Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Javid has just announced that pre-departure tests will now be required when returning to the UK. FFS!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59534685
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Where can these be booked in arc1800?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
And indeed Tignes Eh oh!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also why do a two day pcr if we have to take a pre departure, surely one or the other?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Tignes has a webpage to book tests on.

The testing is at the medical centre at the top of Rue de la poste

A bit manual but it works

https://en.tignes.net/informations-covid-19
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The BBC story says "PCR or lateral flow" acceptable. If this is correct I plan to take a lateral flow test with me to France next week and use the online certification. I appreciate this isn't any help if you are already there.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is a PCR needed to get back to UK via Geneva? Or will a LFT suffice for Swiss regs?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@RobH2017, cheers yep I know it

@fuzzydunlop, how much does this cost, apparently one in Tignes is only €25
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
To answer ajc2260626's question: testing is a good thing, you can never have too much of a good thing. Especially if someone else is paying.
And if it discourages people from travelling, so much the better.
As usual the UK Gov't, after a token resistance, has given in to the demands of rival politicians (and others) demanding tighter restrictions.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Rookiescot wrote:
Is a PCR needed to get back to UK via Geneva? Or will a LFT suffice for Swiss regs?


My reading of the rules is that anyone departing from the border regions (incl Rhone Alpes) is exempt for any test to enter Switzerland.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ajc2260626,

I've just bought 2 and paid £5 extra for 1 hour turn round on the certificate - £20 each and free postage. https://testngo.co.uk/pages/order-antigen-pcr-test-home
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@fuzzydunlop, chuckled when I saw your username.

Microphone suitable for the urban crime environment.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rjj501, It's my street name ...


Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 4-12-21 20:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
fuzzydunlop wrote:
@ajc2260626,

I've just bought 2 and paid £5 extra for 1 hour turn round on the certificate - £20 each and free postage. https://testngo.co.uk/pages/order-antigen-pcr-test-home


TestnGo promised to deliver our tests within 2 working days but took 4!

I'd recommend looking for an alternative provider.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fuzzydunlop wrote:
@rjj501, It's my street name ...


Imagine living in Fuzzydunlop Street Shocked
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Bergmeister, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bergmeister wrote:
fuzzydunlop wrote:
@rjj501, It's my street name ...


Imagine living in Fuzzydunlop Street Shocked


If I were a town planner, I’d be pushing for a Fuzzydunlop Street.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Bergmeister, Thanks for the tip. I have backups with another company.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@fuzzydunlop, do you do them over video link or just take a pic and email it?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ajc2260626, 'When performing your test you are required to take a photo of the completed test with your Test Booking Reference next to it (please use our hpto templates to help you with this). You are then required to register the test and upload the photo using our antigen registration form.' But be aware I've not used them yet, so I can't recommend them other than to say they seemed reasonable value on the face of it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think we will just stick with the ones in Tignes Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rjj501 wrote:
Rookiescot wrote:
Is a PCR needed to get back to UK via Geneva? Or will a LFT suffice for Swiss regs?


My reading of the rules is that anyone departing from the border regions (incl Rhone Alpes) is exempt for any test to enter Switzerland.


Not departing from border regions but living into border regions....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Right

I have tried to go through everything in huge detail this morning

Our journey usually UK-France-CH by car.

OUT --- PCR test 72 hours before entering CH - will be fine for F if done 48 before entry - this gets us into F and CH
Then lateral flow test needed in 4-7 day window in CH

Return is more complex

BACK --- PCR test instant result needed (very difficult to find in Alpine CH) 48 hour window from test time - drive through F - enter UK within 48hrs
Then 2 days; quarantine
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@valais2, I have good news and bad news ...

The return to the UK test requirement is "From 4am, Tuesday 7 December all people aged 12 years and over must take a PCR or LFD COVID-19 test before they travel to England from abroad." (from here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-to-england-from-another-country-during-coronavirus-covid-19).

This means for a one week holiday that an in-resort Swiss pharmacy LFD test on day 6 would give you both Swiss compliance and Fit-to-fly evidence for UK entry. For a longer holiday, you would obviously need a second LFD test in resort to enter the UK.

However, you appear to have missed one last test - the pre-booked Day 0-2 PCR test in the UK required to escape quarantine (details of this are required on your passenger locator form).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
valais2 wrote:
Right

I have tried to go through everything in huge detail this morning

Our journey usually UK-France-CH by car.

OUT --- PCR test 72 hours before entering CH - will be fine for F if done 48 before entry - this gets us into F and CH
Then lateral flow test needed in 4-7 day window in CH

Return is more complex

BACK --- PCR test instant result needed (very difficult to find in Alpine CH) 48 hour window from test time - drive through F - enter UK within 48hrs
Then 2 days; quarantine


Your pre-return test can be LF. It doesn't have to be PCR.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Will the self tests supplied by approved suppliers (such as Chronomics etc) be acceptable returning from France? This page https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france says "Self-administered tests are not accepted".
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stodge wrote:
Will the self tests supplied by approved suppliers (such as Chronomics etc) be acceptable returning from France? This page https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france says "Self-administered tests are not accepted".
Yes, I believe they are acceptable. The "self-administered" tests are the ones you pick up for free from your local pharmacist. The ones you buy from an approved provider, despite being an identical test, are not classed as self-administered.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar wrote:
stodge wrote:
Will the self tests supplied by approved suppliers (such as Chronomics etc) be acceptable returning from France? This page https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france says "Self-administered tests are not accepted".
Yes, I believe they are acceptable. The "self-administered" tests are the ones you pick up for free from your local pharmacist. The ones you buy from an approved provider, despite being an identical test, are not classed as self-administered.
That's not so bad then - looking at Chronomics that has increased the cost of testing by £10 a head. It has however also increased the risk of quarantine in France, but only slightly because everyone in resort would have been vaccinated and foreigners PCR tested before arrival.
snow report
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
re self-administered tests :: from

https://uk.ambafrance.org/COVID-19-rules-for-travel-between-France-and-the-UK-28918#List-of-documents-and-negative-test-to-be-presented-for-travel

"From 4 December, fully vaccinated travellers (12 years old or more), and whatever their nationality, have to provide the result of a negative PCR or antigen test (in paper or digital format) carried out less than 48h hours prior to departure. Self-administred tests, whose results are not certified by a laboratory (e.g.: tests provided free of charge by the NHS) are not considered valid for travel."
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@stodge, as it goes you bring up a good point, that due to the fact that you have to have a pass sanitaire to use any of the facilities, and test to the Nth degree to get on a plane, the chances of picking up the virus in resort is minimal anyway.

more chance on the underground/public transport in the uk!!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think this measure has completely shot to pieces any hope of my own trip in Jan unfortunately. I simply cannot afford to quarantine in France if I were to test positive before the return. I should imagine a lot are in that same position. Hopefully it’s reversed in the next couple of weeks.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Latest update on French Consulate seems to give better clarity to the pre-departure test requirements:

https://uk.ambafrance.org/COVID-19-rules-for-travel-between-France-and-the-UK-28918#t1-Travelling-from-the-UK-to-France

Quote:
LAST MINUTE :

From 4 December, fully vaccinated travellers (12 years old or more), and whatever their nationality, have to provide the result of a negative PCR or antigen test (in paper or digital format) carried out less than 48h hours prior to departure. Self-administred tests, whose results are not certified by a laboratory (e.g.: tests provided free of charge by the NHS) are not considered valid for travel.


I think that is pretty clear. Certified by a lab, good to go.

Just hope you don't need an antigen test in resort everyday for your Pass Sanitaire (ie. 12-15 year olds or non double jabbed 16-18 year olds), with news of antigen pricing in VT of EUR 75 per test !
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry didn't see @albob, had already posted same link Embarassed
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It’s still a little unclear but I think the general view is that the self-administered rapid antigens are still being accepted, provided that the company provides you with a certificate declaring your result with a QR code. Obviously the free tests from pharmacies or the NHS don’t give you that. At least that was the impression that the rep from C19 Testing gave.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PrinceJohn wrote:
I think this measure has completely shot to pieces any hope of my own trip in Jan unfortunately. I simply cannot afford to quarantine in France if I were to test positive before the return. I should imagine a lot are in that same position. Hopefully it’s reversed in the next couple of weeks.

This is not meant as a dig at you but if you were positive and there was no pre flight test would you think it acceptable to get on the flight & quarantine back in the U.K..
Personally I think pre Flight LFT is sufficient for every flight & no other tests required . That basically add £20 per flight & removed the risk of spreading
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gazzza wrote:
Latest update on French Consulate seems to give better clarity to the pre-departure test requirements:

https://uk.ambafrance.org/COVID-19-rules-for-travel-between-France-and-the-UK-28918#t1-Travelling-from-the-UK-to-France

Quote:
LAST MINUTE :

From 4 December, fully vaccinated travellers (12 years old or more), and whatever their nationality, have to provide the result of a negative PCR or antigen test (in paper or digital format) carried out less than 48h hours prior to departure. Self-administred tests, whose results are not certified by a laboratory (e.g.: tests provided free of charge by the NHS) are not considered valid for travel.


I think that is pretty clear. Certified by a lab, good to go.

Just hope you don't need an antigen test in resort everyday for your Pass Sanitaire (ie. 12-15 year olds or non double jabbed 16-18 year olds), with news of antigen pricing in VT of EUR 75 per test !


Do you think there would be a way to pre buy in the UK some 'Lab certified self rapid test' - usually about £20 each - take them over to France with you and get your 12-15 year old to do one every day to get the Pass Sanitaire for the lifts ? Not sure if or how this would work as i guessing you need a QR code of some sort to scan. Maybe pre buying them from a French company (ones the French would need to use to before they travelled to the uk) instead as they maybe able to generate the correct code?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Playing devils advocate, you don't take a pre travel test to board a packed train or bus, or bar in central London, why should you have to on a flight ?
Especially if flying back from a destination that has a lower rate of infection than the UK (which is high), you are less likely to catch and spread than those going about their business in the UK.

Of course, variants obviously only get in with travel, so we take the pain for travelling, but really for travel from destinations with lower rates of infection, there is a certain illogicalness to testing everyone vis a vis not testing the hoardes packed into bars or on trains in UK cities.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonny996 wrote:
PrinceJohn wrote:
I think this measure has completely shot to pieces any hope of my own trip in Jan unfortunately. I simply cannot afford to quarantine in France if I were to test positive before the return. I should imagine a lot are in that same position. Hopefully it’s reversed in the next couple of weeks.


This is not meant as a dig at you but if you were positive and there was no pre flight test would you think it acceptable to get on the flight & quarantine back in the U.K..


I don't think PJ is suggesting that at all. He is saying that he
"cannot afford to quarantine in France if (he) were to test positive before the return."

However, in the absence of a compulsory test he couldn't possibly test positive before his return, so would do what everyone else has been doing to date and simply travel to the UK untested.
latest report



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy