Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
"Self-certified tests are not acceptable", would be much clearer than the oft used, "Self administered tests are not acceptable", methinks. The bought-in ones are 'interpreted and certified' by the fleecers!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ianvip, read this thread: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=157335
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Morzine has ramped things up re: testing

Quote:
In response to the ever-changing but always significant requirements for anti-gen testing amongst British travellers this winter, the Mairie de Morzine-Avoriaz has expanded its testing capacity with a mass testing centre at the Grande Pharmacie de Morzine, in the centre of the village. Tests will take place all day, every day during the winter season between 8.30am and 8pm.

1500 tests will be available daily, with the option to double this capacity in advance of big departure dates during the festive holidays.

Book your tests in advance via Doctolib using the link in our post below.

(Updates coming to our COVID-19 web article)

#LoveMorzine
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
MazDave wrote:
JamesHJ wrote:
userscott wrote:
All the above considered, one can make their 2 day before departure lateral flows in either direction display whichever result they require. Lemon juice for a positive, and just two drops of the fluid with no swab sample for a negative. The whole system is a sham. The only people forced to stay longer to isolate will be those desperately unwell, I expect.

There are a lot of people who will not do that for moral reasons, probably more than you expect. How could anyone do that in front of their children for example?

That said, if it works for you, then crack on.

I'd do it!

Here's my rationale for my circumstances:
Family of 4 (all Double jabbed with TAC installed and working) driving to S/C accommodation in France.
We will do LFT before we leave and assuming we're all clear use those to pass through French Border control.
Before we come back we need to do another LFT then get in the car and drive home. As soon as we're in UK we can do our "Day2" PCR and wait for negative result.

So lets assume the pre-departure LFT shows one or more positive in the family - what's the safest and most sensible course of action?
a) phone around and find a hotel or accommodation somewhere in France and keep testing every day until we have all clear LFTs or
b) get in the car and drive straight home where we can isolate until we have a negative test result knowing we have to do a PCR anyway?

So we'll take some NHS LFTs with us to make sure we are ok before we use the Randox ones to generate the certificate that UK border control will need to see.
If we look like we're not going to sail through those tests then I'm quite happy to "create" a negative result to allow us to come home.

I realise that my circumstances are not the same as everyones and if we were flying it would be a different story but I genuinely think falsifying a result to get home for us will be safer for all.

Of course! And thanks for your honesty.

I'd suspect, once put in the position, most people would do likewise. True story: One of our football club's coaches left quarantine today. After having been in isolation for five weeks! How? He picked it up, then the whole family got it - one by one. Awesome!
Imagine that in France! Could ruin quite a few people for one reason or another.

Therefore self-driving is the only sensible option, imho. And even that is risky, as the situation is moving so fast.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you test positive can you drive home though?! I thought you’d have to isolate in France. They wouldn’t let you through the tunnel with a positive test would they?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Macker13, you miss the point. Falsify the result, get into the tunnel, go home and isolate / depending on PCR result you are taking anyway.

Confess, I kind of agree with this - the risk to others is, frankly, reduced because you are in your bubble for everything. And be honest, what hotel in Northern France is going to want a positive case booking a room knowing they are positive already and isolating for 10 days.
We too are driving. We'll see how strong the moral compass is when / if we are faced with a similar situation.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Macker13 wrote:
If you test positive can you drive home though?! I thought you’d have to isolate in France. They wouldn’t let you through the tunnel with a positive test would they?

But then again, as long as you can use a self-administered-NHS-nonsense-LFT you don't test positive, if you don't want to.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ah I see.

How could you fake it. They watch you do the test and don’t allow the swab off screen. Obvious way is to dip a swab into the solution that’s not been up your nose but they would see you swap it as it has to stay on screen.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Macker13, very few of them are done live. Most just require you to photograph the test once done. Not the strongest control Shocked
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ok that makes sense. Now I need to find a company that just requires a photo. I’m self driving too so could just stay in the car until home.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have just purchased 4 LFT’s from Excalibur and they just require that you photograph the test result, which they then check and send you your certificate and QR code so no video required. They’re also on the more reasonable side cost-wise - £19.50 for LFT and £55 for the day 2 PCR
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@coxy84, I realise it’s too late for you, but if you go to Excalibur via the ba website, it’s only £15,50 per test.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Apropos faking tests, each to their own I suppose. But what do people plan to do if they are contacted by the French health authorities as a contact case and asked to test?

Actually, what would be the reaction of e.g. social/classic media in the UK if tourists faked tests or made a break for the tunnel to avoid quarantine?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JamesHJ, there would be absolute 'hell on' if the French were doing the same to escape the UK.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Travelling to La Plagne today via Eurotunnel.
Uploaded Vaccines, Attestation, C19 Lateral Flow test.
Only check was query at French passport control if we had a covid test. Said "yes". Didn't ask to see certificate.
Now on earlier train. Just leaving - we are on our way! Very Happy
ski holidays
Jonpim wrote:
Only check was query at French passport control if we had a covid test. Said "yes". Didn't ask to see certificate.
Excellent news, as that’s my exact plan for Friday.

Bon voyage. Hope the new snow doesn’t delay your arrival too much.
snow report
@JamesHJ, what is the likely hood of that? But hypothetically - I'd be limiting my contact with people, not going to restaurants etc, plus I'd turn bluetooth off on phone and not answer and unknown number!

As for reaction - didn't this happen about 2 years ago? Outside of some outrage here I don't recall it being mainstream. But again, how would you prove it? Travelling back Saturday, with negative test certificates, you're just travelling back. If you test positive in UK well it can take a couple of days to show.

Travel back early as someone tested +ve? You'd obviously destroy the evidence and travel back early and just say you'd all done tests but decided to be safe and go home just in case.

Not saying it's right but I think the risk of being caught is negligible.

I'm sure people travelling from UK back to parts of EU for Xmas have had exactly the same thought process.
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
@JamesHJ, there would be absolute 'hell on' if the French were doing the same to escape the UK.

If you told me that someone local had COVID, and they were planning to get in their car and drive a long long way away from me, and not see anyone on the way, I'd think that was a good thing. Nationality doesn't come into it, from a purely personal perspective, someone with COVID removing themselves from my proximity, and ideally from being a burden on my local healthcare system, is a good thing.

On the other hand, if you told me they were planning to board a plane/bus/travel through crowded hubs, I'd think they should be locked up.
snow report
Jonpim wrote:

Bon voyage +1
snow report
https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/coronavirus-advice-for-foreign-nationals-in-france/article/coming-to-france-your-covid-19-questions-answered

"All those between the ages of 18 and 65 must receive their booster before 15 January 2022 to ensure their COVID certificate remains valid after this date"

sorry if this has been discussed before but just spotted this. am i understanding correctly that young adults who have not had their booster yet cant have a valid PS after jan15th (they would need daily testing if they dont have a booster ? )
ski holidays
Thank you.
It has been quite stressful this last week with all the changes in regulations, concerns a Lateral Flow test might not be accepted, and would the regulations be changed again . . .
So rather wonderful to now be gliding down the A26 in bright sunshine with smiling MrsPim at the wheel.
Next stop Dijon IKEA . . .
snow report
@Jonpim, Very Happy Have a great trip.
ski holidays
@Jonpim, Have a great trip - so assume your test going out was done at home and just uploaded for certificate etc
latest report
Jonpim wrote:
Next stop Dijon IKEA . . .
Some people will travel a long way for meatballs and ligonberry sauce...
latest report
backhojo wrote:
https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/coronavirus-advice-for-foreign-nationals-in-france/article/coming-to-france-your-covid-19-questions-answered

"All those between the ages of 18 and 65 must receive their booster before 15 January 2022 to ensure their COVID certificate remains valid after this date"

sorry if this has been discussed before but just spotted this. am i understanding correctly that young adults who have not had their booster yet cant have a valid PS after jan15th (they would need daily testing if they dont have a booster ? )

Correct
latest report
@Boris, Yes. Photo of test and passport.
Fancy certificate returned an hour later.
Taking same with me for return trip.
latest report
We are now on the plane at Belfast waiting to take off for Lyon Very Happy We flew in from Newcastle last night on a 35 minute hop.

Easyjet accepted our LF Test certificates Very Happy (our tests were yesterday) and asked to see our proof of vaccination. They also asked if we had sworn statements of honour, which we do, but didn't wish to see them.

I've been well and truly ground down by the hassle of all the new testing regulations, flight cancellations, flight rebooking,car hire cancellation, train booking and having to look for a hotel on our last night in France.

However, once we are in Val Thorens it will all be worth it.

Now we just have the Covid test in 5 days time in France hanging over us rolling eyes
latest report
Quote:

They also asked if we had sworn statements of honour, which we do, but didn't wish to see them.

Well that kinda makes sense, doesn't it?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bergmeister, have a brilliant time. If you see or hear anything about in-resort testing please report back. I'm heading out on 17th Dec with a 14yo so I'm looking for any evidence that Val Thorens will have the capacity to cope with daily testing for 12-15 year olds. Pre-booking isn't available yet.
latest report
Ski instructors in Val T (ESF) are required from today to check pass sanitaire daily. Ours wasn't very pleased about it but them's the rules. I forgot to ask if that's a local rule, will check this afternoon.
latest report
@Bergmeister, @Jonpim, great to hear you're en route. We travel a week today, which seems an awfully long time given how quickly things are changing. @rob@rar, hope you get off on Friday - best of luck!
latest report
Boris wrote:

As for reaction - didn't this happen about 2 years ago?

One year ago - in the midst of the English Plague aka Alpha.

To be honest, it's not exactly the same this time around, as testing positive indicates that you are probably contagious. But then again, if you drive home, you will probably meet fewer people than by quarantining at some place you would yet have to find.

So I guess, this still holds true:
snowdave wrote:

If you told me that someone local had COVID, and they were planning to get in their car and drive a long long way away from me, and not see anyone on the way, I'd think that was a good thing. Nationality doesn't come into it, from a purely personal perspective, someone with COVID removing themselves from my proximity, and ideally from being a burden on my local healthcare system, is a good thing.

On the other hand, if you told me they were planning to board a plane/bus/travel through crowded hubs, I'd think they should be locked up.

But, risking to repeat myself, it imho only works if you're driving:

Bergmeister wrote:

Easyjet accepted our LF Test certificates Very Happy (our tests were yesterday) and asked to see our proof of vaccination. They also asked if we had sworn statements of honour, which we do, but didn't wish to see them.

I've been well and truly ground down by the hassle of all the new testing regulations, flight cancellations, flight rebooking,car hire cancellation, train booking and having to look for a hotel on our last night in France.

However, once we are in Val Thorens it will all be worth it.

Now we just have the Covid test in 5 days time in France hanging over us rolling eyes

What's your plan exactly, if you test positive in Val Thorens for your way back home? Fake tests and then sitting crunched together with a ton of other people on a plane? Going by train? Trying to rent a car, which you drive to - where? Calais? And then hopping on a train, crunched together...? Quarantining in VT at peak season rates - if you are even able to find a place? Quarantining in Albertville? How do you get there? By bus?

I can't help myself but thinking, flying out is madness. Even more so with Omicron taking over.
snow report
The return LFTs are easy to fake given remote certification is permitted. Whether you do or not is down to your moral scruples or whether you agree with whether they should have been implemented in the first place.
So if you are concerned about testing positive before your return-in practice, you are in an optional position as to whether you wish to avoid the situation.
snow report
As rob frequently tells me - don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

So while there may be some faked return tests, people are a) taking tests and b) likely to take extra steps to minimse contact dashing home. Although I do agree this is only "acceptable" if driving.
snow report
backhojo wrote:

only if the second jab is more than six months old I believe ???
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
As rob frequently tells me - don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

So while there may be some faked return tests, people are a) taking tests and b) likely to take extra steps to minimse contact dashing home. Although I do agree this is only "acceptable" if driving.
It’s the sensible thing to do wink

No doubt the testing regime can be abused, but think the majority will do their best to comply in the best way they can. Hopefully this will help, if not what’s the alternative?

Not having to rely on public transport to get to and from the Alps no doubt provides extra flexibility if things get complicated. But we’ve always faced the possibility that things might get complicated if we are away, as a result of injury meaning we can’t travel, for example. I’m in the process of cancelling the flights that I’ve got booked in January and booking Eurotunnel crossings to provide a bit more flexibility just in case. Less convenient and more expensive no doubt, but a bit of insurance in case things get worse (almost certain to happen in terms of infection numbers).
latest report
stefoy4me wrote:
backhojo wrote:

only if the second jab is more than six months old I believe ???

Is there any proof/confirmation for this?

I am due to ski in Jan 2022. My second vaccine was administered during August 2021, NHS / online sources in the UK suggest that a booster is unlikely to reach my age group any time soon and at least six months following the second jab. If so, that would take me beyond Jan 2022... Puzzled
snow conditions
Quote:

there any proof/confirmation for this?

I am due to ski in Jan 2022. My second vaccine was administered during August 2021, NHS / online sources in the UK suggest that a booster is unlikely to reach my age group any time soon and at least six months following the second jab. If so, that would take me beyond Jan 2022...

There was a thread about this last week I think. I believe that as from Jan 15th the Pass Sanitaire expires 7 months after last jab for under 65's although it's different if you had the one shot Jannsen vaccine. I'm keen to find out as my son is in the same boat as you.
I've just emailed the French covid help email to ask and will update when/if I hear back.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Not having to rely on public transport to get to and from the Alps no doubt provides extra flexibility if things get complicated. But we’ve always faced the possibility that things might get complicated if we are away, as a result of injury meaning we can’t travel, for example. I’m in the process of cancelling the flights that I’ve got booked in January and booking Eurotunnel crossings to provide a bit more flexibility just in case. Less convenient and more expensive no doubt, but a bit of insurance in case things get worse (almost certain to happen in terms of infection numbers).

I did the same for our Xmas trip - cancelled the flights (booked a year ago for about £20 vs £500 now) and car rental (which really hurt, because I'd got an amazing deal on the rental car, so driving will cost more than flying), and put some all season tyres on the car today. My ability to return home is now largely within my own control.

We are heading out pre-Xmas, then a short trip back for Xmas day/boxing day to see family before returning to the snow, so in total I think the 3 of us will have to do about 30 tests over 2 weeks! (UK-FR, FR-CH, CH-UK, UK-CH, CH-FR, FR-UK). We will have left the UK before our day 2 tests are needed, but we have to book and pay for them anyway.
latest report
philipb wrote:
Quote:

there any proof/confirmation for this?

I am due to ski in Jan 2022. My second vaccine was administered during August 2021, NHS / online sources in the UK suggest that a booster is unlikely to reach my age group any time soon and at least six months following the second jab. If so, that would take me beyond Jan 2022...

There was a thread about this last week I think. I believe that as from Jan 15th the Pass Sanitaire expires 7 months after last jab for under 65's although it's different if you had the one shot Jannsen vaccine. I'm keen to find out as my son is in the same boat as you.
I've just emailed the French covid help email to ask and will update when/if I hear back.

Thank you, I too saw previous mention. I hoped that it would be clarified in time but that might be wishful thinking!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy