Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
No one has considered yet that this pandemic is over?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
deleted. read something back to front

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 11-01-22 16:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

But hardly anyone follows through

Glad to hear it - certainly don't want that on a gondola
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
For those who are forced to cancel (e.g. us for this week thanks to timing of cost recovery deadlines) it appears that the ski-pass refunds - well, for Les Arcs / ADS anyway - are quite efficient:

Form filled on 30th Dec. https://www.ticketoski.fr/en/clientads/situation/878/dossier/add

Confirmation email today: credit card to be fully refunded.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
elefantfresh wrote:
Just a quick bit of feedback from VT.
We arrived in Grenoble from Dublin on Saturday.
Cert was scanned in the airport and transfer to resort via bus as normal. Wear the mask.
Checked into air bnb all normal.
First day on the slope on Sunday and was prepared with usual buff but also medical mask in pocket, cert in pocket and ID to verify.
Not asked once on Sunday or Monday for cert on lifts. Didn't see anybody checking.
Was asked for cert yesterday at a burger bar.
Tbh, we've not gone into any bars as we're really trying to avoid people and just doing the food shop mostly.
It's pretty quiet around and there are zero lift queues.
Delighted to get to the slopes with 2 years to the month since we stretched the legs.
Hopefully the rest of you will get your chance.
So much accommodation available and very cheap too. A bargain if you can get out here.

Did you need to isolate for 48hrs? I have a french passport (which I believe permits me to travel under the latest compelling reasons) however unclear if I can present a rapid Lateral Flow to free me for Day 1 of skiing?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nunex wrote:

With 1 in 12 teachers off with Covid? With trains being comprehensively cancelled because so many drivers are off with Covid? With gaps in the supermarket shelves because so many in the supply chain are off with Covid? With the Education Minister suggesting that the answer to staff shortages is to consolidate classes into 60+ sizes? With Heathrow saying that it'll take another couple of years before flights get back to normal? I'm all for adjusting things to get out of this ASAP but saying this 'is over' is just wishful thinking. And if missing out on my ski holiday for a second time means that I'll get to go out the the Alps this summer, then it's a small price to pay to avoid yet another cycle of variant infection.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 11-01-22 16:51; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@LaForet, but how many are off 'because of covid", and how many "off because of covid isolation" rules ?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arctic Roll wrote:
@LaForet, but how many are off 'because of covid", and how many "off because of covid isolation" rules ?

A lot. Wishful thinking again. People need to get real. It'll take time to normalise things and it doesn't help that for many people and the media, 'living with Covid' is synonymous with 'forgetting there ever was and still is a pandemic'.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 11-01-22 16:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
LaForet wrote:
nunex wrote:

With 1 in 12 teachers off with Covid? With trains being comprehensively cancelled because so many drivers are off with Covid? With gaps in the supermarket shelves because so many in the supply chain are off with Covid? With the Education Minister suggesting that the answer to staff shortages is to consolidate classes into 60+ sizes? With Heathrow saying that it'll take another couple of years before flights get back to normal? I'm all for adjusting things to get out of this ASAP but saying this 'is over' is just wishful thinking.

You have only mentioned administrative restrictions. No one is in life danger anymore, except those that were already in danger from the flu or other respiratory viruses.

It's purely political by now, but everyone keeps discussing it like it was still dangerous to live a normal life.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@nunex, There are other threads specifically for Coronavirus discussion, vaccines, health, politics etc.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nunex wrote:
LaForet wrote:
nunex wrote:

With 1 in 12 teachers off with Covid? With trains being comprehensively cancelled because so many drivers are off with Covid? With gaps in the supermarket shelves because so many in the supply chain are off with Covid? With the Education Minister suggesting that the answer to staff shortages is to consolidate classes into 60+ sizes? With Heathrow saying that it'll take another couple of years before flights get back to normal? I'm all for adjusting things to get out of this ASAP but saying this 'is over' is just wishful thinking.

You have only mentioned administrative restrictions. No one is in life danger anymore, except those that were already in danger from the flu or other respiratory viruses.

It's purely political by now, but everyone keeps discussing it like it was still dangerous to live a normal life.

Completely disagree. It' isn't 'purely political' and I deprecate the tired old view that libertarians have espoused throughout that it's only affected the 150,000 dead, unworthwhile geriatrics who were going to die soon anyway. Which even if it were true - which it isn't - would be an immoral view.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GreenDay wrote:
@nunex, There are other threads specifically for Coronavirus discussion, vaccines, health, politics etc.

Sorry. I won't further discuss this here.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Incoming

https://twitter.com/thelocalfrance/status/1480931424219942923?s=21
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This is a little more official that changes to borders will be made in the coming days
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Rob Mackley, looks hopeful.
snow conditions
It's very simple, UK should go back onto the Red (or lower) list as SA etc etc etc......
snow conditions
James77 wrote:
It's very simple, UK should go back onto the Red (or lower) list as SA etc etc etc......

Yep, agreed, and these would be the rules for vaccinated travellers:

If already vaccinated, you shall present proof of your vaccination status and a sworn statement certifying the absence of COVID-19 symptoms and of any contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19. You shall present the transport company and border authorities with a negative PCR or antigen test taken less than 48 hears prior to departure (departure of first flight in case of connecting flights).

Which is actually more lenient than entering Switzerland which is 24 hour antigen and seeing as I'm entering via Geneva that's what I will also have to meet, fingers crossed, I'll be fuming if it doesn't change I'm desperate to go away for the first time in 2 years.
ski holidays
that would be very welcome news, having had the rug pulled on my NY trip, desperate for Feb HT to happen

common sense should prevail......jabbed and/or boosted - evidence of status plus negative test result uploaded to travel provider........and we carry on as close to normal as poss

this variant has proven to be less harmful...lets hope its the start of burn out
snow report
Twitter - this afternoon.

The Local France

"Further relaxations to France's strict UK travel restrictions are apparently coming soon (according to the MP representing French people living in the UK) - we will have full details here as soon as details are released https://thelocal.fr/tag/transport/"

Alexandre Holroyd - "À la suite de nombreux échanges avec le #Gouvernement, de considérables allègements des mesures sanitaires aux frontières seront très prochainement annoncés.

Plus de détails ici dans les jours à venir / Following numerous exchanges with the #Government, considerable relief from border health measures will be announced very soon. More details here in the coming days"
snow report
Julief wrote:
@snowheed - I'm curious about this 'Vaccine Pass' - is it something different to the Tous Anti Covid App? - which I can't get to work for love nor money! I have 3 jabs but it will only show 1 , despite me uploading my pdf of vaccination records from NHS App
OR... can I just show my NHS App everywhere I go, like in Austria?

When we were in France over Christmas we just used the NHS Covid Pass Travel each time we were asked for our Pass Sanitaire and it was accepted everywhere with no issues. So our experience is that there was no requirement for the Tous Anti Covid App.
snow report
Monty72 wrote:
Julief wrote:
@snowheed - I'm curious about this 'Vaccine Pass' - is it something different to the Tous Anti Covid App? - which I can't get to work for love nor money! I have 3 jabs but it will only show 1 , despite me uploading my pdf of vaccination records from NHS App

When we were in France over Christmas we just used the NHS Covid Pass Travel each time we were asked for our Pass Sanitaire and it was accepted everywhere with no issues. So our experience is that there was no requirement for the Tous Anti Covid App.

You can save the pass to the iPhone or Android wallet for easy access.
ski holidays
Monty72 wrote:
Julief wrote:

You can use the NHS App but TAC is much quicker (and not dependent on login to the NHS App).
ski holidays
[quote="DJL"]
Monty72 wrote:
Julief wrote:

When we were in France over Christmas we just used the NHS Covid Pass Travel each time we were asked for our Pass Sanitaire and it was accepted everywhere with no issues. So our experience is that there was no requirement for the Tous Anti Covid App.[/quote

You can use the NHS App but TAC is much quicker (and not dependent on login to the NHS App).

Ongoing arms race on how to get to your QR code quickest:

Super slow: log into NHS app and click through to “travel” certificate.

Quicker: Copy NHS code into TAC app - no need to log in so can be done with no internet

Quicker still: copy NHS cert into apple (or android?) wallet, access direct from home screen

Smarty-pants variation: load from the wallet on your Apple Watch

Extra speedy: screenshot QR code and set as screensaver - no need to even open your wallet

Analogue (but not susceptible to device failure) - print the flippin’ thing.
latest report
[quote="andy from embsay"]
DJL wrote:
Monty72 wrote:
Julief wrote:

When we were in France over Christmas we just used the NHS Covid Pass Travel each time we were asked for our Pass Sanitaire and it was accepted everywhere with no issues. So our experience is that there was no requirement for the Tous Anti Covid App.[/quote

Ongoing arms race on how to get to your QR code quickest:

Super slow: log into NHS app and click through to “travel” certificate.

Quicker: Copy NHS code into TAC app - no need to log in so can be done with no internet

Quicker still: copy NHS cert into apple (or android?) wallet, access direct from home screen

Smarty-pants variation: load from the wallet on your Apple Watch

Extra speedy: screenshot QR code and set as screensaver - no need to even open your wallet

Analogue (but not susceptible to device failure) - print the flippin’ thing.

Agreed -I should have been more specific! We saved into apple wallet and also apple watch. Youngest son, subject to daily testing went for the QR screensaver option!
snow conditions
LaForet wrote:
nunex wrote:

With 1 in 12 teachers off with Covid? With trains being comprehensively cancelled because so many drivers are off with Covid? With gaps in the supermarket shelves because so many in the supply chain are off with Covid? With the Education Minister suggesting that the answer to staff shortages is to consolidate classes into 60+ sizes? With Heathrow saying that it'll take another couple of years before flights get back to normal? I'm all for adjusting things to get out of this ASAP but saying this 'is over' is just wishful thinking. And if missing out on my ski holiday for a second time means that I'll get to go out the the Alps this summer, then it's a small price to pay to avoid yet another cycle of variant infection.

Good for you.Some of us though will take the risk with a cold..
latest report
Anyone have any insight into when the French Government will look at the rules re UK travellers again?

We are driving from UK on 12 Feb, via Channel Tunnel, to Val d’Isere. Four of us: two adults both with booster jabs done; and one 15 and one 13 year old both double jabbed.
latest report
@ss_123, positive outlook rather than negative, which gives us some hope thanks Eh oh!
snow conditions
@ajkn, read the tweet linked above - it looks (very) imminent. Clearly the relaxation is agreed, they just need to announce it. I’m wondering if it could even be tonight as several English rugby clubs have said they won’t travel to European Cup games this weekend if they have to isolate/retest for 48hrs - Newcastle’s game is Friday night so they’d need to know by tomorrow lunchtime if they’re going or not. Possibly wishful thinking!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@andy from embsay, brill. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 11-01-22 19:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Arctic Roll wrote:

How many more would be off ‘because of covid’ if there wasn’t the isolation, which part if this is so difficult to understand?
latest report
To add fuel to debate about changes this week... I got this in response today to a request to shift my end of Jan accommodation to later in the season :

"We have just had some information from our colleagues and numerous sources in France such as the director of Meribel that the French government is planning to lift restrictions in their announcement on Thursday. We are therefore optimistic that your holiday will go ahead on the 28th January"
latest report
Great reading French comments on twitter feed. They think the compelling reason to travel is shameful, politically motivated and serves no public health purpose just as we do. They're desperate to comr here visit family and loved ones as much as we are desperate to go over there.

Love the solidarity vive la France.
snow report
With 350k cases in a day (with limited testing) it’s time to put France back on our own red list
snow conditions
up4it wrote:
With 350k cases in a day (with limited testing) it’s time to put France back on our own red list

Yes, there is the question of how “safe” is it to visit France right now, never mind banning Brits…..talk about taking coals to Newcastle!!!
snow report
Yes!

Have that Macron Eh oh!

Much prefer Austria anyway
snow report
Received email from Maeva tonight informing us that they have unilaterally changed the T+Cs of our HT booking to La Tania (same self-catering accommodation we have booked for the last 7 years) … the drop-dead date for cancelling our booking for a full refund has now been brought forward from 4 February to this Sunday. Reason given was the current travel ban. Absolute dangly bits. I suspect they’re confident that rules will be relaxed this week and are trying to “lock” us in (knowing very well that these rules may change again). I will try and have a “sensible” conversation with them tomorrow.
snow conditions
I didn’t type “dangly bits”
ski holidays
haggishunter wrote:
Arctic Roll wrote:

How many more would be off ‘because of covid’ if there wasn’t the isolation, which part if this is so difficult to understand?

I think the point is more broad, if no one isolated and weren’t Ill enough not to work what would that look like.

85% prevention of severe disease with 1 omicron is ~70% reduction of hospitalisation of the existing 15% meaning that 4.5% are now at risk of severe disease. Approx 3m people assuming that risk is flat across uk population of 67.2m ( I imagine the number is much lower than 3m)
snow report
DJL wrote:
Monty72 wrote:
Julief wrote:

Taking a screenshot of your Covid pass also means you aren't dependent on the NHS app wink .
snow conditions
up4it wrote:

+ 1
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy