Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Self administered LFT for Italy

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

So on what basis are you pretty sure?

We filled out our PLF forms last night for an Italian trip this weekend. It is crystal clear when filling out the form that, at present, you need to be fully vaxed and also have a 48hr PCR or 24hr LFT.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This is very clear. We were never part of schengen and are now not part of the EU. The changes announced by the Italian Government are crystal clear that they apply only to EU citizens. There seems some wishful thinking regulations for Europeans apply to Brits, they do not. That is what the Brexit choice means.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just about to order LFTs - can anyone confirm for drivers, going home from Italy at the end of a week, do we need new 24hr LFTs to get into France and onto home (same day)?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DTB wrote:
I don’t think you need it anymore.

https://reopen.europa.eu/en/from-to/LUX/ITA/AUT,DEU

It is absolutely clear that this applies to EU citizens only. Did you read it?
Under Italy it states:
"What are the rules to enter this country from an EU Member State or Schengen Associated country?"
Or do you think UK still qualifies as either?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MHskier wrote:
Just about to order LFTs - can anyone confirm for drivers, going home from Italy at the end of a week, do we need new 24hr LFTs to get into France and onto home (same day)?

+1. I suddenly had this thought yesterday.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
zikomo wrote:
DTB wrote:

Under Italy it states:
"What are the rules to enter this country from an EU Member State or Schengen Associated country?"

I have a confession to make Sad , I am writing this from Dublin.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
WD40 wrote:
zikomo wrote:
DTB wrote:

Under Italy it states:

I have a confession to make Sad , I am writing this from Dublin.

Lucky sod! Another Brexit dividend for the rest of us.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
zikomo wrote:
This is very clear. We were never part of schengen and are now not part of the EU. The changes announced by the Italian Government are crystal clear that they apply only to EU citizens. There seems some wishful thinking regulations for Europeans apply to Brits, they do not. That is what the Brexit choice means.

All true, but as all UK vaccinations are approved by the EU and our Covid passes are compatible & readable by the EU systems, you can't helping thinking this has been done this way to highlight the most excellent benefits of membership of the club, esp after the shenanigans at the start of the vaccination campaign when the UK got a headstart as the EU dithered and VdL got egg on her face after she had to back down from blocking AZ vaccine shipments to the UK and Macron called AZ 'quasi-ineffective'.

But yes, it's their club and we now don't belong, even though we are still paying them hefty subs, they can set the rules as they like. They can recommend upholding unnecessary barriers that harm tourism in their members states to prove their political point, I guess! Puzzled

Where is the extra risk of admitting a triple vaxxed Brit as compared to a triple vaxxed Dane? Whose money is more needed in a small resort in Italy which has seen 2 years of financial ruin? The politicians in Rome & Brussels don't have to worry, the are on the jobs for the boys EU gravy train. Puzzled

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 2-02-22 13:10; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@luigi, UK chose to leave the EU. One of the founding principles of the EU is freedom of movement of people, so it is not surprising that the EU takes steps to facilitate that. The recent guidance from the EU Council (which member states are not required to implement) is of course only applicable to EU citizens, not least as immigration rules for nations outside the EU is determined by individual member states. So this is an EU policy, applicable to EU citizens, issued by the EU Council. I don't at all get your point about it somehow being some sort of political point.

The vaccine thing was a mess at the start for the EU that is true. But it is an actual fact that the UK could have done exactly the same things regardless of whether we were in the EU or not. Brexiteers delight in ignoring this fact and seem to think it is some sort of Brexit dividend that the UK was able to secure vaccine supplies so quickly. It is not, we had the same right to do so before we left the EU.

I really think people should stop complaining when the EU makes policy decisions that do not include any benefits for UK citizens. The UK chose to leave, so deal with it.

There is no extra risk between a triple vaxxed Brit and a Dane. But the EU council can only make this sort of policy for EU members. If you are unhappy that some countries continue to have additional restrictions for non-EU citizens then you are welcome to vote with your feet and go elsewhere (Switzerland for example). But don't blame it on the EU.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
zikomo wrote:
@luigi, UK chose to leave the EU. One of the founding principles of the EU is freedom of movement of people, so it is not surprising that the EU takes steps to facilitate that. The recent guidance from the EU Council (which member states are not required to implement) is of course only applicable to EU citizens, not least as immigration rules for nations outside the EU is determined by individual member states. So this is an EU policy, applicable to EU citizens, issued by the EU Council. I don't at all get your point about it somehow being some sort of political point.

The vaccine thing was a mess at the start for the EU that is true. But it is an actual fact that the UK could have done exactly the same things regardless of whether we were in the EU or not. Brexiteers delight in ignoring this fact and seem to think it is some sort of Brexit dividend that the UK was able to secure vaccine supplies so quickly. It is not, we had the same right to do so before we left the EU.

I really think people should stop complaining when the EU makes policy decisions that do not include any benefits for UK citizens. The UK chose to leave, so deal with it.

There is no extra risk between a triple vaxxed Brit and a Dane. But the EU council can only make this sort of policy for EU members. If you are unhappy that some countries continue to have additional restrictions for non-EU citizens then you are welcome to vote with your feet and go elsewhere (Switzerland for example). But don't blame it on the EU.

I see your point, I'm not a Brexiteer, just cynical of all politicians and their tactics of dressing up their political point-scoring as reasonable policy. The EU needs to make benefits stand out in order to perpetuate itself.

But you kinda proved my point by saying that Switzerland, free of EU influence, is making sensible rational decisions for its people and ski industry based on risk. The politicians in the EU nations are reluctant to step out of line as they are eyeing the rewards of joining the EU gravy train after failing in their own national political sphere.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@zikomo, @luigi, I agree with both of you! Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Hurtle, I think we both agree with both of us! Anyway thread drift so back on topic…
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So given the current rates, can we conclude that it's a political decision rather than one 'following the science' which list and which entry requirements apply?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Uncle Rico, It always was a political decision, politicians weighing risks and benefits. I don't see how that has changed.

I do think that the direction of travel (so to speak!) will be less testing and more focus on vaccinations. It is a question of when not if that testing requirements start to fall away.

I repeat, all that has happened iS the EU Council issued guidance, not a requirement, that member states reduce the testing requirements to cross borders within the EU. It is a requirement under EU law, indeed a founding principle, that member states facilitate the free movement of people within the EU. This guidance reflects that fact, and that as soon as possible member states should remove barriers to that freedom of movement WITHIN THE EU.

The UK is like any other nation which is not a member of the EU, we do not have any special status. Rules for entry have always been different for non-EU citizens and it is beyond me why anyone would be surprised that they continue to be so. If you don't like the choices that individual countries are making regarding entry to their country, then do not patronise that country. But do not blame the EU - it is only doing what it is required to do under EU law, namely facilitate freedom of movement of people within the EU.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MHskier wrote:

I have assumed techinically as having come from UK within 14 days a YES, but I suspect practically NO

- we're driving at half term 2 adults + 12yo & 7yo

so I've assumed technically ...

UK->FRANCE LFT for 12+ (3 tests)

FRANCE->ITALY LFT for 6+ (4 Tests)

ITALY->FRANCE LFT for 12+ (3 tests)

FRANCE->UK no testing required

... whether they will check at the Mont Blanc tunnel in either direction is, in my opinion, somewhat doubtful ... but with a UK registered car maybe slightly more likely ...?
snow report
@zikomo, It always was a political decision, politicians weighing risks and benefits. I don't see how that has changed.

I do think that the direction of travel (so to speak!) will be less testing and more focus on vaccinations. It is a question of when not if that testing requirements start to fall away.

I repeat, all that has happened iS the EU Council issued guidance, not a requirement, that member states reduce the testing requirements to cross borders within the EU. It is a requirement under EU law, indeed a founding principle, that member states facilitate the free movement of people within the EU. This guidance reflects that fact, and that as soon as possible member states should remove barriers to that freedom of movement WITHIN THE EU.

The UK is like any other nation which is not a member of the EU, we do not have any special status. Rules for entry have always been different for non-EU citizens and it is beyond me why anyone would be surprised that they continue to be so. If you don't like the choices that individual countries are making regarding entry to their country, then do not patronise that country. But do not blame the EU - it is only doing what it is required to do under EU law, namely facilitate freedom of movement of people within the EU

Thanks for your 'advice' here's some for you, Calm Down Dear or if you prefer Wind Your Neck In THERE'S NO NEED TO SHOUT!!

My question was open, yet you seemed to suggest that it was posed on the basis that I hadn't realised that we'd left the EU or somehow that we deserve "special status" or that I had a particular stance.

As to why it's beyond you why anyone would be surprised that Rules for Entry have always been different for EU and Non EU visitors, well this clearly didn't apply to Austria at Christmas time, so isn't really correct and is somewhat contradictory, as the UK was on the same constraints as Denmark Norway and the Netherlands based on case rates, not on membership of a club.

I'm not "blaming" anyone and I agree that Italy and the EU can make up their own rules of entry whilst being disappointed that given the comparative case rates, decisions are made on politics rather than science, it's not binary

It certainly isn't a deal breaker for me, or my group either. We are vaccinated and will take the necessary tests and complete the regulatory locator forms which will hopefully see us enjoying our holiday with old friends from across the continent.
ski holidays
@WD40,

I also have a confession to make, by the time i got to the bit about

“ Entering this country without the EU Digital COVID certificate or with a certificate not compliant with national requirements”, i overlooked that it was still just for eu, Shengen
snow conditions
@Uncle Rico, Thanks for your advice. Not at all passive aggressive.

Entry restrictions have always been a political choice, they are not set by scientists they are set by politicians. Not least as there is are no absolutes when it comes to the science. Governments, including our own, have taken scientific advice and then made a judgement. Often not exactly following that scientific advice. Nothing has changed.

The only things I object to is blaming the EU for doing exactly what it is supposed to do, i.e. further the aims and principles of the bloc. And objecting to the entry criteria that various countries choose to implement. We are not part of the EU, it is not relevant for us what decisions are made by the EU, and a big part of moving on from Brexit is to accept that fact. In short, it is what it is and there is no point complaining about the choices either the EU or it's member states make. Frankly that is what this nation voted for.
snow conditions
@zikomo, We seem to be in danger of derailing this thread, so I'll leave there with you as you seem to want to ascribe a certain point of view to me when we've obviously never met and have specifically stated that I don't blame the EU or Italy and will take the test to revisit Italy.
ski holidays
So bringing the post back to the question what’s the best lateral flow pre departure test for entering Italy I have been recommended living care but not heard of them any suggestions appreciated
snow conditions
@Uncle Rico, Agree on drift thread, these aspects are better discussed elsewhere. I do think it is a good idea to try and avoid getting personal, and to not tell others how they should behave (for example "wind your neck in", "no need to shout"). I have been factual in my responses to what you have actually written and have not ascribed any particular point of view to you. Sorry if you feel that I have, it was certainly not my intent. Happy to leave it at that and get back on topic.
snow report
If I was to summarise the conclusions from this thread and the other one here https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=158524 then it would probably be that the top three suggestions for lateral flow tests are:

- Chronomics
- Excalibur (no longer offering travel tests since the start of this week)
- Randox

There are some others but personally I would go with Chronomics or Randox as the tests for Italy have to be done with 24 hours of arrival so it's very time sensitive and not worth taking a chance on a less well known supplier.
snow conditions
@carla4221, I did a dummy run with Randox the other day and posted what happened. In essence it worked ok, near instant results. But the app is a bit quirky and the promised email was not sent. But we could download the certificate, it has a QR code, and able to save to phone/print. Not used the certificate in anger yet as we don't travel until next week but looks to fulfil the requirements from what I can tell. I used click abd collect which was very convenient (the shop I collected from had a huge box of tests to dispense from).

That said, I would oder and get your tests sooner rather than later. Some (Chronomics) are exiting the market and I think there will be a hell of a rush over half-term.
ski holidays
Quote:

So bringing the post back to the question what’s the best lateral flow pre departure test for entering Italy I have been recommended living care but not heard of them any suggestions appreciated

I've ordered from c19testing which we used twice last year for travel to EU, although not for Italy. The process was simple and the certs came back within 2 hours. The "within 24hr" window adds some stress as previously the Window was 48hr, as does the capacity of the testing firms to cope with the added load of 1/2 term, but hopefully it'll be fine. Short of paying through the nose for in-person pre-departyre tests at the airport, there's nothing else you can do.

We land c.Midday in Italy on Sat 12th so allowing a couple of hours or so contingency for delays etc we should ideally do the tests c.1pm UK time on the Friday - I'm seriously considering cycling into the kids' schools at lunchtime on the Friday to get them to do the tests in the optimal time window! (perhaps I'm over-thinking this...)
latest report
Thanks will have a look now we are going hopefully half term so best get them ordered
snow report
Damn - was planning on using Excalibur as good price compared to others.
Chronomics say they only post it 4 days before travel date - seems to be a good way to break their logistics in the run up to the holiday !
snow conditions
C19, living care and Randox most reliable with very fast turnaround.
snow report
So the click and collect option for Randox is closest in price...(I need 12 if we have to do 4 to drive back into France from italy at the end of the hols!) and my instinct is to order now ahead of rush...but their refund is only 14 days....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks will have a look now we are going hopefully half term so best get them ordered
ski holidays
C19 here, will be doing mine around midday tomorrow. Will let you know the results turnaround time...
snow report
zikomo wrote:
@carla4221, I did a dummy run with Randox the other day and posted what happened. In essence it worked ok, near instant results. But the app is a bit quirky and the promised email was not sent. But we could download the certificate, it has a QR code, and able to save to phone/print. Not used the certificate in anger yet as we don't travel until next week but looks to fulfil the requirements from what I can tell. I used click abd collect which was very convenient (the shop I collected from had a huge box of tests to dispense from).

That said, I would oder and get your tests sooner rather than later. Some (Chronomics) are exiting the market and I think there will be a hell of a rush over half-term.

Zikimo, are you confusing Chronomics with Excalibur? I don't think I've seen anything about Chronomics leaving the market.
ski holidays
@olderscot, Yes I am, sorry! I meant Excalibur, not Chronomics, is exiting the market. I suspect that others will follow though, as the demand lessens so will the cost-effectiveness for providers who have to maintain apps/customer service/other overheads.

I liked the click and collect option from Randox. And did not like the fact that Chronomics say they will only post 4 days before departure, it is added stress particularly as there have been issues with delayed post recently.
snow report
I had some Chronomics arrive yesterday for my flight on Saturday. The delivery was via DPD so avoided any delays in the post.
ski holidays
zikomo wrote:
@olderscot, And did not like the fact that Chronomics say they will only post 4 days before departure, it is added stress particularly as there have been issues with delayed post recently.

Not realising it was a courier delivery & feeling twitchy about delivery, I just went back in to my Chronomics account once I’d done my order & edited it to bring my flight forward by a week. Worked a treat. In fact all of us in our group did the same with no issues.
snow report
zikomo wrote:
Just did a dummy run with Randox as my daughter will have to do one on her own when away with the school. App was ok to use and we uploaded a picture of the test in the app no problem.

Result came back in a few minutes
BUT - no email of the certificate.
And my daughters app shows "1 pending" in certificates on the app.
She did manage to download a pdf to her phone when when got the result.

The problem I have is she will have no chance to print anything before her flight. Is a copy of the pdf on a phone accepted? Is it better showing the certificate from within the app? Or will she need a paper copy? Anyone have any experience of this? She is flying to Italy (Milan) on Ryanair on Mon 14th Feb.

No problem at all with the digital version of the Covid cert on our trip to Italy last week, albeit BA.

It was the one thing that was scrutinised on departure from the UK but no checks at the Italy end (we entered Italy on EU passports, on this occasion, not aware of any other checks on UK passports holders except for the border guard stamping UK passports)
ski holidays
Quote:

Not realising it was a courier delivery & feeling twitchy about delivery, I just went back in to my Chronomics account once I’d done my order & edited it to bring my flight forward by a week. Worked a treat. In fact all of us in our group did the same with no issues.

I did the same except Chronomics didn't get them out any earlier and I wasn't prepared to risk them not turning up. So I ordered another set from Qured that arrived next day. I'm getting a refund from Chronomics.
I won't use them again - crazy idea not to just send them out when they are ordered.
ski holidays
OTS wrote:
Chronomics - crazy idea not to just send them out when they are ordered.

I suppose they want to stop you doing the test as soon as it arrives, then photographing the negative result days later in the test window.
But it's all nonsense anyway as you can just squirt the buffer solution in and it will go negative.
snow report
Quote:

I suppose they want to stop you doing the test as soon as it arrives, then photographing the negative result days later in the test window.

I hadn't thought of that. As you say though if you don't actually swab anywhere you are guaranteed a negative test.
snow report
Does anyone know if we need another fit2flight test before coming back to the UK from Italy (E.g. Turin in my case) in March 2022? From the guidance given by Crystal, my understanding is that we don’t need. But I thought it’s worth double triple checking in case if I missed anything.
snow report
@Heather2021, Return LFT (to the UK) stopped being needed on the 11th of Feb
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy