Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

easyJet - equipment carriage

Poster: A snowHead
I’m not going to have a dig at the airline or ground ops staff here - the travel sector faces enough challenges as it is … but just a word of warning …

We flew to GVA from MAN and back a couple of weekends ago. We booked 1 x pair of skis and 1 x snowboard on both legs. Cost was £74 for each bag. What I didn’t realise is that you can now book a small bag (max 20KGs) and a large one (max 32KGs). We went for the “small bag” option.

No issues at MAN as you weigh your bags / attach barcode label yourself (I give it 5 years before we have to make our own sandwiches and coffee and load our bags on the hold).

Different story at GVA though.

The ski bag weighed 22.8 KGs (the board bag was just shy of 20 KGs).

The ground ops lady (very polite and courteous) wasn’t going to be turned. We had to pay the full “large bag” fee of 75CHF despite the fact that we had already forked out £74 for the said bag. An expensive oversight …

So I’d suggest you definitely weigh your bags and make sure you pay for the right weight.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pretty sure you can pool the weight of any additional baggage you’ve paid to take with you. Might not have made much difference in your case but definitely something worth reminding the check in staff when travelling as a couple too.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
franga wrote:
We booked 1 x pair of skis

The ski bag weighed 22.8 KG

How many pairs were really in it? wink

We only get to that weight with about 3 pairs in there.

Sometimes to get under the weight I take the bindings off.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@franga, easyjet policy says you can pool the weight (or was your pooled weight over total?). Presume you must had other stuff in with the skis? As I put 2 paid of skis and poles in my ski bag which is circa 15kg, then also check boots in, in a seperate bag, which comes under the skis booking which is nicely JUST under my 20kg allowance
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I managed to get a pair of skis, poles, boots, snowboard boots, helmet, gloves and a few bits of clothing in a Burton wheelie case in at 19kgs a few weeks ago. I’d paid for large carry on (10kgs from memory) so was pretty sure I’d be ok. But as OP says, always worth weighing bags before setting off for the airport.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@franga, Thanks for this. Always good for people to know which airlines/airports are strict on luggage. I suspect the check-in agent was correctly applying the EasyJet policy. You can indeed pool the weight of your luggage, so long as the total is less than you have booked there is no problem if one bag is over-weight. Ski/snowboard carriage gets you 20kg, so you had a total of 40kg allowance. One bag was “just shy” of 20kg and your other bag was 22.8kg, suggested in total you were over 40kg. In general low cost carriers (and increasingly others too) are pretty strict on luggage as it is part of their overall proposition to charge for the constituent parts of travel separately. Of course this is positioned as being to the passengers advantage as it keeps fares down by only charging for hold luggage when you actually use it.

The lesson is you bought 40kg in total, sounds like you were over that limit so we’re quite rightly charged. That is what you signed up for.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Couldn't you have just taken out 2kg of stuff from the ski bag and carried 1kg extra per person in your hand luggage (or about your person)?

Must say, I have never noticed any option for different weight bags when paying for easy jet ski carriage... Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just had a look at the EJ website. Well I never! Hadn't seen that before!

There's no provision for large ski bags - only hang gliders, bikes etc. What box would you tick?

'I'm sorry sir, as you've paid for a kayak and brought skis, I'm afraid we'll need to charge you again.' wink

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i went down the 32kg "windsurfer" route with my ski bag, when i last flew EJ to the alps in dec 21, as i knew my skibag would possibly be over as it had all my clobber in as well, i didn't want to take the chance at gatwick.

i think it was only about £7 or £8 difference at the time, but i could not find out how much the penalty per excess kg was!!

no one batted an eyelid that it was a ski bag and not a windsurfer/cycle.

i flew back with BA, and there weight allowance was more generous.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I doubt they check/care about whats in the bag, just the dimensions
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What you are actually paying for with EasyJet is the weight and size of the bag. Strictly speaking they could check what is in the bag and argue if it is a different item from what you selected when booking. In reality it does not really matter as the only reason you have to select an option is so they know the size and weight likely to be handled by them (large items need more manual handling so their agents will charge more for them), and as the basis for any claim if damage/loss occurs. One proviso is definitely sporting firearms, they will definitely check what is in the case and there are very strict guidelines that have to be followed. For obvious reasons!

But you should make sure that your pooled weight is less than what you have paid for or you run the very real risk that you will be charged for extra at the airport. It is inherent in the business model, clear in the terms and conditions and their website makes it very clear when you book. Frankly I think it is fair enough for EasyJet to have imposed the clear consequence in this case of the OP being over the weight they had booked and paid for.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
I doubt they check/care about whats in the bag, just the dimensions
The 'getting charged extra for skis 'cos you've paid for a kayak' scenario was (another) misguided attempt at humour on my part rolling eyes
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I got caught with Easyjet at Grenoble a couple of weeks ago, self check in on way out so no issues but bag was 25kg on return. Check in guy said no probs to go away and rearrange but i'd waited in a big queue and couldn't face doing it so sucked up the 15€ a kilo for the extra weight. Didnt wear half the crap I took so lesson learned.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ster wrote:
franga wrote:
We booked 1 x pair of skis

The ski bag weighed 22.8 KG

How many pairs were really in it? wink

We only get to that weight with about 3 pairs in there.

Sometimes to get under the weight I take the bindings off.

Only 2 ... but we have been doing this for the last 4-5 years without being "caught". But we've learnt our lesson and this will not happen again. I get the whole business / operating model argument - we collectively fly on 8-10 easyJet flights a year and we will continue to do so. We made our bed and had to sleep in it. I don't blame them for this at all ...

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 29-01-23 22:41; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
NickyJ wrote:
@franga, easyjet policy says you can pool the weight (or was your pooled weight over total?). Presume you must had other stuff in with the skis? As I put 2 paid of skis and poles in my ski bag which is circa 15kg, then also check boots in, in a seperate bag, which comes under the skis booking which is nicely JUST under my 20kg allowance

We had 2 pairs of skis plus socks, thermals etc ... our boot bag wasn't weighed. I think my gripe (and we are partly to blame) is the fact that we've paid twice for the same bag - there was no willingness to ask us to only pay the difference etc. Lesson learnt and same mistake will not be repeated. In fact, I'm flying to GVA on Wednesday and will only book my board bag on once it's packed and weighed.
ski holidays
@franga, i have something like this

https://amzn.eu/d/e2YPn1Y

Which I take with me to check I havent gone over on individual bags as well for return. It is small and light.

Nb if you are using hold bags as well sport items. I have noticed the hold bags prices can increase over time. The ski bags ade a fixes price
latest report
NickyJ wrote:

Which I take with me to check I havent gone over on individual bags as well for return. It is small and light.

Nb if you are using hold bags as well sport items. I have noticed the hold bags prices can increase over time. The ski bags ade a fixes price

I use something like this too, it's an absolutely essential item when travelling with EasyJet. If you've got one of these little devices you can redistribute your weight the night before the flight rather than in a mad rush at the check-in desk. You can even shove a few kg of small, dense items into your jacket pockets to make weight. Really valuable purchase, that one.
snow conditions
NickyJ wrote:

That looks great - thank you.
ski holidays
I stand on the bathroom scales with and without luggage and do some maths. Obviously doesnt help for the way-back, but as long as you pck the same items and dont buy anyone a gift you're OK
ski holidays
So does the pooling bag weight not apply to sports equipment? I always assumed that it did. Hoping to take 2 boards and skis in a big snowboard bag!
snow report
I don't think pooling came into it. franga booked on 2 luggage items, 1 x pair of skis and 1 x snowboard, both with a weight limit of 20kg. "The ski bag weighed 22.8 KGs (the board bag was just shy of 20 KGs)." Sounds like it was overweight regardless of split.

easyJet's website says:

"You can pool the total weight allowances for your sports equipment and hold luggage, as long as no single item weighs more than 32kg.

(For example: If you have a total weight allowance of 52kg you could bring hold luggage weighing 31kg and sports equipment weighing 21kg)."

https://www.easyjet.com/en/help/baggage/sports-equipment
ski holidays
@scottishandy, As @DidierCouch, yes you can pool including your sports equipment. We do this every time with no problems. Watch out for the max 32kg per item limit though! And note you can take a boot bag alongside your ski bag, but it is included in the total weight.
snow conditions
Cool cheers all, got 2 x 23kg normal bags too so shouldn't be an issue.
ski holidays
Quote:
Cool cheers all, got 2 x 23kg normal bags too so shouldn't be an issue
Shocked You doing a season
@scottishandy?? Laughing
snow conditions
Nah just needing some weights training before I board and ski. Laughing
snow conditions
I am feeling cross having spent AGES and quite a lot of money, as the call is not free, asking easyJet customer services whether I can put two pairs of skis in one bag. Stupid man just started reading me what it says on the website..... then when I told him I'd read all that, he went and asked a grownup - then told me that if I wanted to take two pairs of skis I would have to pay for two separate ski bags. That seems to contradict the weight limit of 20 kgs - our skis would be well below that weight.

It also seems to contradict experience on here but this sort of thing changes all the time and the answer determines whether I have two pairs of skis (for self and daughter) serviced now, at considerable cost, and take them with us, or hire.

We'd prefer to have our own skis, but not if it's going to cost a fortune.

This is the first time I've flown to go skiing for 20 years. I wish I was driving. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
@pam w, Pay for one bag and put both pairs in it. I fly with Easyjet several times a year on ski trips and normally have 3 or 4 pairs in my ski bag (they're quiver killer'd), plus other stuff. It typically weighs at or over the 20kg limit (23kg last time, but offset by a hold bag that was a lot less than the limit). I've never had anyone even question what's in it, let alone ask to check inside it.
snow conditions
@pam w, you’re not supposed to but they never seem to check the contents as long as its within the dimensions of your allowed bag depending on which you have bought.

But EJ did if you bought a ski bag allow you to pack boots in a separate bag ( not sure of current situation).

Just do it. The risk is they lose it and only compensate you for one pair.

And thats all “customer support” do these days, read the website you can read for yourself.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, I've just flown MAN to TRN with EasyJet. 2 pairs of skis in one double roller bag (16 kg) - £37 per pair each way, plus a 23 Kg Hold bag. In the event of "only one pair of skis per bag, Sir..." I'd packed a spare single ski bag in the double bag.

Absolutely no problems whatsoever, and seeing as I was departing early on the Sunday morning I was allowed to drop the bags off the night before as part of the "Twilight" service.

Flights, bags, skis were not cheap, but could not fault EasyJet at all. Car hire from Turin was also costly especially with "super-dooper-insurance" added. Would have been cheaper to drive out.
ski holidays
@pam w, to reassure you if it helps, no issues with 2 skis in each of my double bags (paid for 2 ski bags to get 4 skis) when we travelled out from Bournemouth to Geneva in December. We also checked in 2 boot bags as skis and boots allowed in seperate bags. As I don't like, I always word it as 2 "ski bags" and boots
ski holidays
ster wrote:
@pam w, you’re not supposed to but they never seem to check the contents as long as its within the dimensions of your allowed bag depending on which you have bought. ....

I have read everything they publish and skis is always in plural nowhere does it state 1 pair of skis, stipulation is weight 20kg.
latest report
Baggage weight can pooled, so you should have had a combined weight of 40kg if no other hold luggage was taken.

https://www.easyjet.com/en/help/baggage/sports-equipment
latest report
Thanks all, that's reassuring. Will dither about whether to check in one of our pairs of boots..... I wonder if they'd fit "under the seat in front" as our free cabin bag. I prefer not to be parted from them, really.
snow report
@pam w,
Yep, you can put what you like in there as long as it is legal & not overweight (including clothes, etc).
Ski bag did allow you to pack boots in a separate bag to the skis as long as the combined weight is not over the 20kg limit.
ski holidays
@pam w, As others have said, the only answer you will get from EasyJet is that the ski carriage charge is for one set of skis (and boots). If you book one ski carriage, but put two in the bag and they lose it you will have a problem convincing them to compensate you for two sets of skis. But the reality on check in is they only care about the weight. If you are under the total weight pooled across all the luggage you have paid for, you will have no problem. We travel with two double sportubes, so very obvious that there is more than one set of skis in each given the size. I have never had a problem. If asked at check-in (you won't be), just say you have one set of skis in the bag. Depending on where you are travelling from and to you will probably use the self-drop anyway, in which case no-one will even see your bag except at oversize baggage and they don't work for the airline so have no interest.

In short - take the two sets of skis. And don't give it another thought.
ski holidays
NickyJ wrote:
ster wrote:
@pam w, you’re not supposed to but they never seem to check the contents as long as its within the dimensions of your allowed bag depending on which you have bought. ....

I have read everything they publish and skis is always in plural nowhere does it state 1 pair of skis, stipulation is weight 20kg.

Hmmh, thats true. But it only matters if they check it (unlikely) and try to make you pay for more pairs or lose them, then I guess they would argue they mean one pair as thats how the man on the clapham omnibus would interpret it.

You could stand at the gate and argue but I’d bet you wouldn’t get very far.
latest report
pam w wrote:
Thanks all, that's reassuring. Will dither about whether to check in one of our pairs of boots..... I wonder if they'd fit "under the seat in front" as our free cabin bag. I prefer not to be parted from them, really.

We booked hubby a seat which gave him extra hand luggage and extra leg room (and us on row behind in cheapesr seats), we are forced to pay for seats as due to child with autism can't be split up! He then took one of the boot bags. We have the Lange Duo boot bags which are better for fitting on aircraft
snow report
pam w wrote:

you get 15 kg with your free "small" EJ cabin bag. They are mainly concern that it does actually fit under the seat, as opposed to exactly 45 x 36 x 20 cm, so shouldn't be an issue, depending on shape or size of bag, ie. as long as its not massive, or take the in a flattish bag packed toe to top, along with any other odds and sods you need on the flight.
ski holidays
t44tomo wrote:
pam w wrote:

you get 15 kg with your free "small" EJ cabin bag. They are mainly concern that it does actually fit under the seat, as opposed to exactly 45 x 36 x 20 cm, so shouldn't be an issue, depending on shape or size of bag, ie. as long as its not massive, or take the in a flattish bag packed toe to top, along with any other odds and sods you need on the flight.

Just be careful with this - there are some occasions where EasyJet staff will check under-seat bags for size at the gate. I guess I have seen that happening more at some airports than others (Madrid especially) but probably 1 in 10/15 flights in general or something like that.
latest report
Quote:

I have read everything they publish and skis is always in plural

Yes - but in the guidance on sports luggage there is a very clear picture of one pair of skis and one pair of poles! That was one of the things which prompted me to make the pointless and expensive phone call.......
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy