Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Slalom training on plastic

Poster: A snowHead
After much encouragement from GrahamN, Ski and easiski I finally took the plunge and had my first session at the Aldershot race club. It was the first time on plastic in a decade, and my first time ever with slalom gates. I was very apprehensive before hand, but by the end of the evening I was having a real blast! I know there are two or three others who are deciding whether to give it a try, so I would say after tonight's experience you should definitely give it a go. Although I was nowhere near as quick as Graham and the others, who were very impressive, I did feel I made a little bit of progress just in a couple of hours, so I'm sure if I do this regularly it will benefit my skiing all round. If anyone has seen the film Bambi you will remember the scene where he first gets on the ice - that's how I felt for the first few runs, but by the end of the session I managed to complete the course without missing a gate.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, well done snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Michelle wrote:
rob@rar, well done snowHead

Thank you, Facebook Friend Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good for you! Racing on plastic is excellent for improving you technique.

For those in the Midlands, race training is available through Midland Ski Club: http://www.midlandski.org.uk . We had quite a few good results in the All England Championships at Sunderland last weekend.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar wrote:
I did feel I made a little bit of progress just in a couple of hours...

Rob's seriously underselling himself there: his progress was spectacular - in two hours he did what it took me about 6 months! He went from a clearly very nervous first couple of runs where he was desperately looking for enough space to do a few GS turns to some pretty confident SL runs, albeit still a bit skiddy on the tighter turns. What that's actually saying is that, unlike me, he's starting from a pretty solid basic technique on which to build - tightening turn shapes, higher edge angles etc.. And probably one of the most useful moves came about half way though, when he got his first fall out of the way, with no obvious injuries. Having cleared that mental hurdle you could suddenly see a load more confidence in his skiing.

Well done!

ski I think we're going to have some serious competition next year! (Thankfully in LSERSA he's in a different agegroup, at least from me Wink )
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
GrahamN wrote:
Well done!

Thanks mate, I really appreciate those comments, and your support in getting me there in the first place Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, Well done - I'm so glad you've put those plastic demons to rest. Have fun. Very Happy
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Good stuff rob@rar, I've been considering doing something like this myself. There must be similar at Hillend I would think, I know there's tons of kids racing up there, just need to find a suitable gathering of old folks Confused
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, Well done. Roll on next year ! snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
brian, Hillend offers free race coaching on Saturday evenings and last season (due to lack of snow time) I went up quite a few weeks for an hour or so after putting the kids to bed. Its mostly youngsters but a few adults showed up on a couple of the nights - the coaches seemed happy enough.

However I just can't face the plastic until its fairly cold, and preferably raining, so probably won't go again until around November/December.
snow report
 brian
brian
balernoStu, I was up last Sunday (kids were at a tubing party), slower than a fairly slow thing.

Maybe come up with you then, I'm not interested in racing for its own sake, it would be a means to preparation/improvement for the snow, so Nov/Dec sounds ideal.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
brian wrote:
I'm not interested in racing for its own sake, it would be a means to preparation/improvement for the snow...

That's almost word for word what I was saying 2 years ago Wink Laughing .
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Hillend setup was quite informal, without timing, so I would usually ski for a bit and do a few runs in the gates then ski for a bit more. It just adds a bit of focus for those of us who don't fancy the jumps!

I find plastic quite hard work on the feet and muscles round the knees, so think it must be good physical preparation for a snow holiday.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Has anyone been to the Bromley ski slope? That's my nearest one and I'm beginning to come round to the idea it might be quite fun to try it out Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cathy, I've been there for a few races, but not for any training. It's a nice slope, with a couple of rollers and some bumps for the freestyle doods. It's a pity it doesn't have a misting system, but I've never really noticed my skis burning there, so maybe they put something on the matting to address that. The race club is very good - probably the best "south of the river" - and although (as most places) it's mostly kids (including a few 20-somethings) it does have a couple of adults training there, although they are also pretty good. I'd suggest you contact the slope for details of who you need to talk to.
latest report
cathy,

Go on give the plastic a try. You will love 'the real stuff' afterwards wink wink
snow conditions
rob@rar, Well done for taking the plunge onto the dry slope scene.
latest report
srobbo, when do you start on plastic again?
ski holidays
spyderjon, Full programme starts Mon 1st Oct, can't wait Smile , then runs through to 16th March
snow conditions
GrahamN,

What times are the race club then? Sunday 8.00 am til 9.45? I''m interested in this is it aimed at the older (over 40ers)? And could my daughter 7 join in?
ski holidays
cfc5mu0, assuming you're asking about Aldershot rather than Bromley, 8:00-9:30am on SATURDAY for the adults (only, I'm afraid) - pretty free and easy arrangements with a pretty wide range of ability. The kids' club are on at the same/similar time on Sunday. They are quite a bit more structured than us though and have I think one specific entry point each year, a waiting list and a trial ski-off to get in, which will probably be coming up in a month or so. There is also a kids' learners club that follows directly after us on Sat though which is run by the slope itself. A few of our club have kids in those classes. So it really depends what level your daughter is - but I'm afraid I don't know where the dividing line is at age 7, but I doubt it's too high a bar. They have some fairly good 9-yos but all I know about the 7yos is that they don't have any that go to regional races yet. If you want the kids' secretary's email I can PM it to you.
ski holidays
GrahamN, thanks for the info. I think I'll give them a ring and have a try at least.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cathy, Where are you based ? The club I coach meets at Bowles - near Tunbridge Wells early (5:30/6ish) on a Friday evening.
latest report
ski, I'm at Crystal Palace so Tunbridge Wells is do-able, although not for 5.30, but Bromley is closer. That's a shame.
latest report
rob@rar, GrahamN, As soon as I move down I'll be coming to join you!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beanie1, excellent! When do you move down south?
snow conditions
Should be November.
snow conditions
Now considering London Bridge as a location to live rather than Putney (shorter commute) so Aldershot not as accessible. Bromley would be closer. Does anyone train there, or know if they do race training for adults? I know they have a very strong club, but is it mainly youngsters?

Thanks
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beanie1, Have a look at www.justskiit.co.uk. Chatham and Medway also train at Bromley. At Bowles (a bit further away) we ceratinly encourage adults as well as children. We usually have some folk going through the BASI system as well snowHead Let me know if you would like any more info on clubs/slopes in the area.
ski holidays
beanie1, Brentwood may be an option for you train out of liverpool street is about 25 minutes.

http://www.brentwoodskicentre.co.uk/site/frameindex.htm
snow report
okay major dose of reality and honesty after my first session on the plastic at brentwood, i was rubbish...

Started off with drills that i could sort of do, to one i hadnt heard of before and really struggled to do (tic tacks). The kids all did just fine and managed to get good angulation, high edge angles and get great grip on the plastic. I just skidded around a lot and sat back.

The gates went up and i was told they were set fairly difficult in preparation for the upcoming weekend race. One coach asked me if i was doing instructor training and i meekly replied i just passed... He says "plastic takes a while to get used to" in order not to embarrass me... The coaches took pity on me and advised starting at the midway point but with the little pride i had left I started at the top with the teenagers and after 3 goes managed to finish the course. It was kinda tricky with a "banana" turn in the middle which messed me up but i finished so slow i had to skate the final few gates.

NOT GOOD AT ALL and very bummed at how c**p i was... lots of work ahead. On the only positive note i didnt fall over and hurt myself.
snow report
skimottaret, it's tricky isn't it! I've had another couple of sessions and have made a bit of progress, but still skidding massively. It's not like snow and it does take a while to get used to...
snow report
skimottaret, Confused

Gonna put the TT off for a bit then wink

On another topic - the APM. I asked BACE about their accommodation package, and yet again they expect full payment at the time of booking!! If find it very annoying, as it's not the industry norm. So I'm going to put off booking accommodation for a while.
snow conditions
skimottaret, Well done. Keep going... it is worth it ! snowHead Have you started learning about navigation yet for the off-piste ?
snow conditions
beanie1, permanently at this rate... I just got my booking through from them and will be signing up. Not expecting to pass but will be a good training week non the less.

ski, i will perservere, it cant get any worse.... funny just got my maps and Eric langmuires book through this am.. something else to look foolish at Laughing
snow conditions
skimottaret, a bit humbling isn't it Embarassed . I think you're starting from a higher base that I did, but I think I just about managed a total of about 2 turns on my first run...and then probably fell over. At least we don't train with, and so are not shown up by, the kids. Stick with it and it does really work your touch and grip skills though. Were you on your own or club skis - and how sharp were they? If they aren't sharp enough to cut your fingers they aren't sharp enough Wink .

Also don't be (entirely) disheartened by quite how good some of them are. I only know a few of the BWD skiers, but Dan is pretty hot stuff. Maybe not quite top rank at national level, but is definitely at the top of the next rank. In the SRSA series just finished he had a 100% record, winning every race and every head-to-head he entered - the first person ever to have done so. Dan is probably a way above TT level, but I would guess Corey is just about there, as his skiing has stepped up a level in the last couple of months.

What's the "tic tacks" drill?
snow conditions
skimottaret, It's very odd when you first start isn't it Laughing Top tip; don't use the tele kit next time. Toofy Grin
Brentwood's round of the ERSA summer league is on 30th September; see you there?
ski holidays
GrahamN, it's stepping one ski over at at time in a short swing pattern and rhythm, ie use poles for support in front of you, skis parallel directed down and to right, step right inside ski over to become new outside, then left outside over as new inside to match parallel again pointing down and to left, repeat. It's easy to break into a short swing which i'm told isn't the point of the exercise.
snow report
Quote:

Top tip; don't use the tele kit next time

Anyone up for tele race then ? Shocked
ski holidays
slikedges, little bit confused by that - only way I can understand that is if you're getting right and left a bit mixed up Wink .

So is it this?

Code:

Fall line

|             //
   |            / \
   |              \\
   |
   V

as what I read from what you've written (trying to follow your rights and lefts) is

Code:

Fall line

|             //
   |             X
   |            splat!
   |
   V

Shocked Laughing Laughing

Assuming you're jumping the step, and jumping onto the new uphill/inside edge of the left ski, this also sounds a bit like a short swing version of the Charleston. And the object of the exercise is (other than just to not fall over)? Actually one of our guys spent a bit of time this spring trying to master this - primarily just to say he could (but he didn't really get there).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy