Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Cabin baggage rules for 2023 Ryanair, EJ, Jet2,Tui, BA

Poster: A snowHead
adithorp wrote:
I travelled Ryanair in summer like that without issue. You have to book the priority option though to get the second bag allowance. Priority is also limited numbers so might not be available. They weren't letting anyone without priority through with second bag and charging them to put it in the hold.

Aye we have booked priority. Its just trying to combine boots and helmet into it. I would use a hire helmet, but I'm a specs wearer so need my Visor helmet. What helmet do you have in the summer, or when you said like that - did you mean holdall as 2nd bag??
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I meant 2nd bag
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
adithorp wrote:
I meant 2nd bag

OK. different situation.

Hopefully the general queue gets more scrutiny than the priority queue then.

Will see which of my not quite 20cm width bags looks smallest but will still take my helmet inside if necessary. I think gangling it outside is a red rag to a bull on Ryan Air, other airlines seem more relaxed from experience.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
On my jet2 flights to and from Bristol to Chambery, a lot of people had 2 and a few 3 hand luggage bags, no one was stopped. One guy had large hold-all, boot bag and small rucksack.
They were going down the line giving out “under seat” stickers but people just ignored it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
how are TUI enforcing the one set of skis in a bag? Can they ask you to open your bags at check in?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@o11y, they can, but probably won't
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@o11y,
Quote:

how are TUI enforcing the one set of skis in a bag? Can they ask you to open your bags at check in?

Weight. I've never been asked to open any bags, but they do weigh them. I guess if you have a ski holdall sans wheels you may be able to get in two pairs of planks in under 15kgs. Don't forget that weight is combined, if you've paid for 35kgs total (20 + 15) then that's what you get as long as no one bag is over the max allowance. It's also combined weight within your group too.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gixxerniknik wrote:
@o11y,
Quote:

Weight. I've never been asked to open any bags, but they do weigh them. I guess if you have a ski holdall sans wheels you may be able to get in two pairs of planks in under 15kgs. Don't forget that weight is combined, if you've paid for 35kgs total (20 + 15) then that's what you get as long as no one bag is over the max allowance. It's also combined weight within your group too.

I would expect them to weigh them, as per any other airline, but as long as you are within the allowance then i was just wondering if they could actually ask you to open your bags to check. I have not flown with TUI/Crystal for over 10 years so i suppose i will find out in a few weeks if they enforce it or not.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@o11y, if you are not over weight in your group then they won't. I've never heard of TUI/Crystal asking to open a bag but I do know they charge if your group is over weight. I'm quite lucky because the two mates I normally fly with are short back bottoms and only have one pair of planks so I just use up their weight allowance being a lanky git with two pairs!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
tbf, in most cases, the check in staff just won't have the time to ask you to open them, so unless you are well over the limit, you are likely to get through with as many skis as you can get into the bag. Once you get round to oversize luggage, they just won't care.

I suppose there's nothing stopping you slitting a third pair between 2 bags if it evens out the weight.

It would be a real pain if one bag went missing though.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
oversize baggage weigh it all too now in my experience...not sure if they actually care if anything is over weight though!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

What's people opinion on a ski helmet attached to outside of your cabin baggage. I fly BA 99% of the time and max out both my cabin baggage. Would I be pushing it if I had my helmet above this?

Never have issues with helmet. At check-in the carry on and helmet are on the floor not visible to the desk staff. I just wander onto the plane with the helmet either attached to the carry on or in a drawstring bag slung over shoulder. No one ever says a thing. BA, Delta, EJ, Tui/Thomson amongst others. Though haven't done Ryan Air for a long time.

Then I stick it in the overhead or often fits under the seat or enough to convince them it's out of the way.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 9-01-23 21:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BA seem to be the best for skis as they don't make them a thing, and they just fit into oversize baggage: 190 x 75 x 65cm.

Usual allowance is 23kg which should fit 2-3 pairs of skis. Club Europe gets you 2 x 32kg which could probably cope with 8 pairs, if little else.

If you're in a large group on BA you could even upgrade one person to business and get them to carry everyone's skis.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
o11y wrote:

We’ve never known them to check how many but they do get weighed when you do self check in for the luggage tag. Oversize luggage staff (certainly at BHX) don’t bother checking anything except they match the boarding card.

I think it’s more to do with the company hiring you a set should yours go walkies & don’t arrive in resort.

If I do ski in March, we’ll put both pairs in one bag but take our bindings off to fit the 15kg limit & carry these in our hold luggage. It’s not the end of the world if we have to pay for one ski hire should they get lost.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
t44tomo wrote:
adithorp wrote:
I meant 2nd bag

Will see which of my not quite 20cm width bags looks smallest but will still take my helmet inside if necessary. I think gangling it outside is a red rag to a bull on Ryan Air, other airlines seem more relaxed from experience.

We are Ireland based so regularly use Ryanair and I find them efficient and helpful, and not the dragons Michael O'Leary likes to paint them as Laughing though do find the Dublin staff more relaxed than Manchester where we also have used them regularly. We flew with them to Italy in summer and had the correct number though probably some slightly too large cabin bags and they didn't care. I can't see most of them having time to worry about a dangling helmet.
snow report
Despite whatever it may say on their website, as well as one cabin bag (usually a laptop rucksack thing) Easy Jet have always let me take a full sized guitar on board too, I've always been able to put the guitar in the overhead locker, with the laptop rucksack under the seat in front. Never had any problems with this, nobody's ever stopped me and nobody's ever questioned it.

I've been doing this for many years now and I've seen other people doing it too.

For what it's worth to know..
ski holidays
Lauka wrote:
t44tomo wrote:
adithorp wrote:
I meant 2nd bag

We are Ireland based so regularly use Ryanair and I find them efficient and helpful, and not the dragons Michael O'Leary likes to paint them as Laughing though do find the Dublin staff more relaxed than Manchester where we also have used them regularly. We flew with them to Italy in summer and had the correct number though probably some slightly too large cabin bags and they didn't care. I can't see most of them having time to worry about a dangling helmet.

Thanks, that's reassuring. Similarly, I will be within the spirit of the rules, if not the exact dimensions. Whilst we could check a case in between us, it can potentially add 30-60 mins to your journey, which is a reasonable chunk of that first afternoon ski time. My other option is one boot and helmet plus other stuff in the big roll-on and one boot on the small underseat ruck sack which might work. I have a week to experiment!!
snow conditions
adithorp wrote:
I travelled Ryanair in summer like that without issue. You have to book the priority option though to get the second bag allowance. Priority is also limited numbers so might not be available. They weren't letting anyone without priority through with second bag and charging them to put it in the hold.

My friend had not understood the meaning of one bag on a basic Ryan Air flight back in December. She had her one 'small' bag plus a fairly large handbag. I reorganised my one bag and we worked out that we could put the contents of her handbag in our pockets and stuff the bag itself inside my one small bag if necessary. It was not. No one blinked an eye on either the outward or return flights. Possibly she was just lucky.
latest report
Pleased to report I found a small hockey gear ruck sack abandoned by my daughter which is perfect for the "one boot and helmet plus other stuff in the big roll-on and one boot in the small underseat ruck sack" option. Had a quick test last night and all seems to fit in well. also means I can fill the roll on without exceeding 10Kg, which was a bit sketchy with both boots + skiwear in there.
latest report
t44tomo wrote:
adithorp wrote:
I meant 2nd bag

OK. different situation.

Hopefully the general queue gets more scrutiny than the priority queue then.

I attach mine to my hand luggage, haven't had a problem once it's not causing a lot of bother, (ryanair)
ski holidays
I just put my boots in my Arva rucksack and put my avi gear in my hold bag with helmet etc. rationale being i can pretty much get everything else but am like the princess and the pea with my boots !
ski holidays
biddpyat wrote:
I attach mine to my hand luggage, haven't had a problem once it's not causing a lot of bother, (ryanair)

Reassuring. Cheers.
ski holidays
I bought a hand luggage bag that fits the easyjet under the seat.
https://amzn.eu/d/e6boTqg
Fits my skis socks and passport.
Helmet can easy fit in my main bag as it takes up so little room if you fill it full of stuff like t-shirts and thermals
latest report
Anecdotally easyjet don't enforce the hand luggage, the backpack I now use (without issue) is a bit over the free size and my parents in law travel with pretty large backpacks when they visit and have had no issues. I wouldn't have the guts to use my large Cabin Max bag which I used to use though and it would have to go overhead anyway.

I feel like it's just a way to make extra money from a few who pay and if it results in more people using checked luggage and/or carrying generally smaller bags, which makes it quicker to fill and empty a plane, then they can do their just in time turnaround without missing the takeoff slots. It definitely feels quicker to board now.
snow report
Careful though - whether they enforce hand luggage depends on the airport/time of day/jobsworthness of person. For example, I’ve never been checked on the way out from Gatwick with EasyJet (what with the bag drop), but have been caught out on the return flight from Geneva (to add insult to injury when my wife was with a busted Acl in a wheelchair, which the Swiss guy at check-in seemed to take exception to). Had the same with Inghams/Titan airlines who wanted to check their 6kg limit on the return from Chambery at Xmas, despite boot bags being fine on the way out.
latest report
Tui board / ski allowance - flight only booking told 32kg, then 20kg when booking, then 15kg, phoned to ask for email confirmation which came with 25kg!! Ill take that. just depends on who you speak to
ski holidays
Is there potential to shoot yourself in the foot by putting 2 pairs of skis in a bag and only paying for one pair of skis? If they went missing would it make an insurance claim that much more difficult? Asking for a friend
ski holidays
Poshprop wrote:
Is there potential to shoot yourself in the foot by putting 2 pairs of skis in a bag and only paying for one pair of skis? If they went missing would it make an insurance claim that much more difficult? Asking for a friend

The perceived consequence of putting more than one pair in a bag has been that airlines will only pay out for one/ cover one pair to rent until yours show up.

Can’t recall any issues/experiences with insurance companies and attempting to claim from them mentioned here. Be interesting to know.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ryan Air boarding staff at Stansted this morning we more interested in getting us in the plane than what bags were being carried on. I wouldn't take the proverbial, but no-one batted an eyelid at our slightly oversized underseat bags. As long as they went under the seat, that was fine.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 23-01-23 11:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
quininio wrote:
Tui board / ski allowance - flight only booking told 32kg, then 20kg when booking, then 15kg, phoned to ask for email confirmation which came with 25kg!! Ill take that. just depends on who you speak to

I think with Tui:
Normal baggage.......15kg
Ski Holidays.............20kg
Finest Customers......23kg
Pooled luggage.....max 25kg in any one bag.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 19-01-23 21:05; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@Old Fartbag, Totally agree.

TUI/Crystal.

Just phoned them.
Ski holidays = 20kgs hold
ski carriage = 15 kgs
snowboard carriage = 15kgs
Carry on = 10kgs as long as it's within the size.
Max bag weight = 25kgs

The very helpful chap on the phone said the hold weight is pooled so one bag can be over as long as the other is under by the same or more. He said it's really down to who is on the desk at the time as to whether you'll get charged extra if over. I explained to him that I'm an old fart who needs body armour, skimojos and all sorts of parapenalia which won't fit in 35 kgs but I just had to swallow it and buy another board/ski carriage...cheaper than hiring skis for a couple of days is the way I look at it.
So I'm taking 1 hold bag and 1 coffin wheelie bag (because I don't want to lug about 3 bags) and a small carry on. I'll try to remember to report back in just over a week when I come back.
latest report
I flew with Tui yesterday. No issues with taking your helmet or duty free as well as your cabin luggage
latest report
Am now packing and bumping this to check on the "helmet under seat in front" question. A helmet's smallest dimension is more than 20 cms. Will it really go under the seat in front? The alternative is in the suitcase in the hold, but there are two of us, and two helmets take up a big chunk of room,even filled with socks and knickers.
snow report
@pam w, Airlines vary - underseat dimensions to fit under the seat in front, is 40x20x25cm
latest report
worse case scenario... wear it on the plane Toofy Grin
snow report
@pam w, yes it will fit but people usually just attach it to their backpack
ski holidays
But nowadays the backpack has to fit under the seat in front.
snow report
Need to pay a lot extra for a bigger cabin bag in the overhead locker
snow report
pam w wrote:
But nowadays the backpack has to fit under the seat in front.

My backpack fits under the seat, but I do pay for the extra cabin bag for boots/mojo
ski holidays
I;ve paid for ski and boot carriage (in the hold). My backpack will fit under the seat in front normally, but not sure it will with helmet in - I suppose we could wear helmets if necessary.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy