Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif: Flaine, Les Carroz, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt. Snow reports 2009/2010

Poster: A snowHead
Well as I am here in Les Carroz, may as well start this off for this season

snow reports only: for other things see here

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=55843

15th december

Les carroz opens friday so its flaine at the moment

Les carroz covered in cloud and fine snow for most of the day, driving up to flaine this disappeared at about 1800m in morning, on way home just drove into fine snow again. Sunny and cold in flaine.

limited opening in flaine. DMC, and col de platte main lifts open. Snow is good, bit thin down olivine blue, which is really the only way back to DMC. Making lots of snow on lower runs.

Quite a few people off piste, but it is very thin in places, and lots of holes.

Opens runs: most of blues around col de platte (which stops with annoying frequency) and top of faust

means go up DMC and have to tow 9 year old on lumpy uphill blue over to col de platte lift!!

still its skiing and better than work. Very Happy

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 15-12-09 19:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
carroz, may as well keep it all in one place hey!! wink

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1343221#1343221
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the update Carroz - keep them coming, am due out to Les Carroz 8th Jan -Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hello marcellus, see you have emigrated to morillon! I just "thought" that snow reports belong here really, everything else on the other thread. So have modified title.

Will be in flaine tomorrow, if your there lookout for silver helmet with snowheads stickers on it, towing daughter about!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
carroz, yes moved round the mountain as it's a lot cheaper..... now in a 4 bed farmhouse for the same money as an MGM 2 bedroomed apartment....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
marcellus wrote:
carroz, may as well keep it all in one place hey!! wink

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1343221#1343221

So does the other thread become redundant now?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chris Mason, no i don't think so, and it seems that having 2 threads is not welcome, The other thread is in resort info, that was what i assumed it was about, resort info but obviously i was wrong.

I am here a lot this season, but don't post my dates on a public forum.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So will continue with snow report

Wednesday 16th december

Opened curtains to it snowing quite heavily, didn't last long. Seemed to have snowed a bit during the night, about 5 cm on balcony rail.

Road up to flaine from les carroz was very snowy, then cleared over top of rise into flaine. Blue skies with a little low cloud

Same runs and lifts open as yesterday, Top of faust, serpentine, cristal, olivine, belzebuth, jonction, emeraude and epice to get back to dmc. snow was in good squeaky condition, hard base in places, didn't seem to be any new snow unlike les carroz.

No snow cannons running, seemed a bit odd as it was very cold -10 ish.

Mass queue at dmc when it broke for a long time at about 2.00pm, as we had been there since 9.30 decided to go home as no other way up.

Snowing in les carroz when we got back!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
carroz, I for one would welcome daily updates, we arrive at our chalet next wednesday and I've been anxiously watching the webcams and weather forecasts. When I looked at the webcams this morning it looked like there'd been some new snow lower down although none for Flaine.
I also find it odd that the cannons aren't running in Flaine, down at Morillon 1100 it looks like they're going 24 hrs/day. I'm hopeful that there'll be more of the real thing between now and when we arrive snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
carroz, top updates! Keep 'em coming!

skimum, I noticed the cannons too. They seem to have been running non stop for the last 2-3 days. Some pretty big piles of snow building up. Guess they'll be bashing that soon for the weekend.

It's looking quite promising for some more snow over the next few days. Nothing epic, but as a certain supermarket says, every little helps! Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Skiing in flaine is quite good at the moment, when the sun is out to soften it a bit. A fair few icy bits though. Only 2 lifts open though. To somewhat abuse the thread, noone has a spare bed for a few nights do they? I am loosing my curent bed on Monday and would like to stay a fewmore nights. TIA.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
yup keep them coming - watching carefully - 20 days to go Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

it looked like there'd been some new snow lower down although none for Flaine.

some of the snowfalls seem to have been very localised recently. Driving down through the Arly Valley today there was quite a few inches in Megeve (I think it fell on Sunday) but much less just a few miles up and down the Valley in Praz sur Arly and Combloux respectively. What we need is a big generalised dump, all over the place. The sort of dump that usually happens on a big transfer days and makes everybody's lives a misery. wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thursday 16th December

No new snow in les carroz, well at least according to the balcony rail measure! (but it is snowing a little now as I type this at 4.00pm ish)

Drove up a bit later today, snow all over road going down into flaine. looks like they got some local snow last night.

Really cold, -14, daughters long hair froze!, so we only did 3 hours.

Same runs and lifts as yesterday. Snow seemed even better, and they were making lots of snow on unopened runs.

Quite a few stones on the lower runs into flaine

According to flaine ticket office flaine will be fully open tomorrow, but not les carroz until "perhaps" saturday according to ticket office here

Les carroz has all snow guns going and is busy grooming runs. New high speed six man chair was running on our way up to flaine.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Don't panic everyone must have snowed about 25cm in Flaine so far today.
snow report
Hi just joined forum, travelling to Morillon on 26th hopin for good skiing. Great updates here. Whats it like down lower in Morillon/ Samoens Cool
snow conditions
gsb, that's great news snowHead
ski holidays
Friday 17th December

Lots of new snow, driving up to flaine was interesting...........winter tyres and 4 wheel drive was very useful

New snow up to mid boot level, they opened grand vans 8 man chair and the blue down over other side dolomine towards the other 8 man chair vernant was great fun with deep powder, but a very thin base (bushes, grass etc sticking out). Visibility was a bit duff in the falling snow

The main blue down towards flaine tormailine was very thin in places, got better nearer flaine.

All the other open runs I did were in excellent condition, however even just slightly off the piste is quite thin however with virtually no base.

Still making snow on the lower unopened runs on the aup de veran side.

Overall an excellent day

Carroz opens tomorrow.

If you are on your way you will need chains! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Had an email from our friend who lives in Les Carroz this morning. I quote: Have been skiing today for the first time in the most amazing fresh powder!!!!! It was absolutely freezing though - with wind chill about -18! Am still trying to warm up!

We're going over in 2 weeks so hoping it lasts Smile
snow report
Saturday and Sunday 19th & 20th december

No web last night

as AllyK, said fantastic 2 days skiing very light powder off piste in les carroz, up to my waist in a few places. Still very little actual base however, so skis are a bit banged up, have spent 2 hours this evening filling holes! But it was worth it, best bit was a long turn, ending up to my chest, but most of the time it is boot/knee level. Just did the same area again and again (hit same rock twice! Embarassed)

Only timalets red open down to gondola.

Everyone not with snow tyres has chains on, and roads in village are covered in snow

Its snowing again now, started when i packed up at 3pm (legs were stuffed after 6 hours!! no lunch, just too much powder!)

It still very cold -16 last night
snow report
carroz, thanks for the update.

I don't suppose you, or anyone else, knows why so little of Morillon is currently open? The snow seems okay on the webcam, as does the reported snow depth (for what it's worth!) on the Grand Massif website.
latest report
m00958, i was skiing around Morillion today and the cover is still pretty thin even though it looks good on the webcam. Most of the runs, especially lower down, have been built up using the cannons which id imagine is where the snow depth readings are coming from. Having said that I skiied down the unpisted red to Vercland today which was great until the very bottom where it was baseless and not nice at all. So just a wee bit more snow is all that is needed id say.
ski holidays
paulmclean85, thanks for the info. Fingers crossed some of this rain that's forecast actually falls as snow.
snow conditions
Monday December 21st

More snow last night, but it has warmed up so it was heavier than previous days

Busy today on piste, but again spent most of morning off piste, brilliant fun, and less rock damage, so more base

In afternoon went out with daughter, so some mild powder off a blue, which she loved and was up to her knees.

then off down marmottes at the end of the day, to sheet ice at the bottom from the cannons. New Lift was very impressive however.

sorry m00958, Have not been to morillon, les carroz has been too good, but Vercland is very low, so i would not worry. However the pistes i have done are a bit worn in places from the traffic, with a few thin patches.

Good news is even though it has warmed up it has been snowing on and off since 3pm.
snow report
carroz, I think you should be due a knighthood with all this great info snowHead

The Grand Massif website is now showing a lot more runs as expected to be opening. Wahoo!
latest report
Paulmclean85, thanks for info re Morillon, my sister has been skiing Heavenly @ Lake Tahoe this past wekend is coming to Morrilon with us on 26th, hope shes not too disappointed, hopefully lots of snow not rain before then, keep us posted please
snow conditions
Doesn't Morillon usually slowly open after the rest of the Grand Massif?
ski holidays
Tuesday December 22nd

Started to rain down in village at about 10pm last night.

So a bit glum this morning, where has all that light powder gone?? Snow has changed alot, now heavy and spring like.

Spots of rain this morning, then sun for a little while. Some new snow at top of les carroz from last night, but very wet.

Off piste heavy, but still quite good fun. Pistes have a few brown patches, but generally seemed ok, slushy bumps were fun.

Due to the high winds all the lifts to access the ridge above samoens (tete des saix??) where closed, so could not get to flaine etc on piste.

Overcast skies tonight, but very warm, lots of melt. Roads in village are clear.

How things change in 24 hours or so Sad Sad Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
carroz, let's hope a change back the other way happens just as quickly!

Oh, the weather forecast for the next 2-3 days is poo Sad

Hopefully things will improve a bit after that with lower temps (only possibly a little snow).

And then the last 2-3 days of the year look to be more warm and wet. B**ger.

That means that unless something really changes in the next few days there'll be no significant new snow before I get out there on the 2nd Sad
snow report
Only one lift open in Flaine most of today, the Tete Des Verds and the Col De Plate a bit later. Strong winds no DMC or Aup de Veran (egg)
ski holidays
9.30pm

It is pouring with rain here, (and has been since 8pm ish) as i look from balcony, snow around ESF meeting place has very dark bits appearing, as does the drag lift base (and it was not good this morning)

oh dear Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

however cham meteo states it is all very unpredictable

quote: Low 979 hpa, Southern Scotland, drifting northeast and driving a fast, humid and very unsettled soutwesterly stream from Spain to the Alps. A disturbance is moving away eastwards while the next one is expected to reaching the Alps towards the end of the afternoon. The unsettled southwesterly pattern is expected to persisting until the end of the week. Schedule of successive disturbances is fairly difficult to draw up precisely.
snow report
Looking at the webcams this morning everything still looks remarkably white. Was expecting to see some brown/green at 1100m.

Fingers crossed the lower slopes can take more of this over the next few days.
snow report
Tell me about it m00958! I'm heading out to Verchaix tomorrow so hope it'll be okay over Christmas / New Year. The rain should be falling as snow high up in Flaine, so if necessary we'll drive round there each day. Did that before when the lifts were closed and had a wonderful powder day.
latest report
Snowed all last night in Flaine about 15cm. Light snow at the moment with poor visibility.
snow report
I'm not so worried about the snow for me and the missus, we can get up the mountain to some snow somewhere. It's my daughter I'm more concerned about. She's going to be doing her 3rd week and I'm just wondering where the Morillon ESF are going to take her, especially if the snow low down is rubbish. She's beyond staying in the kiddy ski area, and skiing between the poles. Anyone got any idea where she will be taken?
snow report
Wednesday 23rd december (a day i would rather to forget)

This morning it had started to snow

up lift, reasonable amount of snow at top of telecabin (about 10cm)

decided to do gondola line....not a good idea, hit a tree stump, 1 slightly twisted knee, skis back on

goggles fogged as covered in snow, hit something else, huge somersault, could not breath for about 5 mins

did one more run feelling battered, timalets red was rather thin, quite a few melted patches, but up top was quite good if very soft

retired to apartment.......

Its been fine down here from most of day, foggy this evening, and melt is still happening...

m00958, On her 3rd week they will take her up sairon 4 man chair, and snow up there is fine (same height as les carroz gondola, so don't worry. Long marvel green from there she will love it.
latest report
Thursday 24th December

Not skiing, so just looking from apartment and next door neighbour, who said links to flaine etc are shut

Very warm, about 2 down here, snow is quite soft and wet. Rained quite a bit in the night.

new snow right at top of les carroz, but spring like conditions and heavy

Looking at gondola for last 10 minutes, has been stopped and there is a HUGE queue.

leave it to someone else to provide more
snow report
Very restrained today carroz! Are you feeling yesterdays bruises still? Thanks for the continued updates - am watching anxiously - out on the 8th....
snow report
yeah thanks carroz, , I'm in Flaine on the 2nd Jan. Pretty worried about the snow conditions on the web cams and the forecast doesn't fill me with optimism.

Have a great Christmas.
snow report
The cams are looking properly poo now, and it's going to rain again tonight, and again up to and over new year. I just hope they run the hell out of the snow canons between boxing day and new year (if it actually gets cold enough).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy