Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What’s in these backpacks?

Poster: A snowHead
Have been skiing in the Arlberg for the last 10 days and it seems like every second person is wearing a backpack.

People don’t do ski with backpacks in Australia where I am from.

What is in these backpacks?

I don’t think it’s avalanche stuff. These aren’t big powder days or off piste skiers, just regular skiiers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I carry a drink, lightweight gloves (liners or outers depending on weather forecast), spare layer, emergency blanket, buff
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
In my case:
- Lunch
- Snacks
- Flask of tea
- Water
- Down jacket
- Balaclava
- Glove liners
- Heated hand warmers
- Survival bag
- Ski lock
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I carry:

- my mid layer
- my sunglasses
- my beanie
- spare batteries for the Action 4
- pole for the Action 4

- hydration pack
- home made jerky
- first aid kit

- OH's mid layer
- OH's sunglasses
- OH's low-light lens
- OH's bobble hat
- OH's powerbank (her euro-sim phone is old and hates the cold)

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 24-01-24 15:54; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
- water
- mid-layer
- whichever of goggles / sunglasses I'm not wearing
- down gilet
- survival bag
- ski lock
- snacks (usually some cashew nuts and chocolate/nut bar)
- ski lock
- hat
- balaclava/buff if not wearing
- spare gloves

Usually shovel and probe, too.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
When children were small used to carry practically an entire 2nd wardrobe! Plus chocolate, water, flask of hot choc, wipes, hankies, spare goggles/sunglasses etc etc - Do NOT miss those days. Now ski with a camel back, so water and just enough space for a small bar of chocolate and some sunblock.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No need of you're not off piste.

Too cold = Mountain Hut
Too hot = Drink at Mountain Hut
Thirsty = As Above
Hungry = You get the picture......

If I need sun cream, I give it to someone with a backpack! Cool
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Toilet roll! Everybody's forgotten the toilet roll!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Klamm Franzer wrote:

Too cold = Mountain Hut
Thirsty = As Above

You sound just like my other half!

Poor visibility = alm...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kitchen sink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A massive bluetooth speaker to play crap Euro pop Toofy Grin

But in reality - water bottle, hat (to put on at lunch stops) inner gloves, phone charger, snack
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You don't need a kitchen sink provided you have some hand wash gel and, of course, some hand cream because that stuff dries your skin out so badly.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Klamm Franzer wrote:

Too cold = Mountain Hut
Thirsty = As Above

I would agree other than I tend to take a small suncream stick that I pop into a pocket rather than the 500ml Ambre Soleil factor 8 tanning oil I used in the costa del Sol in summer 2007...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Essayer wrote:
Have been skiing in the Arlberg for the last 10 days and it seems like every second person is wearing a backpack.

People don’t do ski with backpacks in Australia where I am from.

I don’t think it’s avalanche stuff. These aren’t big powder days or off piste skiers, just regular skiiers

Water
Flat light lens for goggles
Mid-layer
Beanie
Repeat all the above for my wife
Spare gloves for my kids
Sweets for my kids
Portable phone charger
GoPro
GoPro stick
Sunglasses
Sun cream
room key
Ipad - for the kids for some peace when trying to have an rewarding apres beer!

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 25-01-24 11:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Essayer wrote:
Have been skiing in the Arlberg for the last 10 days and it seems like every second person is wearing a backpack. People don’t do ski with backpacks in Australia where I am from. What is in these backpacks?
I don’t think it’s avalanche stuff. These aren’t big powder days or off piste skiers, just regular skiers

I use a Dakine Poacher 14 which is tiny / lift safe and is pretty much a glorified water carrier (although it can take basic avi kit) - it also has an impact spine protector so gives me a little more confidence and allows me to strap my helmet and or skis on the rear which is v useful if doing a mini inbounds hike and / or at the end of the day / en route to and from apres.

Water (in bladder with insulated tube) This is the main reason I carry it as it means I can drink almost 'hands free' and more frequently (also better than squished up water bottles stuffed in a jacket pocket)
Synthetic Mid layer (apres / essential if weather changes / static outside at lunch on a cold day)
Beanie (apres / static outside at lunch on a cold day)
Snood / face mask (super freezing cold days / Nordics only)
Sunglasses (apres / outside at lunch)
Flat light goggle lens (essential if weather changes)
Ski lock & leash (essential in all French resorts but optional in Austria / Nordics)
Wallet & keys (thinking of downscaling to one of those credit card sized jobbies)
Mini vaping kit / battery / juice (essential for apres / post lunch!)
Lip Balm / Sun screen stick (essential)
Nurofen / Basic first Aid / McNett tenacious tape (essential)

Whilst I could probably stuff all of that (barring the mid-layer) into my Sabre jacket I'd rather not - the pack weighs nothing and most of the time I don't know its there

I do have one rule though - if anyone without a pack asks whether they can 'just put this in your bag please' they're treated to a scowl followed by a clear NO . . . . this includes the wife and all kids no matter how needy Cool
snow report
Always astonishes me the amount of backpacks, and the amount of stuff people take for a day of piste skiing. Never worn one on piste, even with 4 kids in tow. Never needed one. Everything needed fits in various pockets. To be honest I am a bit fascinated by the whole rigmarole so enjoying this thread!
ski holidays
@zikomo, Whether you agree with the amount / specifics of what peeps take is obvs personal; however it depends on

1 - Whether you're staying relatively local (within a few main lifts of one small resort) or a whole day out exploring different areas / multiple resorts
2 - The weather and if its consistent or not (which in most mountains its not)

I hate stuffing things into pockets as for me it just feels bulky / uncomfortable and it also hurts if you take a fall and land on something sharp (eg keys)
The only things in my pockets are my lift pass in the arm, a piste map in the napoleon and my mobile in the inner chest pocket - that's more than enough pocket clutter!
latest report
@zikomo, +1. Anything I need goes in my jacket or trouser pockets.
snow report
I already look sufficiently lumpy in my ski gear without stuffing my pockets full of clart (only my phone, a small wallet and several thousand tissues go in my pockets) so I have a tiny, chairlift-friendly backpack containing my other essentials. Everybody has a different idea of what's essential, but FWIW, mine are: small magnifying glass (I don't take my reading specs up the mountain) whistle, survival blanket, woolly hat, extra buff, spare base layer, water, sunnies, lippy, various medicaments I need to have with me, plus some painkillers, ski wax, ski padlock, spare gloves, my Kindle, tiny plastic bottle of toffee vodka to spike my hot chocolate, a few more tissues, and hand cleanser. Numerous people have expressed surprise at how much my Tardis-like backpack holds. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Water
Snacks
Hat
Sunglasses
Potentially an extra layer
Spare gloves
Ski lock
Wallet
Lip balm

I prefer not to have things in pockets, and couldn't fit all those things in pockets anyway.
snow report
@Hurtle, +1 plus 10/10 for accurate use of the word 'clart'

If you need to downscale on the glasses I fully recommend these - https://www.thinoptics.com/en-gb

The kids may take the p*ss but it enables accurate menu reading at lunch
snow conditions
It is indeed each to their own. But we are talking about resort skiing here. Not an expedition. And I don't think how far you intend to ski is relevant. I have nothing against people wearing backpacks and taking any amount of stuff with them, expect when they either hold the lift queue up with the faff of taking them off, or don't take them off and the liftie stops the lift until they do.

I just have never seen the need. There are plenty of very pleasant places to warm up, get a drink, something to eat in most ski areas. And I have never felt the need to change clothing throughout the day, and neither have my kids. I guess if you carry extra clothing you probably will use it, but again I just don't see the need.

As I said I don't object. Just fascinated by the long list of things people take for a day on the slopes!
snow report
@zikomo, +2. I used to carry one when the children were young but I think it's more of a faff than using pockets. But then my jacket has 4 pockets and we'd typically go back to a ski in, ski out apartment for lunch.
ski holidays
Belch wrote:
@Hurtle, +1 plus 10/10 for accurate use of the word 'clart'

If you need to downscale on the glasses I fully recommend these - https://www.thinoptics.com/en-gb

The kids may take the p*ss but it enables accurate menu reading at lunch

Or just take a picture with your phone and enlarge it.

Or just annoy the kids by constantly asking them what the menu says.

I prefer the later......
ski holidays
halfhand wrote:
@zikomo, +1. Anything I need goes in my jacket or trouser pockets.

+1. I'll take a sandwich and some chocolate bars, which comfortably fit in pockets. I usually don't even bother taking my phone out. They joy of ski resorts is they've taken away the need to faff about carrying anything. As someone that spends a fair bit of time out in the backcountry (both winter and summer) carrying a bunch of equipment, it's really a nice change to not wear a backpack and the faff of sliding it off each lift.

I can see how some of the little luxuries people want to carry like a flask of hot chocolate would be quite nice - although not worth the bag carrying for me personally.

Some of the things mentioned in this thread just seem kind of unnecessary to me. But I suppose once you've decided you are going to use a bag you might as well fill it.

For example as someone that has owned goggles with numerous lenses in the past I'm now happy to just wear a decent all round lens (prizm rose) regardless of weather. I would never carry a beanie or sunglasses, but I don't stop for lunch so no need. But it's easy as someone that is fairly minimalist, if I was taking kids I'm sure I'd need a backpack.
latest report
I don't have one, but the person behind me is my butler and my dinner jacket is in his pack.

As it's every other skier with one, there could be others in the same boat
snow report
@zikomo,

It's a bit of a slippery slope (as well as the one you are standing on). Once you have a rucsac on the "may as well throw this in" factor comes into play.
Personally, it's rare that I know I won't be skiing off piste so I have a rucsac with safety kit anyway and then I carry similar stuff to other people plus I normally have a tool for adjusting bindings, some duct tape and cable ties for repairing stuff that breaks in awkward locations, some blister plasters, some handwarmers (two of my family have Raynaud's).
When I do know I'll be on piste I'll normally not bother with the rucsac but that is probably 1 in 10 ski days. 
ski holidays
In my pockets I usually have a cap (it is designed to fold up very small), because I am bald so need something other than helmet to protect from sun when sitting outside. Sunglasses for similar reasons. Reading glasses. A gopro occassionaly. And spare goggle lenses. Phone and wallet. Small combined lip salve and suncream. Sometimes also a bottle of water. It all fits perfectly well into my jacket and trouser pockets. I never feel uncomfortable or "bulky" as some have suggested. I don't see the need for anything else on a piste day, and many days I will forget some of the above anyway (especially reading glasses!).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Phone (with thinoptics case/glasses attached), wallet, car keys, ski pass.

A rucksack is just an invitation to carry someone else’s gear…. Laughing The only time I regretted not having a rucksack was when a local Hutte owner asked me, towards the end of a season, if I’d like to take half a bottle of schnapps and a large bag of frozen kaisekrainer home with me. It was an interesting 3km red run back to the car Laughing
snow report
I always take a backpack, have done for years, I hardly notice I’m carrying it. Bottle of water, sunglasses, sun cream, woolly hat, normal gloves, keys wallet and phone. Plus room for putting in my fleece if it gets too hot.
snow conditions
Think some of you inbounds pack doubters are assuming we are carrying SAS yomping packs - my Dakine Poacher is like a handbag with straps that wraps around my back (Ortovox do a similar one) and never has to be removed for lifts as its basically a 'back bump'.

Pre-pack wearing I've carried crushed up water bottles / rapidly melting chocolate / mouldy squished sarnies / damp and unsmokable Marlboro lights all in my jacket and trouser pockets - none of which is ideal. A pack negates this drama
I've also broken goggle lenses and sunglasses / had skis nicked / cut myself on keys / got either majorly sweaty and hot or majorly sweaty and then freezing cold by wearing too many / too few layers. A pack negates this drama

Its either that or you were never in the boy/girl scouts . . . . . .'be prepared!'

@zikomo, I'm with you on annoying the kids - fair point
ski holidays
Quote:
Never needed one. Everything needed fits in various pockets.
The stuff I listed earlier wouldn't fit in pockets - but does fit in my small backpack. As @Dav mentioned, it's barely noticeable when skiing with it on. And absolutely no faffing or delays at chairlifts - it just easily slips off one shoulder as I slide towards the chair.

As plenty have said, a definite case of each to their own. But I bet there's every chance that the self- declared minimalists on here check in a 22kg bag for a week's skiing wink (Versus my hand luggage only - including ski boots - (plus a ski bag) for a two week trip Very Happy )
snow report
@Belch, If your backpack is as small as you suggest, then everything you currently carry could be conveniently stored in your pockets.

In decades if skiing, and teaching, I have never had any of the issues you mention.
My chocolate has not melted, because I don't feel the need to carry any.
My sarnies are not crushed. Because there are very agreeable mountain restaurants where I ski, where fresh food is available. I do wonder why your sarnies would get mouldy from an hour or two in your pockets though!
Never broken any glasses or goggle lenses.
Managed to never cut myself on my keys.
Have not had skis nicked either.

There is no drama to resort piste skiing, except the drama we create in our own minds!

Oh and yes I was a boy scout. Then an outdoor leader. Qualified ski instructor. I am always prepared. But appropriately. If I am touring/going off piste/on an expedition to the north pole I will take quite a lot of gear. Not so much when enjoying a few pistes with the family.
snow conditions
@mountainaddict, 3 x 22kg bags for the 6 of us has always been adequate. Including off-piste gear for one or more of the kids. We all have own boots and skis, and yes we choose to take them with us. Not sure of your point tbh.
ski holidays
Women’s ski wear (like women’s clothes) rarely has pockets that could hold much more than a tampon and a tenner. If i’m out all day I take a backpack but if half day i’ll take phone, bank card in case apple pay/TWINT isnt working, lip balm.
snow report
@Belch,
Quote:

Think some of you inbounds pack doubters are assuming we are carrying SAS yomping packs - my Dakine Poacher is like a handbag with straps that wraps around my back (Ortovox do a similar one) and never has to be removed for lifts as its basically a 'back bump'.

Ditto, mine's a tiny Dakine, don't know what the model is called. I use it instead of a handbag at home, it's very discreet. Thanks for the specs recommendation, but I'm used to my small, flat, foldaway magnifier - which even has a built-in light!
latest report
@zikomo,
Quote:

If your backpack is as small as you suggest, then everything you currently carry could be conveniently stored in your pockets.
Both Belch and I have explained that we don't like lumpy clothing and whatever people carry is entirely a matter of personal preference. For someone who professes not to mind what other people do, you're making quite an issue of your way being the right way.
snow conditions
@zikomo, Although my nano-air midlayer will stuff into itself, the resulting pouch and jacket combo would mean I'm either skiing about looking like I'm wearing a large codpiece or alternatively some kind of breast implant disaster. But its not just about botched operations - its comfort that's the driving factor for me - comfort that I can drink easily and anywhere without stopping, comfort that I can layer up and down easily (I run hot so do this frequently) and comfort that my sh*t is all in one place and accessible when I need it; not clarting up my pockets!

Dakine Poacher 14 - recommended!

ski holidays
For a day's skiing I carry in my pockets the following: wallet, apartment keys, mobile phone, hanky and my glasses. If I'm hot I take my hat off and stuff it in my pocket and open my jacket and trouser vents. If cold I do everthing up. I cannot think what else that I may need.

But this thread does answer one important question for me - what do people put in their backpacks? I've often wondered. Thanks for sharing.

Was it that famous mountaineer and advocate of light weight expeditions Yvon Chouinard who said "if you take bivouac equipment you will bivouac"
latest report
Also my sunglasses, phone and suncream are expensive. If i take a bag I can fit their cases in and their life expectancy goes up immeasurably
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy