Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How heavy are ski boots

Poster: A snowHead
I have no scales at home, and was wondering how heavy a pair of ski boots are? They are Saloman Impact 8's in a 29 if that makes much/any difference.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 15-02-08 12:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My pair Atomic M Tech 110's in 26 weigh 5kg so your 29's will probably be a tad more.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My Lange size 10.5 are 5kg, so I'm guessing that most modern boots would be about 5kg (?)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mine are Tecnica Icon Carbon in 27.5 and weigh 6.5 kg in their bag.

I spot a trend developing!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Salomon x-wave 8 (26.5) in the bag = 6.5kg
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
About 90kg with my feet in them Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
3kg with G-fits if I am not mistaken...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Watched mine and wifes go on the scales seperatly at Bristol airport in Jan. Hers were 5.1Kg and mine 6.2kg. Watched as we are doing a DIY in a few weeks with Easyjet and needed to know how they would impact on our 20Kg.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jmdohanlon, snap . . . booger to dance in aren't they wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon wrote:
My pair Atomic M Tech 110's in 26 weigh 5kg.....

5.16kg to be precise wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I know our boot bags weighed in a nice light 11kg each a few years ago Very Happy

They didnt count towards luggage allowance as we paid for ski carriage but luggage weight was only 15kg per bag. Ws funny really as we were the first to check in and as we walked away heard the Checkin Lass tell the rest 'to watch the weight of the boot bags' Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mine are precisely 1/3 of the lousy Ryanair allowance Sad I fear a hefty excess charge is on the way...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
spyderjon wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

5.16kg to be precise ;-)

Before or after drying?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you have some scales at home I find an easy way to weigh your luggage before hand is to weigh yourself first, then weigh yourself holding the luggage and just subtract.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spyderman wrote:
About 90kg with my feet in them Toofy Grin

Is that dry weight, or wet weight?
snow conditions
comprex wrote:
spyderjon wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

5.16kg to be precise wink

Before or after drying?

Dry, with cant strips & custome insoles installed & but without catracks wink
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
jmdohanlon, snap . . . booger to dance in aren't they wink

Dunno. I sit down for the Apres drinks, 'coz my legs are usually boogered after a day's skiing.
snow conditions
Have just got some salomon impact 8s in a 28.5, weighed them and they came out at 5.2KG in total.

Hope this helps
latest report
Bones wrote:
They didnt count towards luggage allowance as we paid for ski carriage but luggage weight was only 15kg per bag. Ws funny really as we were the first to check in and as we walked away heard the Checkin Lass tell the rest 'to watch the weight of the boot bags' Toofy Grin

That's an interesting point.. rolling eyes So if you pack skiboots in a seperate bootbag, do they count as "ski carriage" which does not get included in the 20 kg allowance?
I was going to pack boots, helmet , clothes etc all into one bag.... (apart from skibag containing skis)--so this way the boot weight would obviously be counted into the weight allowance. Sad Shocked

(I've always had weight problems --with luggage! Evil or Very Mad --even with boots in handluggage--which is not on anymore!) Embarassed
ski holidays
I've said this before, but I'm always surprised at how much they do weigh. Is their weight intrinsic in the job they do or could they be lighter if they can be made as strong? I'm surprised that with modern day plastics strength couldn't be maintained with a decrease in their weight, so that makes me wonder if their weight is important.
ski holidays
Julieanne, I think it varies. With BA, Ryanair, Easyjet, etc ski carriage includes Skis in bag and boots in bag. However I flew with Monarch in January and Inghams told me that Ski carriage was just for a pair of skis and that boots were included in my 20kg allowance.
ski holidays
Megamum, I'd have thought that commercially (to save on transport costs) and technically (to balance weight and other performance factors) they would reduce the weight if they could but since they don't they can't. Wink
snow report
Megamum, I'm sure that an excellent boot could be made which is a lot lighter, but it would use rather expensive materials, and probably wouldn't sell terribly well, especially since I assume that majority of skiers don't jump on a 'plane to indulge their passion (or to go skiing).
ski holidays
richmond, The need to design a lighter ski boot is surely not governed by the need to save weight when flying? Megamum, I'm sure they could design something lighter but I suspect that your lower leg would snap in two at the first fall (either that or your ankle would look like Euardo's after that tackle).
ski holidays
halfhand, That's what I'm getting at. Does the ski boot need its weight in order to do its intended job, i.e. for example in a crash does is its inherent weight and therefore inertia help to minimise dangerous rotations of the foot etc.
ski holidays
Julieanne wrote:

So if you pack skiboots in a seperate bootbag, do they count as "ski carriage" which does not get included in the 20 kg allowance?

That is the case with Ryanair. But it varies according to the airline: at Christmas we flew charter LGW-TLS (can't recall the airline) and the opposite applied: i.e. boots were included in the main 20kg allowance, even though we've paid for ski carriage.
latest report
Megamum, I think that's one of the spin-offs (pardon the pun) of boot design i.e they hold your foot firmly in place to stop unwanted movement/damage.
I wonder what sort of injuries were suffered during the days of leather ski boots. Perhaps David Goldsmith could enlighten us?
snow report
It's an issue I've been interested in since owning a pair, and this year my skis too. I'd never been conscious of how much the kit all weighed before, but when you have to carry both around you suddenly realise just how much both weigh. To be honest this wimp certainly wouldn't mind if ski boots in particular were lighter.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
halfhand, why would you worry about boot weight if you didn't have to put them on a 'plane or carry them for miles? Their weight doesn't make them umcomfortable to walk in for shortish distances (if they are, mine aren't), I don't think; that's their stiffness, I reckon.
ski holidays
richmond, I don't worry about boot weight but some appear to Little Angel
snow report
halfhand, sometimes, it appears, you need to worry about everything or the sky might fall in!

...as for reducing the weight of boots, they could do it by using thinner plastics, and making the boots smaller, which is what is done in plug boots. These can take a lot longer to get fitted correctly, and aren't the sort of thing you buy "off the shelf" at your local slush & rubble.

Another option would be to use lighter but stronger materials. Of course, that would cost considerably more.

Then again, if you make them thinner & lighter, will they last as long? Those sponsored by boot manufacturers probably wouldn't mind changing their boots every 10 days of use, but would a punter buy boots at £500 or more a pair if they only lasted one holiday?
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
...sometimes, it appears, you need to worry about everything or the sky might fall in!
Laughing Laughing

I think we should all rebel/campaign/go up in arms etc.... against ski boots being included in luggage weight on ALL airlines!
If we are paying extra for sports equipment-- skis etc-- why should skiboots not be included in that? rolling eyes
ski holidays
Well I thought I could get boots included as part of sporting equipment on Easyjet until I realised how heavy my 178 cm Crossmax V12 skis were- at least 4 kg each! So I ended up stuffing the ski bag with a lot of clothes 'padding' to take the ski bag close to the max of 12 kg and used the weight saving to make sure my main bag and boots didn't exceed 20 kg together. I guess with Ryanair and its 15 kg limit that may be more difficult to do.
snow report
Dr. Will, on Easyjet ARE skiboots included in weight allowance of sports equipment? If so, are they supposed to be packed in a seperate bag?? Puzzled

I find all this quite puzzling....For years up to now, I've taken my skiboots in handluggage to avoid this "problem"... rolling eyes
(and also to avoid losing them in hold luggage!) wink
ski holidays
Julieanne- It was very difficult for me to get a straight answer but as far as I can tell if your skis and ski boots add up to less than 12 kg they can be taken together or in 2 bags (ski + boot bag) as sporting equipment. I didn't however test that out because my skis were at least 8 kg on their own so I had no choice but to carry the boots either as hand luggage or in a separate boot bag as part of the main luggage allowance and packing some of my clothes as padding round the skis to compensate.

In the end it worked quite well since it was an evening flight so skied right until the last moment, put my boots into the boot bag and packed some of my ski clothes round the skis.
latest report
JT wrote:
3kg with G-fits if I am not mistaken...

If you mean your Endophins they're 4kg with G-fits and 4.3kg with pad locks.
ski holidays
Buy them red or orange and they will feel lighter.
latest report
A pair of size 26 Dalbello Kyptons with intuition liners tips the scales at 4.2kg, the liners are really light.
ski holidays
I did post in another thread..i flew Easy just with on big ski bag which included all my clothes, ski's boots came in at 31kg...

No problem for easyjet - I'd paid for ski carriage and they just ticketed the bag and off i went....
snow report
cfc5mu0 wrote:
....i flew Easy just with on big ski bag which included all my clothes, ski's boots came in at 31kg...

No problem for easyjet - I'd paid for ski carriage and they just ticketed the bag and off i went....

Sounds like a simple practical solution --but my skibag could not fit skiboots as well.... Shocked Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy