Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How heavy are ski boots

Poster: A snowHead
Julieanne wrote:
Bones wrote:
They didnt count towards luggage allowance as we paid for ski carriage but luggage weight was only 15kg per bag. Ws funny really as we were the first to check in and as we walked away heard the Checkin Lass tell the rest 'to watch the weight of the boot bags' Toofy Grin

That's an interesting point.. rolling eyes So if you pack skiboots in a seperate bootbag, do they count as "ski carriage" which does not get included in the 20 kg allowance?
I was going to pack boots, helmet , clothes etc all into one bag.... (apart from skibag containing skis)--so this way the boot weight would obviously be counted into the weight allowance. Sad Shocked

(I've always had weight problems --with luggage! Evil or Very Mad --even with boots in handluggage--which is not on anymore!) Embarassed

Just been away wih ryanair and had my size 10 boots in my m,ain bag. I had no problewms with my double ski bag, 1 main bag with 15kg in and a full max size hand baggage- I took too much stuff in terms of clothes and could have gone lighter
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dan100, that's encouraging. Very Happy I'm flying Easyjet and so can have 20 kg in main hold bag. But am still struggling to keep to that limit... Sad (even though I've decided to leave the kitchen sink behind...) Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A subject close to my heart as it really p****es me off that there isn't one rule. Always check the small print for the travel company who have limits on weight for skiis and boots. THe airline websites are helpful but the travel comapny imposes different rules on top. Some take the £15 payment to cover skiis, boots and poles; some say it's just skiis. What the airline says doesn't mean the travel company that have chartered them apply the same rules. Skiis also have a weight limit. Some airports weigh and check everything, some don't. Bristol says boots can't e taken on as hand luggage.

SO check and check again before packing your bags as everyone is different and you could get badly hit for excess baggage because you didn't know (£70 last year for us). AND remember that the rules change all the time.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tollpepper wrote:
A subject close to my heart as it really p****es me off that there isn't one rule.

Tollpepper,ditto!
All this seems to have been created just to give us "lucky" sods who go skiing--a bit of agro....
For example, I can't see how it improves security if we can't take skiboots as handluggage... rolling eyes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Got hit for 112sF at Geneva on Sat for 8Kg over and Boots as hand luggage there are fine. The miserable old cow at check-in was adamant that 'sports-equipment' skis etc. are a max of 15Kg and that Luton does not do it's job. But as people say, Luton will not allow boots as hand luggage.

My skis and boots are 6.25 + 7.25 . . . 13.5Kg without bags. Add 1Kg for my dri-zones

We all mostly consider a helmet as mandatory. so that adds .75, then a back protector at 1.25 (some of us like to think we're fast and hard but are really just clumsy and crumbly)

Poles . . .5Kg

So for me, before I even think about clothing I've 17Kg of essentials.

Ski bag is 3Kg, Clothing roller is 3.5Kg

and that leaves a grand total of 11.5Kg for everything else and in my case that's reduced by 6Kg for boots and board to a final 5.5 Kg.

Serious re-thinking is needed for any future flying trips Mad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque, Shocked Shocked....(Stunned into silence!) Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Masque wrote:
Poles . . .5Kg

How many pairs were you carrying?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
richmond, point 5 wink , but I've just weighed them at .62 Kg
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Luggage for two at Geneva on Saturday was as follows.

Bootsx 2 pairs
SKis x 2 pairs.
Polesx 2 pairs.
Clothing.

Had these in 2 holdalls and a ski bag.(paid for one lot of ski carriage.

Bag 1 19kg inc boots
Bag 2 19kg inc boots
Ski Bag 13kg.

So bang on our luggage limit (20+20+12)
I should also add that we were away for two weeks and not just one. On the way out ourbags were only 14kg each, but we picked up skis and boots in Serre Chevalier.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Masque, oh, I seeee.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Helen Beaumont, sounds like you are very well organized! Smile
However, I tend to take: a book (or two), bathroom items, walking boots,helmet etc-- and I always seem to be more than 20kg even WITHOUT skiboots in holdall... rolling eyes
But this discussion I do find helpful---and hopefully there is a way to getting the weight/ski equipment problem right. Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've been reading this with interest, it seems that luggage limits on the whole are poorly defined by airlines, and vary from airline to airline. Given the amount of skiers who fly (and I bet its a large amount of holiday traffic through the winter) has the skiing industry ever tried lobbying the airlines for a more definitive idea of what can be taken where, what qualifies for a paid for skiing luggage allowance etc.

There have been several threads on the subject and I become increasingly more grateful that I don't fly to go skiing. I don't think I'd ever be able to find out exactly what you can carry and where if I did, even with the collective weight of snowheads to assist me. It appears to the uninitiated one of biggest, poorly defined, areas of confusion that I've heard of for some time.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, you've articulated my own confusion and exasperation! Madeye-Smiley I am going to phone Easyjet tomorrow and try and find out the most current update --re skiboots in handluggage! It does not say anything about that on their website. rolling eyes rolling eyes
(but I'm certainly thinking train travel--next time...)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Why not just put them on your feet?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The only conceivable advantage of skiing at half term is that budget airlines are no cheaper than ordinary ones, and they seem to have less opaque rules and regs about luggage limits (presumably because they don't rely on them to turn a profit).
latest report
edited

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 17-03-08 0:30; edited 1 time in total
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Why not just put them on your feet?

SMALLZOOKEEPER, Brilliant idea! Toofy Grin Might start a new fashion trend at Luton... wink
snow report
Julieanne, That's what we used to do to avoid the carriage costs with our mountaineering stuff. Puzzled
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, And I thought you were joking! Confused Shocked
snow conditions
Try ski-touring boots. They're much lighter (though you do lose quite a lot of control and support while skiing)
snow conditions
Well, well,well......I have just been told on the phone by Easyjet:
"Yes, you can take skiboots in handluggage!"

Madeye-Smiley
latest report
stevec wrote:
I have no scales at home, and was wondering how heavy a pair of ski boots are? They are Saloman Impact 8's in a 29 if that makes much/any difference.

Funny you should ask, because I have recently bought exactly that model in a 29.0.
They weight 5.0kg for the pair.
latest report
In terms of how heavy are a pair of ski boots?

My answer would be 'too heavy" possibly with a mild expletive between the 'too' and the 'heavy'
snow conditions
Julieanne wrote:
Well, well,well......I have just been told on the phone by Easyjet:
"Yes, you can take skiboots in handluggage!"

Madeye-Smiley

check with your airport -some class ski boots as weapons of mass destruction eg bristol hence they must be carried in the hold.

Ryanair seem to include ski boots as aprt of ski carriage. My mate was able to put them in with his skis and he had 2 skis in bags. In fact ryan air only seem to weigh hold luggage. I had 2 skis , poles and a fleece in my double ski bag and it went through no problem. My mate was asked how many skis he had in his bag and he said 2 sets and there was no problem
ski holidays
dan100, hmmm.....Well, I shall chance taking my skiboots as handluggage--yet again. The lady employee of Easyjet confirmed that this was allowed--from Luton...and I got her name, so fingers crossed ! Very Happy
(Makes my packing less of a headache... rolling eyes )
snow conditions
Once again, re ski boots as hand luggage. I have recently (in the last month) successfully carried them through LGW, GVA, LHR, LYS(Lyon) with BA and Easyjet. We know that Bristol and Grenoble seem to have ridiculous rules about this, and have heard reports than Liverpool may or may not (depending on the phase of the moon Wink ) - Masque, are you sure about LTN not allowing them? They are BAA, who clearly do not have a problem with this (despite an earlier scare than Stansted would not allow them).

Even with a load of off-piste safety stuff (harness + toys, metal shovel, probe, tuning gear, armoured shorts/shirt, helmet, first aid kit etc) I would get to about 26kg max.. Boots are about an extra 7-8kg in in hand luggage.

When I used touring boots all the time rather than alpine, I did used to wear them from checkin onto the plane. No problem at LGW, STN, LHR, GVA, British Airways and Easyjet, although one Easyjet flight they did require me to take them off and put them in the overhead lockers.
ski holidays
Liverpool is a law unto itself. EJ may allow boots in hand luggage but the security staff may not Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Grenoble has just introduced a strict ban on ski boots and helmets in hand luggage.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
got sent back to checkin at EMA a couple of years go with boots in hand luggage. Never tried since.
snow report
We've been stuffing skiboots into our suitcases for the last few years after bootbags went to Gitwack [along with about 2lbs of incredibly pungent alpine cheese] and we went to Mancs...Was not nice present to get delivered 3 days later Shocked Skullie Shocked
The only problem seems to be that outbound is ok [just] if you've got a 20kg allowance and have very good friends who don't mind you taking hardly any clothes, and smelling a bit... but the return flights have always been a bit tight - what with sweaty bootliners adding about another couple of kilos... Embarassed and you have to have REALLY good friends for a 15kg allowance... Laughing

Also, Jet2.com back from Chambery this weekend had posters up saying skiboots could not count as hand luggage...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy