Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

easyJet - equipment carriage

Poster: A snowHead
@pam w, Seriously! Pack both skis. Stop worrying about it. It will be fine!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's what I will do. Just about to take them in to Snow and Rock (yes, I know....) for service.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NickyJ wrote:
we are forced to pay for seats as due to child with autism can't be split up!

I really loath airlines that use the threat of not being able to sit with your child to push you to pay for seats.

But do they do this in practice if you didn’t pay? Isn’t there an age where they cannot split you up?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thing is, if you had a child likely to get anxious, you really wouldn't want to have that discussion.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My children are now 13 and 16 so absolutely likely to be. One has been suffering badly with depression and anxiety, suspested autism but getting diagnosis is long or expensive route.

13yr old is diagnosed ASD and would meltdown / panicked if seperated.

12 and under you stand a decent chance of not being separated.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
Thing is, if you had a child likely to get anxious, you really wouldn't want to have that discussion.

In the rare case that's happened when my kids weren't old enough to sit apart, a sensible conversation with the occupant either next to you or the child, particularly if you are offering someone a window or aisle vs a middle seat, reaps dividends. You have to be a special sort of idiot if some says "can we swap seats otherwise my child who is sat next to you will howl on takeoff" and refuse.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is nothing really evil about airlines giving you the option to pay for seat selection. And they are in general pretty good at sitting families together regardless if whether you pay for seat selection or not. But if it really matters to you for whatever reason you just have to suck it up, that is the product on offer after all.

Frankly low cost carriers really work for those traveling on their own with no hold baggage. It’s harder to get a cheap deal the more of you there are and the more stuff you need to take.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sorry, but if someone pays for a seat, they should not be expected to move so a family can sit together.
Everyone knows the score when you book budget. Same as people tuttering in the airport when they get pulled for having an oversized carry on.
Play by their rules. At least with young kids you get priority boarding for free!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I actually have some sympathy with the view that you knew the rules when you bought the ticket, so should stick to them and not try and game it. I am happy to move seat if it is like for like. But I have refused sometimes where it is clear it is convenience thing for the asker and I would be inconvenienced. And despite the attempts to make me feel guilty I did not feel bad about it at all. I have also proactively offered up my seat and taken a worse one when I judge that to be the kind thing to do. It depends on the circumstance. But in general it annoys me when people complain about not being allowed to get more than they paid for.

As an aside we ended up separated on our flight to honeymoon. For all sorts of reasons we could not check in until at the airport, it was a full flight, so that is what was left in terms of seats. I did not ask anyone to swap, as I didn’t see it as anyone else’s issue.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am not after any sympathy, it is important to us for reasons explained. The chargest for some seats are quite cheap, and thar trip of booking hubby on exit row and us behind worked very nicely for getting him extra leg room (at 6'1" appreciated) and one pair of ski boot in the cabin, with comparatively low extra costs.

I always work out the cost of the flights inc seats and luggage when comparing to other airlines which give me more inside ticket price. E.g. hold luggage, skis for free, etc. To make sure whole price is being compared
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@NickyJ, I was certainly not suggesting you were looking for sympathy, so hope you did not take it that way!

You and I have chatted about this before, especially how to maximize the benefits while minimizing the costs. Like always taking the upfront/extra legroom option when flying form Geneva on a Saturday as it gets you the much quicker and easier EasyJet plus check-in for your luggage. Sounds like yet again you have come up with a cunning plan!

That said the upfront seats to/from Milan this year were VERY expensive!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@zikomo, yep appreciate all the suggestions Very Happy

I don't quite understand there pricing on some seats on some routes. So December trip, the Geneva seats were upfront seats for all of us so use the priority bag drop at Geneva and werent that expensive. They were (from memory) half or less than equivalent seats on outbound leg from Bournemouth which doesnt even have a priority bag drop!!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@NickyJ, yes something I only really noticed this year. No idea how they set it, does not seem to make much sense to me. I don’t generally stunt for a ski holiday but the extra is getting out of hand tbh, especially from Edinburgh where it is self-bag drop and pretty much always only a 5-0 min queue.

For others looking for a bargain, look at the multi-story parking (book in advance) at Edinburgh airport. It includes up to 5 people for security fast track. And the difference for a week between that and even long stay is not that much, for parking right next to the terminal and no stress at security.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
zikomo wrote:
I actually have some sympathy with the view that you knew the rules when you bought the ticket, so should stick to them and not try and game it. I am happy to move seat if it is like for like. But I have refused sometimes where it is clear it is convenience thing for the asker and I would be inconvenienced. And despite the attempts to make me feel guilty I did not feel bad about it at all. I have also proactively offered up my seat and taken a worse one when I judge that to be the kind thing to do. It depends on the circumstance. But in general it annoys me when people complain about not being allowed to get more than they paid for.

As an aside we ended up separated on our flight to honeymoon. For all sorts of reasons we could not check in until at the airport, it was a full flight, so that is what was left in terms of seats. I did not ask anyone to swap, as I didn’t see it as anyone else’s issue.

On a two hour flight I couldn't give two hoots where I sit. Its not just a budget airline issue, I was flying business for work (window seat) and was chatting to the chap next to me as we took off and he told me he was off somewhere exotic on a ?40th wedding anniversary trip. turned out his wife was sat over in the middle section a couple of rows away as the airline apparently couldn't seat them together. I insisted we swapped!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@t44tomo, yup you have to pay to pick your seat in business class with BA, even long haul (and it ain’t cheap to do so). Unless you have status. Nuts really but there it is.

Good for you if you don’t care where you sit on a two hour flight. Some do care. Like me, especially on business I want a window seat so I am not disturbed. And sometimes it’s worth booking a particular seat for other reasons. Like taking 5 minutes to check-in on a busy Saturday at Geneva when the normal queue is an hour or more.

Must not have been BA is short haul business as they block out the middle seat. Nice of you to swap though, as you say you don’t care where you sit.
snow report
Quote:
And sometimes it’s worth booking a particular seat for other reasons. Like taking 5 minutes to check-in on a busy Saturday at Geneva when the normal queue is an hour or more.
Why would anyone queue at an airport desk in these days of online check in Puzzled
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
And sometimes it’s worth booking a particular seat for other reasons. Like taking 5 minutes to check-in on a busy Saturday at Geneva when the normal queue is an hour or more.
Why would anyone queue at an airport desk in these days of online check in Puzzled

Bag drop!
snow conditions
bigtuboflard wrote:
I managed to get a pair of skis, poles, boots, snowboard boots, helmet, gloves and a few bits of clothing in a Burton wheelie case in at 19kgs a few weeks ago. I’d paid for large carry on (10kgs from memory) so was pretty sure I’d be ok. But as OP says, always worth weighing bags before setting off for the airport.

I’ve managed skis, boots, poles, helmet and most of my clothes into a Burton wheelie bag at around 17kg. Helps that I’m only 5’1 tall Very Happy
latest report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:

And when we came back in december we had to queue for over 30mins to get to the point where you join the formal queues! Thankfully diverting into the priority queue so only another 20mins. God knows how long the other queue took to bag drop. They had something crazy like 8 flights going out in a 20min window.
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:

It's checking in the baggage. Takes 5 - 10 mins if you can use EasyJet Plus check-in at Geneva vs. stress in an hour ling queue. Upfront and extra leg rooms get you that benefit which is definitely worth it especially when travelling with kids. And if you are travelling without luggage, those seats also let you take a larger cabin bag and guarantee it will go on board with you so again often worth it even if you are not checking in any hold luggage.
snow report
Hi All,
One question - I just checked in for our easyjet flight to Innsbruck from Gatwick on Sunday using the app. On our booking we have 2 hold bags and 1 ski bag but when I view the boarding passes in the app it only says 2 hold bags for the booking with no mention of the ski bag. When I click on my trips and view itinerary, the ski bag is listed, so I'm assuming it'll be fine but just wondering if anyone else came across a similar thing?
Thanks
snow report
@pam w,

We've flown on hundreds of Easyjet flights over the past 20 odd years (plus - FWIW - Jet2, Ryanair, KLM, BA, Lufthansa, Air Canada, Iberia, United, Delta and others...) - each time carrying 2 pairs of skis in one bag. You will have no problem. Very Happy
latest report
Hi @marcs44, had exactly this on a flight to Geneva last month. It wasn’t a problem, checked luggage in fine at both Manchester and Geneva for the return flight.
latest report
@pam w
We are flying this weekend EJ MAN to INN and I have my Dakine Double 190cm ski bag already packed - 2 sets of skis and poles and padded out with bubble wrap / coats / few clothes.

I cant find any specific mention on the EJ website about only one pair of skis ? It just mentions "skis and boots" and 20 kilos...?

https://www.easyjet.com/en/help/baggage/sports-equipment

Is there a more detailed description elsewhere ?

Either way - I am not repacking it now !
snow conditions
@sheffskibod, No there is nit any more detail. And EasyJet will just tell you it is one set of skis and boots of you ask them.

Read the rest of this thread and you will see it is not a problem. So long as you are under your overall weight limit.
snow report
@bigtuboflard that's great thanks a lot
snow conditions
zikomo wrote:
@t44tomo, yup you have to pay to pick your seat in business class with BA, even long haul (and it ain’t cheap to do so). Unless you have status. Nuts really but there it is.

Good for you if you don’t care where you sit on a two hour flight. Some do care. Like me, especially on business I want a window seat so I am not disturbed. And sometimes it’s worth booking a particular seat for other reasons. Like taking 5 minutes to check-in on a busy Saturday at Geneva when the normal queue is an hour or more.

Must not have been BA is short haul business as they block out the middle seat. Nice of you to swap though, as you say you don’t care where you sit.

It was either Thai or Malaysia longhaul on an A380. 2-4-2 arrangement IIRC.
latest report
We came back via Geneva last Monday, ski bag had a set of 186 ski's a snowboard, boots for each & some clothes in there. All in it came in at 26Kg, the woman at check in told us to be more careful next time, then let it go..........

Really depends on the mood of the check in person you get, a smile & friendly hello goes a long way....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marcs44 wrote:
Hi All,
One question - I just checked in for our easyjet flight to Innsbruck from Gatwick on Sunday using the app. On our booking we have 2 hold bags and 1 ski bag but when I view the boarding passes in the app it only says 2 hold bags for the booking with no mention of the ski bag. When I click on my trips and view itinerary, the ski bag is listed, so I'm assuming it'll be fine but just wondering if anyone else came across a similar thing?
Thanks

I had a similar problem when I added a 99p snowboard bag during COVID to an existing booking.

Check-in agent at Birmingham could see it, but said she couldn't "add it" so charged me again and I had to claim back when home.

No such problems in Geneva though where agent was able to see and allocate it without problem.

I had exactly the same thing as you on my return flight from Geneva last week though when a snowboard bag booked at the same time as the flight didn't show on the boarding pass, but did on the booking confirmation and the reminder sent a couple of days before the flight.

No such problems that time, so you should hopefully be fine too. Enjoy your trip!
latest report
A question I’ve always wondered about, but never bothered to ask: EJ charge you for “Skis and boots” Does that mean a ski bag & a boot bag?
I usually just stick my boots in my case & pack around them, but have a sneaky short trip coming up & it occurs to me that I could probably get away with a ski bag a boot bag & and a “small item” or whatever they call it in the cabin.

On a separate note, I noticed somebody mentioned packing their helmet in a board bag with the rest of their gear. Not something I would ever do, it always comes onboard with me. Never in the hold. Thoughts?

Thanks all,
CW snowHead
snow report
marcs44 wrote:
Hi All,
Thanks

Yeah this is just how their system seemed to work and the self service bag drop terminals seemed to recognise I had a ski bag on my booking last week.
latest report
I would be interested if anyone has done this,. A large hold bag is 23kg size (length + width + height) must be under 275cm.. My ski bag comes in at 260cm. So if booked in as large hold u would gain 3kg for £1 Cheers
ski holidays
cardweg wrote:
A question I’ve always wondered about, but never bothered to ask: EJ charge you for “Skis and boots” Does that mean a ski bag & a boot bag?
I usually just stick my boots in my case & pack around them, but have a sneaky short trip coming up & it occurs to me that I could probably get away with a ski bag a boot bag & and a “small item” or whatever they call it in the cabin.

On a separate note, I noticed somebody mentioned packing their helmet in a board bag with the rest of their gear. Not something I would ever do, it always comes onboard with me. Never in the hold. Thoughts?

Thanks all,
CW snowHead

It does indeed mean a ski bag & a boot bag of you so wish, but the allowance across the two is still only 20kg combined. Still doable for a short trip with helmet clicked to your small carry-on / stuck on your head if you're the unlucky first person ever to get challenged doing this!

Theoretically, it doesn't apply to a snowboard bag & a boot bag although ground staff at Geneva have indeed booked both through together for me before on a single "snowboard" luggage allowance, even though the combined weight came to well over 20kg. Go figure!
latest report
@pam w,

Your boots should be fine as carry on. I flew back from Munich in November, though with Lufthansa, who allow you a smaller bag in addition to your cabin case. I had bought ski boots on a whim whilst there. I couldn't get them into my carry on case as it was too full, so took my chances and just had them in a bag. Nobody said a word to me as I went through security, or boarded. Are you checking the rest of your baggage? Could you pop your boots in a small wheeled case and take that as your hand luggage?

Or if taking carry-on, can you put your boots in your case? That's what I did in December to fly to Austria (Air Austria). I have a hard shell case, so boots went in one side and were stuffed with underwear and socks, and I rolled my thermals and other small items and packed them in around them. Everything else went in the other side. Like Raven though, I'm small at 5'0 so my stuff is small too which helps.
snow report
cardweg wrote:

Thanks all,
CW snowHead

Definitely not! Helmet stays with me. Husband and 2 children have soft shell carry on cases, so helmets went in there, but as mine is hard shell, it was in its drawstring bag over my shoulder. That said, Smallest and I were picked at random to check our bags at the gate at LHR, so Smalls ended up in the hold anyway, but was well padded with clothes on all sides. The other two got to keep theirs. Mr. O was more amenable about getting to the gate early on the way back to avoid the same thing happening as he hates waiting at the carousel. Normally he hates being at the gate and will prefer to board last. Result was priority boarding (children) and we all kept our bags.
snow report
Example this week with easyJet. One double sportube was 22kg, other was 19kg. 3 other bags also. Total weight came in at 104kg, less than our pooled allowance of 109kg. No problem or even questions. Just keep it under the total weight you have paid for and you will be fine
snow conditions
Had an issue in Geneva few weeks back. Ski bag was 26kg and hold bag 13kg.

Was fine going out but the lady at Geneva check was having none of it. I had to remove two bags from ski bag and crammed into carry on. Wish I had the EasyJet page to hand to argue the case.
latest report
Has anyone done the twilight bagdrop from Gatwick with their ski bag? I phoned up and they said they couldn't give me an answer, I'd have to go there the night before and try my luck which is not the answer I was looking for.
snow conditions
Grantley1988 wrote:
Had an issue in Geneva few weeks back. Ski bag was 26kg and hold bag 13kg.

Was fine going out but the lady at Geneva check was having none of it. I had to remove two bags from ski bag and crammed into carry on. Wish I had the EasyJet page to hand to argue the case.

Really? What hold luggage had you booked? Your total from above is 39kg, so interested in what the total weight that you booked was. Is it possible that you had booked a SMALL hold bag (15kg) and ski carriage (20kg) so your total allowance was 35kg (4kg less than had)? And you got away with this on the way out but were pulled on it on the way back?
ski holidays
@zikomo, Is that perhaps because absolute weight per bag is limited (baggage handlers)?
TUI limits max weight per bag (general hold or ski/board) to 23kg (though you can take 2 or more bags totalling up to whatever your total personal or group allowance is, if more), used to be 25kg. Don't know what EJ or others allow.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy