Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Cabin baggage rules for 2023 Ryanair, EJ, Jet2,Tui, BA

Poster: A snowHead
Ryanair:
All passenger ticket types include a small personal bag which must fit under the seat in front of you. This must be a maximum of 40cm x 20cm x 25cm.

Oversized cabin baggage will be refused at the boarding gate, or where available, placed in the hold of the aircraft for a fee of €/£69.99 (fee subject to VAT on domestic flights at applicable government rates).

EJ:
You can take one small cabin bag per person on board for free. It can be a maximum size of 45cm x 36cm x 20 cm (including any handles or wheels) and needs to fit under the seat in front of you. It can be up to 15kg and you’ll need to be able to carry it onboard yourself.

Any bag over these restrictions will incur a £39.99 charge and will go in the hold.

Jet2:
Passengers can carry on board one piece of hand luggage free of charge, weighing no more than 10kg no larger than 56cm x 45cm x 25cm, including any wheels and handles.

Tui:
On a TUI Airways flight, you can carry one piece of hand luggage of up to 10kg for free. The maximum dimensions of your hand luggage can be 55cm x 40cm x 20cm and you must be able to lift your hand luggage into the overhead storage compartments yourself.

You’ll get no extra allowance for things like laptops, handbags and items bought at the airport - they must fit within your one piece of hand luggage.

BA:
Customers on British Airways flights can take hand luggage and one small item on board. Hand luggage should be no bigger than 56cm x 45cm x 25cm and the small item limited to 40cm x 30cm x 15cm.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/ryanair-easyjet-jet2-tui-and-british-airways-hand-luggage-rules-for-2023/ar-AA1652h7?cvid=da42d185ff514141a20b06d07bdc5aad

Happy hols. Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 8-01-23 18:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can you still take an umbrella on BA in addition to the small item and the hand-luggage, we must be told!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not sure what’s new about any of those rules. They look the same as the 2022 rules to me.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
TUI have reduced the weight for board/ski carriage down to 15kgs. No longer can I take both in one bag now. Sad This could be the final straw for me and package holidays, if we number 3 or more I think we'll drive down from now on.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I see Amazon are selling bags designed for each airline, to there maximum free size
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@gixxerniknik, I wonder if any snowHeads travelling with TUI soon could confirm whether compliance with that 15kg bag limit is actually monitored and enforced?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@brianatab, very useful timely summary Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@PeakyB, I flew Glasgow to Salzburg with TUI today and they certainly weighed my ski bag. It was 17.5kg as it had two pairs of skis in it but no issue as I’d paid for two pairs. If youn take 2 sets of skis they can be in individual bags max 15kg each or one double bag max 23kg.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Didn't they all have the same size rules a few years ago, so you could just buy the one size cabin bag and it worked for all of them,
before the race to the smallest started?

I notice Ryanair's cabin bag is about the same volume as BA's second one?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I use Avios to fly BA Club to
Innsbruck or Salzburg. Excellent value with no worries about luggage. Skis (two sets) and suitcase in the hold, boots too, or in the cabin with helmet on back pack.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
brianatab wrote:
Didn't they all have the same size rules a few years ago, so you could just buy the one size cabin bag and it worked for all of them,
before the race to the smallest started?

I think BA & EJ might have had but a little while ago now, don’t know about the others.

I have never chosen to fly Ryanair.

Interestingly US Domestic travel seems to be more organised in that the majority of airlines seem to have the same allowance as a general rule is that the bag must be under 45 linear inches—the total sum of the bag’s length, width, and depth. Mainly producing limits set as 22 by 14 by 9 inches
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Valkyrie, That's very good info, I hadn't got that.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@PeakyB, weighed both the ski bags we had at Innsbruck on a flight to Luton today. Both were about 10kg so not an issue so no idea about enforcement!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@gixxerniknik, It’s been 15kg per bag for as long as I can remember, but the price has significantly increased in the past few years. How we yearn for the £15/no weight limit costs of long ago.

From the website - “Ski carriage:

You can buy ski carriage on the Flight Extras website. It's sold per set of skis or snowboard (not per bag) – one set of skis or one snowboard in one bag costs £50 and the maximum weight is 15kg. To take two sets of skis or two snowboards in one bag, you must buy two lots of ski carriage at £50 each and the total maximum weight is 23kg.

You can also pack clothes in the bag, as long as it doesn't go over the weight limit.

You can use one of the larger wheelie bags by paying the £50 ski carriage charge, with a checked baggage allowance of 25kg total. If you choose this option, you can't take any other checked baggage.

Ski carriage doesn't include ski/board boots – these are part of your checked baggage or hand luggage allowance and must be packed in a separate bag.”
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thankfully I don’t have my own skis and another reason to rent in resort. If you ski once a year it is not worth owning them with carriage, weight limits and having them serviced. It usually costs about €80-€100 a week to hire premium (maybe not top level but not cheapest) and so much less hassle. I get to ski on newish skis every year.

Also we go via train, as it works for us, even changing in Paris. One big bag and 2 boot bags between us does it perfectly.
May take 2 biggger bags this year and stuff the boot bags into it, so we can take pillows Eh oh!
latest report
A few things to put ski ownership into a good light and make the economics better
- buy second hand, let someone else take the big depreciation hit, as you would with a second hand car. You can get some great skis for not much money, viz. stuff that gets sold on here.
- put more than one pair into a ski bag when flying to spread the carriage cost, I know you aren’t supposed to but have never had this or hear of this being checked, just the weight and length.
- means you know what ski you are getting rather than what the rental shop has and that its been serviced properly. I certainly have seen rental skis rented out when the bindings were poorly set up for the boot.
- you look like the real deal in the airport/train station!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 8-01-23 14:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@ster,

Quote:

Interestingly US Domestic travel seems to be more organised

don't American's just carry their skis over their shoulders, whilst wearing a ski/xmas type jumper in American airports, just like die hard 2?

or is this just a way of pointing out to the thicko's that the film is set in winter Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
@Chuckles3, I've just checked, the last time I flew TUI with 2 pairs of skis was March 2015, so a while ago. Pretty sure it was 20kg limit then for the carriage and only paid for the one carriage. I just wouldn't have got the two pairs in under 15Kgs anyway.

Pretty sure every time I've flown they've weighed both normal and ski bag, once I was over but my mate was under so that's when I discovered the allowance is combined.

I've always taken a wheelie ski bag and a normal wheeled luggage bag with no problems.
ski holidays
@ster. Love your reasons, but I’ve had 2nd hand skis and they were xxxx I don’t know enough about them to buy decent ones. When I’ve hired I’ve been able to have them swapped/bindings reset/serviced when taken chunks out of them with bare rocks.
So looking like the bomb doesn’t matter to me Very Happy Laughing
snow report
If we stick to the essentials here this could become a very useful thread.
ski holidays
But are these changes? Feels like EJ haven't changed?
ski holidays
terrygasson wrote:
@ster,

Quote:

don't American's just carry their skis over their shoulders, whilst wearing a ski/xmas type jumper in American airports, just like die hard 2?

or is this just a way of pointing out to the thicko's that the film is set in winter Very Happy Very Happy

Surely the buckets of snow would have given it away? Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

those have been the EJ rules for a while, but not all, and it's useful to have them, and recent rules/experience with ski and board bags in one place.
snow report
It doesn't really matter if any of the dimensions/ weight limits have changed, It's still worth having a thread where the current limits can be found.

It would only take one of the companies to have reduced the size by 1cm, or weight by 1Kg, and it could have cost someone a fair chuck of money.

Some airlines can be quite lenient, but some of the above are known to be very strict, and charge every additional penny they can get out of their customers for "extras".
snow report
These aren't comprehensive cabin bag rules though are they? Just the basic seat/free allowance?

Ryanair allow 2 (1 as listed plus a larger/10kg) with priority seats.
EasyJet allow 2 bags with some seat types (up-front, extra leg-room, speedy boarding).
snow conditions
@ster,
Quote:

terrygasson wrote:
@ster,

Quote:

or is this just a way of pointing out to the thicko's that the film is set in winter

Surely the buckets of snow would have given it away?

yes, you would have thought that!!!
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

those have been the EJ rules for a while, but not all, and it's useful to have them, and recent rules/experience with ski and board bags in one place.

They’ve got the EJ rules wrong - it’s poor journalism. You can pay for a larger cabin bag by booking an upfront/exit row seat, or pay for it separately or have EJ Plus membership. They suggest you can only bring a small bag or put it in the hold - that’s wrong and has been that way since Feb 21.
snow report
Quote:

it’s poor journalism.

Shocked Surely not, who ever heard of such a thing!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@midgetbiker, you’d think that they could actually read and understand the policies though, wouldn’t you?
snow report
unless you ski several weeks per flight or are really good skier who wants particular skis it makes much more sense to hire

I used to have my own skis and, even when carriage was cheap, the cost of that plus servicing was more than hiring for a week
ski holidays
skimummk wrote:
unless you ski several weeks per flight or are really good skier who wants particular skis it makes much more sense to hire

I used to have my own skis and, even when carriage was cheap, the cost of that plus servicing was more than hiring for a week

I don’t get why this is even a debate. Some like to take their own skis. Some are happy to hire. Either way is fine, and we we not all driven by the cheapest option.
ski holidays
zikomo wrote:
skimummk wrote:

I don’t get why this is even a debate. Some like to take their own skis. Some are happy to hire. Either way is fine, and we we not all driven by the cheapest option.

+1 ...and what does it have to do with cabin baggage rules Puzzled
ski holidays
The Ryanair hand baggage size is very tight. Might be tricky fitting a ski helmet in that.
snow conditions
What's people opinion on a ski helmet attached to outside of your cabin baggage. I fly BA 99% of the time and max out both my cabin baggage. Would I be pushing it if I had my helmet above this?
latest report
@WASHOUT, been no problem when we’re done it on BA many times (and EJ). No-ones blinked an eye lid. If the worst comes to worst wear it, to protect yourself from cabin bags falling in you from the over head lockers, doesn't say you cant wear hats.
snow conditions
WASHOUT wrote:
What's people opinion on a ski helmet attached to outside of your cabin baggage. I fly BA 99% of the time and max out both my cabin baggage. Would I be pushing it if I had my helmet above this?

it shows how much a joke the new rules are, people take it to the max, then strap a sizable helmet to the side.

I have no issue with it & they are a pain to pack so I see it as a plus but dont stop someone for being 2 inch over while allowing others to take a 12 inch ball attached to their bag
ski holidays
brianatab wrote:
It doesn't really matter if any of the dimensions/ weight limits have changed, It's still worth having a thread where the current limits can be found.

Surely that's what the airline websites are for? Links to those would be useful, but I wouldn't base my plans on what it says in a forum (however good Snowheads is).
snow report
Has anyone flown Ryan Air recently?

I have a legit Ryan Air size roll-on that my boot go in with most of my gear packed in and around them and comes under 10kg. I then have a soft sized holdall I use as my under seat bag with any other odds and ends in plus my helmet. I pack the visor inside the helmet for transport.

if the holdall were stuffed full it would be oversize, however pack lightly it would stuff into the 40x20x25cm limit, bar a small bulge for the helmet. it fits under seat no problem. As said above I could wear the helmet, put the visor in the holdall and all would fit.

Easy jet have never challenged this size of holdall even with helmet in it and EJ never challenge carrying helmet as an extra providing it will all go under your seat.

Really don't want to check anything in as getting an early flight so we have the afternoon skiing on arrival so want a swift getaway on landing

Never travelled with this set up with Ryan air, but I know they can be luggage nazis? Any first hand experience?
snow conditions
I travelled Ryanair in summer like that without issue. You have to book the priority option though to get the second bag allowance. Priority is also limited numbers so might not be available. They weren't letting anyone without priority through with second bag and charging them to put it in the hold.
snow conditions
Yes, you'd need the Priority option. I've not travelled by air to ski for years - wouldn't have thought a helmet would go under a seat, but good to know that's an option.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy