Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What’s in these backpacks?

Poster: A snowHead
Legend. wrote:
Thomasski wrote:
Legend. wrote:
What is the biggest speaker I could fit in a 14 litre backpack?

Saw a colourful group of french kids in tignes, and one of them was wearing a speaker on their back like a backpack. It was about 400h 300w 200d with flashing LEDs behind the grille - absolutely terrible...

Hmmm...you didn't happen to see the brand did you? Might get one just to upset @Gordyjh... Laughing

Unfortunately not, it did look quite a lot like this one but boxier and with different LEDs. The bonus with the one in the link is that it appears to have a karaoke function!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 25-01-24 12:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Snow&skifan,
Quote:

I laughed at “spare gloves”.
You wouldn't be laughing if you or your child were careless enough to drop a glove off a chairlift in the middle of a long day. It would be careless but it does happen.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
zikomo wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
@zikomo,
Quote:

If there is no room for you to put a rucksack on the floor then by default you will be ramming it into the face of others

Mine - if it were a full size one - would probably be ramming you somewhere quite different. I look forward to you testing your generalisation with me. Little Angel

What a strange post. What exactly do you mean? Is this some sort of childish threat?
I must say, you are long on judgment but short on imagination. I'm barely 5'2". And, by the way, it was a joke, not a threat.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hurtle wrote:
zikomo wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
@zikomo,
Quote:

If there is no room for you to put a rucksack on the floor then by default you will be ramming it into the face of others

Mine - if it were a full size one - would probably be ramming you somewhere quite different. I look forward to you testing your generalisation with me. Little Angel

What a strange post. What exactly do you mean? Is this some sort of childish threat?
I must say, you are long on judgment but short on imagination. I'm barely 5'2". And, by the way, it was a joke, not a threat.

Not a very funny one. Are you always this pleasant?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thomasski wrote:
Legend. wrote:
Thomasski wrote:
Legend. wrote:

Saw a colourful group of french kids in tignes, and one of them was wearing a speaker on their back like a backpack. It was about 400h 300w 200d with flashing LEDs behind the grille - absolutely terrible...

Hmmm...you didn't happen to see the brand did you? Might get one just to upset @Gordyjh... Laughing

Unfortunately not, it did look quite a lot like this one but boxier and with different LEDs. The bonus with the one in the link is that it appears to have a karaoke function!

Superb!! Who the heck needs a backpack when you have one of these!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@zikomo, never mind, I'm sure you'll get over it. I'll leave others, including the many snowHeads who know me in person, to judge whether or not I'm 'pleasant'.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Legend. wrote:

Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Markymark29 wrote:
@Thomasski, saw same in St Anton this week, guy in a group of 5-6 mid 50’s guys, one wearing a speaker booming out Sweet Caroline - Dutch team, followed them to see what language they spoke, completely random.

Love the Neil Diamond! I have no problem if it's music I like. But that's rare in France. Sad

Another thing I will put into my day pack are shoes if I am renting skis for the day. I have even taken a laptop with me in the day pack on working vacations. BTW, there is a big difference between a full sized backpack and a day pack. Here's what I have and it works great if this thread is compelling you .... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NR2LGAQ/?tag=amz07b-21
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I have no problem if it's music I like

That's an odd attitude. I can't think of any circumstances where it's OK to blast your choice of music at random strangers.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Origen wrote:
Quote:

That's an odd attitude. I can't think of any circumstances where it's OK to blast your choice of music at random strangers.

Even if I heard my favourite tune (absolutely not Mr Diamond for the record) emanating from someone's speaker, I would shoot them the evil eye - how dare they. Get some bone conducting phones or get off the mountain.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Origen wrote:
Quote:

I had my phone in my top pocket playing "chilled classics" in a vain attempt to cut out the noise of snowboarders and skiers skiing close behind me which makes me panic. Not loud enough for anyone skiing to hear - but audible on the chairlift, however most of the time that was just me and hubby. Don't like the music? don't get on "my" chair.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Origen wrote:
Quote:

Sarcasm seems a lost art. I though this board was mostly Brits?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Never need to take it off on lifts. What’s the issue?

Comfort. But also some places force you to remove it for safety. There have been a few cases (mostly kids) of straps getting caught. In one tragic case the child was strangled.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimummk wrote:
Origen wrote:
Quote:

I had my phone in my top pocket playing "chilled classics" in a vain attempt to cut out the noise of snowboarders and skiers skiing close behind me which makes me panic. Not loud enough for anyone skiing to hear - but audible on the chairlift, however most of the time that was just me and hubby. Don't like the music? don't get on "my" chair.

Some people get their knickers in a twist about it.

Saying that, there is nothing that absolutely nobody will get their knickers in a twist about. Take other people using rucksacks for example...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@zikomo, when you use such aggressive language (ramming backpacks in people's faces) in a largely humorous and good-natured thread, what sort of reaction do you expect? Making a joke of it seems a sensible response.
ski holidays
Actually, I often get rucksacks rammed into my face on tubes and cable cars and it isn't pleasant. But that, of course, is because I'm unusually short. Maybe that's why my attempt at humour misfired? Oops.
snow conditions
@Origen, @Hurtle, Well I think it is an accurate description of what happens when someone is wearing a backpack on crowded transport. I don't think it is aggressive at all, merely descriptive. What is aggressive, rather than a joke, is suggesting you would ram it elsewhere.

That said yes it is mostly good natured between the backpack lovers and the backpack haters. So I will leave it at that.
ski holidays
Would also note on queries regarding what people carry, my pack is, most of the time, 3/4 empty.

Because often I am just carrying shovel, probe, spare fleece, first aid kit, emergency blanket (everything else in jacket pockets e.g. small water bottle)

But I need the big pack because I could on the same trip have a day with the above +:

Skins, lunch, snacks, down jacket, spare gloves, spare goggles, sun glasses, prescription glasses, thermos/big(ger) water bottle. (probably missing stuff) because I am going off the beaten track so can't just stop at a mountain hut for coffee/lunch, or head back to the hotel because my contacts have come out...

I can't justify taking a small pack in addition to a big one when flying...
latest report
@qwerty360,
I take the big pack as hand baggage and put the day pack in my suitcase.
snow conditions
musher wrote:
@qwerty360,
I take the big pack as hand baggage and put the day pack in my suitcase.
If and when I'm taking my 'proper' rucksack somewhere, that usually means it's my hand luggage on a plane, and I do the same - the day pack goes empty into checked in bag,
ski holidays
zikomo wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
@zikomo,
Quote:

If Hurtle's bag was ramming you in the face then I think you'd only have yourself to blame for crouching down on a gondola Laughing
snow report
@SnoodyMcFlude, I think he got the joke in the end, even if he didn't think it was funny.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
@SnoodyMcFlude, I think he got the joke in the end, even if he didn't think it was funny.

It wasn't. I don't know you so how on earth would I interpret that as funny. You seem to struggle to get over it though. Maybe just move on?
snow report
Any chance the mods could add a poll app to these threads (apols if there is one and its been done already) - would perhaps make life a lot easier for the OP and resolve all the daft b*tching! (although I agree it does make it more amusing on occasion)

My take is this and I think its male bravado on the whole NOT to wear a pack (see my Carp Fishing analogy - its the same sh*t)

Those that carry packs 'on piste' are either boy/girl-scouts who like comfort or dads/wives with kids and or needy wives/husbands. Being fair - do think there is a limit on reasonable inbounds pack wearage sizing (it should be in the rules - rule 4/22) ie. anything over 12-14L is technically OTT and should be for hardcore avalanche riding mofos only. Its also too big a pack if you need to take it off before you get on a lift etc . . .

Those who don't carry packs 'on piste' are either locals / total beginners / are clearly happy with either freezing or sweating (although more likely to be intermediates who ski with their insulated jackets open; because you obvs cannot do this with a pack), or incredibly affluent 90's Spyder wearing individuals that don't need to hydrate because the Dom Perignon is waiting for them when they finish the day at 13.29 for an early luncheon in L’Atelier d’Edmond. . .

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 25-01-24 16:49; edited 2 times in total
snow report
The big pack is also very handy for shopping, which in some resorts that I frequent is done on the way back from the piste.
latest report
@musher, Now that is hard-core!
snow conditions
Belch wrote:
Any chance the mods could add a poll app to these threads (apols if there is one and its been done already) - would perhaps make life a lot easier for the OP and resolve all the daft b*tching! (although I agree it does make it more amusing on occasion)

My take is this and I think its male bravado on the whole NOT to wear a pack (see my Carp Fishing analogy - its the same sh*t)

Those that carry packs 'on piste' are either boy/girl-scouts who like comfort or dads/wives with kids and or needy wives/husbands. Being fair - do think there is a limit on reasonable inbounds pack wearage sizing (it should be in the rules - rule 4/22) ie. anything over 12-14L is technically OTT and should be for hardcore avalanche riding mofos only. Its also too big a pack if you need to take it off before you get on a lift etc . . .

Those who don't carry packs 'on piste' are either locals / total beginners / are clearly happy with either freezing or sweating (although more likely to be intermediates who ski with their insulated jackets open; because you obvs cannot do this with a pack), or incredibly affluent 90's Spyder wearing individuals that don't need to hydrate because the Dom Perignon is waiting for them when they finish the day at 13.29 for an early luncheon in L’Atelier d’Edmond. . .

Laughing Laughing Laughing love this
ski holidays
zikomo wrote:
Hurtle wrote:

It wasn't. I don't know you so how on earth would I interpret that as funny. You seem to struggle to get over it though. Maybe just move on?
Are you always this boorish? That is a rhetorical question, by the way, not a joke.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@musher, yeah that's one option. I tend to ski with a large Carrefour bag inside the dad bag of poo-poo. Wine/beer goes in the rucksack, groceries in the shopping bag.

Dbos is the same 27l i use for hut touring.

Sometimes I worry I have turned into my father. Sometimes I worry that I'm fine with that.
ski holidays
@gorilla, ha, I knew there was a good reason to leave my London shopping bags in my backpack. Good call.
snow report
@zikomo, Glad to see someone else has some good sense.
snow report
Belch wrote:
Being fair - do think there is a limit on reasonable inbounds pack wearage sizing (it should be in the rules - rule 4/22) ie. anything over 12-14L is technically OTT and should be for hardcore avalanche riding mofos only.
Laughing Laughing

This is a good idea, though I think the size should be 200ml-500ml, ie the size of a small water bottle so you can pop it in your pocket...

gorilla wrote:
Sometimes I worry I have turned into my father. Sometimes I worry that I'm fine with that.
Laughing Laughing Laughing

You definitely have and whilst I have not met your father, I'm sure there is nothing wrong with that!
ski holidays
@Old Man Of Lech, @zikomo, you really should try using a back pack. You can keep your sense of humour and prickly attitude in there!
snow conditions
jirac18 wrote:
@Old Man Of Lech, @zikomo, you really should try using a back pack. You can keep your sense of humour and prickly attitude in there!

I think they prefer pockets, quicker to access an overreaction.

Seeing people acting so miserably on here reminds me of reddit, snowheads should be a place where we can communicate in good faith and not assume everyone is out to get you.
snow conditions
Belch wrote:

You forget the forum tech in use here appears to be over 25 years old and rendered using HTML4. Fun as this forum is, I cringe at the ridiculous image scaling issues, illegible banner messages and crazy old school tech. Can't anyone update it?
snow report
Pyramus wrote:
Belch wrote:

You forget the forum tech in use here appears to be over 25 years old and rendered using HTML4. Fun as this forum is, I cringe at the ridiculous image scaling issues, illegible banner messages and crazy old school tech. Can't anyone update it?

That's what gives it character, it's alive! As annoying as the forum titles are on android (jumping around when you try to click on them), I'd miss it if it was fixed! I think of it like a piece of old steam machinery, you can see the human touch - someone built this, it didn't fall out of a factory.
latest report
Never said I had any issue with people wearing backpacks. Quite the opposite actually, I said each to their own. I did express some incredulity at the amount of stuff people take for a piste day, but only because I have never seen the need to. And maybe some gentle teasing on this point!

I did take exception to @Hurtle, complaining about how disgusting it would be to take your backpack off on a crowded gondola or cable car (or train) so it didn't smack into the faces or otherwise bother fellow travellers. Simple manners to take it off in such circumstances. I was then told by @Hurtle, that she would ram it into me somewhere else, and @Hurtle, subsequently claimed this was a joke. Which was strange. And somewhat unpleasant.

No overreaction here. Backpack away to your hearts content, it is purely a personal choice. My only small request is to remove it in crowded spaces.
snow report
Thomasski wrote:
Seeing people acting so miserably on here reminds me of reddit, snowheads should be a place where we can communicate in good faith and not assume everyone is out to get you.

100% this

I only use the forum when I'm in 'I wanna go skiing' mode (ie from Dec to April) after that its redundant and I'm ensconced in all things fishing / fast cars . . .I've noticed this season has been particularly prickly with personal assaults / sensitive over reactions to nothing / complete humour bypass / needy types and everything else in between.

Whilst a poll would help I'm with you on the clunkiness - its very British / Industrial revolution!
snow conditions
We carry a folding shopping bag too - along with the sit-mat that seems to have amused some people.
I tell you - my alcohol infused hot chocolate that's actually hot and not sweetened to the hilt beats any French sh*t that's costs a fortune!
Given you can't usually consume your own stuff at a piste-side restaurant or use their deckchairs, I need to the sit-mat to stop my backside freezing solid.
ski holidays
Belch wrote:
Thomasski wrote:

100% this

Yeah I mean seriously, what's wrong with a bit of pole clickety click? Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy