Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

les 2 alpes pistes

Poster: A snowHead
It is hard to believe some of the pistes in L2A are what they claimb to be- I have skied a blue there that everyone there was saying was more like a steep red there, and also, an entire black that i would call an easy red. I think thay just go down them and decide if they can pass them as a different colour to try and say thay have more particular coloured pistes & attract more people to the area! Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
YOU BE VERY CAREFUL !!!!!!

DON'T FALL INTO THE TRAP. LEARN THE RULES BEFORE YOU COMMIT.

ATLEAST I AM NO LONGER THE VILLAIN ANYMORE!!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CREVASSE _07, Piste grading is a mystery in many resorts. There is a blue in La Rosiere where the top 100m is without doubt black and the other 1500m green. Even resorts with the easiest of runs can get it wrong
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
frosty-is that the one going away from la thuile?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CREVASSE _07 wrote:
It is hard to believe some of the pistes in L2A are what they claimb to be- I have skied a blue there that everyone there was saying was more like a steep red there, and also, an entire black that i would call an easy red. I think thay just go down them and decide if they can pass them as a different colour to try and say thay have more particular coloured pistes & attract more people to the area! Puzzled

I can't comment on LDA as I've never visited. your thoughts could be coloured by pisting policy at the time you were actually in the resort. Was your black pisted in lovely pristine condition. Now imagine it unpisted for 2 weeks with large moguls and decide whether it would be black then.

I remember M one of the blacks in courchevel being a lovely cruisy run 9 years. 2 years ago is was steep tight moguls all the way from top to bottom
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CREVASSE _07, yes from the top of the San Bernado lift, hang a right to La Ros, and decide at which point you dare straight line it Very Happy great fun.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dan100 - there was recent powder so that could be true although it was no steep
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
[quote="letitsnow"]YOU BE VERY CAREFUL !!!!!!

ATLEAST I AM NO LONGER THE VILLAIN ANYMORE!!![/quote]

wot dya mean?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

letitsnow wrote:
YOU BE VERY CAREFUL !!!!!!

ATLEAST I AM NO LONGER THE VILLAIN ANYMORE!!!

wot dya mean?

If you refer to les 2 alpes-whats the attraction thread you will see that criticising 2 alpes in any form is not allowed on this website!

Apparently i have a horses head being delivered to my bed for opening my mouth without knowing the rules.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
oh
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
letitsnow, It was a good laugh, but in reality is absolute tosh Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman, 100 meters of slope distance or 100 meters of vertikal?

In the first case, *looks at the pair of skis with the letters S t ö c k l i G S behind him*, I'm in NehNeh

I think all resorts have rather dubious ratings at times... Grindelwald/First has a blue that I avoided after 2.5 weeks... They have a red that I avoided a few days more ;P... Did do a few mild blacks on the other side of the valley (Kleine Scheidegg) before that.

Had to pole myself along on some black in Tignes (although some parts were a bit steeper fortunately)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CREVASSE _07, I don't think we're alone. We do have some very odd markings, but TBH I've never found a black here that I thought should be red - the other was round for sure. We have blues that are red some years and blue the next (Gours and Bellecombe) and some blues that are almost black (escape from Le Fee). We have reds that are almost vertical for a bit (top of La Combe du Thuit) ... All resorts mark their runs to try to attract visitors. However, to be serious, many resorts mark on the steepest part of the run, whereas some (LDA among them) mark on the overall average from top to bottom of the run. therefore you could get flats and steeps and it would still be a blue. What percentage you use for the various colours seems to be up to the resorts themselves (lift companies). Therefore all run marking everywhere should be taken with a huge pinch of salt and only used as a very rough guide.

letitsnow, You went onto my apartment thread and slagged off LDA, not saying "I wasn't so keen", but basically saying it was rubbish. Your thread is now in the right place. BTW cruelty to horses isn't allowed either.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ronald,
Quote:

some parts were a bit steeper

I think that's something people occasionally forget - pistes only have to have a short section of something nasty to be legitimately upgraded. Once the beginner is past the point of no return, it's no help to say that the steep bit is only short!
latest report
Ronald, distance
snow report
easiski,
Quote:

whereas some (LDA among them) mark on the overall average from top to bottom of the run

Really? Shocked That completely negates what I've just said, and sounds pretty dangerous to me!
snow report
Hurtle, Agreed, surely runs SHOULD/MUST be graded on the most difficult point of the run throughout its length.
snow report
Quote:

letitsnow, You went onto my apartment thread and slagged off LDA, not saying "I wasn't so keen", but basically saying it was rubbish. Your thread is now in the right place. BTW cruelty to horses isn't allowed either.

I did cover the positives of my trip, particularly at village level so i feel although slightly negative it was balanced.

I have no grudges and are not anti(2alpes) and as i said i may well try again in the future with Rob.
snow report
I also may add , any publicity is good publicity. I reckon i've drilled you up a whole lot of potential business since i started this as there have certainly been only positives aimed in your direction!

Fancy a holiday in Verbier with your earnings??? Very Happy
snow conditions
letitsnow, I think you were unfortunate that you chose that thread, and didn't post in the Resorts section.
latest report
Quote:

Fancy a holiday in Verbier with your earnings

Watch it.

Televerbier is guilty of inconsistent piste grading as well. It may be apocryphal but I've been told by numerous people that companies grade the slopes so that they get a good mix of pistes to advertise in their brochures/websites to attract the widest range of skiers.
snow conditions
BGA, that reminds me - one thing Verbier could do with improving is the signing of pistes. Also a piste map that bears some relationship to reality would be a help. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Hurtle, Frosty the Snowman, I actually disagree. I think the average is a better idea - of course it depends on what percentage the average is! However it always used to be: Green = easy; blue = middling; red=difficult; black=very difficult. the fact that so many resorts have changed these to mean blue=still easy; red= middling and black= difficult does not mean we all have to! Read the legend on the maps first, ask locals who've skied around a bit how the runs compare with other resorts before going out. My experience is that when stopping on the mountain to offer assistance to brits who are obviously not sure where they are/where they want to go/or lost, I get a snapped rude response, so I've given up!! The french and dutch for example do at least decline (if they want to) with a degree of politeness.

I do agree and have said so on many, many occasions that there needs to be consensus about piste marking on at least a national level, and preferably on an international level. it would also help to have at least 6 gradings, but that's an impossible dream.
snow report
Quote:

letitsnow, I think you were unfortunate that you chose that thread, and didn't post in the Resorts section.

Yeah, sorry i'm new to all this and will learn with time, although i appear to have the knack of riling people when i don't tend to!

To put the record straight i also realise that 2 alpes has contributed alot to skiing "democratising" our beloved sport, allowing the masses to experience affordale, high altitude, snow sure skiing.

From the people i know i also realise it is a nice place to live year round as it is not just a winter sports resort. Some epople live here and don't even ski, apparently(atleast it used to be the caseaccording to my sources)
snow conditions
easiski wrote:
Hurtle, Frosty the Snowman, I actually disagree. I think the average is a better idea - of course it depends on what percentage the average is! However it always used to be: Green = easy; blue = middling; red=difficult; black=very difficult. the fact that so many resorts have changed these to mean blue=still easy; red= middling and black= difficult does not mean we all have to! Read the legend on the maps first, .................. it would also help to have at least 6 gradings, but that's an impossible dream.

I will never forget my period as a learner and going down a blue piste to be faced with a 150 m section of what seemed like vertical ice. It destroys both the confidence and the underpants to have reaaly hard bits in a blue piste.

I recall a thread many moons ago about an extra piste grading that ran for a while Laughing
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=14658
snow report
BGA wrote:
Quote:

Fancy a holiday in Verbier with your earnings

Watch it.

Televerbier is guilty of inconsistent piste grading as well. It may be apocryphal but I've been told by numerous people that companies grade the slopes so that they get a good mix of pistes to advertise in their brochures/websites to attract the widest range of skiers.

Of course they do. Slope grading is a relative thing within each resort. There's no absolute measures and never really could be.

Snow conditions also effect difficulty of a slope as much as gradient. And it's not always easy to control those Madeye-Smiley
snow report
It happens in Scotland too.
Apparently the blue main basin at Glencoe is steeper that every other blue run in Scotland and the Spring run should really be black
rolling eyes
But unless there is an EU standard the gradings are only meant as guides in each resort
Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
CREVASSE _07, yes from the top of the San Bernado lift, hang a right to La Ros, and decide at which point you dare straight line it Very Happy great fun.

That'll be the one at which I was pontificating "Blue my back bottom!" then wink

Oddly the next day, with fewer people about, it wasn't half as difficult. Never mind season-to-season - day-to-day has variation!
latest report
Well, I once posted an opinion on here that 2Alpes was good for beginner/improving boarders because it had lots of easy blue runs from the glacier. I was flamed by a zillion people who told me that said blues were really steep and nasty.

I still think they're quite easy really.
snow conditions
easiski wrote:
However, to be serious, many resorts mark on the steepest part of the run, whereas some (LDA among them) mark on the overall average from top to bottom of the run.

IMHO The resorts that grade for the steepest/most difficult part of the run are doing it right, This is of major importance to people unfamiliar with a resort and lacking the skills to ski the black section on a blue run. They almost certainly WILL be put off when they enter a blue thats green, cept for a section like the Hanegg schuss (42 degrees, 90 something %) or the Hundschopf (44 degrees, 98%) in Wengens Worldcup decent.

People who are familiar with a resort don't need the markings. (Therefore I don't hesitate to take a 2nd weeker or a good 1st weeker onto the Langetreien section of Wengens worldcup, marked black... kids love that NehNeh ... its blue steepness... in fact this year we had no choice, as the blue alternative never been properly skiable with a beginning client)
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, "I will never forget my period as a learner and going down a blue piste to be faced with a 150 m section of what seemed like vertical ice. It destroys both the confidence and the underpants to have reaaly hard bits in a blue piste."

Yes - but if you're a learner you shouldn't be on a middling run, but on an easy one. Surely? That's the trouble, so many resorts have dumbed down their run colours that many peeps assume blue = easy when it doesn't always, and historically never did. We'll be having to copy the yanks next with double blacks - yuk!

Ronald, Yes - of course anyone who knows a resort will know where to go (doesn't mean they actually know where to take who). However I see no reason not to have an international standard. That would also have the excellent effect of bringing the right sort of tourist to each resort.

letitsnow, It is my experience that the majority of people who come here are nice, ordinary people. (You are now implying that only bottom of the barrel skiers come here.) Neither one extreme not the other. You are also implying that less well-off people shouldn't be skiing. That is really offensive. Lots of people are not well off, and I see no reason either why they should not go skiing, or why they shouldn't know how to behave well. You can't help being nasty can you? Do you go by another name on this forum by any chance???? Even if new, it should be clear that the heading marked "Resorts" is where you write/ask about resorts. The heading "chalets and apartments" is where you write/ask about that!

Lizzard, agreed there are easy blues here too. Glacier, Serre Palas, Mura, Jandri (can be easy if you go round the steep bits), Toura is not hard, Goulet du Grand Nord. However we also have Gours, Bellecombe, Grand Nord, Grand Nord Bis, Combe du Thuit - can't be bothered to list the rest, but I think it's a mixed bag. Very Happy
snow report
Dome(glacier red) & Diable(black when u come off the diable bubble and ski down right to the Diable chair which u take up to the run)
snow conditions
 brian
brian
CREVASSE _07, may I suggest the S&R skier scale for your next thread ? wink Toofy Grin
latest report
Maybe some compromise is in order - maybe a %age - 90blue/10Red ? at the end of the day conditions make soooo much difference - all part of the game really. Keep taking the lessons and any advice you can get on the day!
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Incidentally, the Swiss don't have green runs, just blue/red/black and it seems to be the case that ungroomed blacks have been relabelled as "itineraries" and are usually marked in yellow.
ski holidays
CREVASSE _07, Do you mean the little short bit going down to the Super Diable chairlift or the run down to the old 2 man chair which brings you back to the resto at the top of the red eggs? What about the Dome? Do you mean you found it easy? or what? It's not the hardest red in the world for sure, but a classic example of the steepest bit school of thought. It's pretty steep for about 200m in the middle - this would be marking like in Courcheval, which so many peeps see to like.
ski holidays
Lizzard, you were flamed because you forgot to mention the fact that the glacier blues are a pig to get to for novice boarders and when you get there - they are served by drags or by the train (which is accessed from a tricky run and departed from along 100 meters of flat to get to the start of the nice blue run Very Happy
latest report
rayscoops wrote:
Lizzard, you were flamed because you forgot to mention the fact that the glacier blues are a pig to get to for novice boarders and when you get there - they are served by drags or by the train (which is accessed from a tricky run and departed from along 100 meters of flat to get to the start of the nice blue run Very Happy

It was fine for me. For people on skis it's not a problem NehNeh wink
ski holidays
rayscoops, You can get to the funicular via the lift from the back of the restaurant building - no need to surf there at all. Little Angel
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy