Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What’s in these backpacks?

Poster: A snowHead
@Pyramus, hahaha case in point - guilty m'lud
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
zikomo wrote:
I did take exception to @Hurtle, complaining about how disgusting it would be to take your backpack off on a crowded gondola or cable car (or train) so it didn't smack into the faces or otherwise bother fellow travellers. Simple manners to take it off in such circumstances. I was then told by @Hurtle, that she would ram it into me somewhere else, and @Hurtle, subsequently claimed this was a joke. Which was strange. And somewhat unpleasant.

I think you may perhaps have added two and two and come up with about 75, @zikomo. What I took @Hurtle to be saying (& my apologies if this is so obvious as not to need saying) is that she is so diminutive in stature that if her rucksack were somehow to smack anyone it would be rather lower down their body than their face.

As I say, apologies if that was obvious; but if it wasn't, I really don't understand what certainly looks to me like quite an overreaction.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 25-01-24 23:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Legend. wrote:
@Owlette, just to be clear, do you take tea bags out with you into the piste?

Absolutely I do! I'm not spending €5 on a crap cup of tea! I am shameless in asking for hot water, wherever we go, home and abroad. I don't talk milk or sugar in my PG Tips tea so that's all I need. Later in the afternoon I move to green or fruit tea, which also only requires water. Its because I don't take milk or sugar, I'm particular about my tea as there's nothing to hide behind if it's dreadful.

Mr. O and the children always purchase something when we stop (either a latte or a pint for the Mr, and inevitably some form of crepes plus a drink each for the kids) and I'll usually buy a snack, so I don't feel too guilty about bringing my own teabags.

Though, the only time I've had a decent bought cup of tea in France was at a coffee shop in 1800. It was loose leaf and served in a cafetière. That was well worth the €5.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Belch wrote:
Thomasski wrote:
Seeing people acting so miserably on here reminds me of reddit, snowheads should be a place where we can communicate in good faith and not assume everyone is out to get you.

100% this

I only use the forum when I'm in 'I wanna go skiing' mode (ie from Dec to April) after that its redundant and I'm ensconced in all things fishing / fast cars . . .I've noticed this season has been particularly prickly with personal assaults / sensitive over reactions to nothing / complete humour bypass / needy types and everything else in between.

Whilst a poll would help I'm with you on the clunkiness - its very British / Industrial revolution!

Rapid climate change in The Alps, rain, ice and slush. Out of frustration, SH’s are turning on each other in bitter spats Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@zikomo,
Quote:

complaining about how disgusting it would be to take your backpack off on a crowded gondola or cable car (or train)

I did not say that
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@JayRo,
Quote:

What I took @Hurtle to be saying (& my apologies if this is so obvious as not to need saying) is that she is so diminutive in stairs that if her rucksack were somehow to smack anyone it would be rather lower down their body than their face.

Correct. And no need for apologies.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@zikomo, I noticed you complaining on another thread about a question of yours not being answered. I asked you whether you had clicked on my link showing (more or less) what my backpack looks like. Have I missed a reply from you? It's relevant, because it would in fact be unlikely to smack you badly in any part of your body.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Owlette, love it! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Hurtle, well I got your joke even if some others didn’t! Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Owlette,
Now you've got me thinking about tea too. Laughing Such a good idea as I can't stand the Lipton's sh*t. And they'll take up sooooo little space in my backpack!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
and when you've made your tea, pop the used bags in a small poly bag, back in your knapsack, and then when you get back to your room, lie down with a cold bag on each eyelid for half an hour. Bags ON your eyes will ease away those bags UNDER the eyes.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
another essential

latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Origen,
Already packed Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Origen,
I was also thinking that the travel kettle doesn't take up much space so with the power bank, free snow and my sit-mat I'll have my own self service cafe!
If anyone has ever seen any cows roaming the pistes let me know as a drop of milk is welcome in the tea
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
TJToms wrote:
@Owlette,
Now you've got me thinking about tea too. Laughing Such a good idea as I can't stand the Lipton's sh*t. And they'll take up sooooo little space in my backpack!

So you could it them in a pocket then wink
snow conditions
@TJToms, Laughing
latest report
@musher,
Nah.....love my little backpack.
snow report
Origen wrote:
another essential

My other half uses one of those. We were climbing last winter, and as I came out the top of a couloir, there she was, standing up taking a leak like a bloke.

It was weird. But she swears by it, especially because she usually wears bibs, so the whole faff of taking off her pack and stuff is a nightmare.
latest report
@hang11,
Also called a SheWee. Very good after you've practiced a few times. First few attempts are, shall we say, awkward, and require the use of the washing machine afterwards.
Unfortunately it doesn't work well with the skimojo....
latest report
@TJToms, a year or two ago, I got caught in traffic gridlock and was stuck for AGES in a Chelsea street full of shoppers, in broad daylight, absolutely desperate for a wee. I had recently bought a Shewee and it was in my car. My first attempt at using it, which involved trying to get my tight jeans off without said shoppers seeing, was not a success. Had to shampoo the car seat. And the rest. Dear oh dear. I've not used the damn thing since.
snow report
[quote="mountainaddict"]
Quote:

I bet there's every chance that the self- declared minimalists on here check in a 22kg bag for a week's skiing wink (Versus my hand luggage only - including ski boots - (plus a ski bag) for a two week trip Very Happy )

Very Happy Very Happy

Let's be 'avin' you!

I can't wait for the responses to this! I reckon you will be right, MA wink .
latest report
Just to add fuel to the fire, do you backpack wearing folks take your pack of when getting onto a chair?

I generally find I have sufficient pockets to keep what ever I need but on the occasion I have worn a pack it didn’t restrict me but I was warry of not taking it off on the chairs as per the signage.

Another thing I noticed, when I did have a pack on, it was amazing how my fellow skiers suddenly couldn’t fit their stuff into their own pockets.
latest report
Jonny996 wrote:
Just to add fuel to the fire, do you backpack wearing folks take your pack of when getting onto a chair?

I generally find I have sufficient pockets to keep what ever I need but on the occasion I have worn a pack it didn’t restrict me but I was warry of not taking it off on the chairs as per the signage.

Another thing I noticed, when I did have a pack on, it was amazing how my fellow skiers suddenly couldn’t fit their stuff into their own pockets.

No I leave it on, it doesn't take up much space at all, it's probably adding an extra 75mm of depth to me which doesn't get in the way.

The lifties will usually stop you if you have a deep bag, or dangly/hooky bits.
snow conditions
@Thomasski, +1

I leave it on, it’s kind of the point. It’s not annoying anyone, if it did I’d take it off for example in a busy gondola.
snow report
@Jonny996, pack off on chair? Not usually, esp. as it was selected to have a close fitting profile.

While full of barbeque supplies, yes.
snow report
I try to take it off, having been on a lift where someone got a strap caught unloading and was trapped on the lift. If I'm holding it then easier to let go if anything happens.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
@zikomo, I noticed you complaining on another thread about a question of yours not being answered. I asked you whether you had clicked on my link showing (more or less) what my backpack looks like. Have I missed a reply from you? It's relevant, because it would in fact be unlikely to smack you badly in any part of your body.

That’s fair, I forgot to answer. Yes I did. And yes it is very small and unlikely to cause problems.

I’m a bit bored of this mini-drama tbh. I can have no way of knowing how tall you are. And you did indeed suggest you would never put your pack pack down on a train flow because “yuck”, which I think is at least suggestive of you thinking it is disgusting. My reaction has been purely in response to what you posted. I apologize if you feel that I have misinterpreted. And for sure I have overreacted. As have you. So perhaps it is best that we both assume the best of the other going forward and put this behind us? At least until proven otherwise!
ski holidays
@zikomo,
Quote:

And you did indeed suggest you would never put your pack pack down on a train flow because “yuck”, which I think is at least suggestive of you thinking it is disgusting.

Not me. If you want the last word (feel free) best to make it accurate.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TJToms wrote:
@Origen,
I was also thinking that the travel kettle doesn't take up much space so with the power bank, free snow and my sit-mat I'll have my own self service cafe!
If anyone has ever seen any cows roaming the pistes let me know as a drop of milk is welcome in the tea

Laughing Laughing

I do like a cuppa but would not trust the snow after @Hurtle had been around trying to get her shewee to work...
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
@zikomo,
Quote:

And you did indeed suggest you would never put your pack pack down on a train flow because “yuck”, which I think is at least suggestive of you thinking it is disgusting.

Not me. If you want the last word (feel free) best to make it accurate.

Ok have it your way. I will have a look for the quote and post it, assuming it was indeed you!
snow report
@zikomo, @Hurtle, take it outside or get a room Smile
latest report
[quote="Hurtle"]@TJToms, a year or two ago, I got caught in traffic gridlock and was stuck for AGES in a Chelsea street full of shoppers, in broad daylight, absolutely desperate for a wee.

I found that practicing at home a few times enabled me to understand it's pitfalls in how to use it without the mess. Not sure that I'd trust it sitting down in a car seat, but you've got me thinking now. Might give it a go today..... but on the loo Laughing

I did buy another one a couple of years ago, and the plastic is softer which 'conforms' to the anatomy a tad more. Maybe yours is like my first which is pretty hard plastic?

I'm now looking at this post and thinking it's diverted off topic considerably..... but then again, I have carried mine in my pack.

As to anyone reading this, without moving over this post due to the content, I don't take my pack off on the chair lifts - ever. Never had any trouble with the lift people.
My straps are always done up and the pack adds little to my depth. I don't take it off in the gondolas either. I'm short at 5'3" so it won't get anyone else in the face (kids aside of course) but I'm careful to those around me just in case.
snow report
I am now feeling the urge to buy a new backpack for skiing but I just got a nice new laptop backpack for Christmas & I have just ordered a 32L, 45x36x20 backpack to stick it to EasyJet, anymore and Mrs996 might think I have a problem.
ski holidays
@Hurtle, My apologies it seems you are right and I am wrong, it was not you who said they wouldn't take their backpak off on a train.

Origen wrote:
I have sometimes worn a big rucksack on the tube (in London and Paris) when travelling to ski and was very aware of the need to be careful not to turn round and whallop somebody. But yes, it would have been annoying for those near me, inevitably. On a busy train there's no room to put a big pack on the floor (and yuk.....) and also, for someone like me, picking up a heavy pack and putting on means swinging it, also tricky.
snow report
Any chance we can add 'not having to explain ourselves in micro detail and respond to every misconstrued post lest it upset ourselves and /or others' in the rules ?

Its bl**dy exhausting and it hurts my delicate eyes to read it sometimes. . . . maybe a thumbs up / thumbs down icon next to each post to avert the drama? Or simply scroll down . . . Very Happy
ski holidays
Whatever. I was interested to know what folk carry in those bags. To me it's weird, but people find me weird,so that's no bad thing.

In Chamonix people carry old bits of miscellaneous climbing gear on their packs, to show how hard they want to be. Earlier this week I saw one such bloke snap lock himself to the chair lift, so he hit the buffers at the top. Then his skis were on so tight (such a man!) That the lifties couldn't get his skis off. We were all so impressed.

I don't think that's what people here are up to. In the us they have special trees where you can hang your butty bag,in which you maybe also carry your street shoes.

At resorts, I don't want a bag. In the back country I'll just take avalanche gear, maybe an extra layer of in unsure of the weather.
ski holidays
@zikomo, thank you. Have a good day.
snow report
Pair of size 4 ladies' Sketchers for the Princess (boots off every stop), hand warmers (hers), emergency Snickers (she can be a fainter) sweet tooth (me), water or flask o' tea. That's about it. It's a tiny Tog 24 ruck, primarily designed, I think, for a water bladder.
snow report
snacks for kids after ski school.
water bladder
mini phone holder tripod
mid-layer
snood
maybe sunglasses
latest report
hmmm... I have a shewee - I wonder where the hell it is?? haven't seen it for years, but would have been handy in Valloire, saving me accidentally flushing myself when I unbalanced on the squat toilet - and it will easily fit in hubbys backpack!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy