Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Boot Bag - Checked or Hand luggage?

Poster: A snowHead
@phil_w, the UK budget airlines now get you to pay for "cabin baggage" and only a "small rucksack or handbag" is allowed on for free that has to fit in front of your feet...

Easyjet website:

Everyone can bring one small cabin bag per person on board for free. It can be a maximum size of 45 x 36 x 20 cm (including any handles and wheels) and needs to be kept under the seat in front of you. That should be enough to bring all the essentials for your journey or for a short trip. Your bag can weigh up to 15kg, but we do ask that you’re able to lift and carry it yourself.

If you’d also like to bring a large cabin bag on board (max. 56 x 45 x 25 cm, including any handles and wheels), you have the option to book a large cabin bag for your flight. Every customer who books a large cabin bag can also enjoy the benefit of speedy boarding.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Old Fartbag wrote:
albob wrote:
@Old Fartbag, "..For many years now, I have used a Holdall with end pockets for Boots.." - What make/model ; I have been looking for similar, but cannot find anything suitable

Here you go: https://www.sportsdirect.com/nevica-large-ski-holdall-920008#colcode=92000803

Link doesn't work.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nick M wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
albob wrote:
@Old Fartbag, "..For many years now, I have used a Holdall with end pockets for Boots.." - What make/model ; I have been looking for similar, but cannot find anything suitable

Here you go: https://www.sportsdirect.com/nevica-large-ski-holdall-920008#colcode=92000803

Link doesn't work.

They have been discontinued/unavailable for some time. A shame as I could be doing with one.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
In the "old" days when we had kids each child would have one of my boots in their backpack as I was petrified to lose them and didn't have space in my handluggage.

For about 15 yrs I was precious about my boots which were £00s and had been altered in Bicester, Les Arcs and Courchevel before finally "fitting" so didn't dare let them out of my sight - then one year the sole fell off and I rented a pair for a day while they were repaired - and was gutted to find that these off the shelf boots were 100* more comfortable - because I think technology had moved on so much. I was going to just rent in future but ended up buying a Decathlon pair in the sale - they are super comfy, not performance but then I don't need performance, and as they are cheap and not fitted specifically for me I'm not bothered if I lose them.

We have roller bags with solid bases, so I just wrap them up to protect the clasps and stick them in the bottom of the bag.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SlipnSlide wrote:
I used to just put them in as a separate item of hold luggage which was fine so long as you didn't exceed the total weight allowance (which was typically quite generous). Some airlines like Easyjet then changed the rules so that you could only take one item of hold luggage which made it more difficult unless you have a really large hold bag so started taking my ski boot bag as my hand luggage item.

Don't easyjet allow a boot bag, as well as skis, if you pay for ski carriage? Puzzled Their sporting goods charge is currently £37 each way for "skis and/or boots."

We've not tried it ourselves, however, as we travel with our ski boots in hand luggage.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Don't easyjet allow a boot bag, as well as skis, if you pay for ski carriage?

correct, I do this.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
Easyjets new luggage policy makes this difficult to carry on
Not for those of us who travel extremely light and only take the essentials wink My 45 x 36 x 20 cm carry on bag (ie easyjet's maximum size for a free bag) is big enough for my ski boots and ski kit (trousers, polo, gloves, goggles, socks). Plus toiletries, phone charger, spare undies/socks and a book Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
is that "I have no need for luggage - I just wear it all..." wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The beauty about the ski boot bag under EJ ski luggage policy is that its like getting another check in bag for sod all. Carry your precious ski boots in hand luggage and load up in the boot bag the things you don’t want to put into you ski bag with the sharp edges involved. They never check whats in them.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ster wrote:
The beauty about the ski boot bag under EJ ski luggage policy is that its like getting another check in bag for sod all. Carry your precious ski boots in hand luggage and load up in the boot bag the things you don’t want to put into you ski bag with the sharp edges involved. They never check whats in them.

If you take a ski bag do they check you actually have skis in it? or is it a cheap way of getting a hold bag and a boot bag?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was reliably informed that, for a school ski trip in 2017-18, easyJet checked a snowboard bag and charged for each of the pairs of skis in it. My daughter was allowed to take her own skis the year before; my son was not allowed the following year (without paying for the extra baggage charges, anyway). Maybe it was a one-off. Maybe if the initial answer to the question was "a snowboard" things might have been different.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I’ve had my ski bag checked once many years ago perhaps from chambery or another smaller airport.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have a Dakine boot bag (discontinued) that packs boots 'tetris' style which cuts down the bulk . . .always overload it and have NEVER been checked on any flights (Easy Jet/Ryan Air/Eurowings/BA/Lufthansa) primarily because I carry it rucksack style . . . invisible at check-in and by the time you've run through speedy boarding your on the plane and its stowed in the overhead locker . . .!

Footnote - I am going insane - already commented on this post thrice and at the beginning of the thread - getting old!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimummk wrote:
ster wrote:

If you take a ski bag do they check you actually have skis in it? or is it a cheap way of getting a hold bag and a boot bag?

Not sure how cheap a ski bag is vs normal load bag but never had their contents checked on any airline I’ve used - EJ, BA or Swiss.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Belch, EJ now define that as a cabin bag if it goes in the overhead locker and charge for it!!
latest report
kitenski wrote:
@Belch, EJ now define that as a cabin bag if it goes in the overhead locker and charge for it!!

Haven't booked EJ for a while (am doing more Thurs-Mon trips than Sat to Sat) and am finding BA cheaper (all in with ski carriage etc) than both EJ & Ryan Air etc these days . . .
snow report
Noting that all thing in skiing are expensive, I think boot bags are outrageously expensive, even the 'cheaper' ones (a shaped bit of nylon with a strap) are +£30 in decathlon! I have an old school (huge) laptop bag that I can just about squeeze mine into!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy