Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Germany imposes new quarantine requirements on UK travellers

Poster: A snowHead
From Monday, travellers from the U.K. have to quarantine 14 days.
https://www.welt.de/politik/ausland/article235745618/Virusvariantengebiet-Bundesregierung-schraenkt-Einreise-aus-Grossbritannien-ein.html

From the German Embassy in London:
https://twitter.com/GermanEmbassy/status/1472318498189815813

- ban on carriage, exceptions e.g. German nationals/residents & transit
- Test pre-departure
- 14-day quarantine, incl vaccinated & recovered
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So that's my Frankfurt to Salzburg transfer end of Jan f**ked then . . .

Triple jabbed = conned
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Belch wrote:
So that's my Frankfurt to Salzburg transfer end of Jan f**ked then . . .

Triple jabbed = conned

So you wouldn't have gotten jabbed had it not for the holidaying requirement?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Belch, End of January is weeks away in this fast changing scenario -- hang in there !!

from Rob's link

"..According to the RKI, it is expected to apply until January 3, 2022. An extension is possible, it said.."
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Probably not . . .oh sorry am I allowed to say that on here? Wife and kids have all had Covid - wife was hospitalized . . .am I still allowed to have an opinion?

We were ALL given the impression that the jab was a magic bullet - quelle surprise, it is not . . . .
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Belch wrote:
We were ALL given the impression that the jab was a magic bullet - quelle surprise, it is not . . . .
We really weren’t. At no point has anyone said vaccines provide 100% protection.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I never said that . . I said we were given the impression it would be the magic bullet . . .
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Belch, you might have taken that impression but it really wasn't given as such
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Belch wrote:
I never said that . . I said we were given the impression it would be the magic bullet . . .
Id have thought that most people would assume a magic bullet to be 100% effective. Regardless, nobody has said that the vaccines are magic bullet solutions.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This 'vaccine' in particular it would seem . . .
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Belch wrote:
This 'vaccine' in particular it would seem . . .
Lower vaccine effectiveness than some vaccines, higher vaccine effectiveness than other vaccines. It is likely that all the currently approved vaccines offer high protection against serious illness and death, especially if three doses are administered, but none will offer total protection.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yawn . . .get all that. Still hasn't prevented global insanity . . .
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Belch wrote:
Yawn . . .get all that. Still hasn't prevented global insanity . . .
I don’t think the vaccines were designed to prevent insanity.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Are you sure . . ? Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Belch wrote:
Are you sure . . ? Laughing
Yup.
ski holidays
Feels we are living in a fairly crazy world to me at the moment . . .or maybe that's just the impression I get . . .
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
Belch wrote:
Id have thought that most people would assume a magic bullet to be 100% effective. Regardless, nobody has said that vaccines are magic bullet solutions.

At the risk of asking a question that's not doubt been muted many times before, if a vaccine isn't the way out of a pandemic, what is? Lockdown quarantine etc serve little long term purpose, whereas a vaccine does have an intended purpose in that it should reduce the number of people needing hospital-level treatment. Personally, I think vaccines coupled with increased capacity are the way out of a pandemic/epidemic. Currently in the UK we're worried about a potential risk of large healthcare demand, not a current issue in healthcare capacity for which vaccines are the mitigation of the risk. To some extent, it is a silver bullet for the healthcare system which is fundamentally what the whole restriction situation is about. What we don't get exposed to is what is the current Hospital Capacity, what % of that is Covid, what is the headroom and what do we expect to be the projected growth rate of hospitalisations based on our current vaccination rates.

Case numbers are pointless to the general public and I think these charts from the beeb tell a pretty good story, deaths on average for the UK per day 1,665 Covid representing 7% (deaths within 28 days of a test). Large numbers of people with it, a small number of people in hospital with it (comparatively to peak when NHS wasn't overwhelmed), low number of deaths in a stat which could mean anything.

snow report
Belch wrote:
Feels we are living in a fairly crazy world to me at the moment . . .or maybe that's just the impression I get . . .
That might well be true, but that’s not the fault of the vaccines. I suspect it would be a whole lot crazier without them.
snow report
@Belch,

In the entire history of medicines have you ever known one to be 100% effective?
snow conditions
An absolute hammer blow. So that's our three-times-rescheduled trip to Austria on 27th Dec off, as we were flying to Munich Sad

That's it. This news is the final straw for me. It's where I reach the point of "**** it!! After two years of non-ski misery, 3 jabs (and an innocuous dose of covid...) I'll take my chance with travel, pubs, shops, crowds, football matches etc etc...I really can't take any more of this 5h 1t€."

Oh! And I'd just booked our day 2 return tests tonight at a cost of £69 a pop.
ski holidays
Maybe it would, but it certainly doesn't feel this way unless you are in a parallel universe.

We were all 'encouraged' and continue to be 'encouraged' to take the magic potion - tell me exactly (given our own imminent lockdown, that by the way was already spookily predicted this time last year) how anything is exactly any less crazy, post arguably the fastest mass vaccination in history . . ?
ski holidays
Belch wrote:
Maybe it would, but it certainly doesn't feel this way unless you are in a parallel universe.

We were all 'encouraged' and continue to be 'encouraged' to take the magic potion - tell me exactly (given our own imminent lockdown, that by the way was already spookily predicted this time last year) how anything is exactly any less crazy, post arguably the fastest mass vaccination in history . . ?
No, I’m think I’m very firmly in the real world. As angry as you are at having plans destroyed, but I think looking at things a little more rationally than you are. But if it helps you to rant, rant away…
ski holidays
Are you an emotional vacuum? Either that or you must be very dull . . .please refresh us all with your positive outlook and explain how this particular farce ends . . ?
snow report
Belch wrote:
Probably not . . .oh sorry am I allowed to say that on here? Wife and kids have all had Covid - wife was hospitalized . . .am I still allowed to have an opinion?

Are you saying your wife was hospitalised after being vaccinated.
If that is the case the 'magic bullet' is that she is still alive.
snow report
Probably best not to make this a thread on benefits/risk of covid. Transit passengers including by car still allowed according to some websites (eg uk.diplo.de). So confirmation/denial of that of more interest frankly.
ski holidays
*covid vaccination
ski holidays
@Doccam, Fair point . . .lol
ski holidays
So bmi.bund.de says-

Transit to another EU member state or Schengen state
Citizens of countries outside of the EU may enter Germany to travel to another EU member state or another Schengen state as their country of final destination if the following conditions are met:

the traveller remains in Germany (as country of transit) only as long as absolutely necessary to travel directly to the country of destination or another transit country;
the traveller is permitted to enter the country of destination or another transit country (in accordance with Annex I or II of the Council Recommendation of 30 June 2020 or with individual confirmation of permission to enter issued by the country of destination).
Under these conditions, citizens of countries outside of the EU may also enter Germany by air and travel overland to their country of destination.

The traveller must provide evidence that the conditions listed above have been met. Airline or other travel tickets, etc. may be presented to meet condition (1). A printout of the current national regulations in place in the country of destination implementing Annex I of the Council Recommendation may be presented to meet condition (2). It must be clear from the text that residents of certain countries are not required to provide proof of the reason for travel to the country of destination. If this is not possible, then evidence must be provided of the urgent need for entry in accordance with Annex II of the Council Recommendation. Germany’s border control officials will only check for compliance with the requirements for entering Germany. Alternatively, the traveller may present a document issued by the responsible authorities of the country of destination certifying that entry restrictions have been waived or that approval of entry has been granted.

Seems to suggest transit allowed. I think Confused
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Belch wrote:
Are you an emotional vacuum?

Quite the contrary.

Seems you don't know. He was a volunteer in that "magic bullet" development (trial). Any doubt about its magic is devastating his emotional well being. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@abc, please don’t insult me.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Belch wrote:
That might well be true, but that’s not the fault of the vaccines. I suspect it would be a whole lot crazier without them.

This ^^
ski holidays
I reckon that at this very moment the huge number of people who lost their loved ones, their health and/or their income and their general well being turning into misery all over the world are not alone in their grief. We can not go skiing for a short period of time. Together we stand.
Proportions, gentlemen, it's temporary.
Is transit by flight/car still allowed?
latest report
@drporat, nain problem is we all pursue an activity that has to take place in winter and that for many of us involves travel to other countries. I suspect I'm not alone in fearing that as viruses propogate best when people are mixing indoors that this might become a regular feature of winter. So we might be long term f##ked unless we migrate which for Brit citizens is also less easy thanks to the B word.
ski holidays
Doccam wrote:
So bmi.bund.de says-

Transit to another EU member state or Schengen state
Citizens of countries outside of the EU may enter Germany to travel to another EU member state or another Schengen state as their country of final destination if the following conditions are met:

the traveller remains in Germany (as country of transit) only as long as absolutely necessary to travel directly to the country of destination or another transit country;
the traveller is permitted to enter the country of destination or another transit country (in accordance with Annex I or II of the Council Recommendation of 30 June 2020 or with individual confirmation of permission to enter issued by the country of destination).
Under these conditions, citizens of countries outside of the EU may also enter Germany by air and travel overland to their country of destination.

The traveller must provide evidence that the conditions listed above have been met. Airline or other travel tickets, etc. may be presented to meet condition (1). A printout of the current national regulations in place in the country of destination implementing Annex I of the Council Recommendation may be presented to meet condition (2). It must be clear from the text that residents of certain countries are not required to provide proof of the reason for travel to the country of destination. If this is not possible, then evidence must be provided of the urgent need for entry in accordance with Annex II of the Council Recommendation. Germany’s border control officials will only check for compliance with the requirements for entering Germany. Alternatively, the traveller may present a document issued by the responsible authorities of the country of destination certifying that entry restrictions have been waived or that approval of entry has been granted.

Seems to suggest transit allowed. I think Confused

Hitherto it has been the case that if transiting restrictions don’t apply. So good news for the transfer to Salzburg (odd route mind). I am hoping to fly to Calgary via Frankfurt on 12 January so hope my post and understanding are correct!
snow report
codyaitch wrote:
Belch wrote:

Are you saying your wife was hospitalised after being vaccinated.
If that is the case the 'magic bullet' is that she is still alive.

Bold statement!
latest report
@mountainaddict, see posts about possible transit exemptions, since you're going to Austria...
snow conditions
Apologies for continuing the thread drift, but...

Levi215 wrote:
At the risk of asking a question that's not doubt been muted many times before, if a vaccine isn't the way out of a pandemic, what is?

I think they're part of the way, but clearly aren't the only way. People need to change their behaviour, accept we're not going back to how things were and adapt - and the big one here for me is mask wearing. Especially indoors.

Not a particularly popular opinion, but mine all the same.
ski holidays
jebroni3_16 wrote:
Apologies for continuing the thread drift, but...

Levi215 wrote:
At the risk of asking a question that's not doubt been muted many times before, if a vaccine isn't the way out of a pandemic, what is?

I think they're part of the way, but clearly aren't the only way. People need to change their behaviour, accept we're not going back to how things were and adapt - and the big one here for me is mask wearing. Especially indoors.

Not a particularly popular opinion, but mine all the same.

Mask-wearing indoors (shops, restaurants, public places etc), here (Austria), is an accepted (mostly) way of life now. IMO, a sensible measure, along with getting vaccinated/boosted.

Normally, Austria tends to follow Germany in relation to COVID, however, having just come out of lockdown, it’s unclear what Austria may do in light of recent travel restrictions elsewhere.
snow report
@Cacciatore, I don’t think it’ll be long….I predict Monday/ Tuesday Austria will ban U.K. tourists too.
snow conditions
@Markymark29, it’s hard to say. The infection rates are still declining following lockdown. Of course, that may well now change, but they’re starting from a lower point.

Anyway, as usual, all we can do is speculate. My personal option, for whatever it’s worth, is that we’ll get a new lockdown post Christmas/New Year.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy