that far down! Toofy Grin
snow report
paulmclean85, it looked ok (i am not allowed off piste at the moment) and there is a little bit of fresh, but it is all rather tracked. There was a break in the clouds going up l'airon lift next to the lake, and some people were off piste near there, it looked only about half way up boots and a bit cruddy.
latest report
Excellent full day today, samoens, morillon and les carroz. Really sunny Very Happy makes a change from fog!

Snow is in really good condition. Even did velarge down to vercland, which had a few stones and thin bits, Agile noir down to samoens was powdery and brill . Offpiste in the more popular spots is now bumped, but still fun, (i broke the rules today a bit, it was too nice!) in the sun it was so much warmer.

Timalets going home was foggy and very cold, snow was super.

Knee aslo held up well, and no one nicked my gloves! a good day! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Superb day, about 10 to 15cm of new snow. Off piste refreshed, if a bit lumpy underneath. Even velarge down to vercland was ok, if still a bit stoney, so stick to the edges, just duck for the tree branches. Very quiet. Now cleared a bit and picture postcard here in les carroz. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Back from 3 days out last Sat - Mon, and had a great time. Snow was pretty good and the weather Saturday and Sunday was blue skies. Sunday we actually headed over to Praz de Lys for a change, and found some good runs there. Monday in the GM was very foggy but up at the top above Flaine the sun was shining. Faust was deserted, and great! If I'd seen marcellus's comment about meeting for a beer in Yeti Bar at some point I would have been there!
snow report
marcellus, I was in Coveys (about 9 - so I guess too late). Pity I didn't check SH whilst there. My report FWIW....

Monday... am was great in Flaine, visibility good, runs brilliant, managed to get dumped off a lift for the first time in fifteen+ years (Fred) - the liftie looked at me and said " you do realise there is only a black run open here?" - I think he hought I was a beginner due to my faux pas Happy

Tuesday... possibly the worst day of fog I have ever skied in. I have skied GM for 5 years twice a year, and still felt lost at times. Even managed to go off the edge in a place that could have been nasty if I had been going any quicker... not nice.

Weds... Brilliant day. Cloud was very low... so all GM was clear. Pistes in great condition overall apart from a few thinner patches on busy bottoms of a couple of runs.

Overall a mixed 3 days - but snow and pistes in great nick once the fog lifts. Snowing heavily as we left Samoens early this morning.
latest report
Snowed on and off all day, visibility high up a bit of a pain, and its got really cold

Pistes in excellent condition, off piste good, but bit difficult as could not see much......!

Half of timalets shut due to races, other half nicely mogulled, which was interesting with school classes coming down, bit like dominos........

Now starting to get a bit windy, and even colder, so stopped before I froze
snow report
9.00pm its hammering it down and has been since 5.30pm, powder day tomorrow, and transfer chaos!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
I've just been up the hill above Samoens and there is about a foot up there already. Anybody want to work for me tomorrow? damn transfer days.... Mad
snow report
carroz, Jealous...
snow report
man up paulmclean85, get out there, don't slide too much and enjoy!!
snow report
Quote:

powder day tomorrow, and transfer chaos!

is it my imagination, or does heavy snow have a particular penchant for transfer days? It seems to happen so often.
latest report
Three words;

Oh My God

Can't stop got to go and dig the bus out!!
snow report
marcellus, pics please Happy
snow report
stevo_the_saddler, shovel wrapped round your neck, more likely. wink
ski holidays
pam w, lol
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy