Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Boot Bag - Checked or Hand luggage?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Just wanted to gage thoughts on the subject?

Will soon be buying my first pair of boots for a trip in March. But what's the consensus on checking in your boot bag or holding on to it as hand luggage while flying? Provided the airline allows for the weight/size to be taken as hand luggage.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally I use the hand luggage to carry enough clothing that I can get out skiing if a case goes astray.
Ski's boots etc are always available to hire if needed (not that i would want to hire boots)
Ski trousers, gloves etc would be more of a pain to get hold of.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 24-01-22 13:22; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't bother to carry mine as hand luggage, so long as the flight is direct which mine almost always are I pack them in my main luggage. A lot of people talk about carrying them as hand luggage, I've seen a few people do it and it seems to work OK, airlines and security don't seem to mind.

The only time there was any issue was on a Swiss flight once which seemed to have been block booked by a SCGB group. About 20 people had brought boot bags, helmets and airbag rucksacks with them and they were all being rather precious about putting them in overhead lockers and fussing over other people moving stuff about, which of course happens when the flight is fully booked. Helmets I can understand, but boot bags should have gone in the hold on that occasion IMHO, it was the return leg so even if they'd got delayed it wasn't going to affect a holiday.

If you're worried about losing them then you should be fine to carry them as hand luggage, just be prepared to check them if it's really busy.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I always take mine as hand luggage, and pack the bag out with other things like hairdryer, goggles, sunglasses, plug adaptors, ipad, chargers, plus travel docs and money of course. I could probably squeeze in a set of ski stuff (roll up salopettes and stuff them into boots etc) if I swapped some things out.

But I'm female, and every cubic millimetre of my checked luggage is allocated to clothing, toiletries and make up I think I'll need.

Never had a problem with Easyjet.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Usually ALWAYS carry boots on as hand luggage...premise being the last thing I want to have to do is ski in rental boots in the event of a luggage issue.
Have a decent Dakine backpack and they fit flat, tetris style and packed out with other stuff (socks / goggles / gloves etc). Skis/Poles go in hold in a slim padded bag and rest of kit (clobba) goes in a roller suitcase (both in the hold). On very short trips have also sometimes negated roller suitcase and shoved boots AND clobba in backpack - have never been checked / questioned across any airline as bag fits in overhead snuggly but easily...only prob with this is lugging skis as slim bag doesn't have wheels so increases shoulder weight etc which can be tiring / boring.

However imminent short trip (4x nights) I'm going to try something different as I've bought a wider ski 'roller' bag that can take both skis and boots and be dragged behind me (all 'chav matching' Dakine of course) - primarily as I've got stops between flights / am catching public trains and busses so want to keep the level of carried kit low and weight off my shoulders etc. Will put majority of clothing in backpack (ski gear and gloves etc) and my helmet (which usually goes in the hold suitcase) and take the risk on it all arriving with me!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 24-01-22 14:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I used to just put them in as a separate item of hold luggage which was fine so long as you didn't exceed the total weight allowance (which was typically quite generous). Some airlines like Easyjet then changed the rules so that you could only take one item of hold luggage which made it more difficult unless you have a really large hold bag so started taking my ski boot bag as my hand luggage item.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I purchased a nice Nordica boot bag for my first ski trip in 1986. I deposit my boots in it for storage in the loft. For the last fifty or so trips I pack it in a roller suitcase. I usually wrap some stuff in with my skis in a separate ski bag. I ski with a medium sized back pack or air bag so carry those onto the plane (sans air cylinder).

I keep meaning to take my Dakine roller ski bag and a large BA size carry on with my boots if I ever went economy. Due to a surfeit of avios points I fly business and leave the massive Dakine bag at home.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@hawkesbaynz,
Quote:

take my Dakine roller ski bag and a large BA size carry on with my boots if I ever went economy.

That's what I do with BA. Skis, poles and most clothes in roller bag, coming in at less than 23kg. Kit for first day's skiing either on my person (ski pants, base layer, jacket) or in my carry-on bag (boots, helmet, gloves, socks etc). Must have saved £100s in ski carriage over the years and this system means I only have to hire skis if my main bag goes missing for a day or two.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I use my backpack as my hand luggage and stick my boots in it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I use a Marmot bag with part-time shoulder straps as my carry on and carry my [hard] boots in that because I can't easily replace them should they be lost/ misplaced. I also carry anything else I can't easily replace in the field. I'm mitigating the lost/ misplaced baggage risk. I've had issues with my board bag a couple of times over the years, always when I've had a connexion and checked-through baggage.

Everything else including airbag, helmet, boards, go in the hold. For the return trip I'll put my boots in there too as the risk no longer exists.

With Canadian internal flights it's not uncommon for all hell to break loose with baggage, generally when the weather isn't cooperating.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Same as @sah I pack them in main hold luggage. I don't really see the point of having them in hand luggage and having to carry them around, assuming you have the weight allowance.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hawkesbaynz wrote:
I purchased a nice Nordica boot bag for my first ski trip in 1986. I deposit my boots in it for storage in the loft. For the last fifty or so trips I pack it in a roller suitcase. I usually wrap some stuff in with my skis in a separate ski bag. I ski with a medium sized back pack or air bag so carry those onto the plane (sans air cylinder).

I keep meaning to take my Dakine roller ski bag and a large BA size carry on with my boots if I ever went economy. Due to a surfeit of avios points I fly business and leave the massive Dakine bag at home.

Didn't we all use Boot Bags in the 80s?....A time before there was a charge to carry skis. I have a Lange Thermofit bag from when God was a boy.

For many years now, I have used a Holdall with end pockets for Boots - which are packed with buckles facing inwards and then padded around with soft clothing.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
philwig wrote:
I use a Marmot bag with part-time shoulder straps as my carry on and carry my [hard] boots in that because I can't easily replace them should they be lost/ misplaced. I also carry anything else I can't easily replace in the field. I'm mitigating the lost/ misplaced baggage risk. I've had issues with my board bag a couple of times over the years, always when I've had a connexion and checked-through baggage.

Everything else including airbag, helmet, boards, go in the hold. For the return trip I'll put my boots in there too as the risk no longer exists.

With Canadian internal flights it's not uncommon for all hell to break loose with baggage, generally when the weather isn't cooperating.

Thats worried me a little - I've got a connecting flight this time with a 1hr turnaround . . .what probs did you have with luggage? Get your point re return trip as it doesnt matter etc . . .
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hand luggage? Pfft, that is amateur hour.

You could do what one of my FIL's work colleagues once did. And that was to WEAR his ski boots all the way. Literally wore them from Fleet train station all the way to the Alps Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Old Fartbag, "..For many years now, I have used a Holdall with end pockets for Boots.." - What make/model ; I have been looking for similar, but cannot find anything suitable
latest report
Quote:

You could do what one of my FIL's work colleagues once did. And that was to WEAR his ski boots all the way. Literally wore them from Fleet train station all the way to the Alps

Which may be why BA now make an explicit point that they will NOT let you on their plane wearing your ski boots! I am wondering whether it is worth trying it on sometime with my 'soft' snowboard boots, which aren't much bigger or more cumbersome then a big pair of hiking boots.
ski holidays
albob wrote:
@Old Fartbag, "..For many years now, I have used a Holdall with end pockets for Boots.." - What make/model ; I have been looking for similar, but cannot find anything suitable

Here you go: https://www.sportsdirect.com/nevica-large-ski-holdall-920008#colcode=92000803
ski holidays
My boots come with me in the plane as does my helmet. I’ve got a Salomon “gear max” boot bag (normal shape boot back with an oversized front pouch) which is within every airline I’ve used’s size limits (AF / KLM /EJ / J2 / TUI).
The husband has one of those backpack things where boots go in the side pouches. It’s too big for all of them.
I can also see that if you’ve got big feet your boots may push most airlines 10kg hand luggage limit - we haven’t (22.5 and 27.5).

My reasons for carrying my boots are that I have previously had luggage not arrive with me on both direct and indirect flights. Hire boots are horrid. I’ve also had luggage (a boot bag and it’s contents specifically) damaged by rubbish handling by the airline.

I carry my helmet so that I know it hasn’t been subjected to the handling mentioned above and been crushed. (Mr ‘Noceros has been the victim of this despite trying to pad it as best he could within his bag).
latest report
tomj wrote:
Quote:

You could do what one of my FIL's work colleagues once did. And that was to WEAR his ski boots all the way. Literally wore them from Fleet train station all the way to the Alps

Which may be why BA now make an explicit point that they will NOT let you on their plane wearing your ski boots! I am wondering whether it is worth trying it on sometime with my 'soft' snowboard boots, which aren't much bigger or more cumbersome then a big pair of hiking boots.

Oh really? I wasn't aware of that. Must have had too many strange people doing it in the past!

Snowboard boots aren't any bigger than the snow boots that I normally wear, so might be worth a shot (with a back up in your bag just in case).
ski holidays
Always carry on; IMV boots are the one thing that are so personal it would be a real problem if lost (especiilly with Colin on this forum spending so long to fit the perfect set of boots).

I use one of these brilliant bags which makes the bag look like a briefcase and fits under the seat; I've never been stopped when carrying in this bag.

snow conditions
Easyjets new luggage policy makes this difficult to carry on
latest report
I've got one of these and because you can wear it back pack style (and its ostensibly obscured from airport staff)

https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Dakine_DLX_Cargo_Pack_SkiSnowboard_BootHelmet_Bag_55L_Black-(111149)

I've never been pulled even with it being slightly oversize for most hand luggage dimension restrictions . . .
latest report
@Jonny996, Always worth getting upfront seats if using Geneva anyway, avoiding the hell of baggage check-in queues on peak week Saturday.

@ptex, Brilliant. Going to try and find one of those bags! Can you get much else in it?
snow report
Ah - it's a sure sign that things are starting to get back to normal when the hardy perennial topics appear again. We've got helmets, boots-as-carry-on and the price of lunch in France already - happy days! Toofy Grin
snow report
tomj wrote:
Quote:

Just get some furry covers for them and they'll never know!
snow conditions
ptex wrote:
Always carry on; IMV boots are the one thing that are so personal it would be a real problem if lost (especiilly with Colin on this forum spending so long to fit the perfect set of boots).

I use one of these brilliant bags which makes the bag look like a briefcase and fits under the seat; I've never been stopped when carrying in this bag.

Would be even more inconspicuous if it didn't have the bright red ROSSIGNOL logo on the side of it! wink
snow conditions
zikomo wrote:
@Jonny996, Always worth getting upfront seats if using Geneva anyway, avoiding the hell of baggage check-in queues on peak week Saturday.

@ptex, Brilliant. Going to try and find one of those bags! Can you get much else in it?

Not that much; I sometimes stuff things into the boots and there is a small pocket on one side and a sleeve on the other that use for documents. Still the best bag I've seen for flights!
ski holidays
ptex wrote:

I have had this bag for a few years now, and it’s brilliant. Fits under the seat in front of you, and it’s accepted by all airlines.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I seem to remember there was a time that Grenoble airport specifically would not let ski boots go as hand baggage, no matter whether they were in bag size limits or not ?

It never concerned me directly but just wondered what the thinking behind that was and whether it has definitely fizzled out as I don't go that way now ?

I once took some aluminium components in hand luggage, just plain aluminium extrusions, to Denmark. OK going out from GB, bag not even rejected by scanner, but on return trip the Danes made me put the bag in the hold rolling eyes
ski holidays
agw wrote:
Ah - it's a sure sign that things are starting to get back to normal when the hardy perennial topics appear again. We've got helmets, boots-as-carry-on and the price of lunch in France already - happy days! Toofy Grin

Lol - naaah - much preferred rows over being politically correct . . . Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I do wonder why everyone thinks it's OK for your main baggage to be lost but everything's still fine if you have your hand-luggage boots?

And how much of a risk is it really that it actually happens?

It's like turning off the TV at the wall before summer holiday to prevent the TV blowing up Very Happy

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 25-01-22 16:40; edited 1 time in total
latest report
agw wrote:
Just get some furry covers for them and they'll never know!

Apart from the funny walk?
snow report
pctaylor wrote:
I do wonder why everyone thinks it's OK for your main baggage to be lost but everything's still fine if you have your hand-luggage boots?

And how much of a risk is it really that it actually happens?

It's like turning off the TV at the wall before summer holiday to prevent the TV blowing up Very Happy

Boots always in my main hold bag and never lost them yet in around 30 years of flying to ski holidays. There, I've probably jinxed my trip next week now Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
pctaylor wrote:
Very Happy

When it happened to me, having my boots with me meant that for the price of a pair of “emergency” ski socks bought in resort, a pack of supermarket knickers and having to steal his toiletries, I got to ski for the first two days of the trip rather than being stuck waiting for my bag to catch me up.
snow conditions
KNoceros wrote:
pctaylor wrote:
Very Happy

When it happened to me, having my boots with me meant that for the price of a pair of “emergency” ski socks bought in resort, a pack of supermarket knickers and having to steal his toiletries, I got to ski for the first two days of the trip rather than being stuck waiting for my bag to catch me up.
Exactly that, see also my post at 1340 yesterday. But I also put spare knickers in my hand luggage! As well as some ski socks, of course. Hold luggage certainly does go astray, it's happened to me, albeit only once.
snow conditions
@Hurtle, NOW I make sure there is a change of undies, ski pants and a hairbrush in said boot bag. Experience is a great teacher!

(Also, in reference to previous delayed bag incident, don’t cunningly hide ALL your € cash in your main bag…. Embarassed rolling eyes )
snow conditions
halfhand wrote:
Boots always in my main hold bag and never lost them yet in around 30 years of flying to ski holidays. There, I've probably jinxed my trip next week now Laughing Laughing

Yep, I guess I'll keep taking the "risk".

But I will walk to the airport rather than take a taxi - less risk of death getting there.. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
@KNoceros, Laughing
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
albob wrote:

Here you go: https://www.sportsdirect.com/nevica-large-ski-holdall-920008#colcode=92000803

Many thanks..
latest report
halfhand wrote:

For me, it has been once in 40 years of flying with Boots (to the Alps).

It happened on Premier Neige week in EK, when there was a sudden large dump of snow, which I think caused a last surge in Bookings. I still remember it was £199 with Crystal, to Hotel Curling in Val Claret - so I did a last minute booking with my Daughter (11 at the time - now 29).

On arrival, after the Luggage Belt stopped, it became clear that over a third of the luggage hadn't made it (including most of ours). We were told by the Crystal Airport Rep, that the plane they chartered wasn't big enough to hold all the luggage and the balance would be sent on the next available flight.

Back at the Hotel, there was a lot of huffing and puffing by many of those missing luggage....especially from a large group of Police, one of whom had legal training (and let everybody know it).

I felt sorry for the Crystal Rep, who remained calm in the face of a wall of anger and legal threats - and fielded questions for a good hour. He told everyone to remain calm and not go rushing off to buy ski clothes and hire kit, as if the luggage did arrive before the morning, it wouldn't be covered by insurance. He said that everything would be done to get the luggage up to the hotel in time for the first day.

The luggage did arrive in the early hours of the morning, so was there in good time for when people got up for their day's skiing. The anger from the previous day melted like snow in a heatwave.

We then had one of my best weeks - Fresh Snow, Wall to wall sunshine and Quiet Pistes......Fantastic.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 25-01-22 18:30; edited 3 times in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy