Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BA staff vote for strike action at Christmas / New Year

Poster: A snowHead
Please don't think that all cabin crew get the same wages and perks as BA rolling eyes
... but still, we're ALL predominantly there for your safety, not just to serve chicken or beef... Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Smokin Joe wrote:
susieski, your right..................pus the normal wage for a waitress is £5.80 an hour........................ Laughing

Cheap labour up North Shocked

Michelle they clearly said on Sky News cabin crew are paid £29,000 per year, so it must be true Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Michelle wrote:
Please don't think that all cabin crew get the same wages and perks as BA rolling eyes
... but still, we're ALL predominantly there for your safety, not just to serve chicken or beef... Twisted Evil

Funny, I thought you did it for the money and the uniform Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just seen this thread and wanted to say something , I really don't care about reasons voting for strike action , I simply think it is really wicked to make it over xmas regardless of the so called impact and I think all cabin staff who take action should be ashamed .

Any cabin staff out there , take note , not many are backing you . Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've joined the Fb group and put my 2p worth in on the Unite Union page - hopefully many others will do the same so Unite realise just how stupid this action is.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wow those wall postings are vitriolic Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
the more people who complain and make a loud fuss the happier the union will be, I guess, as it puts extra pressure on the airline.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not saying I agree with the strike but the point of strike action is to put pressure on the employer. What better way than to pressurise them at one of the busiest times of the year. Yes they will inconvenience and p-off many people but if it gets a result then the union will figure that it's a job well done. How many of you will stop flying BA (if it exists) once all this is over? Not many I'll be bound.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rob Mackley wrote:
Just seen this thread and wanted to say something , I really don't care about reasons voting for strike action , I simply think it is really wicked to make it over xmas regardless of the so called impact and I think all cabin staff who take action should be ashamed .

Any cabin staff out there , take note , not many are backing you . Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad

To be fair they are going to strike when it has most impact - no point if you dont ?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
halfhand, Busy .. but recently c-crew strikes at BA are always aimed at the 'Holiday' customer ie the occasional flyer to put public pressure on "management''. However they are also the 'slack' periods in BA's staple business .. the Business Traveller, so easier to ride-out financially than say September or weeks 2-3 in January, especially with well-rehearsed contingency plans ( managment crew etc.). This time UNITE seem to have it totally wrong as the wrath so far as has been aimed at them ...

No question there is always a big PR-cost.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
halfhand wrote:
Not saying I agree with the strike but the point of strike action is to put pressure on the employer. What better way than to pressurise them at one of the busiest times of the year. Yes they will inconvenience and p-off many people but if it gets a result then the union will figure that it's a job well done. How many of you will stop flying BA (if it exists) once all this is over? Not many I'll be bound.

Look at the financial position of BA - they are in no position to compromise, that is what is so absurd about this action
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Michelle wrote:

A friend of mine is a pilot with Monarch and according to him the most senior of senior cabin crew staff with BA, who only do long haul in business class and have 20+ years service actually earn more than him.

He reckons he could serve champers and caviar, but doubts they could fly his 747.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I don't think you'll find Monarch have any 747's Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Michelle wrote:

I bet you don't all get 5 star hotels and gourmet dinners either.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
[quote="martinm"]I don't think you'll find Monarch have any 747' Laughing[/quote

Well whatever it is he pilots then.
snow report
Kel wrote:
Michelle wrote:

A friend of mine is a pilot with Monarch and according to him the most senior of senior cabin crew staff with BA, who only do long haul in business class and have 20+ years service actually earn more than him.

A friend of mine is married to cabin crew of similar experience etc and to say I was surprised at how much his wife earned is an understatement...
snow conditions
God bless sl-eazy jet

2 tickets to Lyon safely in the pocket
snow conditions
chrisb wrote:
some colourful language on the wall postings. What bets on air rage against cabin crew at some point.?

I was wondering along those lines whether threat to personal safety when travelling in uniform would mean that they claim the days off as "sick due to stress" rather than even losing pay. Meanwhile other BA staff will be called upon to give up their holiday time to deal with chaos in terminals.
ski holidays
Not sure who I'm flying with - might be Monarch Puzzled
latest report
martinm wrote:
Not sure who I'm flying with - might be Monarch Puzzled

it'll be in one of these then

As of November 2009, the Monarch Airlines fleet consists of the following aircraft:[36]
Aircraft Total Orders Options Passengers
Airbus A300-600R 4 0 0 361
Airbus A320-200 5 0 0 174
Airbus A321-200 16 0 0 214
Airbus A330-200 2 0 0 358
Boeing 757-200 3 0 0 229
Boeing 767-300ER 1 0 0 309
Boeing 787

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
Last Xmas I was shafted by BA, booked Gatwick to Geneva nearly 12 months in advance at bargain basement price. They pulled the route with 6 weeks to go and offered me Heathrow to Lyon instead, but wanted another £900 off me for the 4 of us.
ski holidays
Flying with BA tomorrow to Canada (ski holiday obv.). Hoping that either the strike is ruled illegal, so we get home as planned, or that we get either a few days extra skiing or a chance to see Vancouver. Worst case scenario seems at the mo' seems to be the possibility of nasty re-routing via alternate airlines and connections. Probably won't know how we're getting home until we're out there.
snow report
xxdeleted duplicatexx

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 15-12-09 22:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Just-Jill, Laughing you are one cool customer
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott wrote:

It seemed preferable to worrying about something I have little/no control over...
Better than going to work anyhoo Cool
snow report
Just-Jill, Good on you - please spread your good vibes all over SH Very Happy
snow conditions
I am in the same boat Puzzled as just-jill currently looking up the required paperwork to stay in Canada long term, well till June when the resorts close (worse case)...it'll be better then work any hoo Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott wrote:

Yes, but once she's out there, who really cares if you can't leave the ski resort for an extra day or two whilst you look for alternative routes home...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Michelle wrote:

There is a vegetarian option as well Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Rob Mackley wrote:
I simply think it is really wicked to make it over xmas regardless of the so called impact and I think all cabin staff who take action should be ashamed .

I think it's bordering on criminal of them to strike for a two week block at ANY time, whether christmas or not. The amount of people who will have entire trips screwed up and who will either loose their holiday and will loose hundreds if not thousands of pounds on their lost holiday or additional costs booking last inute travel with other airlines.

They ought to be liable for every penny lost by the poor customers.

Disgrace.
latest report
The thing is teh Union leadership don't seem to give a damn about anyone other than themselves, they must know what this strike will cost BA, if BA goes down the pan over this then there will be hundreds/thousands of BA staff out of a job and the strike will be very much to blame
ski holidays
D G Orf wrote:
The thing is the Union leadership don't seem to give a damn about anyone other than themselves, they must know what this strike will cost BA, WHEN BA goes down the pan over this then there will be hundreds/thousands of BA staff out of a job and the strike will be one of the final nails in the coffin

Fixed it for ya..
snow report
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&ref=ts&gid=202104610686

dont open it if you dont like strong language (V. strong) Shocked
ski holidays
Lifted this off the Unite the Union Fb page, don't know if its plausible

Here's my plan: if my December 30 flight is cancelled, I'll be issuing a Small Claims Consumer Court summons against Unite. The cost is negligible and as a consumer, you're not eligible for costs if you lose. It'll cost Unite hundreds of pounds simply to defend.

If enough people do this, we can bankrupt this dinosaur of a Union.

Here's the link you need:... See More

http://www.consumerrightsexpert.co.uk/HowToUseSmallClaimsCourt.html

... Send it on!
Laughing
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, sounds like a very good idea, but whilst we may believe it is Unite to blame it may be difficult to prove that in a court of law. Unite would probably say in their defence that it is not them but the BA cabin crew who chose to strike. I guess it may be possible to sue Unite and the cabin crew staff jointly and severally - don't know how that would work. However I do like the idea!

Latest news is that BA and Unite are meeting today at 15:00 GMT for talks.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8415370.stm
ski holidays
mfj197 wrote:
Shimmy Alcott, sounds like a very good idea, but whilst we may believe it is Unite to blame it may be difficult to prove that in a court of law. Unite would probably say in their defence that it is not them but the BA cabin crew who chose to strike.

I think the vote was for Industrial Action. The form of action was decided upon by the union.
This is one of the points in the BA case this afternoon; the members did not vote for a strike.

The gist of BA claim this afternoon is that the question on the voting paper did NOT authorise a strike (see section 229/2b) . Industrial Action is NOT legal strike unless the question contain the very specific wording contained in 229/4

Voting paper .(1)
The method of voting in a ballot must be by the marking of a voting paper by the person voting. .
(2)
The voting paper must contain at least one of the following questions— .
(a)
a question (however framed) which requires the person answering it to say, by answering “Yes” or “No”, whether he is prepared to take part or, as the case may be, to continue to take part in a strike; .
(b)
a question (however framed) which requires the person answering it to say, by answering “Yes” or “No”, whether he is prepared to take part or, as the case may be, to continue to take part in industrial action short of a strike. .
(3)
The voting paper must specify who, in the event of a vote in favour of industrial action, is authorised for the purposes of section 233 to call upon members to take part or continue to take part in the industrial action. .
The person or description of persons so specified need not be authorised under the rules of the union but must be within section 20(3) (persons for whose acts the union is taken to be responsible).
(4)
The following statement must (without being qualified or commented upon by anything else on the voting paper) appear on every voting paper— .
“If you take part in a strike or other industrial action, you may be in breach of your contract of employment.”.

see
Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992

and
http://www.england-legislation.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1992/ukpga_19920052_en_13#pt5-pb3-l1g226
snow conditions
Wayne wrote:
The gist of BA claim this afternoon is that the question on the voting paper did NOT authorise a strike (see section 229/2b) . Industrial Action is NOT legal strike unless the question contain the very specific wording contained in 229/4

Ah, my understanding is the thrux of BA's claim is that some of the members balloted were ineligible because they were no longer under the employ of BA, as per the BBC report here. Although the more reasons for the strike being illegal the better, as far as my (rather biased) opinion is concerned!
ski holidays
mfj197 Yep – you’re right, just reread all the stuff.
I think (me knowing sod all about the law BTW) this will revolve around whether the union balloted people/members it was “reasonable” for them (the union) to believe that could take part in some form of industrial action at BA.
As Maggy T got rid of secondary action I “think” (though may be wrong) that this would/should only include employees of BA.

Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992 - section 227 - Entitlement to vote in ballot
(1) Entitlement to vote in the ballot must be accorded equally to all the members of the trade union who it is reasonable at the time of the ballot for the union to believe will be induced to take part or, as the case may be, to continue to take part in the industrial action in question, and to no others.
(2) The requirement in subsection (1) shall be taken not to have been satisfied if any person who was a member of the trade union at the time when the ballot was held and was denied entitlement to vote in the ballot is induced by the union to take part or, as the case may be, to continue to take part in the industrial action.
ski holidays
It's looking like my girlfriend will not be coming home for Christmas, she is due to leave Brisbane with BA on Dec 24th and arrive at Heathrow 5am Christmas day.

Well done cabin crew, you have properly ruined our Christmas.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 16-12-09 16:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I think they should just make striking illegal ... How ironic it would be if they couldn't get to the talks at 15:00 GMT because of the snow today!

Sorry to hear of your difficulties HellBent.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy