Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
Pieandrun wrote:
I am considering hot air balloon from Wandsworth to Belgium, rickshaw down to Switzerland and then a socially distanced elephant, with negative lateral flow, over the alps and into France.

traditionally, elephants are used to cross the mountains into Italy, not France...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Was chatting to a ski shop owner in France and they reckon Brits account for around 40pct of their revenue. Brits tend to spend a lot on accessories and clothing such base layers and correct goggles etc while in the store, while the French kids are already decked out head toe in Wedze / Decathlon kit. The Dutch did backfill a little this year as many had to divert their usual trips for Austria back to France as I understand not all had the mandated 3 jabs required to ski in Austria.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boardiac wrote:
Pieandrun wrote:
I am considering hot air balloon from Wandsworth to Belgium, rickshaw down to Switzerland and then a socially distanced elephant, with negative lateral flow, over the alps and into France.

traditionally, elephants are used to cross the mountains into Italy, not France...
Laughing Laughing

Maybe there's a load of used elephants somewhere in Italy - one (not very careful) owner?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ozboy wrote:
Was chatting to a ski shop owner in France and they reckon Brits account for around 40pct of their revenue. Brits tend to spend a lot on accessories and clothing such base layers and correct goggles etc while in the store, while the French kids are already decked out head toe in Wedze / Decathlon kit. The Dutch did backfill a little this year as many had to divert their usual trips for Austria back to France as I understand not all had the mandated 3 jabs required to ski in Austria.

according to under a new name, brits only make up 10% the revenue.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Club Med have just posted all holidays cancelled up until 9th January.
Club Med are probably the best politically connected Tour Operator in France (despite now being Chinese owned) because of their massive footprint and collaboration with ESF.
Maybe they are now just rolling their cancellations on a week-by-week basis but hopefully they know something we don't???
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mr.Egg wrote:
Ozboy wrote:

Am only repeating what the French shop owner mentioned but if is not insignificant and the impact is perhaps disproportionate to just looking at number of lift passes sold.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We are due to fly out to Lyon with Jet2 on the 29th January - 'Optimistically' or maybe stupidly I still thinking that it will happen but if it doesn't when will Jet2 actually cancel the flight?
Anyone with recent Jet2 bookings that can offer any info on this - i have emailed them last week but still no reply.
We have car hire on a free cancellation policy if you cancel 48hrs before the pickup time and work will left me cancel my holidays if i give them some notice.
Hopefully Macron will see sense and open up the boarder but if not, I'm hoping i get at least 2-3 days' notice it's definitely not happening

Thanks
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well I've taken the plunge and booked Eurotunnel for Saturday 15 Jan UK-F and Saturday 22 Jan F-UK.

Hopefully the speculative predictions are correct, both on entry into France and dropping testing before return to UK. Will ensure the apartment is available for the week after ours just in case we still need to test and get a positive.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cancelled my trip on 5th Feb only because I wanted to control the controlables. Will be going skiing that week, hopefully in France but if not then somewhere else.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mr.Egg wrote:
Ozboy wrote:

That 10% could be the difference between a ski hire shop or restaurant working their socks off for the season and making a small profit to carry them through the quieter summer period or busting a gut for 5 months for absolutely zero profit and struggling to survive as a business during the summer.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Ozboy, that 10% was only what was reported on local radio as across the board average, so if @Mr.Egg has better data, he can send them to Radio Mont Blanc.

At an acute level, a friend's bar takings - in a quarter that is usually very full with young brits - are down 50%.

@Robbie Loo, even if the magic 15th sees a relaxation for the uk, Club Med afaik only do weekly, Sunday-Sunday bookings so their earliest possible arrivals would be Jan 16th and there are probably costs they can avoid by cancelling up to that point. Maybe.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@pbsmith, Probably does not help but when the French announcement restricting access was first made, on morning of Thursday 16th. I think, Jet 2 cancelled my Monday 18th flight that afternoon.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boardiac wrote:
Pieandrun wrote:

But Hanibal didn't have a chalet booked for half term in France.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Robbie Loo, strange so why can I see a full carpark across the valley from me and earlier I was skiing down between all the Club Med Penguins in their big groups?

Normal ESF groups are 6 but Club Med ESF groups are 12.

Local business do not much care for Club Med (would almost say despise) as they bring no revenue to the resorts restaurants and bars.

Plus next week they will be accomodating the rather unsavoury Russians, as I can't see Club Med loosing that revenue!

And been up the hill today and would say the Frenchies of the last couple of weeks have been replaced by Dutch, Belgians, Italians and Polish who interestingly enough unlike the French, do not stop for lunch judging by how busy the pistes were at 13:00.

And still many kids all around.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
caughtanedge wrote:
boardiac wrote:
Pieandrun wrote:

Laughing Laughing

Maybe there's a load of used elephants somewhere in Italy - one (not very careful) owner?

Good point, thanks for the tip. I'll perhaps change my route and pick up an old pachyderm on Italian eBay. Anything for a week on the piste!
snow conditions
The French national assembly is in disarray arguing over the vaccine pass (source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/04/french-opposition-mps-criticised-after-vaccine-pass-debate-suspended). Unfortunately I don't think allowing UK tourists back in is high on their agenda.

ukoldschool wrote:
Rumours of an announcement by Macron in the next few days, hoped to include details of opening up tourist areas for Vaxxed UK traveller's..

fingers crossed

What is your source for this 'rumour'?
latest report
@Weathercam, I suspect @Robbie Loo was talking about CM hols being sold in the uk ...
latest report
Mr.Egg wrote:
Ozboy wrote:

That infographic on the previous page was from the FRENCH Le Dauphine and the article had numerous quotes from Resort Tourist Directors and this was the Front Page.

I personally know two hotel owners that stand to loose upwards of €75k and Serre Che is by no-means a Brit Centric resort!

under a new name wrote:
@Weathercam, I suspect @Robbie Loo was talking about CM hols being sold in the uk ...

@under a new name, aaahhhhh to be sure, but any excuse to have a dig at them Laughing
snow report
pbsmith wrote:
We are due to fly out to Lyon with Jet2 on the 29th January - 'Optimistically' or maybe stupidly I still thinking that it will happen but if it doesn't when will Jet2 actually cancel the flight?
Anyone with recent Jet2 bookings that can offer any info on this - i have emailed them last week but still no reply.
We have car hire on a free cancellation policy if you cancel 48hrs before the pickup time and work will left me cancel my holidays if i give them some notice.
Hopefully Macron will see sense and open up the boarder but if not, I'm hoping i get at least 2-3 days' notice it's definitely not happening

Thanks

We have a Jet2 flight booked for 15 January which has not been cancelled yet.
snow report
@Weathercam, I'm not saying Club Med is closed, I'm saying they are not taking bookings on their UK website for UK clients for holidays before 9th Jan.
ski holidays
We have flights into Geneva Thursday 10th Feb, here we normally pick up a car that has been left be the owner of the chalet so we can drive to France (La Clusaz). So I have two dates to keep an eye on.
An early opening up date which will allow the chalet owners to drive from the UK to France where they later fly home leaving the car at Geneva airport for the coming season (obviously this would have been done before now normally). If this does not happen the next date will be fingers crossed for opening up by the 10th Feb where I will have to bite the bullet and hire a car or sort transfers. Either way I just hope things change. Fingers crossed we hear tomorrow that the end of these restrictions will be the 15th and they are are not extended then, it will pout a to stop all this uncertainty and speculation
latest report
Pieandrun wrote:

Good point, thanks for the tip. I'll perhaps change my route and pick up an old pachyderm on Italian eBay. Anything for a week on the piste!

When you're done with it just call WeBuyAny Eli'
snow conditions
puplett wrote:
pbsmith wrote:

Thanks

We have a Jet2 flight booked for 15 January which has not been cancelled yet.

We're booked to go to Chambery on 15th Jan with Jet2. No sign of a cancellation yet so I'm remaining optomistic... or should that say deluded!
snow conditions
Boris to hold 5pm press conference. Fingers crossed the return to UK and Day 2 tests are scrapped.
ski holidays
HilbertSpace wrote:
Boris to hold 5pm press conference. Fingers crossed the return to UK and Day 2 tests are scrapped.

I'm not sure if it will be mentioned today. I'm sure I read somewhere they are meeting on Wednesday to discuss it, so would expect an announcement on Thursday.
snow report
@musehead, by "they" do you mean the UK govt? Getting into France is my issue, not coming back!!! Very Happy
ski holidays
musehead wrote:
HilbertSpace wrote:

I'm not sure if it will be mentioned today. I'm sure I read somewhere they are meeting on Wednesday to discuss it, so would expect an announcement on Thursday.

Really? How strong is this rumour?
ski holidays
@Perty, Yes, sorry was referring to the UK government potential announcement this week to change the arrival testing requirements!

@Handy Turnip, From here:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/travel-latest-covid-restrictions-2022-holiday-pcr-test/

Quote:

Pressure is mounting on the Government to reduce the testing burden on holidaymakers when international travel rules are reviewed on Wednesday.

Some travel industry insiders are calling for pre-departure tests to be scrapped entirely and day 2 PCR tests to be downgraded to rapid tests, with rules requiring arrivals to self-isolate until they receive their result to end.

Travel consultant Paul Charles tweeted that though he expected the requirement to take a test before returning to the UK be axed, arrival test rules should also be eased.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Travel ski Express train for January 14th has been cancelled as its chartered by CdA who are the dominant French Ski resort operator and thus close to the French Govt. I guess theres no change in the French Rules for now.
https://www.uk.travelski.com/travelski-express
https://planetski.eu/2022/01/04/what-may-skiing-look-like-for-rest-of-the-season/

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 4-01-22 16:05; edited 2 times in total
snow report
[quote="snowqueen50"][quote="JamesHJ"]
snowqueen50 wrote:

I can't quite believe that any first world economy would deliberately want to reduce tourist income for no reason at all - whatever the nationality of the tourists.

I couldn't quite believe that any first world economy would deliberately want to reduce its ability to do all sorts of trade, and especially services (such as financial services) with its biggest customer base, but that's exactly what we did...
snow conditions
@boredsurfin, I’m massively clutching at straws here, but the French rules as they stand are due to be in place into 15th Jan regardless of any decision this week. That would mean this train would be cancelled anyway?
ski holidays
French Hospitals in Alpine regions quite often run close to maximum capacity during the ski season. By reducing the number of visitors (ie Brits) the French have effectively ensured that their Hospitals in the Alpine regions have some spare capacity IF Covid Omicron turns out to be the same as Delta.
Early indications are visitor number were reduced by 14% over the Xmas/NYE period in the Tarrentaise. https://www.ledauphine.com/economie/2022/01/04/frequentation-touristique-en-pays-de-savoie-la-montagne-decue

Also from the same source French cases close to 300,000 Shocked

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 4-01-22 16:12; edited 4 times in total
snow conditions
@boredsurfin, you mean "CdA"? I think it may have been cancelled as Eurostar aren't running the underlying service?
ski holidays
I had a trip planned for Val Thorens on the 29th Jan. Whilst I think the French may change the rules before then I'm looking to refund all my bookings beforehand and if not look to book somewhere else. Does anyone happen to know the best way to get a refund for pre-booked lift passes for 3-Vallees at all?

Cheers
ski holidays
adithorp wrote:
Pieandrun wrote:

When you're done with it just call WeBuyAny Eli'

Laughing watch out for the "admin fee"
latest report
@under a new name, Yep I meant CdA I picked it up from that Travelski.com link
Certainly the train is 'fully chartered' from Eurostar but its not a Eurostar 'service' to BstM as far as I know.
snow report
mikeyrobbo08 wrote:
I had a trip planned for Val Thorens on the 29th Jan. Whilst I think the French may change the rules before then I'm looking to refund all my bookings beforehand and if not look to book somewhere else. Does anyone happen to know the best way to get a refund for pre-booked lift passes for 3-Vallees at all?

Cheers

Bottom of the page, click 'More Info'

https://www.skipass-meribel.com/en/covid19
ski holidays
Has anyone had any luck getting a refund from BA when flying into Geneva for a French ski holiday?

Due to go out on the 15th but have a feeling the flights won’t get refunded even if the restrictions are still in place.
snow report
paul9619 wrote:
Has anyone had any luck getting a refund from BA when flying into Geneva for a French ski holiday?

Due to go out on the 15th but have a feeling the flights won’t get refunded even if the restrictions are still in place.

Why would they refund the flight if its not cancelled and they still run it? UK visitors can enter the destination you are flying to s.t. to being vaccinated if an adult. (Assuming you haven’t bought the flights as part of a BA holiday package to France?)
snow report
@paul9619, depends on when you booked. Option to have voucher and move to another time is normal. It seems sensible in the circumstances on the basis that BA still run the flight. If they don't run the flight then you get a refund option.

I've used BA a few time recently and having had a downer on them generally, have been more impressed.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy