Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calling Sella Ronda fans.

Poster: A snowHead
k1orange,

Pretty impressive. As I am out there with my wife and two daughters, any chance I had of competeting is non-existent. However I might sneak off on my own to try and at least have one competitive day. Incidentally, has anyone worked out if the system counts the Hidden Valley run or just the return to the Lagazuio lift ??
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Now what is the record for a 6 day lift pass. Here are my stats.....

148 lifts
49,886 mt
256km

Is that a record?

Might be but my stats dont include the off piste, and the fact I snaked down each piste from side to side - which, oh, must have double the recorded Km Smile Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
k1orange wrote:
Now what is the record for a 6 day lift pass. Here are my stats.....

148 lifts
49,886 mt
256km

Is that a record?

This season?

Oh well, it knew my reign wouldn't last long! Well done!

You will have to disclose your serial number though, not that we don't believe you......... wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
dsoutar, I'm hoping that if you catch the drag at Armentarola next, it'll count the full length, otherwise I've been robbed! Confused
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You're right I couldn't record the off piste days and getting caught in an avalanche. I was away with Admin so he can verify my stats. This was recorded last week.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

You're right I couldn't record the off piste days and getting caught in an avalanche. I was away with Admin so he can verify my stats. This was recorded last week.

Impressive stats with a gubbed back mid week???
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
scotabroad wrote:
Quote:

Impressive stats with a gubbed back mid week???

The plot thickens, think we are gonna need that serial number to count !?! Confused
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've come to the conclusion I won't be abl to match that for a week but I will have a jolly good stab at the daily record which must be less than 60km ? If not, we'll need evidence !
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I know where I am going wrong now. I had wrongly thought it was about the scenery, ambience and food wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
you fool wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Here is the proof you need for the none believers amoungst you.

203 - 44254
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
k1orange wrote:
Here is the proof you need for the none believers amoungst you.

203 - 44254

I promise I believed you all along. Little Angel

Very impressive, you covered a lot of ground, amazing you can cover 40km just playing around above Canazei.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm off to the physio tonight as my back is still hurting me. I haven't been able to stand up straight, which does improve technique as it forces you to lean forwards. At least there is a plus to been injured.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman,

It is snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anybody stayed at the Hotel Corona in Selva (www.hotel-corona.it)? Given the excellent snow levels we are taking a chance on an Easter break in the Sella Ronda area. This hotel has a good location and availability, but only in their small rooms. I understand it is attached to a bar which has a lively reputation, anyone been in and know whether it is good and what the beer costs?
snow report
Seldom Seen Kid wrote:
Anybody stayed at the Hotel Corona in Selva (www.hotel-corona.it)? Given the excellent snow levels we are taking a chance on an Easter break in the Sella Ronda area. This hotel has a good location and availability, but only in their small rooms. I understand it is attached to a bar which has a lively reputation, anyone been in and know whether it is good and what the beer costs?

Hi we were there last year and weren't too happy. Food wasn't nice but rooms ok. About everyone in the hotel got sick with a stomach bug (most fluid poo-poo that ever got out of me)... There was only a bar open for everyone, so no quiet place to drink something after dinner. Quite a lot of noise at night when you're sleeping a the street side (drunk people coming from the bar underneath). Skiing location excellent though.
latest report
Seldom Seen Kid, Try staying accross the road at the hotel Stella. We chose it at sthe Corona was fully booked. Great value and did not have th noise problem.

The Corona is just a short crawl from the luislkeller though!!
snow report
bart_bdv, Sorry to hear about your bad experience and I hope it didn't affect the skiing. That's the last thing you need when you are miles from the nearest rifugio Shocked

Roy Hockley, Thanks for the advice. What is the Luislkeller like? Lively? expensive? Is that the bar attached to the Corona?
snow conditions
Seldom Seen Kid wrote:
bart_bdv, Sorry to hear about your bad experience and I hope it didn't affect the skiing. That's the last thing you need when you are miles from the nearest rifugio Shocked

Roy Hockley, Thanks for the advice. What is the Luislkeller like? Lively? expensive? Is that the bar attached to the Corona?

Well one day in bed and one day skiing from toilet to toilet... The luiskeller is right underneath the Corona. It is lively with people dancing around and unexpensive, but given my condition I wasn't much into drinking (which is rather rare).

What I didn't like in Selva though that it was very busy on the pistes, so this year we're going back to Corvara for some quieter skiing.
latest report
Quote:

Don't know about the Hotel Corona but have stayed at the Hotel Dolomie and strongly recommend it. Ski-in/out right at the bottom of the Ciampinoi with a small drag lift litteraly 2 steps from the door. Only a few metres from the Luislkeller which we used every night we were there (4 years ago).

http://www.dolomie.com
latest report
I am wondering if some "veterans" of Selva can tell me how long season normally lasts there? I am trying to plan my annual European skiing vacation and always wanted to try Selva. It seems like this year could be a good bet, but I will be able to go only second/third week of March. How are snow condition usually that time of a year? I have noticed that a lot of lodging are offering lower rates starting March 14. Is it any indication of "spring" season?
latest report
alex_sauvage, you could pm Sueski ( or contact her via www.simplydolomiti.com )who lives & works in Arabba. I was there a couple of weeks ago & if I remember rightly she said that for some years now the season has been good well into march - certainly late enough for me to be interested in a return visit !
If necessary she might be able to also help with accomodation, transfers, lift passes etc.
ski holidays
richardball, Thanks Looks a great hotel but only B&B which may be a snag. How was the eating out in Selva? Were there plenty of places to go at night?
snow report
We really enjoyed the eating out in Selva. We were a party of 8 (4 couples) and simply asked the hotel to recommend and book us a restaurant each night. They did a fantastic job. We used a small bar at the bottom of the slope next to the hotel for immediate apres ski and the Luisekeller for pre dinner drinks. Another thing about the Dolomie is that we could watch the ski show at night from the balcony of our room !
latest report
One other thing I should mention about the restaurants. One of our party is a particularly demanding (fussy ?) Italian and he persuaded two of the five restaurants we used to cook a specific dessert which was not on the menu - no problem for them and really good too. No more expensive than eating in UK - although the exchange rate was £1 = Eur 0.70 then !!!
snow report
Is there somewhere a list on the web with the best mountain restaurants on the Sella Ronda? Going there in 2 weeks and Im already planning the lunches...
snow report
alex_sauvage wrote:
I am wondering if some "veterans" of Selva can tell me how long season normally lasts there? I am trying to plan my annual European skiing vacation and always wanted to try Selva. It seems like this year could be a good bet, but I will be able to go only second/third week of March. How are snow condition usually that time of a year? I have noticed that a lot of lodging are offering lower rates starting March 14. Is it any indication of "spring" season?

I've been second week of March two times now, once in 2002, a disastrously mild winter, but all pistes were complete, Sella Ronda was fully open, south facing side of valley (not pistes) was grassy, sun all week, got a nice face tan, eating ice cream watching the sun go down, pretty good snow higher up in the shade, slushy lower down in the afternoon.

In 2004, arrived to light snow at Treviso airport on the Venetian plain, promising. Snowed nearly every night up in Selva and some days too and stayed cold, so excellent skiing conditions, sun came out a few times too.

In 1999, I learnt to ski there 22-28 March, sunny village nursery slopes were in freeze-thaw, but all complete. Sella Ronda was open and instructor said it would stay open til Easter. Went higher on last two days, still good snow. On last day, it snowed heavily, so plenty of powder to be enjoyed right at end of March.

In summary, I'd say you will be able to ski the whole area, especially with the base as deep as it is this year, if it's mild the surface layer may well be suffering from spring conditions lower down, stay higher to find better snow. If it's cold and snowy, which it can be, you'll have all the powder to yourself, an excellent time to do the off-piste couloirs on the Sella. But no guarantees, obviously! snowHead
ski holidays
bart_bdv wrote:
Is there somewhere a list on the web with the best mountain restaurants on the Sella Ronda? Going there in 2 weeks and Im already planning the lunches...

Over the whole Sella Ronda area, some that stand out to me are Comici (fish and pasta) near Piz Sella, Vallongia (Kaiserscmarren after 3pm) below Ciampinoi, Daniel in the Seceda area, Meisules and Forcelles (a mean beefburger) near Colfosco, Fredarola (thin-crust, huge, authentic pizzas) at the top of Belvedere above Canazei, for grilled meat Trausines just along the ridge from Piz la Ila above La Villa and Rifugio Scotoni halfway down the Hidden Valley of Armentarola. Not forgetting the homemade cakes at Villa Frainela tea shop off to the left above the Selva nursery slopes. I'm salivating at the thought!

They are all pretty good, never had bad food. Just once I didn't enjoy the burger I had at Baita Lee above Pedraces, too salty for my taste, must have been pork meat and had no salad, onions, pickles, etc.

One I wanted to try was Jimmy's Hutte just above Passo Gardena, looks really nice and it's popular.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spare ribs lunchtime at Plan Boe above Arabba
ski holidays
We did Jimmy's Hutte a few weeks ago and was excellent. Busy, but the staff did a wonderful job and made sure tables were used efficiently. We had a group of 10, and they served us quickly and efficiently - important when the snow is as good as it was. Toofy Grin

But to be honest, we didn't find anywhere bad in the whole of the area - maybe we just liked the prices compared to France!
snow report
For lunches we have found everywhere to be good and reasonably priced, but I would suggest generally getting off the Sella Ronda for less crowds and better service, even taking one chair off to the side makes a big difference.
ski holidays
Food is very good on the mountain and cheap. Mind you I was in Chalet de Pierre in Courchevel 1850 last week, did not have the chicken but imagine it was quite nice and big for €120 at lunch Puzzled
snow report
Roy Hockley wrote:
Food is very good on the mountain and cheap. Mind you I was in Chalet de Pierre in Courchevel 1850 last week, did not have the chicken but imagine it was quite nice and big for €120 at lunch Puzzled

I remember travelling on the bubble lift over the Chalet de Pierres, there was a pack of papparazzi with huge long lenses waiting outside, I wondered who they were after. They're obviously pricing themselves into the celeb/oligarch market.

It looked nice, but funnily enough, no nicer than loads of places in the Dolomites available at a fraction of the price, leave Courchevel to those with more money than sense, I'd say!
snow report
I have just spent an hour working through this thread and copying to paper all the suggestions for routes and ventures. Seemed a shame not to bump it at the same time! Best wishes to all snowHead heading this way in the next few weeks. Seems to be a bit of the old white stuff about!

snowHead
latest report
Chris Bish, yes there's a lot of the white stuff about. Fresh snow on 4/6 days last week for the Birthday Bash. The Knarly Boys managed the following:

Nr of Lifts

Height difference (mt)

Slopes lenght estimation (Km)

Plenty of boot to knee deep stuff off piste and in the trees but the Cabaneiri were chasing us out of it at times
snow report
An aggresive pasta dish? snowHead
latest report
Barkymark, that'll be 43,803 vertical metres I hope Wink I managed more than 43m vertical in a flat spin on my back after pushing those GS skis beyond the level of my skill.
Was a snow-chains job getting out of the hotel, and timed it right so I followed the polish guy with 2 young kids down the hill while he followed the minibus, so that if we met anything coming the other way, we were not going to give way Wink
latest report
Hi Guys,

I'm off to Corvara on 22nd Feb. and the tour operator I'm going with offers an off piste day, for which they say no off piste experience is necessary. They state that the trip usually goes down the Val Mesdi, conditions permitting. From all the pics and video clips I've seen, it looks quite a serious run. Do you think it is good intro to off piste skiing or should I look for something a bit easier ?
latest report
richardball wrote:
Quote:

Hi Guys,

I'm off to Corvara on 22nd Feb. and the tour operator I'm going with offers an off piste day, for which they say no off piste experience is necessary. They state that the trip usually goes down the Val Mesdi, conditions permitting. From all the pics and video clips I've seen, it looks quite a serious run. Do you think it is good intro to off piste skiing or should I look for something a bit easier ?

There was an old thread on here about the Val Mesdi and how tricky it is, quite poignant as jacksonhole (aka Arnie Wilson) also speaks about losing his wife in a nasty accident in an icy couloir in La Grave, France Shocked :

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=18345
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
An aggresive pasta dish? snowHead

Yeah, be careful when ordering a Spaghetti Carabinieri, it won't let you ski powder and it'll chase you off the mountain! Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy