Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
@rob@rar, we’re not - yet

@stodge, for current variants, if Omicron evades it, or the next version then what

@esaw1, I did many many weekend as a volunteer getting jabs into arms so don’t accuse me of lacking in gratitude.

I'll accept I am over-reacting, as it stands skiing is possible. I'm just looking on the bleak side of the news and the dire warnings
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Boris, I wasn't referring to you. Look back a few more posts before mine and all will become clear. And thank you for your volunteering. It's because of volunteers like you that we should all show our gratitude.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Boris wrote:

@stodge, for current variants, if Omicron evades it, or the next version then what

@esaw1, I did many many weekend as a volunteer getting jabs into arms so don’t accuse me of lacking in gratitude
Nor will we be. No evidence that vaccines will stop working, nobody thinks that.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Boris wrote:

There is definitely a realistic scenario where Omicron is shown to evade when it comes to infecting but not when it comes to causing notable illness in double jabbed people. As governments seem to be fixated on infection rates rather than hospitalisations, this could lead for further lockdowns in Europe in the new year and affect ski trips.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
userscott wrote:
....How can it be that four days out and I have absolutely no idea whether we are going or not!

Heard back from Crystal this morning that we have until Wednesday to make an amend for our trip on the 19th... part of me just think move it to some arbitrary date next year and enjoy Christmas here, but the other half is saying that three tests per person isn't the end of the world and the hoops to jump through will be worth the great skiing.... I need a holiday just to get over the stress of booking this holiday!!!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I would go for it if I was you!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
userscott wrote:
All I can say to summise, is that I'm surrounded by packs of tests and the van is sat here packed and ready for the Alps on Friday and I really, really, really hope that we get to go. How can it be that four days out and I have absolutely no idea whether we are going or not!

Its so frustrating! Good luck I hope you do get to go without any issues, please report back as I'm keen to hear from anyone flying UK to Geneva to holiday in France.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

No evidence that vaccines will stop working, nobody thinks that.

I've got my pessimistic head on, but surely people are thinking that, which is why tests are being introduced for travel, regardless of vaccine status??
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Boris, watch the Dimbleby Lecture tonight, and get a trustworthy view.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Boris, we know that vaccinated people can carry infection - we've pretty well always known that. The initial signs are that Omicron might see that happening more often - but we don't yet know for sure. Loads of vaccinated people are routinely doing LFTs before they go to work, or to crowded occasions. Many countries have pre-arrival test requirements (letting new arrivals wait for 48 hours AFTER entry before being tested is a stable-door-shutting exercise, I reckon). Requiring people coming into the country to prove they are free of Covid BEFORE they arrive seems pretty reasonable to me - annoying as it is on a personal level.

I don't remember any outraged posts on SHs after we banned entrants from a whole lot of African countries, overnight. I'm hoping to be in France for Christmas - I'm personally affected by these new rules, but some of the ranting here about messed up ski plans is well over the top. All of us who made arrangements to travel this winter must have known they were provisional.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am concerned about the daily testing of our 14yo...

I got this from Montchavin Les Coches tourist office:

Quote:
Following your request regarding the COVID test locations, you will find all the contacts on the station (Mr JOHAN David Physiotherapist in Montchavin) is nearby on our dedicated COVID 19 web page La Plagne takes care of you.

To date, we confirm that a test center will open in Plagne Center very soon.

We will give you all the details as soon as possible on our dedicated COVID 19 web page La Plagne takes care of you

Just not convinced right now that this won't be a royal pain in the ass.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Layne wrote:
I am concerned about the daily testing of our 14yo...

I got this from Montchavin Les Coches tourist office:

Quote:
Following your request regarding the COVID test locations, you will find all the contacts on the station (Mr JOHAN David Physiotherapist in Montchavin) is nearby on our dedicated COVID 19 web page La Plagne takes care of you.

To date, we confirm that a test center will open in Plagne Center very soon.

We will give you all the details as soon as possible on our dedicated COVID 19 web page La Plagne takes care of you

Just not convinced right now that this won't be a royal pain in the ass.

Yes I saw this (we have apartment in Champagny on the other side of La Plagne - no testing at all in our village, have to go down to Bozel) so have been looking daily at testing in La Plagne. Saw that M Johan only open on Tues Weds and.Fri by appointment- which means no skiing on the other days unless you can get to Plagne Centre to get tests...
No testing at.all in Montalbert either...

This may well get very tricky if they don't sort it....
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
X5OT76 wrote:
stodge wrote:
Even though I believe the risk to be small enough to not stop me cancelling, what are the implications of a positive test? There will be 4 of us in a rented apartment in Meribel. If one of us tests positive 2 days before departure, can any of us travel? The apartment is only available for a week - where do we quarantine after that - and how do we get there (our taxi to Lyon may not why to transport us)?

This is our main concern as well (heading to Les Arcs on 19/12 for 12 days). 2 adults, 2 children. If one of us tests positive it is impossible to isolate in our apartment. I have read somewhere that if the person who tests positive cannot isolate, the whole group must isolate for an extended period. I think I have seen 17 days quoted somewhere but this may be incorrect (I hope!!)

As I posted above, in France the rules for close contacts are strict (note that a positive case on a lateral flow test will be obliged to declare it and take a PCR, sequencing here is also ramping up btw):

1- For 'regular' covid, vaccinated contacts are not required to quarantine but to be careful/sensible (roughly). However, any unvaccinated contacts (i.e your children) are obliged to quarantine for 7-days IF they can isolate from the original case. If they can't (because you are e.g. in a ski apartment), then they must isolate for 17 days from the onset of symptoms in the original case.

2- For 'fancy' omicron covid, all contacts, vaccinated or not, are required to isolate for 7-days if they can separate from the original case, and again 17-days if they can't.

We had family members caught by case 1 in October. They spent a looong time here (17 days...).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bergmeister wrote:

……………….I think these new requirements are way over the top and an overreaction of the highest order. Sad

I feel the same way, Mr BM, based on information from the ‘experts’ such as…..

1) On Friday the World Health Organisation said there had been no reported deaths from the Omicron variant, despite it being detected in at least 38 countries.

2) The latest technical briefing from the UK Health Security Agency reveals that, as of November 30th, no known cases of Omicron in England resulted in hospitalisation.

3) South African health researcher Professor Willem Hanekom, director of the Africa Health Research Institute said ‘ the disease has appeared to be mild’ and ‘ the disease may occur more in younger unvaccinated people’ and ‘the rest of the World is panicking unnecessarily about Omicron’.

I am fully aware that, despite the above, absolutely anything could happen in the future. However, knowing that full Covid lockdowns have worked effectively in the past and so we have a proven emergency remedy ‘up our sleeve’, in my opinion, the reaction to the number of cases so far and the severity of those cases appears to be a total overreaction in respect of all the extra testing requirements recently introduced.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No new restrictions in France for now.

https://twitter.com/thelocalfrance/status/1467874230536527877?s=21
snow report
JamesHJ wrote:
X5OT76 wrote:
stodge wrote:
Even though I believe the risk to be small enough to not stop me cancelling, what are the implications of a positive test? There will be 4 of us in a rented apartment in Meribel. If one of us tests positive 2 days before departure, can any of us travel? The apartment is only available for a week - where do we quarantine after that - and how do we get there (our taxi to Lyon may not why to transport us)?

This is our main concern as well (heading to Les Arcs on 19/12 for 12 days). 2 adults, 2 children. If one of us tests positive it is impossible to isolate in our apartment. I have read somewhere that if the person who tests positive cannot isolate, the whole group must isolate for an extended period. I think I have seen 17 days quoted somewhere but this may be incorrect (I hope!!)

As I posted above, in France the rules for close contacts are strict (note that a positive case on a lateral flow test will be obliged to declare it and take a PCR, sequencing here is also ramping up btw):

1- For 'regular' covid, vaccinated contacts are not required to quarantine but to be careful/sensible (roughly). However, any unvaccinated contacts (i.e your children) are obliged to quarantine for 7-days IF they can isolate from the original case. If they can't (because you are e.g. in a ski apartment), then they must isolate for 17 days from the onset of symptoms in the original case.

2- For 'fancy' omicron covid, all contacts, vaccinated or not, are required to isolate for 7-days if they can separate from the original case, and again 17-days if they can't.

We had family members caught by case 1 in October. They spent a looong time here (17 days...).

The unintended consequence of this will be people with very mild symptoms not bothering to get tested if that can avoid it.
latest report
Timmycb5 wrote:
JamesHJ wrote:
X5OT76 wrote:
stodge wrote:

The unintended consequence of this will be people with very mild symptoms not bothering to get tested if that can avoid it.

Absolutely- I travelled for work (EU, not France) recently, and was a contact of a case. The motivation for getting tested was extremely low two days before my flight... I did it in the end, and was OK, but I seriously thought about just winging it and making a beeline for home.

This is exactly why obligatory testing before re-entering the UK throws such a huge and ugly cat amongst the pigeons. The thing is that this is certain to catch a non-negligible number of UK travellers. I can't see how e.g. student trips with hundreds/thousands of people can possibly run this winter. What will a French mayor do with all the positive people/contacts?

p.s. I am absolutely certain that all hell will break loose with the Gendarmerie if people try to make a break for it and e.g. drive back to the UK. Somebody is certain to try, and will be made an example of.
snow report
@JamesHJ,

It is a recipe for a complete mess. Surely it'll go to one extreme or the other... restrictions lifted, or resorts shut down?

For everyone else, surely it's a good idea to identify people who are positive, before they travel (out or back), use public transport etc?

But, what will happen if we arrive in resort and find our booked accommodation is unavailable because the people from the week before are isolating and have been unable to make alternative arrangements?
snow report
@JamesHJ, it's a real concern - my son is on a Uni trip in VT at the moment. 3000 students. One imagines that the likelihood of the full 3000 being free of COVID - asymptomatic or otherwise - when tested at the end of this week is extremely low. I wonder how they'll handle it.
ski holidays
stodge wrote:
I would go for it if I was you!

I'm starting to think that, is it actually a big risk?

- everyone who gets on the plane is tested negative (apart from young kiddies)
- minimal contact with others at the airport, all of whom will have to have tested negative
- sit on a transfer coach for 3-4hrs with people who've all tested negative, no real mix with anyone on the way.
- hotel will have people from all over but every one of them will have had to have tested negative to get into Andorra.

A rational thinker would surmise that if there are so many negative people, then they should remain negative. Of course that's not how it works but the fear of something happening greatly outweighs the actual reality.

If those pre-departure tests weren't implemented I'd have zero qualms about going...
ski holidays
7ncj wrote:
@JamesHJ,

It is a recipe for a complete mess. Surely it'll go to one extreme or the other... restrictions lifted, or resorts shut down?

For everyone else, surely it's a good idea to identify people who are positive, before they travel (out or back), use public transport etc?

But, what will happen if we arrive in resort and find our booked accommodation is unavailable because the people from the week before are isolating and have been unable to make alternative arrangements?

That's a horrible situation that I hadn't considered before Shocked
latest report
Timmycb5 wrote:
7ncj wrote:
@JamesHJ,

That's a horrible situation that I hadn't considered before Shocked

Maybe the UK government will make a play to swap all the stranded tourists for boat refugees? I am sure the cogs are turning at the home office as we type snowHead

Edit: surely this is just a 'nudge' policy from the UK government to persuade people not to travel?
latest report
@Specialman, The event that pours cold water on your optimism is the Norwegian business party last week where one person recently returned from South Africa spread Omicron to at least 13 and possibly 60 of the 120 present. All double jabbed and all testing negative.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/omicron-outbreak-norway-christmas-party-is-biggest-outside-s-africa-authorities-2021-12-03/
snow conditions
@BoardieK, hmmm, I wonder how many were prior infected
latest report
@JamesHJ, Laughing
snow report
All the above considered, one can make their 2 day before departure lateral flows in either direction display whichever result they require. Lemon juice for a positive, and just two drops of the fluid with no swab sample for a negative. The whole system is a sham. The only people forced to stay longer to isolate will be those desperately unwell, I expect.
latest report
userscott wrote:
All the above considered, one can make their 2 day before departure lateral flows in either direction display whichever result they require. Lemon juice for a positive, and just two drops of the fluid with no swab sample for a negative. The whole system is a sham. The only people forced to stay longer to isolate will be those desperately unwell, I expect.

There are a lot of people who will not do that for moral reasons, probably more than you expect. How could anyone do that in front of their children for example?

That said, if it works for you, then crack on.
latest report
JamesHJ wrote:
userscott wrote:

There are a lot of people who will not do that for moral reasons, probably more than you expect. How could anyone do that in front of their children for example?

Myself nor anybody in my party would either dream of doing it or, for that matter, need to.

But, as the BBC and Vice investigations into this topic proved, a huge number of people will act in this manner. It’s why the US for instance won’t accept an unsupervised test and why I was so shocked the French and British do..
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BoardieK wrote:
@Specialman, The event that pours cold water on your optimism is the Norwegian business party last week where one person recently returned from South Africa spread Omicron to at least 13 and possibly 60 of the 120 present. All double jabbed and all testing negative.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/omicron-outbreak-norway-christmas-party-is-biggest-outside-s-africa-authorities-2021-12-03/

Consider my optimism well and truly drowned in icewater Toofy Grin
snow conditions
userscott wrote:
JamesHJ wrote:
userscott wrote:

Myself nor anybody in my party would either dream of doing it or, for that matter, need to.

But, as the BBC and Vice investigations into this topic proved, a huge number of people will act in this manner. It’s why the US for instance won’t accept an unsupervised test and why I was so shocked the French and British do..

I suppose that- like everything else- somebody has a compliance ratio in their model somewhere. It must still be worthwhile to request these tests on some level.
snow conditions
Someone in here said there was a French announcement due today. Anyone know if that’s still the case?
ski holidays
Rednat5 wrote:
Someone in here said there was a French announcement due today. Anyone know if that’s still the case?

7 p.m. French time. Some say that there will be no major changes for the moment, except more masks in primary schools... Reputedly the first omicron case in Grenoble has been found btw.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 6-12-21 17:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I wonder if the European nations will agree amongst themselves ( but not for non European travel) to relax rules to permit quarantine (home or hotel) in returned to country of residence rather than where folk had been holidaying following positive test in country of departure. Agreement to be announced when sufficient scientific evidence has been gathered to show benign but prevalent nature of Omicron?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 6-12-21 17:20; edited 1 time in total
latest report
All this planning has anyone actually considered what happens if they test positive while still in resort. What happens, do you get carted off to an expensive hotel for 10 days and locked up?
snow report
JamesHJ wrote:
userscott wrote:

I'd do it!

Here's my rationale for my circumstances:
Family of 4 (all Double jabbed with TAC installed and working) driving to S/C accommodation in France.
We will do LFT before we leave and assuming we're all clear use those to pass through French Border control.
Before we come back we need to do another LFT then get in the car and drive home. As soon as we're in UK we can do our "Day2" PCR and wait for negative result.

So lets assume the pre-departure LFT shows one or more positive in the family - what's the safest and most sensible course of action?
a) phone around and find a hotel or accommodation somewhere in France and keep testing every day until we have all clear LFTs or
b) get in the car and drive straight home where we can isolate until we have a negative test result knowing we have to do a PCR anyway?

So we'll take some NHS LFTs with us to make sure we are ok before we use the Randox ones to generate the certificate that UK border control will need to see.
If we look like we're not going to sail through those tests then I'm quite happy to "create" a negative result to allow us to come home.

I realise that my circumstances are not the same as everyones and if we were flying it would be a different story but I genuinely think falsifying a result to get home for us will be safer for all.
snow report
feefee wrote:
All this planning has anyone actually considered what happens if they test positive while still in resort. What happens, do you get carted off to an expensive hotel for 10 days and locked up?

It's currently on you to make alternative arrangements. It could be 17 days if it's identified at the new variant and you can't isolate from others in your party.
snow conditions
Quote:

anyone actually considered what happens if they test positive while still in resort

Well I've considered faking the pre-departure test, jump in the car and head for the border limiting our exposure along the way.
snow conditions
It’s looking less and less likely our trip will go ahead, if we had the option to bail now without losing all our money I’d seriously consider it Puzzled
ski holidays
BoardieK wrote:

I dont want to shoot the messenger, but...........so what?

If this was pre Covid, and some geezer in Norway passed on a mild cold to his colleagues that he caught in SA, would any of us (a) know, or (b) give a monkeys?

While I understand that we should be vigilant, I think that paranoia over new variants is unnecessary and counterproductive - certainly until we know the full facts.

The paragraph that has the most relevance in the Reuters article is the one which states

"Health authorities said the individuals infected were so far displaying mild symptoms, with none hospitalised"
latest report
If you are interested in the events in Paris, you can follow on Le Monde. https://www.lemonde.fr/politique/live/2021/12/06/covid-19-suivez-en-direct-la-conference-de-presse-de-jean-castex-et-d-olivier-veran_6104931_823448.html
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy