Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
Mr Marmot wrote:
Tris wrote:
With the latest requirement of a negative PCR....can anybody answer this? Can't find any concrete info anywhere.

We are due to go to France for Xmas. My wife and kids got Covid just over a month ago and are now fully recovered. We were told that PCR tests would show as positive for next 90 days? Are we screwed?

I have personal experience of this situation.

The more sensitive PCR test can still react as positive to the dead genetic material from a previous Covid infection for a period of up to 90 days. In reality, only a very very small percentage of people will still show positive at 90 days whereas many would still test positive just a week or so after the end of the recommended isolation period.

I personally tested positive for Covid during the Summer after taking a PCR test, but then I took another PCR test just five weeks after the first and tested negative.

For your own peace of mind you could pay for a PCR test right now that you take at home and send to the lab in the post for around £35 per person (includes delivery and return postage costs) and hopefully getting a negative will make the next couple of weeks more bearable.

Many thanks for posting your experience around PCR, super helpful. Luckily it seems antigen will be accepted (hopefully home test kits too). My wife did a lateral flow last night which came back negative. Good advice on paying for a test beforehand just to be sure. Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is there anywhere you can ski , double jabbed but not 3rd booster ????
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Info received which will be useful for those heading to Les Arcs 1950. Not strictly speaking travel, but may become so if UK introduces negative test requirement pre-return to UK. Posted also in Les Arcs 2021/2022 thread.

E-mail this evening from Arc 1950 Resort Club:

Good evening to all of you,
We are pleased to confirm that a PCR and antigenic testing center will be set up in the Village.
These tests will be performed by health professionals, 7 days a week.
We will give you more information on the location and opening hours in the next few days.

We look forward to seeing you soon.

Best wishes.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@susieski, yes . France doesn't require a booster as long as your 2nd jab was no more than 7 months ago (a new rule which will be coming in on Jan 15th).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@philipb,

I think you need the booster if you're older than 65.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just when you thought it was all safe to go . . .
https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/UK-France-travel-firms-still-awaiting-clarification-on-new-test-rules.
So, still no definite statement on which test - is Lateral FLow ok?

Consulate General of France in London:
"This article is currently under modification.
The new measures will be posted shortly on the website of the Consulate General of France in London as well as the website of the Ministry of the Interior."
Brilliant! Puzzled
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It’s entirely clear from the French decree - antigen tests ok as long as they detect the N protein. They pretty much all do.

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/jorf/id/JORFTEXT000044394836
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Already bought two antigen tests, £22 each, but, in the context of a much hoped for ski trip with over £2k already laid out, in the midst of a global pandemic and an ever changing situation, we're not really fussed if we lose the 40 quid and have to buy more expensive PCR test. Not that we are loaded or anything, we are just desperate to get skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andy from embsay, I hope you are right.
Meantime have ordered C19 Antigen Test (paid up front) and Boots PCR (booked for Monday, but no payment until actual test).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Confused…where there are 24/48 hour limits on tests, is this time from test or time from result…..just trying to work through logistics for drive to France next week & trying to work to worst case scenario (outward bound 24 hour PCR test for family)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@philipb,
Oh that’s good news. It’s a minefield!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Cb72, time from test makes sense. It makes no odds how long it takes to deliver the results, they're still referring back to the time that the sample was taken.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So is it 24/48/72 hour for a PCR?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dannyh101 wrote:

What are you referring to? Entering France or the UK?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Entering france.
snow report
welshflyer wrote:
@philipb,

I think you need the booster if you're older than 65.

I still think it’s fine to not have currently had the booster if you’re only 65 IF your second does is under 7 months old.
snow conditions
@Dannyh101, you need a PCR or antigen (lateral flow) test 48hrs before arrival if vaccinated. There are several links to the decree in this thread.
ski holidays
andy from embsay wrote:
Dannyh101 wrote:

What are you referring to? Entering France or the UK?

Entering France, via Geneva, I’m fully vaccinated and have a PCR booked tomorrow, thinking 72hrs was ok but now I’m hearing 24/48hrs, we travel on Sunday.
latest report
You do not need a PCR test to enter either Switzerland or France. Buy a LF from C19 testing for £22. Order it tomorrow it should be delivered Saturday. Do the test as soon as it arrives you should get the certificate back before the end of Saturday.

Switzerland accepts PCR 72 hours ahead, unfortunately France doesn’t. So you may as well use a lateral flow test 48hrs before as it works for both countries.
snow report
andy from embsay wrote:
You do not need a PCR test to enter either Switzerland or France. Buy a LF from C19 testing for £22. Order it tomorrow it should be delivered Saturday. Do the test as soon as it arrives you should get the certificate back before the end of Saturday.

Switzerland accepts PCR 72 hours ahead, unfortunately France doesn’t. So you may as well use a lateral flow test 48hrs before as it works for both countries.

Thanks
ski holidays
Looking at the ministère de l'Intérieur site, it appears correct that there is no requirement for the Antigen.

https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualites/L-actu-du-Ministere/Certificate-of-international-travel

However this is notoriously laggy in its updates. The decree passed today shown in the news suggests the requirement for the Antigen (LF) test will indeed be a requirement. Is there anything concrete to say it isn't, other than the link above?
latest report
I’m not sure why people are making such a big deal of this. The decree states clearly that an antigen test that detects the N protein is acceptable. The £22 C19 lateral flow test meets the criteria. Just use that.
snow report
Agreed - already purchased mine for £19 from https://www.testingforall.org/product/fit-to-fly-lateral-flow-test/
snow conditions
andy from embsay wrote:
I’m not sure why people are making such a big deal of this. The decree states clearly that an antigen test that detects the N protein is acceptable. The £22 C19 lateral flow test meets the criteria. Just use that.

Maybe they are making a big deal of it because it's a nonsense and a shambles.

If we had stayed in the EU these tests wouldn't be required, so the gormless EU bureaucrats think Covid knows that we are non-members. I don't know whether to laugh or cry! rolling eyes
ski holidays
@Bergmeister, I’m not commenting on the sense or otherwise of the rules - but folks seem to be determined to make it more complicated than it is.
ski holidays
andy from embsay wrote:

I did originally buy a LF but then after reading about needing one with the N protein thought it was safer to go PCR.
latest report
Bergmeister wrote:
andy from embsay wrote:

If we had stayed in the EU these tests wouldn't be required, so the gormless EU bureaucrats think Covid knows that we are non-members. I don't know whether to laugh or cry! rolling eyes

It's nothing to do with "gormless bereaucrats". These are the requirements for Third Country status countries, a status of which the UK did decide to become. If you have a grievance with this you should take it up with the British, rather than the French.

There is an age old saying in life - "if you play with feathers you'll end up getting your back bottom tickled". Regardless of your political persuasion it's time for you and other British residents to own this political change and accept responsibility for it rather than blaming the EU or its members.
snow report
Dannyh101 wrote:
andy from embsay wrote:

I did originally buy a LF but then after reading about needing one with the N protein thought it was safer to go PCR.

They pretty much all detect the n protein. Some idiot journalist on The Local who couldn’t be bothered to do a bit of googling wrote that most lat flow tests didn’t. It took me less than 10 minutes this morning to find out that is complete nonsense.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
userscott wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
andy from embsay wrote:

It's nothing to do with "gormless bereaucrats". These are the requirements for Third Country status countries, a status of which the UK did decide to become. If you have a grievance with this you should take it up with the British, rather than the French.

There is an age old saying in life - "if you play with feathers you'll end up getting your back bottom tickled". Regardless of your political persuasion it's time for you and other British residents to own this political change and accept responsibility for it rather than blaming the EU or its members.

Are you really saying that you agree that a deadly virus knows the difference between an EU member and non member when it comes to infection?

Its nothing to do with my political persuasion - just common sense. Where is the science that supports this nonsense? Puzzled
snow conditions
Bergmeister wrote:
userscott wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
andy from embsay wrote:

Are you really saying that you agree that a deadly virus knows the difference between an EU member and non member when it comes to infection?

Its nothing to do with my political persuasion - just common sense. Where is the science that supports this nonsense? Puzzled

It doesn't need any science, it's not based on science. It's based on the fact that as previously stated, the UK now enjoys Third Country status. Nowhere else on the planet gets special treatment from the EU as a third country and so neither does the UK.
ski holidays
userscott wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
andy from embsay wrote:

That's an utter contradiction.

It's an entirely political decision to base your testing/vaccination requirements on EU or 3rd country status - unless you're suggesting C19 is some kind of sentient organism, which knows where we all come from?

To treat UK based travellers differently simply because they are not in the EU is indeed gormless.
latest report
NickYoung wrote:
userscott wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
andy from embsay wrote:

That's an utter contradiction.

It's an entirely political decision to base your testing/vaccination requirements on EU or 3rd country status - unless you're suggesting C19 is some kind of sentient organism, which knows where we all come from?

To treat UK based travellers differently simply because they are not in the EU is indeed gormless.

Again, it's not a contradiction. Nobody, either myself or in the EU, has suggested that the virus has the ability to differentiate between an EU member and a British Citizen. What they have said, which is what I'm saying, is that the UK is required to test as it only has "Third Country Status". This is bound in law and covered in the Withdrawal Agreement should you wish to peruse it. There are political implications for most things in life, and one such as letting Member status go from the EU will invariably lead to less than favourable situations such as this. I care not about yours or any other persons political persuasion and I don't think it's relevant to this discussion, I'm just explaining for those that are struggling to comprehend, the reasons for UK travellers requiring a test compared to say, a Belgian citizen.

I don't know how to make it any clearer.
snow report
I’m sure nobody is wanting to make a big deal, just all wanting to cover all eventualities….. in an ever changing world of new rules/policies/politics….when we all really just want to be on the slopes!!
latest report
Nobody...has suggested that the virus has the ability to differentiate between an EU member and a British Citizen. What they have said...is that the UK is required to test as it only has "Third Country Status".

That's a contradiction based solely upon country of origin.

Either a test has universal value, or it has no value.
latest report
@userscott, completely agree - we left the club ( Stupid thing to do but we're stuck with it for now), we can't complain about the club's rules . Thankfully France haven't imposed the same rules for travel into their country as we have into the UK (PCR plus isolation till you get the result) because if they had I'd imagine most people's ski holidays would be buggered!
snow report
philipb wrote:
@userscott, completely agree - we left the club ( Stupid thing to do but we're stuck with it for now), we can't complain about the club's rules . Thankfully France haven't imposed the same rules for travel into their country as we have into the UK (PCR plus isolation till you get the result) because if they had I'd imagine most people's ski holidays would be buggered!

Exactly, couldn't agree more.

This thread has become about as typically selfishly British as can be - we are getting upset because the nasty EU requires Brits to spend £19 on a Lateral Flow all the while we are making others struggle with PCR and Isolation. Very Happy
ski holidays
philipb wrote:
@userscott, completely agree - we left the club ( Stupid thing to do but we're stuck with it for now), we can't complain about the club's rules .

That's barmy!

You don't design an border entry regime based on who's in your "club" - you base it on scientific data.

"Third country" is a political status, not a health status.

It's an utterly racist and punitive mentality.
latest report
NickYoung wrote:
philipb wrote:
@userscott, completely agree - we left the club ( Stupid thing to do but we're stuck with it for now), we can't complain about the club's rules .

That's barmy!

You don't design an border entry regime based on who's in your "club" - you base it on scientific data.

Well if you're so sure, perhaps you could explain why the UK requires the French to take a PCR and Isolate?
latest report
@Nick Young While I appreciate the complaint that the variance in the rules governing arrivals does not seem to be evidence-based, I'm surprised that anyone should be, well, surprised. If only because after Brexit, there is now no requirement or incentive for the EU to harmonise their rules with ours - why should they bother? Moreover, the issue is more nuanced, surely?

Isn't it that within the EU, the authorities know that all the countries have signed up to a broad portfolio of consistent standards and agreements and the ECJ has authority to impose these. Outside the EU, countries have no agreements with them, and no recognition of the ECJ as arbiter of the rules. Countries outside the EU can say what they want but their words are meaningless, unless they have individual, formal Reciprocal Agreements that includes recognition of the ECJ or equivalent. Thus there may be one set of rules for EU travellers and different rules for non-EU arrivals. And this is principally because the EU can't rely on the veracity of any statement made by a non-Eu country regarding their epidemiological standards and how they're imposed. Because they are not bound by international agreement and judicial oversight,

The UK left the EU for a variety of reasons and believed the benefits would outweigh the disadvantages, and we now have to live with it. This is one disadvantage: that there is inconsistency in the epidemiological rules being applied to the UK versus EU citizens when arriving in an EU country. But I don't see this as arbitrary, racist or punitive: we refused to sign-up to the EU's rules and governance structure, so we can't be given the same level of trust as an EU partner state which does - and so the rules that are applied to us increasingly diverge as time goes on. Not from any conscious decision, but because there is no requirement to force consistency.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 3-12-21 0:49; edited 13 times in total
snow report
NickYoung wrote:
philipb wrote:

That's barmy!

It was based on 'Who's in your "club"' before the pandemic. Why are you expecting it to be any different now?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy