Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Slalom training on plastic

Poster: A snowHead
veeeight, that's what I'd understood too.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GrahamN, be careful now, else we'll get accused of not clarifying/agreeing on terminology beforehand wink Laughing

Swedish turns, when done properly, look bizzare but kinda cool, but I haven't yet found a practical application for them as yet (apart from agility & co-ordination). I think it was an ESC thing..... Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret, Sounds good. Keep it up snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
veeeight, yeah that is what i thought an ollie was, but thats what they called the drill. what is a swedish turn? sounds like we were doing left leg ollie/right leg nollie and repeat Laughing

GrahamN, felt better after this session but have a sprained thumb ( i KNEW that was going to happen) dont think i will be racing as summer is for golf

jimmjimm, i hpe you didnt lose any sleep over 87 versus 3 degrees...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Swedish turns, when done properly, look bizzare but kinda cool, but I haven't yet found a practical application for them as yet (apart from agility & co-ordination).

THe drill before that was driving the shins forward and back so perhaps just trying to improve fore aft balance??? more of an agility and rythym drill for me as you say.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

yeah that is what i thought an ollie was, but thats what they called the drill. what is a swedish turn? sounds like we were doing left leg ollie/right leg nollie and repeat

A swedish turn is you doing that drill, ollie on one ski simultaneously nollie on the other, whilst linking short radius turns down the fall line........ (seriously).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
veeeight, AND TURNING as well , yikes thankfully we didnt try that...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
turned up tonight and no training as they were setting up a timed course. apparently this is the done thing on the last thursday of the month Shocked

I do my best Bodie Miller impersonation, hit it hard and manage to not finished all three runs Laughing did have fun though and on one run made all the hard turns but entered the easy flat section with some speed but on the opposite (harder) side of the gate and finished incorrectly instead of taking the easy line...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Manage to get 4 goes in on a tricky course that was set up to test the young uns course inspection skills. Apparently most dont take it too serious and then race too slow on the first run. after doing a slow inspection I actually manage to finish the first two runs with some speed at the end. Smile We then practice starts for an hour and then back to the gates and i get a bit ambitious and manage two fast(ish) starts which results in two even faster crashes after the 4th gate. Got all cut up and bloody Toofy Grin Madeye-Smiley

THis doesnt seem to be getting much easier Skullie
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret

Quote:

THis doesnt seem to be getting much easier

It doesn't snowHead Stick with it -- the results are worth it ! wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ski wrote:
It doesn't

I think that was meant to read
Quote:
It does

It just takes months rather than hours Wink - but the payback is BIG. BTW I finally signed up for the Snow Orks course this morning snowHead , so see you on Dec 1st - in time for that 06:15 plane Shocked Shocked Shocked .

Better start sharpening my skis now for tomorrow morning's training, or it'll be pointless going Sad .
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GrahamN, cool, at least there will be two 40 pluses on the course!!! at the moment i have to say i am not looking forward to it....
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret wrote:
at the moment i have to say i am not looking forward to it....

I'm quite anxious about it as well. I'll do a report on what the course is like to allay (or heighten) your fears Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
skimottaret wrote:

I'm quite anxious about it as well. I'll do a report on what the course is like to allay (or heighten) your fears Smile

Hi Rob - It looks like a few English/British team hopefuls will be training the same week as you Laughing

So no excuses, step up your fitness programme and get ready to sharpen your skis nightly Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stewart woodward wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
skimottaret wrote:

Hi Rob - It looks like a few English/British team hopefuls will be training the same week as you Laughing

So no excuses, step up your fitness programme and get ready to sharpen your skis nightly Very Happy

Oh, that's just great rolling eyes I do love to make a complete twit of myself in front of other people. Emma did say that it would be a little bit "in at the deep end". Guess she wasn't kidding. I'll happily service my skis every night, but I suspect that dull edges will be the least of my challenges...
snow conditions
rob@rar, which week are you on? The GS one?

I am thinking now i made a mistake starting with SL not having done any gates or GS. Oh well yet another time i will look like a twit in front of better skiers Toofy Grin
latest report
skimottaret, Rob's on the October SL/TT course. Talking to Emma, she said we have a full range of skiers on our week, from 50 FIS (gulp Shocked ) to those pretty much starting out (I guess that includes us Wink ). She reckoned it'd be no problem, as once we're in the gates we all essentially work at our own speed - I guess it's just a good test of her skill as a coach to keep track of us all Wink . Don't worry...it'll be a great week (assuming the wind's low enough for us to actually get up there - I'm trusting it can't happen two years running as I had really bad luck with that last year Sad ).
ski holidays
skimottaret, as Graham said, I'm on the slalom week. I've found that once you are doing laps around the course it can feel like you're on your own as often you don't see anyone else from your group because they're either on course, getting feedback, riding the drag back up or making their way to the start. Other than the humiliation factor it's fairly straightforward to be in a group with much better skiers than you are as everyone works on the same terrain or course and you get individual feedback on drills and runs through the gates.
snow report
GrahamN, rob@rar, i hadnt thought about the group getting strung out during the laps. I guess i just assumed it would be one at a time down the course so wont be too humiliating. 50 FIS points is sooo good i wont feel bad in that persons company and it will be cool to watch a real expert..

GrahamN, not sure you are just starting out wink looks like i am going to be the gumby in the group. Do they shut the courses in high winds? Or was it too windy for the chairlifts? Sounds cold,,,
latest report
GrahamN, skimottaret, Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
skimottaret, The Grande Motte is fairly exposed so if it is too windy the lifts can be closed.

I have been up to the top on a day when everything was closed, you could only just stand upright.
latest report
GrahamN, skimottaret, rob@rar,

Don't worry about the guy with 50 FIS points its the guys/girls who race on the World Cup circuit with less than 20 points who are the ones to worry about wink

Top tip - bring a flask with you, a hot drink and a chocolate biscuit helps mid morning Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
stewart woodward, thanks for the tip, I see you are on the snoworks web site, will you be there coaching/laughing at me during the course? Laughing
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
stewart woodward, thanks for the tip, I see you are on the snoworks web site, will you be there coaching/laughing at me during the course? Laughing

Probably both wink Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
stewart woodward, I'll bring a few extra biscuits then, look forward to meeting you. wink
latest report
Once I'm down south I'm planning to do some regular race training on plastic. Do people have skis especially reserved for plastic? (I'm talking people like skimottaret, not the kids who've been racing for years and have numerous sets). I've just bought some new Saloman 3v LAB but the thought of using them on plastic makes me feel slightly queasy, and don't want to knacker them for the snow. What should I do - hunt around for some cheaper second hand SL skis?
ski holidays
beanie1, i have some old gash SL skis i bought for 50 euros which I use on plastic. I have some Fischer RC4 SL's but no way are they going on the plastic.

I have noticed on my rossi's that the wax can wear off really quick and the base layer has gotten some wear, let alone using up edges on your good skis.
latest report
beanie1, I'd suggest having one pair for plastic and one for snow. The surfaces damage the skis in different ways, and I suspect you're better off keeping those damage patterns separate. Plastic blunts edges far quicker than snow, so you'll be sharpening them a LOT. What skis you go for depends on how serious you're going to take plastic. I've just bought another pair of Dynamic 1.2s (£315 including bindings) which suit me (and clearly some very good skiers too, looking at the CN cirtuit) down to the ground for plastic (softish, 10.5m radius, 155cm), but I'll need something different for snow (stiffer, probably not so tight a radius and 165cm).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, That's what I was thinking - where did you manage to pick them up?
snow report
GrahamN, Not sure how seriously i'll take it, depends how well i get on i guess!! Would prefer to get some pretty cheap first then can always upgrade. Are the rules on length different for plastic races then?
snow conditions
beanie1, got my cheapo rossi's in courchevel Toofy Grin but i did get my fischers on ebay, ex hire skis from austria for 175 quid including the FR17 bindings and vist plate they have about half the edge left so should be okay for a while.

have you sorted out a dry slope training venue yet? Brentwood trains on thursday night and i rate the two coaches. it can be busy with a lot of kids sometimes but the standard is pretty high. One of the lads was selected for England apparently.

GrahamN, 155's???? that seems really short, i thought you had nordicas of some description...
ski holidays
beanie1, Plastic races don't have to confirm to FIS rules, so most every one skis on 155s. The Dynamics are a good place to start - they're soft (you don't go as fast) and they're cheap ! rolling eyes Laughing
ski holidays
beanie1, Very much like the others, I have some Fischer RC4 SL (165) that won't see the plastic until they have been used some more on snow (abroard and at the new Hemel!) but I use old Atomics and Volkls for training and racing on plastic. it uses up the edges really quickly but you can keep the base burn in check with regular waxing.
snow report
beanie1, here's my late contribution to the discussion! I always have separate skis for snow and plastic, like everyone else says the plastic does knacker them - edges wear out quickly with all the sharpening and once the wax wears off the bases get a bit damaged - tho if you wax before every training session and race then they are usually OK. I had a pair of cheapie orions for plastic season just finished, which were £200 with bindings, binding fitting and delivery - they are softer than most of the "proper" race skis like atomic, salomon, fischer etc. I found them OK for my first season but on coaches recommendation got myself some salomon 3vs for next year (for £300 inc bindings!! Very Happy ) - they are looooooovely Very Happy Very Happy but think that I wouldn't have liked them last year - needed a solid year of racing and training on the softer skis to help me get into it and now I am more capable of driving the stiffer skis and using them properly....... Basically I reckon cheapies are the way to go, at least to start with, cos they don't last long! Very Happy enjoy the training Very Happy
snow conditions
silly question, but how far is brentwood from london?!
snow conditions
beanie1, Put your postcode and CM13 3DP into http://www.multimap.com/ and you will get directions and exact distance.
ski holidays
anyone know a contact at bromley for sat am training? I am starting to think training twice a week is going to be needed, we have been doing a lot of drills outside of the gates which I can do pretty well but when trying to make quick edge to edge turns it just isnt happening Crying or Very sad
snow report
skimottaret, This is their website http://www.justskiit.co.uk/ I have sent you a pm.
ski holidays
skimottaret,

Hiya - i know a couple of the coaches there, trying to sort it for myself too.
snow report
gsb, Thanks

beanie1, just got back after a session at Bromley, good bunch of kids there and they had two coaches Andy and Ray (basi Trainer)

they train on Sat 3-6 and monday 8-10. As i am so down on the learning curve will probably start going to Bromley as well as Brentwood on thursdays (7:30 - 9:30) perhaps see you there sometime

New drill of the week the Charleston, had heard of it but never seen it or tried to before. Took a few goes but didnt do to bad for my first time.... The tick tack drill is still impossible for me, must be my lack of rythm. Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy