Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pound gaining on the Euro - V slowly

Poster: A snowHead
Or both
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wayne, Couldn't agree with you more.

All banks - without exception - have no ethical motivation or sense of responsibility whatsoever, however much they try to convince you with rose tinted advertising. They will screw you for all they can, however they can, when they can and they get away with it, because... where you gonna go? To another bank? They're all the same. The business model that banks were originally built on is still in place 300 years later.

They'll give you an umbrella when the sun is shining and demand its return if it starts raining.

They are all profiteering b'stards. (wanted to use a stronger term but it appeared as 'ladies bottom')

Rant over.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wayne wrote:
Regardless of how much anyone says differently we all know that this stuff was brought about by banks lending cash for mortgages to people who could afford em. Why? Profit – absolutely no other reason. Just that, spivs looking for a way to make a buck.

And before you say well that how the world works – yes it does, but most business don’t enter into contract with people they know can’t afford it pay for their end of the deal, with the certain knowledge that someone else will bale them out when the pack of cards tumbles.

Banks (the people who work in banks) caused these problems and everyone knows this – except, it seems, the bankers themselves.

I am sorry but that is just wrong, it has been proven on snowHeads that Gordon Brown was the cause of everything wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jzBun, actually you are quite right, I have seen some shocking decisions by banks in withdrawing or not extending credit to companies, forcing them to fail and then the bank simply sells the assets at 50p in the pound so that they can get their loan investment back - all without being too bothered that their 'client' has lost 50p in the £ and been made bankrupt. The banks were a big part of all of this and are now carrying out some sharp practice to regain their losses at the expense of fundamentally sound businesses.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ahh so what you are saying is...

Banks are unethical because they only lend for profit.
And if the profit is taken away because they lend to people who can't afford it, they know that they will be bailed out. So they lend to people who can't afford it.

And therefore the banks (and by extension the bankers) are to blame for all our ills.

So anyone who over-borrowed, over-spent, didn't consider the consequences, and gambled that it would all be fine, without a moments thought for their own personal responsibility for their own financial situation, is completely absolved of any blame whatsoever because the nasty banks advertised it so.

That's the problem these days, no-one (and yes, I include bankers) takes ANY personal responsibility for ANYTHING that they can blame on others.

OK, it may sound like a race to the bottom, but don't assuage your own guilt (or that of the reckless if you consider yourself well versed in risk analysis) by apportioning blame without admitting it takes two to deal - one to offer, and one accept.

Those now unable to pay back their debts (yes: THEIR debts) have clearly not understood the risks - by which I mean both components, likelihood and impact - have not considered a 'plan B', and are just as culpable as the bankers.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I get fed up with people excusing an uncontrolled emotional response to the "I want more, and I think I deserve more, so I'm going to have more" culture we now live in by blaming "the bankers".

(And if you lost a few grand on a holiday that you didn't get because someone else went bust - there is a degree of sympathy. But what have you really lost? - a holiday.
If as a result you now can't afford your rent or repayments on the house, then guess what: you shouldn't have been spending the money on a holiday in the first place. )

</rant> (I think...)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jzBun, and it is the banks fault that you don't own a raincoat?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JimW wrote:
Ahh so what you are saying is...

Banks are unethical because they only lend for profit.
And if the profit is taken away because they lend to people who can't afford it, they know that they will be bailed out. So they lend to people who can't afford it.

And therefore the banks (and by extension the bankers) are to blame for all our ills.

So anyone who over-borrowed, over-spent, didn't consider the consequences, and gambled that it would all be fine, without a moments thought for their own personal responsibility for their own financial situation, is completely absolved of any blame whatsoever because the nasty banks advertised it so.

That's the problem these days, no-one (and yes, I include bankers) takes ANY personal responsibility for ANYTHING that they can blame on others.

OK, it may sound like a race to the bottom, but don't assuage your own guilt (or that of the reckless if you consider yourself well versed in risk analysis) by apportioning blame without admitting it takes two to deal - one to offer, and one accept.

Those now unable to pay back their debts (yes: THEIR debts) have clearly not understood the risks - by which I mean both components, likelihood and impact - have not considered a 'plan B', and are just as culpable as the bankers.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I get fed up with people excusing an uncontrolled emotional response to the "I want more, and I think I deserve more, so I'm going to have more" culture we now live in by blaming "the bankers".

(And if you lost a few grand on a holiday that you didn't get because someone else went bust - there is a degree of sympathy. But what have you really lost? - a holiday.
If as a result you now can't afford your rent or repayments on the house, then guess what: you shouldn't have been spending the money on a holiday in the first place. )

</rant> (I think...)

Completely agree on the point about people being unwilling to shoulder responsibility and being eager to blame others for their own bad choices (don`t get me going !) - but - that`s a slightly one sided analysis. I think the point Wayne is making is that the banks deliberately and systematically exploited large numbers of people - people they knew could never realistically repay their loans - and did so for the sole purpose of making a profit. It`s not the desire to make a profit that`s objectionable (quite the reverse) so much what appears to have been a fairly cold blooded decision to exploit those suscpetible to exploitation simply to obtain/increase profits (sorry if I`ve got you wrong Wayne !).

Of course you`re quite right to say that people should carry out proper risk analsyses. However, they (we) rarely do. If a banks offers someone a large amount of money at very attractive rates then there`s going to be a big take up. The banks appreciate this. I suppose you could say that`s not the bank`s problem. Their raison d`etre is to make money (for themselves) and that`s exactly what they were doing. But, I suppose what I find objectionable was the desie to generate profit by exploiting peoples` frailties.

It also stick in the craw to now receive moral lectures from the self-same banks that, not so long ago, were falling over themselves to hand over large amounts of cash to the improvident snd imprudent.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JimW, a local business man had assets of £200 million a few years ago (largely commercial property) and his loan account was $80 million for which he was servicing the interest payments (bank's profit). Property values fell and the bank instigated a revaluation of the asstes by its 'friendly' valuer and those assets were revalued recently at £120 million - this meant that he breached his banking lending covenant so the bank required him to repay his £80 million loan facility (which he could not for obvious reasons) which effectively meant the bank took over the assets. The bank it seems has set up a sale to a 'friendly' purchaser in the sum of £80 million (the debt). Effectively a company has picked up the assets for £80 million that were recently worth £200 million (they will rise to that in a few years in accordance with the recognised cycle of peaks and troughs of property valuation) or if you like a fire sale valuation of £120 million or probably £150 million of assets if disposed of over a normal period required for such sales.

This is what I alluded to above and is very bad banking practice and a way for the banks to reduce their book debt without giving a poo-poo about the rights or wrongs of it

edit - sorry forgot to mention the friendly purchaser was the bank itself - RBS (or a spin-off) http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/news/Property-tycoon-devastated-business-empire-collapses/article-2566368-detail/article.html

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 17-11-10 21:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wayne,
Quote:
Can I borrow your 20:20 hindsight glasses for a while?

Absolutely no need -It said this loud and clear at the time: Moreover when I'm wrong I say so: I might even be able to drag some quotes up from the time if it helps prove it, but that really is besides the point as I've no problem admitting mistakes at all -and I've made quite a few, but on the plus side the right ones, at least so far stack up a lot heavier: For the purposes of transparency and consistency:
See: http://blogs.reuters.com/uknews/2010/02/16/is-barclays-paying-its-bankers-too-much/#comments AND http://baselinescenario.com/2009/04/04/ben-bernanke-more-important-than-the-g20-summit/ regarding both making mistakes and admitting them publicly and strategy regarding profitable suppliers whether they are ski companies, banks or plumbers.

If I had 20:20 hindsight I would not have bought Northern Rock shares or have Sold Northern Rock Puts either - this was an expensive double mistake, but when you own something you generally end up wearing it when things go wrong. This gives me the right to moan about it afterwards too ;o(

I’ve also had customers come in trying to haggle out of outright forward contracts that were initially loaded very much in their favour to support their profitable business only to complain that market rates have subsequently moved and they would be better off dealing at current rates. Quite true, but they would never have ordered the goods/raw materials or made any money at all, and besides every guy in town who was able to deal backwards would be driving a different car and married to a different wife: This always did the trick and contracts were always completed as agreed. Dealing backwards is a lovely idea but it’s not reality.

I fully agree with many of your comments regarding low margin lending to people that cannot afford to repay: This is precisely why I disagree with the moronic Vince Cable who pre-election urged banks to increase lending at low margins. The maths, pre-crisis required around a 2.80-2.90% credit margin over and above cost-of-funds for banks to break even after admin and bad debts on a historical basis: Therefore most mortgage portfolios should yield >3% over and above C-O-F to ensure that they maintain their profitable git status: Lenders who lend at rates lower than this will end up with losses and simply recreate the credit crisis all over again. The difference here is the people at middle management and lower is most unlikely to understand the problems or be sufficiently influential to alter strategy. I would prefer to use an alternative terms to banker as although I worked in banks for around 30 years or so, I met very few people that would truly qualify for the title and I'm arrogant enough to think that I finally became one around 10 years ago when I warned my own board about impending credit losses in a particularly challenging market. We cut back business avoiding many of the problems faced by our greedy competitors chasing profits in a true Vince Cable like manner. One of the reasons I’m no longer in banking is that I always told people the bad news in advance and just sometimes they really didn’t want to know or hear it, hence when a guy very, very near the top of a bank tells you he’s important, maybe he has a point. At the time I took the view if he had to tell me that he was THE BSD, then he really wasn’t that important. I was wrong then too, and the rest is history! If only I'd had 20:20 foresight!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
scotia, If you have a raincoat you probably wouldn't need an umbrella (metaphor in overdrive now).

JimW I'm not referring to mortgages (I agree with what you say) I'm referring to business and the imbalance of power. I hear time and again that a bank has agreed to a small loan/overdraft (maybe £10k) for a small business but only if the owner of the business secures the loan against his/her property. Most owners, wisely, said no but it just illustrates the banks' attitude to lending and their no-risk strategy. If the business they lend to does well they get a healthy chunk of interest; if it goes belly-up they get the house.

If the banks were up front about their lending policies I'd have no problem. We all work to make money. But they don't. They lie. Banks spend many millions of pounds trying to persuade us that they care: they don't. If you're an SME they don't give a shite as long as they make money. It makes me want to throw-up when I see the endless 'Business banking' adverts extolling the virtues of the ethical, caring, expert, matey business advisor. They're not business advisers, they're known as profit centres.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jonty, You make some valid points- there was a book written by a guy called Ron Chernow (I think) called death of a banker- It's a historical look at real realtionship banking annd the story about John Pierpont Morgna the founder of JP Morgan and deatils how he founded his bank and empire on realtionships. Too many banks now rely upon credit scoring and points totals rather than seriously analysing whether a deal/puchse/transaction is actaully feasable. The French, far from perfect do a lot of theri banking based upon cashflows -i9f the cashflows do not work they will not lend. This is a good place to start Cool

Personally I blame a herd instinct for banks to over compete, under margin and over charge together with a suicidal tendency to pander to city analysts who who seek short term gains at the cost of long term performance.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jzBun, rayscoops, I do hear what you are saying , and yes I don't want to come across as a defender of certain immoral practices of the banks. Lying isn't a good place to start any relationship.

But tell me: why did example (1) have a loan of $80m in the first place that he couldn't service? He took a risk - perhaps he'd even calculated the odds of the economic circumstances turning against him, and the likely consequences. So when it hit the fan, time to pony up.

Now I'm not going to disagree that the rules for lending of the money were all one sided - but I would argue that that was a known factor before he signed the deal.

We can't have it both ways - if the banks lend money without risk assement and to all and sundry, they get it in the neck when the defaults happen and are accused of being cheating lying scum.
If they DON'T lend the money because they assess the risk at a certain price (and the business/individual they are lending to probably asseses it differently and says no thanks, the price is too high) then they are accused of holding back growth potential and opportunities. And being cheating lying scum.

Where I think they do get it very wrong is the fact that they vaciliate between extremes - either lending to everyone, or to no-one: I agree with Jivebaby that most 'bankers' now are nothing of the sort, and rely on generic and inappropriate scoring sheets to make decisions rather than have any relationship or knowledge of risk based assement. "Computer says nahh".

And so they just do what they are told, under whatever rules are put in place at the time.

But that still doesn't mean caveat emptor no longer applies, and one would hope that having seen what happens when you borrow without planning, people will be more circumspect, and only spend what they can earn, or risk what they can lose.

And on that note, can I borrow half a million to build a runway for the pig squadron? wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JimW wrote:

But tell me: why did example (1) have a loan of $80m in the first place that he couldn't service?

Is that what was said in the previous post or are you twisting it a little to suit your argument?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jzBun wrote:

All banks - without exception - have no ethical motivation or sense of responsibility whatsoever, however much they try to convince you with rose tinted advertising. They will screw you for all they can, however they can, when they can and they get away with it, because... where you gonna go? To another bank? They're all the same. The business model that banks were originally built on is still in place 300 years later.

They'll give you an umbrella when the sun is shining and demand its return if it starts raining.

They are all profiteering b'stards. (wanted to use a stronger term but it appeared as 'ladies bottom')

Rant over.

I find this a little naive. Of course banks are profiteering, they succeed in a capitalist, not socialist, environment. To believe that banks are not profiteering is incredibly naive and borderline stupid.

Banks are no different to corporations.

Doesn't make it 'acceptable' though.

With regards to banks and small credits/loans. I recently got a small credit from the bank with no questions asked. Wasn't even interested in my sales figures, past or forecasted. In fact.. they just were interested that my assets were worth roughly the amount of credit I wanted. They also didn't ask for any proof that I had the assets. I found it pretty weird to be honest... Being given money on the premise that it was secured on assets that I may have with no questions asked.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Any views on the pound vs. euro guys? rolling eyes
snow conditions
sideslip1, that's what comes of editing your posts during typing - what I wrote to start with was " .... couldn't service when the going got tough".

what I guess I meant was: It appears from Rayscoops post that yon businessman hadn't factored into his loan of 80m that the asset he was borrowing against may reduce in value, and hence may have caused him to breach his convenant.

I.e. a simple pause, and check the small print "hmm what happens if the banks think my assets aren't worth what they are now?"

- and of course we don't know the details, so it is hard to say if the so-called 'bank friendly' valuer was accurate (in which case the bank had every right to protect its shareholders - that's why they set the deal up that way) or if he was being overly pessimistic, then raising 80m from the sale of part of the estate would have proven the point (and yes, I know, it isn't that simple to arrange a sale ...)

On a lighter note:
The old saw used to be: "If you owe the bank a thousand pounds, you've got a problem. If you owe the bank a million pounds, they've got a problem".
They seemed to have factored that out these days...
snow conditions
rayscoops,
Quote:
I am sorry but that is just wrong, it has been proven on snowHeads that Gordon Brown was the cause of everything wink

I fully agree with your sentiment howeve even I wouldn't blame everything on Gordon Brown. I think Darling and Cable must take some of the flak
Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
latest report
Quote:
I find this a little naive. Of course banks are profiteering, they succeed in a capitalist, not socialist, environment. To believe that banks are not profiteering is incredibly naive and borderline stupid.

It's far more naive and borderline stupid to believe that the banks are operating in a free market. They are not. They are operating a cartel. Every individual and business NEEDS a bank. You simply HAVE to have a bank account to function in society. The banks are fully aware of this and use it to their advantage. There is no real competition and no easy route for any new operator to enter the market. The banks pretty much do what they want until the toothless FSA intervene.

If you'd read my post after the one quoted you'd have noticed that I am not averse to profit making - I work in the highly competitive market of business telecoms.

I'll give you one example of a highly unscrupulous and cynical bank tactic. Barclays were stung by the reduction in charges they were able to levy on customers' accounts if a DD was returned (£35.00 down to £12.00). So they quietly introduced a 'short term' overdraft facility of £150 on ALL current accounts. However, if you used the overdraft facility Barclays would charge you £22.00 per day for the privilage (max. charge £66.00 in any one month). Not a charge but a usage fee.

Now Barclays claim they informed all customers of this facility. However what was not made clear was that this was an opt-out facility not an opt-in. i.e. You got it automatically unless you contacted Barclays to say you didn't want it. This little clause was hidden in small print.

Hundreds of thousands of customers were caught out by this but according to to the banking ombudsmen it was a legitimate business practice. I can imagine a group of Barclays execs sitting around a table discussing how they could maintain their charges revenue and coming up with this gem.
ski holidays
JimW, he could service the loan and never failed to make the interest payments, his company was making up to £1million profit after all costs including interest payments - the bank pulled the plug because he broke his specifically set banking covenent 'debt to equity' ratio not because he failed to service his debt. The bank employed its own surveyor firm to value the property portfolio and these guys grossly undervalue the stock because they do not value it on the same basis that it was valued when the loan was originally agreed - they value it on the basis of a fire sale i.e. selling it immediately rather than through a prolonged marketing period of 12 - 18 months; trying to sell anything at the bottom of the cycle of a market is virtually impossible and I expect that his portfolio would now put him back in favour with his banking covenants, if he still had not been shafted. The commercial property market is debt heavy and that is why he had such a large loan - you can not buy office blocks cheaply and it is a long term (20 year +) business and the borrowing mechanisms reflect this.

The bank itself bought all the assets back from the receiver ffs !

In simple terms it is like a bank saying it will lend 70% value for some one to buy a house, some one borrows 60% but the house drops in value and the 'loan to value' ratio becomes 80%, the bank then says 'oh, you are only allowed to have a 70% mortgage so please pay off your loan or the difference and if you can not we will take you house and sell it for the loan value to one of our sister bank companies and you can carry the loss. House then increases in price back up to the 70%.

edit - it would not surprise me if half of the FTSE listed companies are (or have been recently) in breach of their banking covenants - especially the banks themselves !!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 18-11-10 9:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
MoodyFFS, no they are all too busy showing off! Laughing
latest report
MoodyFFS, +1
snow report
£ will rise against $ or Euro, then fall, then rise again, depending upon what happens with Pigs and QE in UK ans USA
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
edit - it would not surprise me if half of the FTSE listed companies are (or have been recently) in breach of their banking covenants - especially the banks themselves !!

this is almost certainly true and it sounds like your mate suffered from the old thing of "if you owe the bank £1m you have a problem; if you owe the bank £100m the bank has a problem."

banks have been going to great lengths to avoid putting their bigger property loans into default. if loans are "performing" it sits in a different place on their balance sheet and they therefore paint a healthier picture of their finances than would otherwise be the case
ski holidays
Here's an attempt to bring the thread back round...

Ray I have a certain amount of sympathy with the businessman you refer us to but the covenants are in place to protect the bank and both the bank and teh lender are clear about what these are. The bank will set a minimum loan to value ratio so that it can get its money back,if the market turns bad. The businessman will accept this LTV or he will reject it when considering the loan offer. The banking crisis began because banks started to believe Gordon Brown in that he had ended boom and bust and all we had now was boom, for ever more. Because the banks failed to address poor LTV ratios is why they ended up with toxic debts. The worst case of this, far, far worse than the housing crash in the US, is what has happened in Ireland. Typical house prices have fallen over 50% since 2008 and there are hundreds of new housing developments that lie empty and almost worthless. The same applies to commercial property.

How could this happen? Simple - joining the Euro resulted in a sudden halving of Ireland's interest rates. This meant that borrowers, especially mortgage borrowers, could afford to borrow much more for the same repayment cost. This fuelled sudden demand for property and caused huge property inflation. The increase in property prices caused people to speculate that the increases could be sustained and suddenly house prices became a way to make money. The problem was obvious to anyone looking at Ireland but the Irish government were powerless to control this bubble in prices as their interest rates were set by the ECB. A friend in Ireland saw his house increase in value from £50k to £250k in just under 4 years. He sold at the top of the market, rented and has now bought a very large house for just under £200k. This house is nearly three times the size of the one he sold.

The problem in the UK was also obvious but in an attempt to show the economy was stable, Gordon Brown removed property prices from the inflation figure calculations. By doing so, he tied the Bank of England's hands and prevented them from curbing property price inflation. They could not set interest rates at a level that did curb property price rises without choking the 2% inflation target it was set for none property inflation.

How this affects the Euro is that when governments have massive debts (Ireland's banks need baling out to the tune of Ireland's entire GDP), one way to reduce the debt is to allow inflation to rise. This causes tax income to rise and when worked forward can reduce the debt repayment period by tens of years. At 10% inflation (not that any would go that far) the value of savings halves in 4 years. Exchange rates track the value of money in a country by the demand there is for investors or traders to buy that currency. If the government prints money, there is over supply and the price will be cheap for buyers. So as an investor, seeking a safe haven for your money (imagine a pension fund rather than an old lady with £50k), you will look for a currency that has a stable money supply, low inflation and a credible banking system that will let you have your money back when you want it.

And if you thought Ireland was bust, I strongly advise you not to look at the books of Portugal and Spain.

Right now, the Euro is looking much less of a safe haven than it used to be and proportionally a less safe haven than the UK. So the £ is rising against the €.
ski holidays
rayscoops, thanks for that facetious response... look forward to your next one! Laughing
snow conditions
MoodyFFS, all true though wink but seriously things are very volatile and no one know what will happen with the PIGS economies/debt and therefore the respective currency movements, the daily/weekly/monthly economic data that will be coming out and all other factors and all of this makes it a lottery at the moment. When Greece was bailed out the Euro strengthened, if others are bailed out the Euro may weaken due to bad sentiment but it may strengthen if Germany stands up and says we are all in this together and we will support the Euro and Eurozone. Until we know what the respective countries will do and how the others will react to it then it is virtually impossible to make a prediction, hence the yo-yoing of the the exchange rate as the dealers/countries push the market they way they want it to go for short term speculative gains based upon their futures bets etc
ski holidays
The Euro has always been the Deutsch Mark in Disguise and for that reason it will not fail & will remain the Worlds 2nd Reserve Currency.

Ireland will be bailed out, Portugal & Spain if necessary but they will have to abide by German Fiscal Rules.

I personally hold little Euro s, I keep ultra save in Swiss Francs Very Happy
snow conditions
bar shaker, in simple terms the guy over extended himself and got what he deserved and he has nothing to quibble about as he knew full well what he had signed up for, but the reality is that the bank could have shown more flexibility and he would have been able to trade through this exceptionally difficult time - he had a profitable business with assets that exceeded his liabilities. What annoys me is that the bank itself bought those assets at a reduced rate from the receiver !
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

What annoys me is that the bank itself bought those assets at a reduced rate from the receiver !

Thats standard banking practice isnt it?
But in my sector the market has bitten back, lots of those boarded up pubs nightclubs and hotels belong to the banks and it's costing them dearly to keep their 'assets' secure, waterproof etc etc
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, not quite sure to be honest, they normally de-facto take over the company/debt to mitigate their loss but in this case they dumped the debt (£30million owed to creditors who received 26p in the pound from what was left) and bought the assets cheaply.
snow report
MoodyFFS wrote:
Any views on the pound vs. euro guys? rolling eyes

what about you ? any view yourself ? I read back a few pages but could not see any contribution ?

Consider the circumstances of the small travel company Wayne mentioned and the bigger company I mentioned that have gone bust as a result the banks' reactions to their defaults and compare them with Ireland/Spain/Portugal/Greece and consider what will happen to the creditors of that country and the repective currency if they go bust. What we are talking about is all relevant to this thread if you think about it in the wider sense.

Alternatively I could have said £ will rise against $ or Euro, then fall, then rise again, depending upon what happens with Pigs and QE in UK and USA but that might be considered as facetious.

Even more alternatively you might want to contribute yourself to the debate ?
ski holidays
new regs will make banks ever more mean when it comes to loans criterea.. capital requirements, gaurantess LTV's are all going to add ro the cost of finance,, there is another batch of regs coming from the states and the e.u. next year, they wont be cutting costs Shocked ...... the pigs cannot survive in the euro .. they should have defaulted and devalued when iceland did .. icelands economy will out perfrom all the pigs in years to come.. they are merely delaying the inevitable. the germans cant do QE or deval for obvious historical reason.. one size does not, and cannot fit all.. this will drag on and on but its fundamentally flawed.. the longer they prop it up the more it will cost ..
ski holidays
rayscoops, totally agree.

CANV CANVINGTON, and you too Canv.

Hmmm, no arguements there then.
ski holidays
near the 1.18 spot
snow conditions
Around the 1.185 mark at the moment - so the Irish bale out made no different to anything.

More interesting is that the Germans are now saying they can afford to bale out the ECB "only until 2013 and only as long as Spain or Italy do require intervention"
hmmmmmmm - cheap ski hols are "maybe" on the way back
snow report
Not so sure about that, the Euro seems to be happily falling against the Dollar, but the confidence in the Pound doesn't seem to be quite so strong, hence the slow recovery against the Euro - seems to have stalled at 1.18
ski holidays
Tourist rates seem to range from €1.10 to €1.15 to the pound, depending on where you go. The PO online says €1.15, yet in one of their high street branches today they were only offering €1.10 Puzzled
ski holidays
Currently at 1.17 with my bank, trigger point for transactions is 1.25, should hit that by Thursday next week.
latest report
rayscoops, sure although I don't know too much about it, hence my interest in the thread... couldn't see how all the arguing and posturing about the ethical or unethical nature of the banking sector was helping much...

however big bad news from Europe doesn't seem to make a huge impression on the pound vs. euro rate, although by huge i mean more than a few euro cents - it would appear that big bad news, is better than big unknown news...
snow report
MoodyFFS, most on here, expecially me, do not know much either wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy