Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UK > Geneva > France - Entry Requirements

Poster: A snowHead
My understanding is that you are perfectly entitled to travel from Switzerland to France without a lateral flow. The French rule concerning Brits, is direct entry to and from the UK rather than on people who have been in the UK in the last x(i.e 24 hours).

So a brit, flying say from London to Geneva, but then traveling onto France to ski, only needs to fill in SPL and have a covid pass (fully vaxed).

For peace of mind, people could do a lat flow, and I notice that this is the advice Inghams and Crystal are giving their passengers, but I think this is more a case of British over preparedness rather than an official law.

So to clarify it's the point of entry into France rather than where you may have come from that matters in the eyes of the French law. A silly rule I know, but the rule nonetheless.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
maliziacgo wrote:
My understanding is that you are perfectly entitled to travel from Switzerland to France without a lateral flow. The French rule concerning Brits, is direct entry to and from the UK rather than on people who have been in the UK in the last x(i.e 24 hours).

So a brit, flying say from London to Geneva, but then traveling onto France to ski, only needs to fill in SPL and have a covid pass (fully vaxed).

For peace of mind, people could do a lat flow, and I notice that this is the advice Inghams and Crystal are giving their passengers, but I think this is more a case of British over preparedness rather than an official law.

So to clarify it's the point of entry into France rather than where you may have come from that matters in the eyes of the French law. A silly rule I know, but the rule nonetheless.

This is my take on it all. I'm not going to take a LFT when I'm not entering France directly from UK. That's the rule, so I'm not breaking them. Hearing far too many reports of nothing being checked anyway, so no need to go over the top just to be sure.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep I've just ordered 8 LFTs to cover tests into France then again tests into Italy from CH via G St Bernard tunnel. We won't do the second lot unless asked for them at tunnel and then they can be our fallback tests in case they ask us on the way home at the Ch-France border.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Live update. Just had a text from my Brother, who flew into Geneva 2 hours ago. Transiting to France in a hire car and nothing but passports were checked. LFT were not even requested. Pointless paying for them unless flying directly to France!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What about if your hire car is from French side, do you think they will check in airport boarder?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@maliziacgo, et al., yes, fine, sure, and it was 4 months ago but we were asked for our French declarations and test results at GVA passport control ...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, Yes, but what were the swiss rules at the time? Did you have to take a test to get into Switzerland?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Jonny996, I imagine you will be fine, my understanding is the french bit is closed atm anyway, and even if not it only ever applies to flights coming in from France, for all other flights you have to go through Swiss immigration and then walk up stairs to the French area. So you will be coming from Switzerland.

https://www.gva.ch/en/Site/Passagers/Questions-Reponses-FAQ/secteur-france#a7773c93-9319-4866-8fe9-57bc331007d2
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@maliziacgo, pretty sure we needed tests for CH but they checked our French stuff as well. YMMV
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, well you still have to fill in a declaration traveling from Switzerland to France, so that would make sense.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
maliziacgo wrote:
@under a new name, well you still have to fill in a declaration traveling from Switzerland to France, so that would make sense.

My Brother didnt need to do this. Just had the signed French declaration, which again wasn't checked. He completed the Swiss PLF, but that is all he did and needed.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We flew from Edinburgh to Geneva with Jet2 yesterday on our way to Morzine. (This was flight only, not a package holiday.)

We were a bit surprised that we were asked to show our pre-departure LFT certificates at the check in / bag drop, so were glad that we hadn’t chanced it and not bothered. He also wanted to see our Swiss PLFs and proof of vaccination.

That said, our friends at the desk next to us weren’t asked for their LFT certificates and I’m not sure that our guy even knew we were going to France so maybe he was reading his checklist wrong.

Geneva airport only wanted to see our passports and there were no checks at all at the French border.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This is all doing my head in. If you follow the law it appears you don't need any tests to fly to Geneva (swiss) and then you can transfer into France without anything.

I just want it all to go away
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My experience of travelling to Italy last week.
The only people interested (during travel) in PLF/Anti-gen/PCR was the Carrier - My documents were thoroughly checked ; Border/Passport control not interested.

Would I risk not being allowed to board for the sake of a £15 anti-gen ? -- NO...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
albob wrote:
My experience of travelling to Italy last week.
The only people interested (during travel) in PLF/Anti-gen/PCR was the Carrier - My documents were thoroughly checked ; Border/Passport control not interested.

Would I risk not being allowed to board for the sake of a £15 anti-gen ? -- NO...

But it appears the law states you don't need one to fly to Switzerland. The carrier does not know where you are skiing so why would they ask for a test.

Not going until 12th March. Please just do away with it all
snow report
rickyp2 wrote:
We flew from Edinburgh to Geneva with Jet2 yesterday on our way to Morzine. (This was flight only, not a package holiday.)

We were a bit surprised that we were asked to show our pre-departure LFT certificates at the check in / bag drop, so were glad that we hadn’t chanced it and not bothered. He also wanted to see our Swiss PLFs and proof of vaccination.

That said, our friends at the desk next to us weren’t asked for their LFT certificates and I’m not sure that our guy even knew we were going to France so maybe he was reading his checklist wrong.

Geneva airport only wanted to see our passports and there were no checks at all at the French border.

That was all I needed to know, not worth risking for £25 for 2 people with a Fit to Fly. Thanks for sharing.
snow conditions
Sory if off-topic.
I'm in France now and will go to Verbier on Wednesday.
I took the Dover Calais ferry

No trouble at Dover.
All I had to show was my passport and my vaccine status app.
No customs check.
No test certificate required. (Although I paid £30 for a 48hour Lat Flow test) you don't need it.
No checkpoint on the French side
latest report
So, to bring this back on track..........

Notwithstanding some people having experience of not being asked for tests, it is a variable experience.

It sounds like the following is actually what is needed (as of 8th Feb 22) when flying into Geneva and transiting on to France.

48 Hour LFT

Swiss PLF

On your return all you need is a UK PLF
snow report
GreenDay wrote:

Notwithstanding some people having experience of not being asked for tests, it is a variable experience.

It sounds like the following is actually what is needed (as of 8th Feb 22) when flying into Geneva and transiting on to France.

48 Hour LFT

Swiss PLF

You don't need the LFT. Its only law if you are flying directly into France.

Brother was just back from a weekend in Morzine. Flew into Geneva, was never once asked for proof of LFT. Just had to compete the Swiss PLF and then the UK PLF on their return flight. They had the printed French declaration but were never asked for it. In resort they just showed their NHS covid app QR when asked, which again was very rare.
snow conditions
@Roscoe, Sure, but people are being asked by check in at UK airports - the transit rules seem a wee bit vague (even to airline staff) so isnt it sensible to take a LFT to be sure you dont get turned away?
latest report
GreenDay wrote:
@Roscoe, Sure, but people are being asked by check in at UK airports - the transit rules seem a wee bit vague (even to airline staff) so isnt it sensible to take a LFT to be sure you dont get turned away?

They flew with Easyjet to Switzerland so were not asked for a LFT as it is not a legal requirement to fly into Switzerland.

If people are in doubt, they should speak to the airline they are flying with a few days before they travel. But not sure with an Airline would enforce something that is not law?

From reading the responses to this, it seems most that have been asked for a pre-flight LFT when flying to Switzerland have booked with a tour operator with organised transfers to France. I assume they are being belt & braces but not sure why?
snow report
@Roscoe, Just went through the Swiss govt entry / transit requirements and you are right.

Dead frustrating though, it is worrying that check in staff are asking for things they dont need.................
ski holidays
I think the biggest confusion is people confusing what is required and what may be asked for.

As has been shown these things are not the same.
snow report
@Roscoe, Your Brother would have needed to take a DAY-2 LFT/PCR on return to the UK as well as filling out PLF ;
No LFT/PCR required for return to UK from the 11th of Feb
snow conditions
GreenDay wrote:

48 Hour LFT

Swiss PLF

@GreenDay
On the Swiss TravelCheck site if you click "Transit without stopover: I enter only for transit, with the intention and the possibility of continuing directly to another country (without stopover)" option the result says you do not even need the Swiss PLF !!

"..On your return all you need is a UK PLF..." LFT/PCR needed until the 11th of Feb..

Note -- Airline might think differently...
snow conditions
albob wrote:
@Roscoe, Your Brother would have needed to take a DAY-2 LFT/PCR on return to the UK as well as filling out PLF ;
No LFT/PCR required for return to UK from the 11th of Feb

Yes he has done his 2 day LFT today.

I detailed what he needed to physically get himself to Morzine and home again.
snow conditions
Mike Pow wrote:
I think the biggest confusion is people confusing what is required and what may be asked for.

Extactly! You do not need a pre-flight LFT to fly to Switzerland. There is no requirement to do so. If people chose to do one that is there preference but it is not a requirement.
ski holidays
@Roscoe, Ahh....

I did mine yesterday and the result was 'inconclusive' -- had to fork out for a Randox 'click and collect' : Roll on the 11th of Feb...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
albob wrote:
@Roscoe, Ahh....

I did mine yesterday and the result was 'inconclusive' -- had to fork out for a Randox 'click and collect' : Roll on the 11th of Feb...

Ouch!!

I'm flying out next month. So all i'll currently have to do is the Swiss PLF and that's it. Hopefully they drop that too by the time I fly, not that its much hassle.
latest report
Having flown into GVA today, Swiss PLF was all that was required, following bro in law's experience of same on Sunday. Confusingly, GVA airport staff were not sure of requirements when travelling out last week.

In other news, did confirm that holders of Titres de Sejour can use the EU passport lanes Happy
ski holidays
Roscoe wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

Extactly! You do not need a pre-flight LFT to fly to Switzerland. There is no requirement to do so. If people chose to do one that is there preference but it is not a requirement.

True, but who knows what would have happened if we’d said ‘we don’t have one’ when we were asked for our LFTs by Jet2? They could see our PLF said we were transiting through Switzerland and I may have told them we were going to France. Perhaps they would have looked more closely at the rules and agreed we were ok, perhaps they would have said they wouldn’t take us on principle. Either way, it’s not a conversation I would have wanted to have at the airport with my whole holiday depending on it.
ski holidays
@rickyp2, which was why we had LFTs ready to use, chums had asked at GVA if they needed them to return but no-one knew.

In the end we forgot to do them and went to EDI Easyjet checkin to make sure we'd be OK. The nice agent asked if we had vacc certs and Swiss PLFs. we said yes so she took our boarding passes, scribbled "checked" on them and that was it.

No interest this time at Swiss passport control.

YMMV.
latest report
This will all go the same way as "checking in at pubs and restaurants" has - i.e. the way of the dodo.

Looks like PLFs only in a couple of weeks for France as well, so any confusion should be removed.
ski holidays
rickyp2 wrote:
Roscoe wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

True, but who knows what would have happened if we’d said ‘we don’t have one’ when we were asked for our LFTs by Jet2? They could see our PLF said we were transiting through Switzerland and I may have told them we were going to France. Perhaps they would have looked more closely at the rules and agreed we were ok, perhaps they would have said they wouldn’t take us on principle. Either way, it’s not a conversation I would have wanted to have at the airport with my whole holiday depending on it.

Of course, which is why I said about contacting the Airline a few days prior to travel for confirmation.

I know Easyjet do not request it as it is not a requirement to fly to Switzerland. So therefore I have no need to do a pre flight LFT.
ski holidays
Announcement that French are going to drop LFT requirement is obviously welcome but its now a question of timing. We are leaving on 16/2 and Swiss PLF will have to state that we are transiting through GVA on way to France. So if the announcement has not been made (or has been made but only becomes effective in the future) we could get caught. Assume this will be mostly enforced by airlines (in our case Easyjet) at UK airports?

Is it worth the risk/stress to take a chance?
latest report
1556garyt wrote:
Announcement that French are going to drop LFT requirement is obviously welcome but its now a question of timing. We are leaving on 16/2 and Swiss PLF will have to state that we are transiting through GVA on way to France. So if the announcement has not been made (or has been made but only becomes effective in the future) we could get caught. Assume this will be mostly enforced by airlines (in our case Easyjet) at UK airports?

Flown via GVA for last 2 weekends on BA and the Swiss PLF does not ask final destination - only need to tick “Transit” box. Furthermore BA only cares about meeting Swiss requirements as that is the destination of the flight - this is via tge VeriFly app which confirms CH requirements are met before allowing online checkin (there is no way of adding French docs in the app for GVA) . Never stopped at CH>FR road border as it’s frictionless.
latest report
1556garyt wrote:

There is no risk. Easyjet do not require a LFT to fly to Switzerland. There is then no hard boarder to have to cross into France for them to check, and if there were, they have no idea of when you flew into Switzerland to check a 24 hour LFT is even valid.
ski holidays
Roscoe wrote:
1556garyt wrote:

There is no risk. Easyjet do not require a LFT to fly to Switzerland. There is then no hard boarder to have to cross into France for them to check, and if there were, they have no idea of when you flew into Switzerland to check a 24 hour LFT is even valid.

Unless your hire car is from French side.
snow conditions
Jonny996 wrote:
Roscoe wrote:
1556garyt wrote:

I thought the French side was currently closed?
snow report
Roscoe wrote:
Jonny996 wrote:
Roscoe wrote:
1556garyt wrote:

I thought the French side was currently closed?

I hope not, I'm picking up my hire car from there Saturday
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy