Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What’s in these backpacks?

Poster: A snowHead
@JDL65, Well said.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JDL65 wrote:
Why on earth does anyone need to carry a spare pair of googles? Just make do if conditions change, It really isn't that difficult.
Bit like wanting to take different skis for every conceivable different snow condition.
If you are going off piste or skiing with little kids, then a back pack is fine, in most other cases it is totally not needed.

Out of interest, what do you suggest I carry my flask of coffee, sarnies & snacks in? Puzzled rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I still find it amazing how many people are annoyed at what others decide to take to make this hobby more enjoyable? Last time I checked, most of us do this for fun. So what if someone wants a spare set of goggles or 18 bags of sweets and 4 mid-layers?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
I still find it amazing how many people are annoyed at what others decide to take to make this hobby more enjoyable? Last time I checked, most of us do this for fun. So what if someone wants a spare set of goggles or 18 bags of sweets and 4 mid-layers?

To be fair it would be bloody infuriating if the backpack interferes with the perception of my pole clicking..
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@SnoodyMcFlude, +1.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Origen wrote:

I never have the slightest idea of how far I've skied, either vertically or horizontally (that's something else we could have arguments about...) but that was a long day! We covered a lot of ground, with empty pistes and no lift queues.

Quite!

I can never figure out why anyone even need to know how far they’ve skied? It’s not like they actually have to make the effort to keep moving (like in hiking or cycling). Most are just busy trying to prevent the body moving too fast or too far, aren’t they? Laughing

Never mind they’re supposed to be on holiday. Or perhaps they’re not? If they’re “working” so hard and need to keep track of the work they’ve done, on their holiday? rolling eyes

But, in the latest spirit of this thread, what do I care how far others skied? Or even, what do I care how people spent their holiday? If they want to count how hard they “work” on their holiday, why should I care? Sorry, I shouldn’t care. But I just got curious.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:

Not annoyance on my part- just an observation. DOI- when skiing with my family (mrs Ed and 3 kids) I'd always have a backpack.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have always skiied with a small backpack. The main reason, we don't tend to have big lunches on the mountain so will take a few smaller bits with us. I also take my low light lenses, a bottle of water and another mid-layer. It's not fun being cold. I also don't link having bulky things in my pockets.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 27-02-24 15:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I appear to wear a rucksack just so that I can carry all Lady F's crap, so she can look stylish, unencumbered and elegant.

I'm fairness, I carry water, spare layers, beanie, sunglasses etc. I got so used to carrying a pack full of off piste kit in my first season, when we actually had lots of snow, that I've just worn one ever since. In spring, I find myself sticking my shell jacket in the bag and skiing in a T-shirt when it gets warm.

I actually also use mine as a ski carrier, so when I get kids from ski school and end up having to carry their skis etc mine are nicely strapped to my backpack.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Having quickly reviewed this thread, I modify my response. I wear an off-piste rucksack just so that disapproving one week a year holiday skiers can wonder why, and post about it on here.

Same reason I wear fat powder skis on slush days. Nothing to do with their utility - it's all just to confuse other people.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The main reason I wear a backpack is to carry water. In fact, my “backpack” is a hydration pack that has some extra pockets for spare gloves, socks, neck gaiters etc…

Sure, some of those “extra” things I can stuff into my pocket, which I do if I’m without a pack and the day warms up. But on days I need to drink constantly, I really can’t stuff enough water bottles inside my jacket pocket.

No, I’m NOT STOPPING just for water! I will NOT interrupt my skiing just to get water. No way!

I’d much rather carry a hydration pack with a drinking tube so I can sip from it every 15 minutes. No way I’m stopping every 15 minutes to find a drinking fountain!

(Though to be fair, once I acclimatized, I don’t need to drink as frequently. Then I would ski without the pack. Especially if I’m only out for a couple hours, low risk of the weather changing on me)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I can't believe this thread is still going.

Also, this just came up on my Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0hXyPzOs3P/?igsh=NGY2MnZ0Nm1jM3Q1
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm in the mountains year round for trail running, hiking, skiing, etc so I'm used to wearing at least a running vest so I tend to be more comfortable having water/snacks/layers than not.

I'm also not a 'traditional' resort skier. I usually am solo so I won't be in the backcountry, but I don't like spending time or money in huts/restaurants on the slopes. I want to bring my own food and get my own quiet spot for a quick lunch. I also like being comfortable, so I rather carry layers and change than be too hot/cold or have to take warmup breaks. I'm on the mountain to ski, not have a pampered beach holiday!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On piste skis no backpack. Small bumbag with sandwich, sunnies, google lens. Jacket pockets soft 500ml drink bottle, beanie, phone, wallet, few humbugs. Much nicer skiing. Off piste skis then back pack with all the usual safety stuff.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hi colin
snow report
Hi Ed?
snow report
Put one of these in your rucsac.

http://youtube.com/v/UqRVgIROFg4

Crushable and only weighs 440grms. Pulls out of your rucsack so that you can quickly cover yourself and your companion in the event of a chairlift stoppage. Will keep you comfortable until the chairlift restarts or you are rescued! Quick and easy to repack. Lots of over uses in the hills too!
latest report
Mostly stuff for my wife.
snow report
Orwell wrote:
Mammut 15L. Water bladder, snacks, sunglasses, medical stuff, sun cream, hat, wallet, phone, maybe a camera. Can’t stand carrying things in pockets.

I’ve defected. It only took skiing late season for the first time, in the blazing sunshine, to turn me. Always sceptical of the idea of cramming my pockets, but I’ve got 2 pockets on my trousers, three on my shell, and 1 breast pocket on my mid layer, which is more than enough space to spread out everything but the water bladder, but a small bottle does the job between breaks.
latest report
Harry Flashman wrote:

Same reason I wear fat powder skis on slush days. Nothing to do with their utility - it's all just to confuse other people.

There is nothing better on a "it's too slushy" afternoon than some big ass rockered Pow skis and pebble dashing anyone who gets too close to you wink
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, Yeah, I might consider getting out my beaten-up 122 Salomons when the rocks start showing through, but the new 120 Atomics are doing a splendid job at the moment. The plume they leave is particularly impressive, I'm told snowHead
ski holidays
I use my ancient Whitedot Preachers (114mm waist, but cambered) for end of season rock hopping and slush. I haven't edge tuned them in years, just waxed. They behave like a drifty pair of surfboards, which is perfect.

Sadly the old bindings are shot, and I can't re-mount as frankly the skis have been redrilled too many times and are at the end of their lives, having been abused for well over a decade. Replacement resort slush/snowy day ski is a pair of Line Blade Optic 104s - in a longer 184cm length due to having a lot of rocker at tip and tail, unlike my 179cm Preachers. And I know I'm going to be a bit precious with them, being new and all...
latest report
On topic, I skiied without a backpack recently.

I felt naked. It was horrible.
ski holidays
One skier in VT yesterday was pretty glad we had back-packs with avy' gear to dig him out of the on piste slide he was stuck in.
ski holidays
@adithorp, Shocked
snow report
adithorp wrote:
One skier in VT yesterday was pretty glad we had back-packs with avy' gear to dig him out of the on piste slide he was stuck in.

Where was that?
snow report
@adithorp, yikes - well done.

Today:

Evoc 20L pack integrated back protector

Morning tour up tracks

No avi gear
Down jacket
Thin wind jacket
Merino gloves
Canopy goggles
Car key
Dakine tool
Phone
1L water
Spare spectacles
Buff
Zip ties
Skins sack
snow report
sugarmoma666 wrote:
adithorp wrote:

Where was that?

On Cime red run by post 20. Cat track bit at the top above the bowl with the Black run on the other side. Zero viz' whiteout at the time so we weent sure how far down at the time and went back to to check yesterday Crown wall was under the CimeCarron observation platform. Not very big but enough to fill the cat track.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I used to cary a backpack but I switched to a larger jacket (at least two sizes larger than my usual) with a lot of very large pockets, I pair this with similar trousers with extra leg pockets.

I find the baggy stuff much warmer, more comfortable, fits better over armour and it has the added bonus of extra pocket space.

The outcome is that I can cary the full list of items most people have in their bags for piste skiing in the various pockets for both me and my son. I can't fit in a large flask or avi probes or shovels and I have to take multiple smaller water bottles but the soft stuff and the extra gloves are usually fine.

Downside is that I'm not as aerodynamic at high speeds but that doesn't really bother me because I'm not interested in going 100kmph+ for safety reasons. I also look a lot more chunky but I don't worry too much about appearance in that respect.
snow report
I’m not sure that spending £300+ to end up looking like the Michelin man just so I don’t have to carry a rucksack is all that much of a good plan for me.
snow report
@Orwell, Heretic! May you suffer eternal dehydration with your devils groin-warmed water and codpiece effect pockets. . . Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
Got my pack searched for alcohol today getting on Pioneers in VT Shocked Laughing
latest report
@adithorp, Shocked
ski holidays
adithorp wrote:
Got my pack searched for alcohol today getting on Pioneers in VT Shocked Laughing
is that forbidden?! Some of us are contemplating bringing wine for picnic lunches on the slopes, on the EoSB.
latest report
@Hurtle, not as far as I know. Who searched you @adithorp, ?
snow conditions
I don't see the difference between wine in a backpack for a picnic or wine in a restaurant
ski holidays
Isn’t that to avoid people hanging around outside the Folie drinking (without paying) - probably not your first choice for a picnic location.
ski holidays
First aid kit, quite handy when someone skied over one of our party’s hand in St Anton in January, managed to strap him up well enough to get to the first aid post.
ski holidays
@Pejoli, but that should be dealt with at the Folie, not at the lifts in the morning.
latest report
Was it in the morning?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy