Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for a really good boot fitter in the UK

Poster: A snowHead
Haggis_Trap,
Quote:

The problem with profesional boot fitters is that they are usually limited to the brands that their store sells....

rolling eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing
I guess within our range of 55 different boots we wouldn't be able to fit your feet. I haven't read any of you other posts but i sure hope you'll continue with post this hilarious. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Well, your shop might, which is why I will have to try and make a detour to Chamonix in Jan.

If my foots works ok with an X-wave, what sort of AT boot would I be thinking of.... ballpark..? as I understand you'd reserve judgement until you've seen the foot.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SMALLZOOKEEPER, most ski shops, especially in the UK, only sell certain brand of ski boots.

Salomon, for example, make some great ski boots - but none of their range fit my feet, as they are all way too narrow.

Tecnica boots, however, fit my foot shape much better than any other brand.
However many shops don't stock Tecnica.

Surely the most important thing is to find the brand that fits your foot shape best ?
What's so funny about that ?

Doug.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 11-09-07 11:58; edited 7 times in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://profeet.co.uk/ski_index.asp

I used them last year and have been very happy. In west london, ask for Jimmy they have a wide selection of boots as well as fitting.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Haggis_Trap, go look at a few other shops all the ones i know sell at least 3 or 4 brands
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Surely the rules you are applying here are common across any shop anywhere? Shops in main resorts are often parts of big chains, and will inevitably be subject to pressure from shareholders and will therefore push whichever brands are offering the biggest kickbacks. Personal experience would suggest there is possibly more choice in the UK, as it is a smaller market, and personal recommendation is the number 1 marketing method available....hence places like Lockwoods can operate succesfully, and the personal service and professional attention to detail offered by people like CEM means they will not fit something which is not right for the customer. This does not, however, apply to the big chains in the UK....(mentioning no names wink )
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi CEM,
The boots are Tecnica magmas. If you do get the planer,will it be in time for next season????.Thanks.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

most ski shops, especially in the UK, only sell certain brand of ski boots.

not any I've been in. Our local shop (Filarinski), for example, sells lots of different brands. Never counted how many.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jimmjimm, next season yes, this season well i hope so, but may be not the very beginning, has that boot got replaceable toe and heel, if so it can cause a problem
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I can recommend a great bootfitter in Hampshire - There an independant company called Filarinski in Havant near Portsmouth, there about an hours drive away for me and I go past 4 major ski shops. I bought a new pair of boots last weekend, I too got short wide high instep feet, My feet are so wide I should be wearing about 5 sizes bigger. They have a vast range of boots and ski's and really know there stuff, great customer service and not over priced either. They told me they'd fitted a boot for someone whom had Elephantiasis recently!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Haggis_Trap, Firstly buddy, i used to work in the UK, at Lockwoods, 7 years ago, they had a range of around 40-50 models and didn't have to follow any brand politics. So yet again, your generalisations prove hilarious. Second, Salomon, currently have 7 lasts(boot shapes) so saying that a brand doesn't work for you, having not skied in them all is, yet again, hilarious. Tecnica, have currently, 6 lasts, not all would fit your feet, perhaps the Vento, therefore never the Diablo race. Please try not to generalise in such a manor, you do nothing but damage the reputation of the manufacturers with your limited understanding and make life for people like me more difficult. Cheers. Steve. Cool
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry had to reply to my own post,Haggis_Trap, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
> SMALLZOOKEEPER

The above is a very good example of an arrogant ski shop owner....
HILARIOUS.

Doug

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 11-09-07 22:06; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
p.s answer the question. which was the point of my original post

> the most important thing is to find a brand that fits your foot shape best ?

I have no doubt what so ever that Salomon make great boot's.
However they simply dont fit my (wider) foot shape - especially the performance models.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 11-09-07 21:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap, sorry but i have to agree with Steve, there are a few shops out there who still only stock one or two brands, but any of the ones who are any good at it will sell minimum 3 brands possibly 4 or 5 or more, the only way to get the selection is to cherry pick the best bits from lots of ranges, manufacturers hate it but that is their problem not that of the boot fitter. if you are based where your sig suggests then there are a limited number of boot fitting shops full stop hence the problems you encounter Little Angel
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
p.s answer the question. which was my original point

> Surely the most important thing is to find the brand that fits your foot shape best ?
Haggis_Trap, Back to my point of, each manufacturer has more than one shape of ski boot depending on it's market poition, therefore such mindless generalisations are nieve and misleading. Grow up mate or get arrogant! wink Cool
snow conditions
> the only way to get the selection is to cherry pick the best bits from lots of ranges

Exaclty what I have said all along (in every post)
The most important thing is to find the brand that fits your foot shape best!

> if you are based where your sig suggests

What, in the part of the UK with snow you mean Little Angel
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap, I'd suggest a Therapist before a Bootfitter, seems you can't read and ignore the advice of someone defending their trade, you have never met anyone like myself, yet another sweeping generalisation akin to a certain Austrian Idealist. Now go to bed. Toofy Grin
latest report
> SMALLZOOKEEPER

The only point that I have made all along is that

"The most important thing is to find the brand that fits your foot shape best"

And you seem hell bent on disagreeing rolling eyes
Are you trying to sell something by any chance ?
latest report
Haggis_Trap, yes he does....rightly. His spelling may be idiosyncratic, but he seems to understand the concept of a brand (i.e. Salomon, Tecnica, Nordica), whereas you clearly do not. If Tecnica have 6 different lasts, then your statement is non-sensical: the brand Tecnica cannot fit the same foot across its range - whereas individual lasts/models may or may not. One particular boot of the Head range was best suited to my foot - others would have been disastrous.
latest report
I have tried on several (perfomance) salomon ski boots, and generally I find the fit to be narrow.
Nordica and Technica are usually better for wider foot shapes.

However best advice to anyone buying boots is to try on at least 3 or 4 different brands.
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Nordica and Technica are usually better for wider foot shapes.

Except for the models from those brands that are narrow.
Quote:
However best advice to anyone buying boots is to try on at least 3 or 4 different brands.

Best advice is to go and ask someone who knows what they are talking about.
snow conditions
Haggis_Trap, Ok, buddy, here we go this is for information, and is not meant to be arrogant.

Salomon, have as i point out, 7 current lasts; ranging from 95mm in the forefoot to 106mm, instep heights and heel widths permitting.
Therefore, you maybe fine in the Impact '100mm' size 26,5 but have a hell of a problem in the X3, '95mm'. If you went into your local ski shop and tried on the X3 for example(highly unlikely, but for arguements sake) you would find it too narrow and would be forgiven for thinking Salomon boots didn't fit your foot. This may well be the case here, but my point is that you should just 'feather' the keyboard a little more before making such generalizations in a place that you point maybe taken for gospel, when in fact you clearly don't understand the lasting and design process involed by each manufacturer. I come across this type of problem day in and day out and work hard at my job to educate the consumer to save them; money, time and pain. No offence meant, just the honest truth. Little Angel
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap, All 'performance' boots from every brand currently measure, 95mm/98mm nothing more, nothing less. Puzzled
latest report
another point regarding wide boots

people often end up in a boot far too wide for them, normally happens if the foot is functioning wide, by this i mean rotated in a way which does not compensate in a ski boot as the foot and leg are held in an enclosed position, if this happens the footbed / boot needs to be adjusted to compensate for the disfunction in the foot Little Angel
snow conditions
> Salomon, have as i point out, 7 current lasts; ranging from 95mm in the forefoot to 106mm

I accept this. However that still doesn't mean that Salomon is the perfect ski boot for each and every foot shape.
Hence my recommendation that people try on several brands of ski boots - which I still stand by.

> you should just 'feather' the keyboard a little more

Interesting comment... Especially given the abusive tone in your previous posts.
I presume you don't speak to customers like that - ha ha.
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
I accept this. However that still doesn't mean that Salomon is the perfect ski boot for every foot shape.
Hence my recommendation that people try on several brands of ski boots - which I still stand by.

Seem reasonable enough. Just out of interest, approximately how many different brands do you think is the minimum to get a chance of fitting an odd shaped foot, and what shops have you been in who fall below this threshold? Also, how many brands out there have too small a range of different shaped lasts so that they can't accommodate odd shape feet?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Haggis_Trap, The easiest thing to do would be just to go back and edit all my posts. And then erase any evidence of my stupidity! Cool

Happy Skiing. Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Shouldn't the word 'Model' have been used a little more than 'Brand'?
latest report
Masque, On the nose son, but then our little Hagis faced friend would have to do a whole load more editing.
snow report
> Shouldn't the word 'Model' have been used a little more than 'Brand'?

Well most ski boot "brands" only have one or two "models" aimed at each performance category.
So its well worth trying on several brands - despite what SMALLZOOKEEPER seems to be claiming...
snow conditions
Give me strength.....
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Masque, On the nose son, but then our little Hagis faced friend would have to do a whole load more editing.

aww! he has edited one post SEVEN times, must be some sort of a record Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

Most ski boot "brands" have one or two models aimed at each performance category.

If you want to belive the marketting hype, otherwise they might just change a few buckles, the pigmentation and if lucky, the liner.

I can't belive i took the bait on this one, good luckHaggis_Trap, rolling eyes
ski holidays
it must be summer.... Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Quote:

So its well worth trying on several brands - despite what SMALLZOOKEEPER seems to be claiming...

I ask my troops to ralley around me, please, stitch up my sides! Laughing
snow conditions
CEM wrote:
another point regarding wide boots

people often end up in a boot far too wide for them, normally happens if the foot is functioning wide, by this i mean rotated in a way which does not compensate in a ski boot as the foot and leg are held in an enclosed position, if this happens the footbed / boot needs to be adjusted to compensate for the disfunction in the foot :nice:

Ooooh,(vigorous fanning of face and neck area) and they tell me I'm fun at parties. ;-)
snow report
I had used the services of LZK, SZK and CEM, before I ever found SHs. Where Mr Trap is understandable going astray is that I guess that he has not been privileged to experience their expertise, and has found himself in the clutches of "boot fitters" (salesmen) that were not "really good". These guys really are the best, not only that but have a level of professional integrity that will not allow them push skiers into boots that are not right for them.
Even with the best fitter you wont always get it right first time, but a good one will stick with you until it is right. My advise, particularly if you have ever had problems is to suspend your cynicism, and forget what you think you know, and to place your trust entirely in one of these, or someone like them (if you can find one) take your time, and be rewarded with a level of comfort and control that you might not have thought possible.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy