Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Germany imposes new quarantine requirements on UK travellers

Poster: A snowHead
@basedBean, thats how I am reading and interpretating all this but I want to be sure before I fully commit. Hopefully I will receive a response from the powers that be Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For those that think there is a legal way round this

https://uk.diplo.de/uk-en/02/coronavirus?openAccordionId=item-2453922-2-panel

Quote:
3. In what cases is transit through Germany permitted?

Travellers from the United Kingdom should in principle travel directly to their destination country.

However, you are allowed to transfer onto a connecting flight in Germany.

Transit by car through Germany is not permitted.

Attention: A negative PCR test is also required transiting through Germany by plane. The test must have been taken no more than 48 hours before the scheduled departure.

I dont think that can be any clearer, transit by connecting flight yes, transit by car no. If you choose to ignore the rules then you can get yourself in a lot of grief. Try arguing with a German police officer that you know the rules better than they do!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@munich_irish, I definitely want to go legally as at the end of the day its meant to be a holiday so travelling Thelma and Louise style across Germany wouldn't be the best start Very Happy Thankyou for your input by the way Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Blighty1066, you might be lucky and the current restriction gets lifted by the time you want to travel. It doesnt make sense to define the UK as a "VoC" but not other places such as Denmark (highest rate / 100,000) or France (180,000 new cases today).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@munich_irish, keeping everything crossed Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Assume Germany is open for onward travel / linked flights elsewhere (ie Salzburg Austria) ?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Belch, you can see the answer on the post above, quote is from the German Embassy in the UK
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@munich_irish, TA
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
munich_irish wrote:
@Blighty1066, you might be lucky and the current restriction gets lifted by the time you want to travel. It doesnt make sense to define the UK as a "VoC" but not other places such as Denmark (highest rate / 100,000) or France (180,000 new cases today).

Sorry you only use data that supports you view, but that is to simple. Puzzled

There is a lot of other data you have to consider - number of test and positive percentage pr. test.

lots of test = many cases - no test = no cases, just to put it to the extreme.

Beside that there is the political situation.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/27/government-imposes-new-restrictions-to-fight-omicron-as-first-cases-found-in-uk
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hyst, not really, the Austrian's came to the same conclusion. There are various arguments one way or the other but I cant see how Germany is happy to allow in the Danes, Dutch & Norwegian's (you could argue the French too) but not the Brits. I agree about different types of data, the raw case numbers are becoming increasingly irrelevant. I think the German's were spooked by the Mayor of London declaring a "disaster", that got a lot of coverage in the German media but little in the UK, which led to a parade of various German politicians calling for a ban.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
munich_irish wrote:
@Hyst, not really, the Austrian's came to the same conclusion. There are various arguments one way or the other but I cant see how Germany is happy to allow in the Danes, Dutch & Norwegian's (you could argue the French too) but not the Brits. I agree about different types of data, the raw case numbers are becoming increasingly irrelevant. I think the German's were spooked by the Mayor of London declaring a "disaster", that got a lot of coverage in the German media but little in the UK, which led to a parade of various German politicians calling for a ban.

As I said there is politics. Germany probably has a higher number as they do not test - and have a very high positive percentage of tests.

But as I said there is politics and some of us like free movements - that is the difference.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
From
https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Transport/Archiv_Risikogebiete/EN-Tab.html

1. The following states/regions are currently considered to be areas of variants of concern and are effective until through 3 January 2022 (subsequently, as of Tuesday, January 4, 2022 at 0:00 a.m., these states will be considered as high-risk areas; this is subject to change at short notice):
• Botswana (area of variants of concern since 28 November 2021)
• Eswatini (area of variants of concern since 28 November 2021)
• Lesotho (area of variants of concern since 28 November 2021)
• Malawi (area of variants of concern since 28 November 2021)
• Mozambique (area of variants of concern since 28 November 2021)
• Namibia (area of variants of concern since 28 November 2021)
• South Africa (area of variants of concern since 28 November 2021)
• United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland incl. all British Overseas
Territories, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands (area of variants of concern since 20
December 2021; high-risk area until 19 December 2021)
• Zimbabwe (area of variants of concern since 28 November 2021)
2. The following states are currently considered to be high-risk areas:
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm assuming this means we can transit through by car then?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Blighty1066, no
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If we are downgraded to high risk then from my understanding we can transit through? Just seen the independent are reporting that flights can resume etc
snow report
“subsequently, as of Tuesday, January 4, 2022 at 0:00 a.m., these states will be considered as high-risk areas; this is subject to change at short notice“

I’ve flown to Munich twice this year for holidays. The UK was classed by Germany as a “high risk area” at the time of both flights.
ski holidays
Which is worse -- 'High risk' area or 'areas of variants of concern' ??
snow conditions
@albob, variant of concern generally carries tighter restrictions than high risk.
snow conditions
@Scarlet, @Oceanic, Thanks both - I thought it was the other way around (happy to be wrong !)
latest report
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/germany-uk-travel-ban-omicron-b1984389.html

Germany ends UK travel ban.
snow report
@NickYoung, great news. Let’s hope the French are watching!
snow report
@andy from embsay, M.Macron on behalf of France takes the rotating EU Presidency from Saturday Jan 1st, who knows what the little chap will try and achieve.
snow report
@boredsurfin, has your copy and paste got stuck?
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, sorry I'll creep back to the La Plagne thread. I promise not to post elsewhere again wink
snow report
NickYoung wrote:
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/germany-uk-travel-ban-omicron-b1984389.html

Has this been confirmed by the German government at all? Fingers crossed as still hoping to ski!
snow report
kitenski wrote:
NickYoung wrote:

Has this been confirmed by the German government at all? Fingers crossed as still hoping to ski!

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Transport/Archiv_Risikogebiete/Risikogebiete_aktuell_en.pdf?__blob=publicationFile

Please note: The list on the classification of risk areas is effective as of Saturday, 1 January
2022 at 0:00 a.m.. The classifications of the current list of areas of variants of concern are
valid through 3 January 2022 (as of Tuesday, January 4, 2022 at 0:00 a.m., countries
currently classified as areas of variant of concern will be classified as high-risk areas
; this
is subject to change at short notice).

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 30-12-21 16:43; edited 2 times in total
snow report
kitenski wrote:
NickYoung wrote:

See my link to the Robert Koch Institut further up this thread.
snow report
I wonder if Austria will increase checks at the German border? - To deter people attempting to use Germany as a ‘back door’ route in to Austria. My guess is that they won’t increase checks, but in any case I wouldn’t enter Austria without a valid PCR.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Oceanic, I doubt they will increase checks to check for a few Brits when hundreds of Dutch are likely doing it everyday right now. I was teaching one on Tuesday who had arrived the day before and didn't even know she should have had a test.
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
@boredsurfin, has your copy and paste got stuck?

Laughing Laughing
latest report
Chris_n wrote:
@Oceanic, I doubt they will increase checks to check for a few Brits when hundreds of Dutch are likely doing it everyday right now. I was teaching one on Tuesday who had arrived the day before and didn't even know she should have had a test.

More like thousands Laughing ….judging by how many I saw/heard today!!
snow report
@Chris_n,
That (almost) confirms my suspicion that it is entry into the Schengen zone (e.g. arrive in France by ferry or tunnel and you are checked) or arriving at a Schengen zone airport from anywhere (even if from another part of the zone) that triggers monitoring of Covid staus. Arriving anywhere in Schengen by road (or train?) from anywhere else in Schengen seems to not provoke a check.

Edit: After last winter I am amazed that people consider travelling to Austria without tests/vaccination.
snow conditions
@Nemisis, don’t rely on that. Italy has additional test requirements and there are apparently checks on the train or in the stations prior to boarding. Germany also regularly checked cross-border trains pre-pandemic, so I expect they’re still doing that.
latest report
@Nemisis, your biggest problem would be if you had any interaction with the authorities they will check everything, speeding, minor traffic offence, accident on slopes, random check in hotel / bar, positive test before departure etc.
snow report
Just to clarify, I'm in the UK and, yes I drove to Italy twice (via F, B, Lux, DE, AUT) during the summer, but I was 100% within the regulations. I haven't the slightest intention of pushing my luck!!
ski holidays
@Nemisis, I didn't think you were, your edit was there before I replied. Just clarification for anyone who may read.
snow report
@Nemisis, there might not be checks at borders but there are checks elsewhere. For example ticket inspectors are checking vaccine certificates along with tickets. Most things you do involve checking your vaccine status along with photo id. Unvaccinated people are pretty much stuck at home and this is enforced in many countries. The PCR test thing is probably not being enforced much outside of airports (though would assume flights from Holland will be checked too) but some hotels will check.
snow report
munich_irish wrote:
@Nemisis, there might not be checks at borders but there are checks elsewhere. For example ticket inspectors are checking vaccine certificates along with tickets. Most things you do involve checking your vaccine status along with photo id. Unvaccinated people are pretty much stuck at home and this is enforced in many countries. The PCR test thing is probably not being enforced much outside of airports (though would assume flights from Holland will be checked too) but some hotels will check.

Just like old times. When my mate’s uncle worked in German administered France in the early 40s he was also worrying about having to show his papers. He arrived by parachute, so no queues or bureaucracy though.
snow report
Looking at going to Austria via harwich - hook of holland route next Thursday providing we are still welcome in Austria! Its a bit of a struggle getting pcr tests done with the time limit but decided on a randox rapid pcr at Stansted with a 3 hr turn around before catching the night ferry so should be within the 48 hrs limit to get to Austria. Planning on coming back through the tunnel ( assuming that's allowed!?). Never left it so last minute in my life but starting to believe we may just get to go and that makes the stress worthwhile Very Happy
ski holidays
@Blighty1066, if getting PCR test done prior to leaving the UK (perhaps you need them for Holland?) doesnt work an alternative might be Munich airport. It is pretty much on the route (about 10 to 15 mins from the north south autobahn north of Munich) and has a number of testing facilities. There are very fast turn around PCR tests (naturally not cheap) and free LFT tests. In all probability no one will even look at the tests but taking a risk isnt very sensible, especially in a UK registered vehicle.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy