Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BA staff vote for strike action at Christmas / New Year

Poster: A snowHead
Which is rather annoying seeing as we'd booked to fly out to Geneva on the 24th, back on the 1st! We'd be happy driving instead apart from the fact we've already booked (and paid for) the hire car at Geneva!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8411214.stm
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mfj197 we're in the same boat although we're not due to fly back until the 10th Jan. What have you decided to do?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can we have some more threads running on this subject - I mean we've only got 3 running at the same time...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The more the merrier, less people on the slopes, what better way to bring christmas cheer?

If you really wnat to come just get in the car and drive.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mine was first!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Actually you can check your rental contract, most contract would have a Standard Force Majeure clause, a British Airways strike may constitute a Force Majeure, although in your favour in this case.
I have no expertise in a court of law, but there are thousands of wiki lawyers on this forum, who have nothing better to do than give you their worthless opinions.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Unfortunately I'm not sure that a BA strike would count as Force Majeure, although I'd be happy to be proved wrong. The car rental conditions certainly stipulate they accept no responsibility for, and will not be held liable in respect of any "loss, damage, alterations, delays or changes arising from civil strife, industrial dispute, including air traffic control disputes, terrorist activity, natural and nuclear disaster, fire or adverse weather conditions, unavoidable technical problems with transport, closure or congestion of airports or ports, cancellation of scheduled airlines and financial failure of airlines". Yes, I know that they would say that and that it doesn't affect Force Majeure, but they are fairly definite.

How are other people who may be affected handling their contingency plans? I remember being told of at least one snowHead making a backup booking on Eurotunnel.

bertie bassett, Nadenoodlee, this thread was the first one.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
geetee, don't know yet! As it is not certain the flights will be cancelled it may actually be difficult to make alternative arrangements, as should the flight actually run on time then BA could say we were not disadvantaged.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nixmap,
Quote:

I have no expertise in a court of law, but there are thousands of wiki lawyers on this forum, who have nothing better to do than give you their worthless opinions

Got your forms in to register as an employer in CH yet? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We've booked a Eurotunnel ticket just in case and we'll drive if we need to just like nixmap suggested.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nixmap wrote:
but there are thousands of wiki lawyers on this forum, who have nothing better to do than give you their worthless opinions.

They may be worthless but at least they are free
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BergenBergen yep, I agree. You get exactly what you pay for! Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Any legal thoughts on this? Who bears the brunt of consequential costs associated with the strike action, such as hire cars and the like?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Insurers, or, depending on the policy, the customer.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JUst out of interest, I did a route plan from the hoth system( West Midlands) to Val T on multi map and AA route planner they came out to a 15hr ish drive..... not to bad.
snow conditions
Quote:

We've booked a Eurotunnel ticket just in case and we'll drive if we need to

Quote:

to Val T on multi map and AA route planner they came out to a 15hr ish drive..... not to bad.

realise how straightforward it is and never bother with flying again Cool
latest report
Boris, 15hrs in a car - call it 20 with hold up's is along time but lets compare it to the flights.

Travel to Manc/LvL 1hr
Park and ride .5
Airport time 2
Flight 2
GVA .5
Wait for lardy bus 2
Lardy bus 3

total 11hrs

So just on the time Flight still wins. I would think it would win on Cost unless you have a full car and then the comfort factor drops to below even spending 2 hours on a GVA plastic seat.
ski holidays
Boris, but then all the hotels en route start filling up - keep the masses flying I say Little Angel
latest report
mfj197, if your flight is cancelled, would you be able to reclaim the cost of your car on your travel insurance or credit card? From what I've seen BA should be announcing their revised schedule later today - FWIW I hope you don't get a 'your flight's been cancelled' text.
snow report
Dwarf Vader, Just time alone then flying will win - but I have done it 12 hours door to door

With 5 of us (2 adults & 3 kids) I think we just shade it on cost

When driving there we leave Friday and have an overnight stop - for me this means big shop in valley to save cash, get skis, lessons and passes sorted in quiet shops, be in apartment with wine well before all the transfer buses arrive.

Plus of course no luggage issues

Whatever suits of course - but for me will always be driving
latest report
sarep, you may well have a point. The hire car was booked on a credit card and I do have travel insurance, although haven't got the documentation here with me. Thanks for the thoughts!

I've driven a fair few times and it's only about 11 to 12 hours door-to-door (from Guildford to Verchaix, an hour past Geneva). Flew last season and are planning on doing so 3 times this season, but only the Christmas one is with BA (thankfully!). Primary reasons for flying last year were due to time and to not having a suitable car (only 2 seats, not big enough for skis), but this year it would be a possibility.
latest report
I would have thought credit card or travel insurance would cover the hire car cost.

Fyi BA were talking about prioritising flights with domestic flights taking the hit so it may be that the flight is not cancelled??
snow report
There's a lot of ranting going on on Unite's Facebook page. Looks like a good place to offload any stress about impending cancellations!! Laughing *warning* there's a whole lot of swearing going on!

Unite on Facebook
snow report
For those of you not on facebook and so can’t have a good look at the Unite Union’s page.

Here is the (totally unaltered) 1st few (off “lots”) messages that have been left for the union’s leadership to have a look at.

Enjoy.

This strike is Shameful and disgraceful over the most important time of the year to families

I know this is somewhat of an opptimistic outlook but they aint 100% going on strike yet! Maybe just maybe something will be sorted out

Scum bags

If you are tying to get the public to back you on this you are going about it the wrong way

Bravo BA cabin crew - you have shattered a 10 year old's dream Christmas abroad. I earn half what you do and am a single mother yet have managed to scrimp and save to provide this trip just had my mother on the phone in tears, worried she wont see her family in sweden over christmas

am booked to Fly to Brazil on Xmas Eve to see my children who I haven't seen since July

Me and my fiance are getting married on Sunday, and supposed to be flying out to NY on Christmas Eve for our honeymoon

can empathise with the 14,000 BA cabin crew feeling the pinch – we
all are, but refine your approach to this problem and mature your
delivery of industrial action. 12 days to write a suicide note – surely
the longest in history. You complete and total bas- tards.

Unite,such a brilliant name,you have united all the other airlines in trying to fleece those of us trying to book elsewhere,but the last thing you want to do is unite BA and your members customers with their loved ones.Change the name to '''Can't be bothered to do our jobs.Unite'''

You are just going ruin your employer, make all your collegues lose their jobs when BA is gonna have to close and Be Nice please! up the Christmas vacation of plenty of people that are working all year probably harder than you... Morrons

ladies' front bottoms! Sort yourselves out you selfish idiots!

Take a look at one of two of the people who's lives/christmas you have ruined

I was just wondering if Unite should change its slogan to - working hard to force Britain back to the 70's,

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 15-12-09 14:42; edited 2 times in total
latest report
geetee, The discussions page certaily needs a language warning Shocked
snow report
Boredsurfing,
yep - I looked down the page a bit and decided not to cut-n-paste some of the more colourful stuff - this is a family snowHead site afterall
snow report
Wayne, Thanks for that as I cannot do FB at work. What are the responses from Unite workers to these rants?
snow conditions
Dwarf Vader,
Basically they are saying the 9/10th of the argument is not known to the public so we can't comment as we don't know the full story.

There are some "very" angry people on there. Sorry to say it, but it's quite funny in a Christians to the lions sort of way Little Angel

The more polite posting have a general theme. If the waitresses and waiters don’t like working at BA and getting way above the going rate for the job, then leave.

2 of the more (snowheadable) posts

According to your site, "Unite promotes fairness and justice for working people both at work and in society as a whole." How exactly does ruining the christmas holidays of over a million people promote fairness in society?

You ought to be ashamed of yourselves! Exploiting a key time in the festive season to not only ruin the Christmases of thousands of families and travelers but to greedily fulfill your own needs. This country faces the worst recession since WW2 and you ignorant, inconsiderate and obstructive people choose to sink the ...country further by asking for more when all those around make do on less. This country will crumble at the hands of the UNIONS and their gung-ho attitude to employee rights. For your consideration the average new Infantry Soldier in the British Army earns just £16,681.20 the current average pay for Junior BA cabin crew on short haul flights (lowest pay I could find) is £26,000. You disgust me!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 15-12-09 15:01; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dwarf Vader wrote:
Wayne, Thanks for that as I cannot do FB at work. What are the responses from Unite workers to these rants?

The usual head in the sand rubbish from one or two union freaks..e.g.

he excuse of recession is rolled out time and time again - what would you do Adam if your boss cut your pay? Nothing? You have to stand and fight sometimes and the BA crew are brave and have thought this through.

a bit of education in economics makes you wonderful doesn't it. Market rate is so misleading and is used to drag down pay - so Mr student stop sneering at the attempts of workers to stand up for themselves. It takes courage to strike, real courage and I salute the BA workers who haven't rushed into this but have reluctantly decided it is all they can do to save their pay and conditions.

What do certain persons posting here know about the inner workings of BA, their dealings with Unite, and the close detail of how this dispute has panned out over the last 9 months? Very little I imagine - because there's always a virtual press black-out until it's finally time to press the buttons of ignorant, reactio...nary people like yourselves. They are not paid enough - simple as that - it's the same at Virgin (cheers Branson) and RyanAir (thanks O'Leary). Best direct your energies at the 'top brains' (bankers) currently leaving the country in their droves so we're told. THEY PUT YOU INTO RECESSION

Virgin and Ryan Air pay is FAR too low to be called fair or adequate to live on. O'Leary is well known for his anti-democratic behaviour with regard to unions - but he gets away with it because he's got cash. It's the same old story being rewritten. And it will get worse unless people stand up and fight

Most of the rest is too fruity to reproduce...

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 15-12-09 15:02; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Wayne wrote:

Basically they are saying the 9/10th of the argument is not known to the public so we can't comment as we don't know the full story.

I always find this argument a bit odd when the company has a direct dealing with the general public as opposed to a company that selling goods.
Surely they should be working to inform the public as to their grievances and try to get the paying customers on their side.

Or maybe they think the “hidden” reasons will not make any friends as well.
ski holidays
Dwarf Vader,
Don't take my word for it. To put it politely, I'm not in favour of unions. Never been in one, never will. If I have a problem where I happen to be working I'll sort it out myself, or leave and work somewhere esle. So, this said, I will leave everyone to make up their own minds about the rights and wrongs of this situation.

Ya never know, maybe it will all work out in the end
snow report
Wayne, That was a general comment I was making and not to you as the poster. My thoughts are the same as yours.
snow report
BA have been sucessful in pursuing the legal route in previous strikes - hope yet this may not go ahead
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8414306.stm
snow report
When they force BA under and lose their jobs, they won't find new ones too quickly in an already struggling industry
snow conditions
I have just read a senior cabin crew recieves just over £56,000 a year. Yes £56,000.

Yes I suppose it is asking too much of them to serve tea and help the customers.

Stupid stupid people.

Not going to look good on the CV when they`re job hunting.
snow conditions
susieski, your right..................pus the normal wage for a waitress is £5.80 an hour........................ Laughing
snow conditions
I'd have said the average waitress has to deal with more complex orders than "Chicken or beef?" and probably doesn't get to stay all expenses paid in top end hotels with plenty of days off as standard.
snow conditions
Wayne, where did you find it - there wasn't much going on the discussions page I looked at, just two guys having a slanging match
latest report
Shimmy Alcott, you need to look at the wall postings.
snow report
some colourful language on the wall postings. What bets on air rage against cabin crew at some point.?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy