Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calling Sella Ronda fans.

Poster: A snowHead
Loved the Sella Ronda so much last year that we want to go back again this year. As I have to do half-term week, I know that an arm and a leg is the minimum price, so just don't worry about it, eh.

What I want to know is, would Ortisei be a good base? We went to Arabba last year and did the circuit. Marmolada etc so want a different centre this year to see a different region.

The mapp suggests it is a bit out on a limb, or is there plenty to keep unskilled but eager intermediates amused locally?

Thanks for advice, in advance.

snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chris Bish, 40 of us going to Pedraces at half term in a nice hotel. Inc flights, transfers and half board it is £700 pp. The further out of the way, the cheaper the holiday...........and Pedraces is remote Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty the Snowman, I'll look it up.

snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ortisei is linked to Santa Christina which in turn linked with Selva.

I stayed in Santa Christina once and thought it is strategically a place to be even I did have a 4x4.

Ortisei is by far the biggest town relative to those around the Sella Ronda circuit and is a nice place to stay. We prefer eating out in Ortisei to Santa Christina (very quiet) or Selva.

Ortisei has its own loop that take a full day to get through. The only criticism I have is the loop is not skiable between Saltria and Santa Christina and is done by a ski bus. That ski bus ride is an experience on its own because the track is a single lane through thick snow and forest. There is a short walk through the Ortisei town centre to the gondola station at the opposite side of the valley. I found the walk very present because it was very well arranged with elevators, tunnels, shops etc.

I suppose going from Ortisei to Selva to start the Sella Ronda loop can be an disadvantage because by the time you arrive by the public transport the queue would be about at its peak at Selva.

The Alpe de Siusi area in Ortisei is sold as a family resort with stunning scenery, the widest mortorway-like piste, gentle slopes and is ideal for keeping unskilled but eager intermediates amused locally. It has significantly less people than the Sella Ronda circuit.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sounds good. Thanks for that.

snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I suppose going from Ortisei to Selva to start the Sella Ronda loop can be an disadvantage because by the time you arrive by the public transport the queue would be about at its peak at Selva.

You could ski via Col Raiser and then the train to the base of the Saslong, obviously it'll take a bit longer but I doubt there will be any big queues by the time you get there, you'd have a lovely long run back at the end of the day if you managed to catch the last lift too, if not there's always the bus. Col Raiser has some nice runs for a good half day too, including the timed run which would be a bit of fun. I also think you could still get to/from the hidden valley and Marmolada in a day easily enough if you wanted to, once again the bus could rescue you from Selva/ St Christina if time beat you.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman, I'm staying DIY self catering in Pedraces the week before you 7-14 Feb, I'll try and leave some beer for you Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

As you say out of the way but good prices, got a nice 1 bed apt, works out £160 each for me and a mate, £104 each for 9 days car hire, £36 each flights (inc 1 bag & FREE SKI CARRIAGE!!! Don't tell Ryanair!!) with Germanwings Stansted to Stuttgart (yes it's a long 4+hrs transfer but I love driving through the mountains and it beats sitting on a tour ops transfer coach at -5C Geneva airport for 3 hrs waiting for the late arrival of the Bristol flight, then a 4 hr transfer to La Plagne, which happened to me once, never again!)

I'll have the car so will probably drive to the gondolas at La Villa, San Cassiano or Corvara, I also want to head over to Cortina as I've only got as far as the Hidden Valley from Selva where I've stayed 3 times before.

Like Chris Bish, I wanted to base myself somewhere different to explore the Dolomites a bit more, I'm hooked too, I keep trying other places but always want to keep coming back for more.

Chris Bish, as to Ortisei, it's the prettiest village in Val Gardena, it's got a proper pedestrianised centre with shops and cafes which I've wandered around, a little detached from the main Sella Ronda circuit, a little lower in altitude too, might put some off. You've got the gondola/cablecar up to Seceda for the sunny Col Raiser bowl and the gondola up to Alpe di Siusi, mostly very tame short runs but beautiful views, as always. Never stayed there so can't really comment on how convenient a base it would be for you. I remember that some other snowheads snowHead snowHead have stayed there so may be along soon to help you decide.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
luigi, I have 2 concerns about our holiday:
1) That it is a bit remote and that when retirning to La Villqa that we may have a walk to link the pistes.
2) That there is no beer Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman, are you going with Colletts Mountain Holidays? I noticed they've got a place in Pedraces

I was just looking through the Photo Gallery on their site, a must for all Dolomite lovers!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman wrote,
Quote:

luigi, I have 2 concerns about our holiday:
1) That it is a bit remote and that when retirning to La Villqa that we may have a walk to link the pistes.
2) That there is no beer

Sorry, our posts must have crossed

1)I'm not sure how that bit in La Villa works either.

2)You're right to be concerned Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman, There is about a 150 metre walk from the bottom of the piste at LA VILLA to the connecting chairlift that gives you the height to ski to Pedraces. Going the other way depending on snow conditions it is a shorter walk. The only problem you may have with Pedraces as a base is that the pistes to and from the village can get very cut up if it is on the warm side as the valley is very open to the sun . Plenty of beer however.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
riverman, I have skied down through south facing Les Menuires on April 19th to La Masse gondola, in the afternoon when the temperature was scorchio. Now THAT was chopped up Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman,

Found this photo of La Villa in winter, the gondola base is out of shot to the left, but you can see the chairs across the road that give height to return to Pedraces. You might be able to use the nursery drag this side of the road at the extreme left of the photo if you can slide down to this from where the main Gran Risa piste ends.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, I didn't go there but looking at the piste map (I have a copy at work) there is a walk but it's very short. La Villa would be a nice place for a beer though wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty the Snowman, no problem then
snow conditions
riverman, Thanks for the info though. We have some nervous intermediates that may not be soo chuffed. Do you know if there is a bus service up the valley?
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, I've heard of a free bus from Pedraces DOWN the valley to Picolin where you can access the Kronplatz/Plan di Corones ski area, but not sure about UP to La Villa or Corvara though
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, I think there is a bus as last year a group from our chalet caught a bus to the Kronplatz area from the La villa area. The red piste back to Pedraces was from memory fairly gentle so should be ok for your nervous intermediates. They should also enjoy the runs which are reached from the chair from the village itself.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, If they are exploring towards the Sella Ronda itself and Corvara they will have to take the ciruitous route down or the gondola direct as the run down is either the FIS slalom or GS run and is one of the steepest in the Super Dolomiti ski area.

But you and the group will have a ball. I fell in love with the place also. And although we are attached to another resort through property we still love it and will go back many more times. IMO it rates with Zermatt for me! Very Happy

Bus from Pedraces down to Kronplatz, not sure about bus services up to San Cassiano though. Hire a taxi if you have a few of you it is only about a 10 min journey from La Villa to San Cassiano and Armeterolla where you can get up to and past the hidden valley!

Have fun all of you going!
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, Looks as if the traditional snowHeads rendezvous at Colfosco is on. Suspect Hoppo will be there too!

snowHead
snow report
Chris Bish, keep me up to speed. Definitely on for a meet up.
snow report
luigi wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, are you going with Colletts Mountain Holidays? I noticed they've got a place in Pedraces

I was just looking through the Photo Gallery on their site, a must for all Dolomite lovers!
Yes we are, but not to a hotel that is in the brochure Puzzled
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:,
Quote:

but not to a hotel that is in the brochure

So, have they set up a special deal 'cos there's 40 of you? It must be difficult to find somewhere for a group that large. I'm just glad I'm not going the week after you, there definitely won't be any beer left wink
ski holidays
luigi, I couldn't navigate to this page from their site but they sent me it as a link http://www.colletts.co.uk/Melodia_Del_Bosco.pdf

Hotel site: http://www.melodiadelbosco.it/home.php?ver=1

Following some half term experiences our 1st choice was La Rosiere, but even at the end of March they could not fit in a party of our size at our preferred spot. That said I have always wanted to ski the Dolomites and for half term this seemed a good deal.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, looks like a really nice hotel, recent renovations, the standard of hotel-keeping is second to none, especially in the northern Dolomites where the clientele is mainly germanic. Handy there's a ski-bus to take you the 600m. to the Santa Croce chair. The local half-term isn't until the last week in Feb, so shouldn't be too busy with kids like France, the Alta Badia area is always a lot quieter than the main Sella Ronda circuit. Hope you enjoy it!

Chris Bish, have you settled on anything yet?
ski holidays
Although you get a lot of kids in lessons even when they're in school. That said they were really well behaved and you only noticed them while passing the group. Thinking about it all really makes me want to go back.
latest report
Really fancy the Gentianze (or something like that) at Ortezei (Neilsens - my favourite TO) , but having a party of 3 is a bit tricky. Especially as the third (Hippo for those who know him) is a smoker and must therefore be accommodated in a separate room, or even valley.

snowHead
snow report
Chris Bish, that's a seriously nice hotel, love the pool/sauna/jacuzzi, looks like you'll be sharing them with the beautiful people if the photos are anything to go by wink , I'm jealous.
But Hoppo/Hippo is gonna look funny skiing without the arm and leg it's gonna cost him with single supplements on top.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hoppo and Hippo are different people. He (Hippo) loves to wallow in hot water hence the nickname. Hoppo and Hippo met at Colfosco last year. There is a picture somewhere, on Hoppo's site I think.

It does look very nice, but we might be short of ski time next year so willing to splash out some heavy money. Definitely want to do the full pool, sauna jacuzzi thing. Bev wil accept nothing else after getting spoilt at some Oxalys do or other, it seems. Hippo is rich and single so he can afford it.

snowHead
snow conditions
luigi, if the TOs continue to be awkward about our demand for 2 rooms for 3 people (and they seem to be) is it reasonable to do it as an independant? I am a teacher so half term week is my only option. Easyjet flights to Venice are under £400 (just) return at present, but it is a long way to Ortisei from there. It does ook like a place we would love. Very into doing things the local's way.

snowHead
latest report
Chris Bish, If you go to the Dolimites with Colletts Holidays their ski holidays run from Sunday to Sunday which might cheaper flights than Saturday flights.
ski holidays
I'm sure you could do it independently, but there is the hassle of the transfer to sort out, a hire car or pricey private taxi service are probably the only sensible options. The beauty of a tour op package is that they sort out the logistics and hopefully any problems that arise. The flights are expensive because it's half-term, I suppose. There was a flurry of activity on the forum when the flights were released about a month ago as everyone that needed half-term scrabbled to get flights at a sensible price.
I see the Neilson website won't let you put less than 2 in a room, have you tried speaking to someone at Neilsons about whether they can do a single here or another nice hotel in Val Gardena?
ski holidays
riverman wrote:
Chris Bish, If you go to the Dolimites with Colletts Holidays their ski holidays run from Sunday to Sunday which might cheaper flights than Saturday flights.
They were......until we booked 40 seats Toofy Grin
latest report
Chris Bish, as riverman says it's worth checking the Sunday flights and Innsbruck & Verona too (it's a shorter transfer than Venice).
snow report
I always thought that the changeover day in those resorts were Sunday!

Frosty the Snowman, Looks like a lovely hotel. I cant wait to get out to the dolomites! Have fun!
ski holidays
Nelsens s owned by Thomas Cook, and we are on good terms with the manager of our local branch as we introduced her to skiing, so I will get her to apply some leverage. Independent is not really a good option for peak weeks as luigi, indicated. Thanks again for all the advice. Definitely want to be in that corner of the Sella Ronda.

snowHead
snow report
Chris Bish, all the best with your plans, hope you can get something sorted.
latest report
Well, paid a deposit today for the three of us but the single for the delightful but malodorous Hippo, is "on request". My friendly Thomas Cook person, Kate, is conviced she can land it. At nearly £4000 for the three of us I would hope so!
Don't you love half term.

snowHead
ski holidays
Chris Bish, let's hope it all works out, it's not what you know, it's who you know that counts, eh? It's a shame I'm going to miss the snowheads reunion at Colfosco with you all that week.
snow conditions
luigi, As at that price you can have two weeks at another time wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy